April 18, 2024, 07:28:10 PM

Author Topic: Scams Thread  (Read 4347 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Scams Thread
« on: March 18, 2008, 06:07:08 PM »
On the news tonight this story came up.....

People receive a cheque in de mail and are asked to send back about 90%  :o via western union right away
then they deposit the cheque in their accounts and it BOUNCES  ;).........NOOOOO......  ::)
why is it that SOME people are SO gullible?

what other SCAMS are there out there?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 06:11:44 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: Scams!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 07:00:36 PM »
who ever this happen to it very good,stupidity should be ah crime.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 08:28:36 AM »
If stupidity was a crime d US will be like old Australia a prison colony
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:20:27 AM »
a big scam in T&T was de hiring ah Wim.

People did actually believe that he was ah coach oui.   :devil:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 09:58:23 AM »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Guyana leader in Facebook 'scam'
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 02:07:12 PM »
Whoever make dem Manning profiles will be running scared  ;D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7807466.stm

Guyana leader in Facebook 'scam'

The president of Guyana has asked police to investigate who is impersonating him on Facebook, the social networking website.

A government statement said that Bharrat Jagdeo was not a Facebook member, the Associated Press reported.

The apparent Jagdeo page has more than 170 supporters, and features images of the president as well as his biography.

Last year, a Moroccan was jailed for setting up a Facebook profile in the name of a member of the royal family.

Facebook also removed two bogus profiles of Bilawal Bhutto, son of the murdered Pakistani politician Benazir Bhutto, after an investigation found the entries "not authentic".

Questions raised

President Jagdeo's page has two photograph albums, one of a well-known bridge in Guyana, the Berbice, and the other of international leaders, some with the president.

Only three people have posted messages, including a man who questions whether the profile was authentic.

"Is this President Bharrat Jagdeo's personal Facebook? Is it his official one?" the message reads.

The Guyana government said that officials also discovered that someone had impersonated the president of the South American nation on another social networking site.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Guyana leader in Facebook 'scam'
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 02:19:01 PM »
Guyana police cyah even find dey own shadow is internet they'll investigate?

Dem even have internet?

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 03:30:42 PM »
Patrick have bout 5 facebook...One actually is a good page
One ah dem is reel kicks, i ain't go say which one

Doh talk for Basdeo. Oh gorm... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 11:32:37 PM »
Patrick have bout 5 facebook...One actually is a good page
One ah dem is reel kicks, i ain't go say which one

Doh talk for Basdeo. Oh gorm... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

:D :D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Scams Thread
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 06:01:11 PM »
America's biggest rip-offs
By Julianne Pepitone (CNN)

Text messages - 6,500% markup
Text messages are short, quick and cheap to transmit. So why are they adding so much to your wireless bill?

The messages are such a tiny piece of data that they cost carriers only about one-third of a cent to deliver, according to computer scientist Srinivasan Keshav, who testified before U.S. senators on the issue last summer.

But on a pay-per-text plan, the 160-character messages typically cost 20 cents outgoing and 10 cents incoming. That's a markup of as much as 6,500%. OMG!

"It's pretty much pure profit," Keshav says. "Carriers would argue they put that money toward investing in new technology."

Even if customers sign up for an unlimited texting plan for, say, $10 a month, carriers are still cashing in considering that their overhead is basically $0. That's a lot to pay for a few LOLs.

Movie theater popcorn - 900% markup
A medium bag of popcorn costs just 60 cents to make but retails for $6, a whopping 900% markup. That's enough to make "Avatar" fans turn blue.

Richard McKenzie, an economics professor at University of California-Irvine, says theater owners mark up the snack so much because they don't make a profit elsewhere.

McKenzie, author of the 2008 book "Why Popcorn Costs So Much at the Movies: And Other Pricing Puzzles," says that out of your $10 movie ticket, only a tiny percentage goes to the theater's profits.

"Popcorn is what pays for a lot of stuff in the movie theater," McKenzie says. "A lot of theater owners tell me, 'I consider myself working in concessions, not movies.'"

'Free' credit reports that'll cost you
There's nothing free about forking over $179 a year for information at Freecreditreport.com.

Instead you can go to AnnualCreditReport.com, which is run by the Federal Trade Commission, and get a truly free report once a year from each of the credit agencies: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.

Freecreditreport.com's catchy ditties can get stuck in your head for days -- but subscribing to the service will haunt your credit card bill for a year. When you sign up, you're asked for your credit card number. Then the site automatically enrolls you in its "Triple Advantage credit monitoring," which pledges to continuously track your credit status for $14.99 per month.

A rep for Experian, which owns Freecreditreport.com, says: "We do realize there are a very small percentage of consumers who genuinely do not understand they have signed up for a credit monitoring service. We work to resolve issues with these consumers on a case by case basis."

Technically, you have nine days to cancel the credit monitoring service before being charged, but many consumers have felt duped. The Better Business Bureau has received more than 11,000 complaints, and the site recently made its policy more prominent on its Web pages.

Name-brand painkillers - 60% markup
Is Advil's sleek design worth 160% more than the same medicine in a plain package?

A 50-count bottle of 200 mg Advil tablets costs $8.49, versus just $5.29 for the exact same bottle of generic ibuprofen at a Duane Reade drug store in New York.

Brand names may give us more peace of mind, but the cheaper stuff works just as well, and in exactly the same way. It's required to, by law.

The Food and Drug Administration mandates that generic drugs must be as safe and effective as brand names. Generics have to use the same active ingredients, however they may contain different inactive ingredients like coloring or flavor agents. For its part, the company says it "stands firmly behind the value Advil brings to consumers."

But at a time when many of us are already feeling the pinch financially, a fancy package just doesn't seem worth the headache.

Wine at restaurants - 500% markup
Ordering wine in a restaurant can cost six times as much as drinking the same bottle at home. At the Olive Garden in Manhattan's Times Square, a bottle of Sutter Home's White Zinfandel goes for $24 -- but it retails online for as little as $4 per bottle.

Restaurants mark up cheaper bottles by an average of three times the retail price, while the prices of higher end wines are typically doubled, says Ronn Wiegand, a master sommelier who runs the industry newsletter RestaurantWine.

For instance, a 1985 "La Grande Dame" Veuve Cliquot that goes for about $495 online is marked up 222% to $1,600 at the swank New York City restaurant Per Se. Olive Garden didn't return calls for comment, but for its part Per Se says: "The total cost of the wine and service is calculated up front...the beverage team sets the highest standards to be sure that the quality of the wine and experience exceeds our guests' expectations."

Think that's rough? Prices for wine sold by the glass are tripled or even quadrupled, Wiegand says, since restaurants have to account for the chance that they won't sell the whole bottle before it spoils.

At prices like that, guess we'll be skipping dessert.

College textbooks - $900 a year!
Each semester, college students shell out hundreds of dollars on textbooks they'll use for only a few months. According to a House Committee on Education and the Workforce, the average estimated cost of books and supplies is approximately $900 per year.

And a separate study conducted by the Government Accountability Office found that textbook prices nearly tripled from 1986 to 2004 -- a jump that's twice the rate of annual inflation over the last two decades.

Public-interest groups say this is a rip-off. They blame greedy publishers and bookstores for driving up prices by issuing unnecessary new editions that render older texts worthless without adding much new information, as well as by "bundling" books with other materials like CD-ROMs.

Students have no choice but to buy the textbooks for their courses. But don't worry, kids -- at the end of the semester, you can probably sell that $250 calculus tome back to the bookstore for a buck or two.

Super gasoline - 15% markup
If you're filling up your tank with super gasoline, chances are your wallet will soon be running on empty.

The special stuff costs up to 20-40 cents more per gallon than regular gasoline, even though it doesn't do anything to improve the performance of most cars. With regular gas averaging about $2.72 a gallon, that translates to a 15% premium.

"It's like feeding your dog more expensive food and expecting it to jump higher," says Gabriel Shenhar, senior auto test engineer at Consumer Reports.

When Shenhar tests cars, he doesn't put much stock in the manufacturer's "recommendations for optimal performance" -- instead, he uses the fuel grade that's explicitly required. You can find the requirement printed on the inside flap of your car's gas tank.

The bottom line: Read your owner's manual. While some high-performance or luxury cars may need super gas, your average Celica doesn't.

Hotel mini-bars - 1,300% markup
The chocolate bars and sodas in a hotel mini-bar can look alluring to tired and hungry travelers. But you'll rack up a huge bill if you open up that fridge. Gummy Bears for $14, anyone?

Oyster Hotel Reviews (oyster.com) sends senior editor Will Begeny to hotels across the country, undercover, to get the skinny on hotel stays -- and he's found some egregious examples of price-gouging. Across the board, items are usually marked up by 3-4 times the retail price.

Among his findings in Manhattan: a $10 pint of water at the Mansfield Hotel; $150 "wood-smoke" candles at the Gramercy Park Hotel; and a $12 toothpaste kit at W New York's The Tuscany.

"The minibar has turned into a sort of status symbol, especially for higher end hotels," Begeny says. "They'll include rarer products, like those candles, so people don't realize how overpriced they really are."

And yes, there really is a 1,300% markup on Gummy Bears at the luxury Manhattan hotel Omni Berkshire Place. None of these hotels returned requests for comment, but a rep for the American Hotel & Lodging Association said guests pay a premium for the mini-bar's convenience.

"People have started to realize this is a scam, that they can walk to a store a block away and spend half as much," Begeny says. "Of course, if hotels have to toss some of the older inventory because no one's buying it, they could mark it up even more."

Hotel in-room movies - 200% markup
In addition to the overpriced mini-bar, in-room movies are another quick way you can jack up the cost of your stay without even leaving the hotel.

That's because there's a high premium on the convenience: You could find yourself paying anywhere from $10-$15 based on how new and popular the movie is, says a rep for LodgeNet, a company that provides hotel programming.

By comparison, Blockbuster rents DVDs for about $5. LodgeNet notes that some of its offerings are still in theaters and not yet available for home viewing.

So instead of shelling out money to sit in bed and watch "The Hangover" for the tenth time, bring your own DVDs. Many hotels include DVD players in the rooms and some will even let you borrow a unit.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Scams Thread
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 01:59:27 PM »
New telephone scam

Got a call today. I played along to learn more.  The man want me to log onto a web site so he could fix problems on my computer related to my internet service provider. He said I should check my computer to see if I received a warning message from my provider that my personal data was being uploaded to the internet.

He ask me what type of computer I have. I tell him a IBM XT with a 8088 chip. He tell me to re-boot. I say now because I playing a game and I will lose my info. He called three times to get me to log on to his web site.

I needed a small diversion from my work today, the comic relief was nice.

His accent was from Africa or India.

But this is a new one for me, I wonder how many unsuspecting people will get ketch?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 03:01:50 AM by Flex »
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: New telephone scam
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 03:03:18 PM »

Got a call today. I played along to learn more.  The man want me to log onto a web site so he could fix problems on my computer related to my internet service provider. He said I should check my computer to see if I received a warning message from my provider that my personal data was being uploaded to the internet.

He ask me what type of computer I have. I tell him a IBM XT with a 8088 chip. He tell me to re-boot. I say now because I playing a game and I will lose my info. He called three times to get me to log on to his web site.

But this is a new one for me, I wonder how many unsuspecting people will get ketch?

Nice...
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »

Nice...

IBM XT with a 8088 chip.

:rotfl:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 04:10:22 PM »

I had one like that in 1992.

He was probably Nigerian.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »

IBM XT with a 8088 chip.

:rotfl:
[/quote]

Real people ain't go ketch that.   ;D
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Scams Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 03:03:22 AM »
1,272 scammed as pyramid crashes
By Sharlene Rampersad (Guardian).

Less than two weeks after the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) warned the public about getting involved in pyramid schemes, a “Blessing Circle” with over 1,200 members has “crashed,” leaving the majority of its members without their hard-earned money.

The Blessing Circle is just a disguised pyramid scheme and while “admins” give the groups different names, calling some “sou-sous,” they are all the same basic scheme, according to the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU).

In the pyramid scheme group called “Blessing Overflow,” members were asked to pay $700 to join with the promise that they would receive over $18,000 in “blessings.” The payout was dependent on recruiting new members to ‘invest.’

Now, group members are hunting for a man known only as “Cazim,” who was said to be the group administrator. Their hunt began several days ago when “Cazim” sent the following message via Telegraph to 1,272 members: “The main purpose of this activity was to help each other minimise their financial bondage which would have assisted (not give) in helping one attain financial stability. Due to unforeseen circumstances, it is with deep regret, Blessings overflow has suffered a lost in the investment of monies which has caused us to come to a complete halt (crash).

“With the decreasing volume of people investing within this sou-sou and many other factors and indicators, we found it to be the reason as to why we can’t generate enough profit to continue the flowers. We would like to thank all who have participated and entrusted in us, but we would also like to remind you about the rules. (Non-refundable) this was a risk! You’ll agreed to take this risk and the payment was an 8:1 ratio. This is far beyond our control and we do sincerely apologize. If you have any further questions please contact the administrator that advised you to the group. Thank you.”

Immediately after he sent the message, “Cazim” changed the group’s setting, barring its participants from responding to his message.

But the group’s members were able to continue communicating with each other by changing the group’s name.

“Who is Cazim…somebody must know him!!! Send some kinda information plz,” one member wrote.

“Imagine Cazim gone with we good good 700 nah he hadda feel it,” another wrote.

Others said they were never told their ‘investment’ was non-refundable. Threats against “Cazim’s” life soon began to pour in.

One member found a photo which they claimed was of “Cazim” and changed the group’s icon from a bag of money to the photo. “Cazim’s” Facebook profile name was also shared with the group.

Guardian Media reached out to the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service (TTPS), asking if there were any reports of people being scammed in the ‘Blessing Circle.’ However, TTPS corporate communication’s manager Francis Joseph said the police had no comment and did not respond to any other questions.

But the Blessings Circle is not the only group to crash in recent days. Several days ago, a screen recording from another Telegraph group was released on social media.

The “admin” sent a voice note to the group, saying, “Alright, I fed up watch and read and try to keep up and all kinda thing- hear what is the real scene- just like every other of those groups in Trinidad, this one just crash and that $700 was non-refundable, right?

“Everybody, when they join the group, know it was a risk, so that being said you all have a blessed night.”

But in response to her message, one member replied with a voice note, laced with expletives, threatening the member who she paid her $700 to.

The Facebook Marketplace, where groups are created to buy and sell products and services, has also been inundated over the past few days with posts encouraging the public to send private messages to join ‘blessing circles’ and ‘blessing sou-sous.’

Those who promote the schemes claim to have benefited from it already. There are different ‘investment’ amounts, ranging from $100 to $15,000, with thousands promised as payouts.

What Financial Intelligence Unit says:

The FIU, in a recent release, said pyramid schemes can be recognised due to the following features:

• They require persons to join groups and make an initial contribution of money with the promise of a significant pay-out or return on their contribution at a later date.

• They rely on the recruitment of new members to ensure high pay-outs—this is very different from “sou-sou” arrangements for example, which do not require the recruitment of new members and are not profit-making ventures.

• Early contributors to the scheme are paid from the money contributed by newer members. Existing members are encouraged to recruit new persons so that they can move to a different “level” or “circle” which promises higher returns on their contribution. The overall intention is to get to the “highest level” or to the top of the pyramid which will produce the highest pay-outs, while the new members, those at the bottom of the pyramid, receive the lowest returns on their contributions. When fewer or no new members join the scheme, it collapses and disappears along with the payment platform and the money that was ‘invested.’

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Scams Thread
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 11:41:10 PM »
These f---ing pyramid people attempting to give sou-sou a bad name. Sou-Sou is the poor woman and poor man's grass root banking system. The only way sou-sou have survived the centuries is the TRUST the various small groups of people in close proximities have in one another. Yes, there are cases where one partner take the hand and split the scence. But the system survived by the human beings who put TRUST in their close friends and families. By now people should know pyramid scheme is just what it says. the people at base carry the wieght. The 10% at the top carry the wealth with them. No TRUST = NO LOVE= NO PROGRESS!!!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 11:43:28 PM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>