March 28, 2024, 02:33:40 PM

Author Topic: 2021 T&T Super League Thread  (Read 6594 times)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 T&T Super League Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2021, 01:54:57 PM »
Independent review of the proposal(s) should occur. Exclusive reliance on insider concerns and interests is not advisable.

This is why an independent chairman is a good option, and allows the organisation to be run by people with relevant experience outside of football

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 02:28:25 AM »
Guardian Life sponsors UTT football team.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

THE University of TT’s (UTT) sport and recreation unit received a gift of $10,000 from Guardian Life of the Caribbean Ltd on Thursday as sponsorship of the UTT Patriots men’s football team.

Ian Pritchard, senior manager sport and recreation at UTT indicated his delight at having such partnerships with corporate TT, according to a UTT media release. Sponsorships such as this, Pritchard said “will definitely augur well for the continued development of UTT’s and the country’s young, talented sportsmen and sportswomen.”

UTT men’s football team coach Clayton Morris indicated that this financial assistance is just the beginning of an exciting, impactful relationship with Guardian Life. He also mentioned that the UTT Patriots and Guardian Life are currently in talks for the creation of an initiative that will positively influence communities in TT through sport.

Pritchard recognises that as the national university, UTT plays an integral role in the continued development and transition of student-athletes into national athletes. To achieve this; however, there must be continued support from corporate TT and other stakeholders in sport.

“The University of TT thanks Guardian Life of the Caribbean Ltd for their financial assistance of its men’s football team and looks forward to establishing more collaborations of this nature.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Super League loses Gary Prescott
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2021, 11:56:03 AM »
T&T Express

The Trinidad and Tobago Super League (TTSL) yesterday sent condolences to Prisons Football Club following the death of assistant coach Gary Prescott.

In a release yesterday, TTSL president Clayton Morris said: “I had the opportunity while conducting the UTT/MSP Futsal Outreach programme at the Youth Training  Centre (YTC), to experience first-hand his true qualities. With his gentle, yet firm manner, he maintained control of the youngsters and as Prisons FC head coach Anderson Veronique said, (he was a) very, very capable assistant coach.”

The release added: “Trinidad and Tobago Super League members join with the rest of the football fraternity to express condolences, love, strength and support to his family and may God grant you all the strength through this difficult time.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ottley lone TTSL presidential contender as Morris pulls out
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2021, 07:24:52 PM »
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

Incumbent T&T Super League president Clayton Morris will not seek re-election when the Super League AGM and Election of Officers take place on September 19.

Morris, a former defender and captain for the now infamous 'Strike Squad' football team of 1989, said he wants to continue in his role as a coach as football has always been his profession and passion. Morris' intention to not contest the election means that Ryan Ottley, the Defence Force manager, who Guardian Media Sports was told on Monday will be seeking the leadership position of the Super League, could be the lone candidate, come September 19.

According to Morris: "As I have already stated I'm not interested in running for the T&TSL presidency, and as coach I will not be contesting if and when the election is called. I was always considering taking up the president's role. It was always a struggle for me mentally because having to carry out my duty as a coach at the University of T&T, for which football is my passion.

It is my profession, so it was always a challenge or a struggle in taking up the presidential position, but then when I was told to carry on for just eight months, I said I would give it a try. As a strong believer in the Almighty, I saw it where God wanted me to step into the position to bring that calm and tranquillity that we have now in the Super League."

Morris was elected in the midst of a tense environment on November 29 last year, in which an agreement had to be reached unanimously among the clubs, to use a virtual platform for elections, for the first time in the Super League's history due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

He won the position unopposed after his lone challenger Jameson Rigues, a vice president of the T&TSL, pulled out at the very last moment. At that election, only nine of the expected 24 members voted.

Ottley's Defence Force is one of seven clubs that were suspended by the Super League back in 2018 for either being non-compliant, or for non-payment of registration fees to play in the League under then President Keith Look Loy. Some clubs that did not pay registration fees that year (2018), also suffered a further suspension in 2019, for not playing in a TTSL tournament for two consecutive years.

Following the AGM that preceded the election last year, a decision was taken for the seven suspended clubs- Defence Force, Central 500 FC, Harlem Strikers FC, Marabella FCC, 1976 Phoenix, WASA FC and the Youth Stars to get their house in order with regards to becoming compliant within a six-month period before they can be given voting rights at the election.

Morris said only the Army Coast-Guard Combination team followed instructions and has become compliant. Tobago team 1976 Phoenix began the process to become compliant but did not complete it.

Morris said the teams were given sufficient time to become compliant. They were given until June this year to fix all documentation concerning becoming a voting member again, and if they have not done so then they will not vote.

Morris was satisfied with his performance despite the COVID-19 pandemic that threatened to make his tenure useless. He said his executive was able to achieve a lot administratively, saying: "Most of the meetings we had, they took the form of discussions, whereas, with arguments, you want to find out who's right. With discussions, you find out what is right, and that has trickled down to the membership.

That kind of fighting in the Super League is no more. For the AGM you would normally have an activity report at which you would have a breakdown of the games played etc, but this time around, we have activities which we were able to accomplish administratively from the Board level. I was able to meet with the members via telephone to bring back communication."

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Super League loses Gary Prescott
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2021, 11:17:45 AM »
T&T Express

The Trinidad and Tobago Super League (TTSL) yesterday sent condolences to Prisons Football Club following the death of assistant coach Gary Prescott.

In a release yesterday, TTSL president Clayton Morris said: “I had the opportunity while conducting the UTT/MSP Futsal Outreach programme at the Youth Training  Centre (YTC), to experience first-hand his true qualities. With his gentle, yet firm manner, he maintained control of the youngsters and as Prisons FC head coach Anderson Veronique said, (he was a) very, very capable assistant coach.”

The release added: “Trinidad and Tobago Super League members join with the rest of the football fraternity to express condolences, love, strength and support to his family and may God grant you all the strength through this difficult time.”

Didn't he work for Williams Connection back in the day as well?

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2021, 08:57:20 PM »

Incumbent T&T Super League president Clayton Morris will not seek re-election when the Super League AGM and Election of Officers take place on September 19.

Morris, a former defender and captain for the now infamous 'Strike Squad' football team of 1989, said he wants to continue in his role as a coach as football has always been his profession and passion. Morris' intention to not contest the election means that Ryan Ottley, the Defence Force manager, who Guardian Media Sports was told on Monday will be seeking the leadership position of the Super League, could be the lone candidate, come September 19.

According to Morris: "As I have already stated I'm not interested in running for the T&TSL presidency, and as coach I will not be contesting if and when the election is called. I was always considering taking up the president's role. It was always a struggle for me mentally because having to carry out my duty as a coach at the University of T&T, for which football is my passion.

It is my profession, so it was always a challenge or a struggle in taking up the presidential position, but then when I was told to carry on for just eight months, I said I would give it a try. As a strong believer in the Almighty, I saw it where God wanted me to step into the position to bring that calm and tranquillity that we have now in the Super League."

Morris was elected in the midst of a tense environment on November 29 last year, in which an agreement had to be reached unanimously among the clubs, to use a virtual platform for elections, for the first time in the Super League's history due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

He won the position unopposed after his lone challenger Jameson Rigues, a vice president of the T&TSL, pulled out at the very last moment. At that election, only nine of the expected 24 members voted.

Ottley's Defence Force is one of seven clubs that were suspended by the Super League back in 2018 for either being non-compliant, or for non-payment of registration fees to play in the League under then President Keith Look Loy. Some clubs that did not pay registration fees that year (2018), also suffered a further suspension in 2019, for not playing in a TTSL tournament for two consecutive years.

Following the AGM that preceded the election last year, a decision was taken for the seven suspended clubs- Defence Force, Central 500 FC, Harlem Strikers FC, Marabella FCC, 1976 Phoenix, WASA FC and the Youth Stars to get their house in order with regards to becoming compliant within a six-month period before they can be given voting rights at the election.

Morris said only the Army Coast-Guard Combination team followed instructions and has become compliant. Tobago team 1976 Phoenix began the process to become compliant but did not complete it.

Morris said the teams were given sufficient time to become compliant. They were given until June this year to fix all documentation concerning becoming a voting member again, and if they have not done so then they will not vote.

Morris was satisfied with his performance despite the COVID-19 pandemic that threatened to make his tenure useless. He said his executive was able to achieve a lot administratively, saying: "Most of the meetings we had, they took the form of discussions, whereas, with arguments, you want to find out who's right. With discussions, you find out what is right, and that has trickled down to the membership.

That kind of fighting in the Super League is no more. For the AGM you would normally have an activity report at which you would have a breakdown of the games played etc, but this time around, we have activities which we were able to accomplish administratively from the Board level. I was able to meet with the members via telephone to bring back communication."

Is this another "Fergie" disciple?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2021, 12:38:04 AM »

Is this another "Fergie" disciple?

Don't understand. Explain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
EFA president Edwards to contest Super League presidency
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2021, 04:53:28 PM »
EFA president Edwards to contest Super League presidency
By Walt Alibey (T&T Guardian)

Keiron Edwards, the Eastern Football Association (EFA) president is giving up his position as president of the Eastern Football Association (EFA) to contest the upcoming Annual General Meeting (AGM) and election of officers of the T&T Super League, scheduled for September 19.

Edwards, a member of EFA outfit Malabar FC which competed in the Super League back in 2012, 2013 and 2014, said he was asked to enter the Super League and assist in the progress of the competition and bring resources to the league, and he accepted.

His entry into the leadership contest comes after a proposal and a secondment from two of the powerful Super League contenders, Edwards said, but he stopped short of revealing the names of the teams supporting him.

"I'm now putting together a slate. It's not fully finished, we have a couple more days to put together the slate to run, but we're on the right track.

Four persons have already been nominated from the team and we're hoping to have the balance next two days to contest the elections," Edwards explained.

To date, only Ryan Ottley, the Defence Force football manager is down to contest the position of president as incumbent Clayton Morris has decided not to seek re-election and Jameson Rigues, the beaten candidate in last November election also decided not to contest the position.

The eastern football boss is now equipped with a manifesto which he promises to share with the clubs closer to the nomination date, said to be 14 days before the election date.

He told Guardian Media Sports on Wednesday that he has a clear vision to move the Super League forward, Edwards, who appears to have a clear path which has been made by the constitutions of both the EFA and the Super League said: "The constitution gives way for only fully functional members of the Super League to propose and second nominations and that was done by two clubs. The constitution clearly speaks for the EFA in terms of how that process would happen. There are no challenges with that. There is a clear process and we will follow the constitution. We are always guided by the constitution which governs the sport. There is a constitution here in the EFA and we will be guided by that too."

Ottley, two weeks ago said he will confirm his candidacy in the coming days. Edwards said his focus is not on Ottley or whoever else throws their hat into the ring, but rather the shortcomings of the league and its inability to progress.

Known to be outspoken on a number of football-related issues, including the United TTFA and FIFA court battle last year, Edwards said he will leave his case up to the Super League membership to decide.

Edwards said that the EFA executive has given him the clearance to contest the Super League presidency, and he promises that issues of club registration and compliance which have haunted clubs for many years will be a thing of the past if he's elected.

"The whole issue of registration for clubs is a major issue or tournament fees. The first thing I would do if I'm victorious would be to acquire support and sponsorship to remove registration for the next four years, so that would be one ease up. Usually, clubs would pay between $35,000 to $50,000 to register for the Super League, which will be no more. So clubs would be starting by keeping $35,000 to $50,000 in their coffers immediately. The next thing is the issue of compliance. Throughout the T&T Football Association, there is an issue when it comes to compliance. And being part of the east zone we would have been one of the few zones that would have had persons connected to the FIFA connect system, and that is where we really suffer as a nation when it comes to playing football, and that is being compliant. The Super League has had its own issues when it comes to compliance, there are a number of clubs suspended right now because of compliance.

Compliance normally happens at the end of March, so we will engage a team every year in February to assess and deal with compliance, probably get auditors, get persons to do seminars with clubs, walk them through the process and make sure that all clubs playing in the SL are compliant.

We will also treat with the issue of ensuring that clubs create revenue. We need to create revenue streams within football, whether it's via television, via sponsorship of uniforms, so that clubs can start off the league. If clubs could have $20, 000- $30, 000 based on playing in the league, we will have a more self-sufficient league," Edwards concluded.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Suspended TTSL clubs told they're not suspended
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2021, 07:06:19 AM »
Suspended TTSL clubs told they're not suspended

The Normalisation Committee of the T&T Football Association (TTFA) now holds the responsibility of confirming whether seven clubs, suspended by the T&T Super League for being non-compliant, are really suspended.

The Super League teams were suspended back in 2018, but last month (August 27) were given appeared to have been spared via a letter by the normalisation committee's acting general secretary Amiel Mohammed, that his association has no documentation to show that they were suspended.

The suspensions were done under the then David John-Williams-led TTFA, but since the football association has changed leadership twice, from John-Williams to the William Wallace-led United TTFA administration, to the now Robert Hadad-led Normalisation Committee/TTFA, where the documents appear to be non-existent.

From 2018 to now, the clubs- Central 500, Defence Force, Harlem Strikers, Marabella Family Crisis Centre, Tobago Phoenix, WASA and the Youth Stars were not able to take part in any football-related activities of the TTSL, including having voting rights.

Last year as the Super League voted in Clayton Morris as the new president in place of Jameson Rigues, the League's first vice president who took over the leadership following the resignation of Keith Look Loy in October 2020.

Mohammed in his letter to TTSL secretary Peter Thomas, said: "The T&T Football Association acknowledges receipt of your letter dated 24th August 2021 and writes to inform you that the TTFA has no documentation indicating the suspension of the TTSL clubs from the TTFA.

"Additionally, since the League's inception in 2017, no TTSL club has ever been suspended by the TTFA. Noting the above, if you do not have any communication that indicates that a club was suspended by the TTFA, we kindly ask that the TTSL forward those correspondences that were sent from the TTFA, informing the TTSL of the suspended clubs in the past."

Contacted, Thomas referred to a notice of a reconvened Extraordinary General Meeting of the TTFA on April 21, 2018, at which a decision was taken by the AGM to direct the Board of the TTFA to suspend non-compliant members provisionally and to recommend their dismissal.

He said this document was resent to the TTFA on either Sunday or Monday (September 5 or 6).

The TTFA secretary is set to deliver its ruling by the end of this week.

Guardian Media received a copy of the minutes of the AGM which showed that not only were the seven TTSL clubs suspended, but they were among 21 organisations to have been suspended, namely - Barrackpore United, Cunupia FC, Coaches Association, Eastern Counties Football Union (ECFU), Edinburgh 500, Futsal T&T, Guaya United, Harlem Strikers, Matura Re-United, Petit Valley Diego Martin United, Police FC, Players Association, Primary Schools League, 1976 Tobago Phoenix, Real Maracas, Saddle Hill, Siparia Spurs, TTWOLF, UTT, WASA FC and the Youth Stars of Tobago.

Some of the reasons given for being non-compliant includes having no constitution, no bye laws and audited financial statements, among others. Following the TTSL's AGM and Elections last year, it was stated that Defence Force was the only one of the seven suspended clubs to have fulfilled all the requirements to be compliant to date.

The TTSL prepares for another AGM and election on September 19 as a battle rages between Kieron Edwards, the Eastern Football Association (EFA) president and Ryan Ottley, the manager of the Defence Force TTSL football team, for the leadership of the TTSL.

The two are the only candidates after current president Clayton Morris decided not to seek re-election.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2021, 07:35:44 AM »
steeeuuuups

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Super League clubs demand immediate reinstatement
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2021, 06:29:32 PM »
Super League clubs demand immediate reinstatement

No suspension was ever handed down to any clubs in the T&T Super League at least not by the T&T Football Association in 2018. Now president Clayton Morris is being called upon to convene an Emergency General Meeting to immediately re-install the affected clubs with full rights, inclusive of voting rights for the coming AGM and Election of Officers on September 19.

Guardian Media Sports has a copy of the 12-page minutes of the Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) held on April 21, 2018, by the T&T Football Association, which followed an initial AGM on March 31, 2018, at which the Board of the TTFA was directed to suspend non-compliant clubs provisionally, and recommend their dismissal to the EGM on April 21.

However, in an about-turn, a decision was instead taken to regularize the status of the non-compliant clubs: "The President announced the purpose of the AGM as being to To ratify and clarify the status of members who were deemed non-compliant. He informed that at the previous AGM, which was convened onMarch 31, 2018, it was decided that the Board of Directors provisionally suspend and recommend the expulsion of non-compliant members.

On the morning of April 21, 2018, the Board of Directors of the TTFA met and it was recommended that the status of non-compliant members be regularized at this AGM."

Only the Coaches and Players Associations, who were among 21 non-compliant clubs/organisations at the meeting, were expelled based on their non-activity. Those organisations also failed to have representation at the meeting.

It was also agreed to hear the issues of the other organisations individually and allow them opportunities to get their houses in order. These clubs are- Barrackpore United, Cunupia FC, Eastern Counties Football Union (ECFU), Edingburgh 500, Futsal T&T, Guaya United, Harlem Strikers, Matura Re-United, Petit Valley/Diego Martin United, Police FC, Players Association, Primary Schools League, 1976 Phoenix, Real Maracas, Saddle Hill, Siparia Spurs, TTWOLF, UTT, WASA FC and Youth Stars- all of which failed to submit some or all of the following- their constitutions, Bye-Laws Regulations, Minutes of AGM/General Meetings, Audited Financial Statements, and Declarations among other things.

Then TTSL president Keith Look Loy and his Board suspended seven clubs later that year, for either being non-compliant or for failing to meet the registration deadline for the season - namely Tobago Phoenix, Youth Stars, Central 500, WASA FC, Defence Force, Marabella Family Crisis Centre and Harlem Strikers.

However, Defence Force was the only team deemed to have met the criteria to be compliant ahead of last year's Super League AGM and election. On September 19 the Super League will again attempt to vote in a new administration with three candidates, Keiron Edwards, the EFA president, Ryan Ottley, the Defence Force manager and Lee Davis of Prisons FC, to challenge for the position of president.

Yesterday the clubs were anxiously awaiting word from the TTFA/normalisation committee on their status as TTSL members. However, three clubs- Diego Martin Petit Valley United, Youth Stars and Guaya United have called for the immediate reinstatement of the clubs in time to vote.

Anselm Robley of the Youth Stars said: "We want reinstatement but the thing is, who do we hold responsible for the four years of not playing when we were said to be non-compliant?...who is going to foot the bill for loss of exposure and earning?

All I would like is to be returned to the Super League and get that opportunity to play," Robley said. He noted also that the Super League has been a form of exposure for his club and his community.

Randy Hagley, the Guaya United owner and manager said: "Our next step is to get the president of the TTSL, who is Clayton Morris to call an EGM and reinstate these clubs immediately before that AGM and election on September 19th. We know he can do that because the law provides for that to happen. This football is a big mafia, so if you can prevent clubs from voting against you, the TTFA election would have been easy."

Edwards echoed similar sentiments, saying: "The clubs are bonafide shareholders, and should have an opportunity to participate in any meeting that is undertaken by the TTSL, even if it means they should have their voting rights and things like that. For far too long they have been debarred basically because of persons who are on the executive who has political agendas, in terms of manipulating the voting system. Petit Valley and Guaya United have always championed the cause of fairness and transparency in the TTSL and for far too long these issues have been swept under the carpet."

The Super League teams were alleged to have been suspended back in 2018, but last month (August 27) a letter by the normalisation committee's acting general secretary Amiel Mohammed, stated that the T&TFA has no documentation to show that the clubs were suspended.

Guardian Media Sports attempted to reach both Look Loy, who has resigned from the League in October last year, and secretary Peter Thomas but attempts proved futile. Look Loy did not respond to a WhatsApp message while calls to Thomas' cell phone went unanswered.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2021, 11:42:30 PM »
They clubs worse than minor league or Sunday morning clubs

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Davis joins Super League presidential race
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2021, 08:51:50 AM »
Davis joins Super League presidential race

Lee Davis, a vice president of Prisons FC, has joined the race for the presidency of the T&T Super League which is expected to be contested when the organisation holds its annual general meeting (AGM) and election of executive officers on September 19.

Davis is the holder of a Masters Degree in International Finance and promises to use his expertise and experience to solve the issues of compliance, as well as to strengthen the positioning of the clubs and the league in the future.

Davis who comes highly recommended as the vice president of the T&T Football Referees Association and chairman of the East Zone has been announced a slate that includes Eddison Dean, as the first vice president, second vice president Andre Barnard, who is involved in football in the Southern Football Association (SFA), and ordinary members George Joseph, Nicholas Gopaul and Kurt Henry, another member of the referees association.

Davis said he was encouraged to enter the elections race by a colleague of his at his club, but outside of that, he has a real problem with the way the sport is being managed, particularly by those wanting to splash money to dependent clubs and leagues, which he believes is not the solution to the problems being faced now.

Davis told Guardian Media Sports: "I was involved in football for the last 25 years as a referee. I was an international referee, I was involved in the referees' committee at the TTFA level and I feel I can play my part and try to help in any way possible. One of the things that are really bugging me is the set of money that some people want to throw into the football. I don't think that will help the clubs and it will not help the sport. The clubs and League don't understand that they can manage their own affairs and be more self-sufficient and self-reliant while managing their own finances instead of looking for handouts and hand-me-downs."

Davis is set to face challenges from Ryan Ottley, the Defence Force team manager who was instrumental in ensuring that his team which was among seven Super League clubs that we alleged to have been suspended by the TTFA, became fully compliant, as well as Keiron Edwards, the Eastern Football Association (EFA) president. Edwards said once he's successful he will step down as EFA president.

On August 27, the alleged suspended TTSL clubs (Central 500, Defence Force, Harlem Strikers, Marabella Family Crisis Centre, Tobago Phoenix, WASA and the Youth Stars) got renewed hopes of having being reinstated as full members for the first time since 2018 when T&T Football Association General Secretary Amiel Mohammed said the TTFA has no documentation to show that any Super League clubs were suspended by the TTFA.

Davis said that the compliance issue being faced now is a result of poor governance and procedures, and finance issues. "A simple thing like a club, no matter how uncomplexed it supposes to be, the mere writing up of a constitution should not be rocket science."

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2021, 09:51:23 AM »
They clubs worse than minor league or Sunday morning clubs

Yuh ever play Monopoly? Well this is kinda like collecting $$$ when you pass 'Go'. And probably as realistic.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2021, 12:23:22 PM »
It's so depressing that Super League and Minor League threads are full of electioneering and light on football

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Morris calls for unity ahead of Super League elections
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2021, 10:55:04 AM »
Morris calls for unity ahead of Super League elections
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

A NEW Trinidad and Tobago Super League (TTSL) president will be elected on Sunday. The Annual General Meeting (AGM) and elections will be held virtually from 9 am.

Outgoing president Clayton Morris will not seek re-election having served at the helm since December 2020.

The race for TTSL presidency will be contested by Eastern Football Association (EFA) president Kieron Edwards, Prisons Football Club vice-president Lee Davis and T&T Defence Force team manager Ryan Ottley.

As Morris winds down his eight-month stint as president, he called on the pending new executive to place emphasis on quelling the ongoing infighting among clubs and their members.

He believes there are many petty issues and personal grudges among club members which are spilling over and hampering the league’s development, and by extension, football on a national scale.

Morris is not seeking a second term since his administrative duties as president, according to him, are keeping him “too far away from the football field and away from helping another human being develop” as a coach. Morris also serves as coach as the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT) Super League team.

The former Strike Squad captain wants the infighting to stop and said the league will continue to suffer if love, for the sport and fellow human beings, does not find its way back into hearts of its administrators.

“We need to get that love back. Once we get that back all this infighting, pulling and tugging and who wants power, that would be behind us. Only then our football will go forward.

“It has to start from the top and we have to lead by example. Administratively, we have to put things in place so when coaches are going to talk to their players they use administrators as examples to motivate their players. This is what we need to get back,” he said.

Morris drew reference to T&T’s failed 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying campaign. He said the reason T&T football and, by extension, its leagues are in a state of disarray is owing to its own administrative failures.

He added that several Concacaf nations have shown good progress over the past two years, amidst the pandemic, because they have sat down and worked out their administrative issues.

Once these internal problems are ironed out, Morris believes T&T can retake its place as one of the more consistently competing Caribbean nations.

“During my tenure, I tried as much as possible to keep the peace and reach out to everyone. We have to have forgiveness, let go of the animosity and whatever personal issues you have with people.

“We need to move past these things and look at the bigger picture. When people trust and vote for you, you have to take care of their business. That’s what you were put there for, not to fight this one and that one.

“T&T football will definitely suffer. Look at the other countries we have to battle in order to get to a World Cup. The Concacaf teams are out there doing well because administratively they have their house in order, so it will show on the field,” he said.

After spending eight months competing in the USISL (United States Inter-regional Soccer League) in 1994, this competition paved the way for the extremely lucrative Major League Soccer (MLS) in the US.

Just like his involvement in the USISL helped create great avenues for footballers and boosted the value of the American pro league, he remains hopeful that his actions over the past eight months as TTSL president, derives similar benefits to the league in both the short and long-term.

“I would like to feel, in the future of the TTSL, to know whatever contributions I made within this time, that I could feel proud about that situation. As administrators we must be exemplars.

“Once we get love we would have understanding, integrity, transparency, accountability and honesty. It was always a challenge for me and I’m happy to make way for younger people,” he closed.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2021, 01:20:05 AM »
Suspended clubs given observer status for Super League's AGM.

SIX SUSPENDED Trinidad and Tobago Super League clubs will take part in Sunday’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) and elections as observers.

This means they have no voting rights towards the electing of a new Super League executive. The clubs are Harlem Strikers, Marabella Family Crisis Centre, WASA, Youth Stars, Tobago Phoenix and Central 500.

These clubs were suspended in 2018 for various reasons such as non-compliance, no constitution and a lack of financial statements. Since then, they have been barred from participating in the league and their voting rights revoked.

This was confirmed by outgoing president Clayton Morris on Saturday. Morris is not seeking re-election having served eight months at the helm of the Super League.

Vying for the presidential post are Eastern Football Association (EFA) president Kieron Edwards, Prisons Football Club vice-president Lee Davis and TT Defence Force team manager Ryan Ottley.

Morris said however, that if either or all of the suspended clubs would like to highlight any matter to the executive on Sunday, they can do so after the AGM.

“The suspended clubs have been invited as observers. The matter could be heard arising out of the meeting. Everyone is invited to the AGM.

“I’m trying to be positive. I’m trying to make sure that I can leave with calmness so that we can go forward. We have to stop this nonsense.

“It (suspensions) will come up at the minutes. It will be raised there and the matter could be heard there. This is why they are invited as observers,” he said.

On September 8, TT Football Association (TTFA) general secretary Amiel Mohammed issued a statement saying, “the TTFA has no documentation indicating the suspension of Super League clubs from the TTFA.”

The release added that since the league’s inception in 2017, no club has ever been suspended by the association. They also requested that clubs, if any, which received such correspondences from TTFA, to forward them back to the association for perusal.

When asked if Super League clubs could be suspended by the league itself and not the TTFA, Mohammed said yes.

“If the meeting grants them observer status, they will not be allowed to vote. Yes, they can be suspended by the TTSL and not suspended by the TTFA. The TTSL has their own constitution and they would be guided by that.

“So if there is a provision in their constitution that allows for suspension, then this can be done. If there are provisions in TTFA’s constitution that allows for suspension, then yes.

“But once you’re suspended from TTFA, then they are suspended from all footballing matters in the entire country regardless of which league or zone,” Mohammed said via WhatsApp on Saturday.

Approximately 18 clubs will vote on Sunday.

Morris added that some clubs need to get their house in order if they are to return to the Super League, whenever the competition resumes.

He also questioned the legitimacy of the suspended clubs on their request to vote.

“With respect to the Super League, some of the clubs are delinquent in putting their compliance together. You can’t stay out of the League for two years without participating.

“This is a company. They are not seeing the bigger picture and not seeing it as a business. We need to account for things. If you’re going for a sponsor, they will want to know all these things,” Morris added.

Newsday also spoke to Harlem FC manager Gregory McSween, who like the other suspended clubs, called for his team’s right to vote in Sunday’s election.

He said, “We want voting rights because we were suspended for some petty things. We have no voting rights. I’m unsure how the agenda goes. We’re unsure if they will sanction our query and allow us to vote.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2021, 01:31:02 AM »
Super League clubs threaten legal action.
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

Four T&T Super League clubs- 1976 Phoenix FC, Harlem FC, Youth Stars and Central 500 Football Club, are threatening to take legal action if they are refused voting rights at today's virtual annual general meeting (AGM) and election of officers.

The clubs have acquired the services of Attorney at Law Peter Taylor after being suspended by the T&T Super League (TTSL) in 2019, a decision that prevented them from exercising voting powers.

This decision came after the T&T Football Association (TTFA) at an EGM in 2018 agreed to regularise non-compliant clubs and organisations, giving them the time to put their houses in order. They were given until December 31 of that year to do so.

However, the TTFA through its general secretary Amiel Mohammed on August 27, wrote a letter to TTSL secretary Peter Thomas requesting information, that TTSL clubs were suspended. Mohammed had said his association had no documentation to support the suspension of the TTSL clubs.

Taylor in a pre-action protocol letter to TTSL general secretary Peter Thomas on Friday said: "We act on behalf of 1976 Phoenix FC, Harlem FC, Youth Stars and Central 500 Football Clubs who instruct that they are fully registered members of the T&T Super League Limited (“TTSL”) within the definition of bylaw 5.1(i) of By-Law No 1 of the TTSL.

"Our clients instruct that sometime on or around September 28, 2019 an arbitrary decision was taken by the Board of Management of the TTSL to suspend them along with the Defence Force for being in non-compliance with the rules and regulations of the TTSL.

"However, non-compliance with the rules of the TTSL is not a ground for disenfranchising the said clubs from exercising their right to vote at meetings of the TTSL. Section 31 (a) of the Companies Act of T&T provides 31... When a company has only one class of shares, the rights of the holders are equal in all respects and include the right to vote at any meeting of shareholders."

Today's AGM already has the item of suspension of clubs to be dealt with after the election. Three candidates Lee Davis, Keiron Edwards and Ryan Ottley will contest the post of president. Current president Clayton Morris has pulled out.

Taylor in his letter also stated: "The TTSL has 24 ordinary shares valued at $1,000.00 each, one each of which was issued to its 24 full members inclusive of our clients.

"It is therefore unlawful for the Board of Management to debar any bona fide shareholding club from voting at any meeting of the TTSL. We are also puzzled that the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) the governing body of football in T&T has expressed no knowledge of any club having being suspended as confirmed by a letter dated August 27 ultimo, from Mr Amiel Mohammed, acting general secretary of the TTFA.

"We are of the considered opinion that the alleged suspension of the aforementioned clubs is nothing more than a legal fiction and a clumsy attempt to prevent the said clubs from voting in the upcoming election for the new Board of Management carded for Sunday, September 19 2021. We wish to advise against any unconstitutional attempt to disenfranchise our clients at the upcoming election."

Taylor said further: "Should you fail to heed this admonition, please be advised that we have our client’s firm instructions to initiate proceedings against you without further notice at the relevant Disciplinary Tribunals of the T&T Football Association (TTFA), the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) and if necessary, the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). 3 We have enclosed the aforementioned letter from the acting general secretary of the TTFA for your ease of reference."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Suspended clubs given observer status for Super League's AGM
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2021, 08:12:28 PM »
Suspended clubs given observer status for Super League's AGM

SIX SUSPENDED Trinidad and Tobago Super League clubs will take part in Sunday’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) and elections as observers.

This means they have no voting rights towards the electing of a new Super League executive. The clubs are Harlem Strikers, Marabella Family Crisis Centre, WASA, Youth Stars, Tobago Phoenix and Central 500.

These clubs were suspended in 2018 for various reasons such as non-compliance, no constitution and a lack of financial statements. Since then, they have been barred from participating in the league and their voting rights revoked.

This was confirmed by outgoing president Clayton Morris on Saturday. Morris is not seeking re-election having served eight months at the helm of the Super League.

Vying for the presidential post are Eastern Football Association (EFA) president Kieron Edwards, Prisons Football Club vice-president Lee Davis and TT Defence Force team manager Ryan Ottley.

Morris said however, that if either or all of the suspended clubs would like to highlight any matter to the executive on Sunday, they can do so after the AGM.

“The suspended clubs have been invited as observers. The matter could be heard arising out of the meeting. Everyone is invited to the AGM.

“I’m trying to be positive. I’m trying to make sure that I can leave with calmness so that we can go forward. We have to stop this nonsense.

“It (suspensions) will come up at the minutes. It will be raised there and the matter could be heard there. This is why they are invited as observers,” he said.

On September 8, TT Football Association (TTFA) general secretary Amiel Mohammed issued a statement saying, “the TTFA has no documentation indicating the suspension of Super League clubs from the TTFA.”

The release added that since the league’s inception in 2017, no club has ever been suspended by the association. They also requested that clubs, if any, which received such correspondences from TTFA, to forward them back to the association for perusal.

When asked if Super League clubs could be suspended by the league itself and not the TTFA, Mohammed said yes.

“If the meeting grants them observer status, they will not be allowed to vote. Yes, they can be suspended by the TTSL and not suspended by the TTFA. The TTSL has their own constitution and they would be guided by that.

“So if there is a provision in their constitution that allows for suspension, then this can be done. If there are provisions in TTFA’s constitution that allows for suspension, then yes.

“But once you’re suspended from TTFA, then they are suspended from all footballing matters in the entire country regardless of which league or zone,” Mohammed said via WhatsApp on Saturday.

Approximately 18 clubs will vote on Sunday.

Morris added that some clubs need to get their house in order if they are to return to the Super League, whenever the competition resumes.

He also questioned the legitimacy of the suspended clubs on their request to vote.

“With respect to the Super League, some of the clubs are delinquent in putting their compliance together. You can’t stay out of the League for two years without participating.

“This is a company. They are not seeing the bigger picture and not seeing it as a business. We need to account for things. If you’re going for a sponsor, they will want to know all these things,” Morris added.

Newsday also spoke to Harlem FC manager Gregory McSween, who like the other suspended clubs, called for his team’s right to vote in Sunday’s election.

He said, “We want voting rights because we were suspended for some petty things. We have no voting rights. I’m unsure how the agenda goes. We’re unsure if they will sanction our query and allow us to vote.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Davis does it, elected new TTSL president
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2021, 08:13:00 PM »
Davis does it, elected new TTSL president

Prison officer Lee Davis is the new president of the T&T Super League (TTSL).

He got the nod ahead of Keiron Edwards, the former Eastern Football Association (EFA) president and Defence Force's Ryan Ottley in a hotly contested virtual election on Sunday.

Ottley, once favoured for the lead position in the initial stages, was dropped after the first round of voting which Davis won 8-4-2. In the second round, the 14 clubs that went equipped with voting rights, again gave the prison officer the nod eight votes to two over Edwards.

But as the celebrations were reduced to the confines of his home, Davis surprising said it was not what he expected.

"I didn't look at the whole landscape, it was like a three-week decision for me more or less and I was asked to throw my hat into the ring, but I really wasn't expecting it," Davis said.

Meanwhile, seven clubs suspended by the Super League in 2019 were reinstated. Defence Force, Central 500 FC, Harlem Strikers FC, Marabella FCC, 1976 Phoenix, WASA FC and the Youth Stars have now been given their rights to vote at meetings among other privileges but this decision came following Sunday's elections.

On Friday, four of the 11 clubs - 1976 Phoenix, Harlem FC, Youth Stars and Central 500 - issued a pre-action protocol letter to TTSL secretary Peter Thomas through their Attorney Peter Taylor, threatening to pursue legal action if they were not allowed to vote on Sunday.

Davis said that issue was not only new to him, but it did not come up for debate at the meeting. However, he urged clubs to do the right thing, saying, they do not only represent their own interest, but the interest of the communities they come from.

Davis will now attempt to reach clubs individually as his first order of business is to mend bridges, saying: "The clubs got reinstated so it's now to bridge the divide or the situation that caused the problem. We must see what the issues are and then try to mend the gaps among the clubs in the Super League. I want to go with the clubs to their different areas and really have a meeting within the communities so that the people in the communities would know that the clubs are theirs, not the executive of the clubs."

With a Masters Degree in International Finance, Davis is now set to provide much-needed assistance to clubs disenfranchised by being non-compliant, as well as those in need of general management help.

A vice president of the T&T Football Referees Association and chairman of the East Zone, Davis said another main challenge for him will be to attract sponsors.

"Sponsorship, especially in T&T football, has always been a sore point. We don't get the level of sponsorship we need, we don't get the sponsors to stay, and one of the things that might be the reason for that is the attractiveness of the product, and different things go into that, so we have to work that out.

"After that is to get the best players to play up to the top level, and of course, money is another problem, so it's the chicken and egg syndrome.

"But I think once we get the clubs and the League to show that all our actions are above board, with respect to audit and financing, you'll find that sponsors might be very willing to get involved."

Davis' slate will include first vice-president Eddison Dean, second vice-president Andre Bernard and Board members George Joseph, Nicholas Gopaul and Huey Cadette.

Davis replaces Clayton Morris, who was voted in , in 2020, as the new president in place of Jameson Rigues, the then TTSL's first vice-president who took over the leadership following the resignation of Keith Look Loy in October 2020.

RELATED NEWS

Suspensions lifted on seven clubs, Lee Davis elected TT Super League president

NEWLY-appointed president of the TT Super League Lee Davis is eager to hit the ground running after being voted in at the 2021 Annual General Meeting, on Sunday.

His main items on the agenda are tackling covid19 vaccination concerns, getting football back on the field and encouraging clubs to get more involved within their communities.

The AGM began at 9.30 am and ended after 4 pm.

Davis will serve as president from 2021 to 2025. Davis replaces former president Clayton Morris, who did not put his name in the hat to get re-elected.

Davis of Prisons FC defeated Eastern Football Association president Kieron Edwards and TT Defence Force football manager Ryan Ottley for the top post.

Eddison Dean is the first vice-president, Andre Barnard is the second vice-president and the ordinary board members are Huey Cadette, Nicholas Gopaul and George Joseph.

Seven clubs that were suspended including Central 500, Defence Force, Harlem Strikers, 1976 Phoenix, Marabella Family Crisis Centre, WASA FC and Youth Stars are members of the TTSL again.

The clubs were only observers at the AGM and were not allowed to vote.

The clubs were suspended for various reasons. A TTSL media release signed by league secretary Peter Thomas said the previously suspended clubs are “recognised as bonafide members of the TTSL once again as decided by the TTSL general membership.”

Discussing his plans with Newsday, Davis said, “It is almost two years since we’ve had any competitive football at all. The young people, the country…crying out for some distraction from the issues. Obviously we will have to wait more or less on how the Government unrolls its strategy…we have to wait for them, the CMO and the Ministry of Health.”

Minister of Sport and Community Development Shamfa Cudjoe has repeated in recent months that local athletes must get vaccinated to operate.

On the vaccination drive, Davis said, “I am not against vaccination at all, but I believe that some people might still have some concerns I think need to be addressed.

“Funny enough, I don’t think that conversation in football has really started for us to decide what is the best way forward.”

Davis said the clubs must understand their roles. “The whole issue of the clubs getting or remaining in touch with the main stakeholders, the community, the people around (and) even the youth programmes which definitely comes from the communities, that is so necessary.

“I believe in developing a bottom up strategy…everybody has a stake in it. Definitely meeting with the clubs (is the plan), getting their views, trying to mend all the different perspectives and coming up with the best plan for everybody going forward.”

« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 01:06:37 PM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Three suspended clubs drop Super League legal case
« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2021, 04:18:13 PM »
Three suspended clubs drop Super League legal case

Three out of four clubs that threatened legal against the T&T Super League if they did not get the right to vote at Sunday's annual general meeting (AGM) and Election virtually, have agreed to drop their case on the basis that they were re-instated.

The other team Harlem Strikers will decide by the end of this week if they will be taking legal action, its manager Gregory Mc Sween has said.

Central 500, Harlem Strikers, 1976 Phoenix and Youth Stars were among seven suspended clubs, the others being Defence Force, WASA FC and Marabella Family Crisis Centre, to have been suspended by the Super League back in 2019 for non-compliance. The suspension meant they were also debarred from casting votes for a new president on Sunday.

The four clubs, via their Attorney Peter Taylor, sent a pre-action protocol letter to Super League secretary Peter Thomas on Friday, noting that their non-compliance should not prevent them from exercising their powers to vote.

Following a marathon session on Sunday, eight out of the 13 clubs abstained from voting to re-instate the suspended clubs, while another- Cunupia FC was absent. The reinstatement of the clubs came from votes by Petit Valley Diego Martin United, Guaya United, Mature Re United, Erin FC and the University of T&T.

Youth Stars owner and manager Anselm Robley said after speaking to 1976 Phoenix and Central 500, the clubs are happy to be back in the League and will not pursue the matter further.

"The most important thing is that we get to play football again. When you think about it, who do we penalise for this?, in the end, football will suffer, because the Super League doesn't have money to compensate us for wrongfully doing to us what they did. The truth is that some of the things that they did were unlawful, and because people don't have the know-it-all, we got licks for it," Robley told Guardian Media Sports on Monday.

The Tobago team was one of just a few teams and organisations to have been compliant when the T&T Football Association, at an Emergency General Meeting on April 21, 2018, decided to provide much-needed help by regularising them, instead of following through on a recommendation to suspend or expel the clubs and organisations from an earlier AGM on March 31 of that year.

Contacted on Monday Mc Sween dismissed claims of their reinstatement, saying: "We didn't get a chance to vote which is the most important thing.

I think it was a whole set-up if you really check it, because of an agenda of who they want to be president," Mc Sween explained.

Meanwhile, Prison officer Lee Davis is the new president of the TTSL after he got the nod ahead of Kieron Edwards, the former Eastern Football Association (EFA) president and Defence Force's Ryan Ottley in virtual election also on Sunday. After Ottley got only two votes and was dropped in the first round of voting, Davis got 8 votes to Edwards' 4 to secure the presidency, a similar number to what they both got in the first rounds from the 14 clubs that participated in the process.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2021, 05:57:48 PM »
So did they suspended clubs voted. It does not spell it out clearly.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2021, 01:44:55 AM »
Ex-Super League president Morris thankful to serve.

FORMER Strike Squad captain Clayton Morris thanked those who made his eight-month tenure as TT Super League president a learning experience.

Morris did not put his name in the hat to get re-elected at the TTSL Annual General Meeting, on Sunday. Lee Davis is the new TTSL president. Morris, who congratulated the new board, said, “Upon receiving the blessings at the last TTSL elections my intention was to serve rather than dominate and move towards humility rather than prominence.

“I am truly blessed and thankful to God for the opportunity to have served on the TTSL board as president for the past eight months. I am much wiser and richer now administratively mainly because of fellow board members who gave their fullest support along the way.”

Morris encouraged his team while president to give their all in everything they do. “In my inaugural meeting with the board, I requested from them whatever we do let’s include love. You don’t have to like me as an individual or each other, but let us put love into whatever responsibilities we are entrusted with and demonstrate the trust our membership placed upon us to take charge of its business. The past eight months have been a learning experience for me which I am happy to have teamed up with patriots who want the very best for their respective clubs, TTSL and TT football.”

Morris made special mention of a few people. “Thanks and appreciation to (experienced football official) Mr Osmond Downer for your continued constitutional advice and input…thanks to the entire membership. Special thanks to those for the effort in fulfilling your administrative duties (not all on time), but for the effort to do the correct thing. Thanks to fellow board members - first vice-president Jameson Rigues, second vice-president Eddison Dean (and) board members George Joseph, Colin Murray, Anderson Veronique and league secretary Peter Thomas.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2021, 01:46:05 AM »
Reinstated Super League teams gear up for football after 4-year absence.

PREVIOUSLY suspended TT Super League (TTSL) teams are elated to be back in the fold after their suspensions were lifted. Players and the communities they have entertained are now eager for football to return once the Government relaxes covid19 regulations.

On Sunday, at the 2021 Annual General Meeting (AGM) seven clubs were reinstated after being suspended in 2018. The clubs on the sidelines were Central 500, Defence Force, Harlem Strikers, 1976 Phoenix, Marabella Family Crisis Centre, WASA FC and Youth Stars.

The clubs were either non-compliant with regulations or the clubs failed to meet the registration deadline. Some of the reasons why the clubs were suspended included failing to submit their constitutions and minutes of AGMs/general meetings. The seven clubs were only observers on Sunday and were not allowed to vote.

A TTSL media release signed by league secretary Peter Thomas said the previously suspended clubs are “recognised as bonafide members of the TTSL once again as decided by the TTSL general membership.”

Speaking with Newsday, the manager of Harlem Strikers Gregory McSween said because the club was not active preparation must take place before football can resume.

“Right now that is the focus to get the ground fix because the ground in a state because nothing was going on.”

Strikers use the Ansil Elcock Recreation Ground in Caroni.

McSween, who hopes the regional corporation can assist with the preparation of the field, said the players are eager to get back on the field.

“We have our team. Every day all our players keep on calling to find out what is the status on (the football).”

On the development of the players in recent years, McSween said, “Those players accustom playing…we have to start back now from scratch with training and everything.”

Strikers attract massive crowds with Kelly Village and Warrenville among the communities that support the team. “We have 100 per cent support from the whole community…when we have football games is like a Carnival by us because we are the only team in Central in the super league.”

Playing matches in the heart of a community benefits its residents as it allows people in the area to sell drinks and food to make a dollar. Minister of Sport and Community Development Shamfa Cudjoe has called for local athletes to get vaccinated to get sport back to a level of normalcy.

McSween is urging his players to listen to the calls of the minister.

“I already told most of the players they have to be vaccinated because I have my two shots already. They might want everybody vaccinated before they could play.”

Discussing being out of the football for such a lengthy time, McSween said, “It difficult…it really was a big setback for everybody, but we were doing paperwork in the meantime.”

McSween said Strikers are compliant with all the rules and regulations.

President and coach of 1976 Phoenix Terry Williams, giving his views on being reinstated, said, “I don’t know if to feel happy or the amount of frustration that cause us. We really don’t know how to feel.”

When you come from Tobago playing at that level (is an achievement). We are not a bad team, we are a decent team.”

Phoenix are also community-based as footballers living in Bon Accord, Canaan and Crown Point make up the bulk of the team. Williams said, “The community very attached to the club.”

Williams, who believes that his club was unfairly treated over registration fees which led to the suspension, said the community was not pleased.

“It stressed the community mentally every time we hear we suspended and we can’t say the reason why…we want to go past that.” Williams said he plans to have a meeting with the players.

Manager of Defence Force Basil Thompson is satisfied his club has returned to where it belongs.

“Defence Force has always been a mainstay in the sporting sphere of the country, so we obviously delighted to be back in the fold of the super league so that we can compete and contribute to the national landscape.”

Fitness should not be an issue for Defence Force players when football resumes as Thompson said that particular area is always a priority in the organisation.

Thompson said “there will inevitably be new faces” on Defence Force when football starts.

On players being vaccinated, Thompson said, “If there is going to be any mandate for persons to be vaccinated in order to continue to play football and in order to get involved in sport we will wholeheartedly support it.”

Defence Force were compliant with all the rules but were suspended after paying their registration fee late.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2021, 04:50:02 AM »
The seven clubs were only observers on Sunday and were not allowed to vote.

I agree with them not being allowed to vote. You want to be professional, then act like one.

Minister of Sport and Community Development Shamfa Cudjoe has called for local athletes to get vaccinated to get sport back to a level of normalcy.

I have issues with Shamfa, but I hope the unvaxxed players heed her call,  get themselves together and get vax,
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 04:53:56 AM by Deeks »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2021, 11:50:45 AM »
Minister of Sport and Community Development Shamfa Cudjoe has called for local athletes to get vaccinated to get sport back to a level of normalcy. ...

I suspect I could have a perfectly edifying conversation with the good Minister. However, that statement evokes a laugh. Clearly vaccinating athletes was NOT a governmental priority. This is the standard nod to reactionism.

No plaudits are merited.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 11:56:52 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2021, 01:09:35 PM »
Lee Davis has been elected new head of the Trinidad and Tobago Super League. He joins his fellow former referees Richard Piper and Merere Louis Gonzales in the hierarchy of local football administration. The newly installed leader says he wants the league to have the unity it had in the past and the executive with the help of the membership will work towards that path.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iKnBpyKLMGU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iKnBpyKLMGU</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Super League commit injustice against 7 clubs - Kieron Edwards
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2021, 04:41:02 PM »
Super League commit injustice against 7 clubs - Kieron Edwards

Kieron Edwards, a beaten presidential candidate at last Sunday's T&T Super League AGM and Election of Officers, is calling for fresh elections soon.

His call comes from a T&TFA letter sent the day before the TTSL election (September 18) in which it was stated that seven clubs that were said to be suspended by the TTFA at a 2018 Emergency General Meeting (EGM) were never suspended.

Defence Force, Central 500 FC, Harlem Strikers FC, Marabella FCC, 1976 Phoenix, WASA FC and the Youth Stars were given observer status at the election Sunday but were not allowed to vote. They were eventually reinstated as the last item of the meeting agenda.

Edwards who was defeated 8-2 by Prison officer Lee Davis in the final round of voting, described the development as tragic, saying all members should have immediately been reinstated with full voting rights, upon the football association's letter which cleared them of being suspended.

Speaking to Guardian Media Sports yesterday Edwards also took a swipe at the way Sunday's virtual process was conducted: "It is a genuine fact that the clubs were deprived the rights as bonafide members to vote.

At the AGM, the business arising from the previous AGM would have brought into question the suspension of the clubs and they not being allowed to vote by the Board of the Super League for the coming election.

When that discussion was being had, someone raised a motion to defer item Z, which is the business arising from the AGM and referred it to agenda item K, which the constitution provides for.

The constitution provides for, if on the agenda there is a need to amend it, you have to put it to a vote, which was had, but the problem that occurred was that you need a two-thirds majority for an agenda item to be deferred or be brought forward, which the chairman of the meeting did not acquire.

At that time the member for Petit Valley then sought to have the matter sorted out before the election, but the chairman of the meeting said that a vote was already cast and it was victorious when in truth and fact, it was not victorious. I believe it was not done in any malice by the chairman because he just was not informed, however, a wrong was done and it should be corrected."

New president Davis said the matter seems to be a constitutional one, but declared that no one railroaded the meeting or tried to overturn any decision.

"Based on the constitution that the clubs were suspended by the TTFA for whatever reason, the next AGM would then hear the suspension matter and either continue the suspension or not. I would assume that the AGM that brought them to be suspended was duly done.

If the SL has their own procedures, I don't know if the TTFA could over-turn the suspension unless they appeal to TTFA and I don't know if that was done," Davis explained.

The TTFA on August 27 via its general secretary Amiel Mohammed, responded to a letter from the TTSL secretary Peter Thomas that the seven clubs were suspended. Mohammed in his letter said his association had no documentation to support the claims that clubs were suspended, and requested documentation from the TTSL to support its claim- that the clubs were suspended.

Thomas told Guardian Media Sports two weeks ago, that the minutes of the TTFA AGM of April 2018 were sent.

However, following more than two weeks of deliberations the TTFA submitted its final response, noting: " The TTFA was asked to consider whether suspensions and expulsions are in effect for members of the TTSL. After careful review and analysis, the TTFA holds the view that the suspension and or expulsions of TTFA members cannot be supported at this time.

In coming to this conclusion the TTFA took into account the provisions of Articles 14 and 15 of the TTFA Constitution and the minutes of the 21st April 2018, 24th November 2018, 12th September 2019 and the 24th of November 2019 General Meetings in particular.

According to Articles 14(2) of the constitution, provisional suspensions must be confirmed at the subsequent General Meeting by two-thirds of the members present and eligible to vote, failing which such suspensions are automatically lifted. The suspensions were not confirmed in the manner prescribed.

The motion passed at the 21st April 2018 Extraordinary General Meeting called for expulsions to take effect for non-compliant members by 31st December 2018. On an initial review, the motion was found to be of dubious construction and invalid by virtue, of it not being prescribed according to accepted rules of drafting (Robert's Rules of Order Part 1). Also given consideration was the failure of the TTFA at that time to constitute follow-up action on the motion to expel and allowing the Members in question to participate in a competition and other sporting activities organised by the TTFA, as supported by the 12th September 2019 EoGM Minutes, making it seemingly unjust for the TTFA to initiate follow-up action now."

For fresh elections to take place, an EGM could be had in 30 days, according to the by-laws of the Super League. Edwards said: " If more than 50 percent of the members sign an EGM letter calling for fresh elections, the board has to convene that meeting.

If it is not convened after 30 days, the members, who called for the meeting could convene it themselves. And if in that meeting a request is made for fresh elections, they have 21 days to go through the process of having fresh elections."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2021, 12:22:55 AM »
Edwards to take TTSL CAS for AGM breaches.
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

The Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) could be asked to settle a dispute between the T&T Super League (TTSL) and Keiron Edwards, a defeated presidential candidate at the recent TTSL elections, over possible breaches in the Constitution that prevented legitimate members from exercising their voting rights.

Edwards was beaten by Lee Davis in a final round of voting for the position of president of the super league on September 19 this year, but a day later, he highlighted breaches in the constitution which he believes should require a re-election.

The breaches entail the failure of the TTSL to accept that seven suspended member clubs - Central 500, Harlem Strikers, Marabella Family Crisis Centre, Defence Force, Phoenix FC, WASA FC and the Youth Stars were really never suspended and should have been allowed to vote at the September 19 elections.

And although the clubs were not allowed to vote, they were reinstated at the end of the AGM and told that they were never suspended.

On Monday, Edwards said that if the constitution is not followed, he will refer the matter to the CAS in accordance with section 42.1 of the TTSL Constitution which states: "In accordance with the relevant provisions of the FIFA Statutes, any appeal against a final and binding decision passed by FIFA, CONCACAF or the leagues, shall be heard by the CAS."

The clubs were suspended back in March of 2018 for being non-compliant. That suspension was upheld for a second year in September 2019 on the basis of clubs either not fulfilling the requirements to be compliant, or because they did not take part in Super League-related competition for two consecutive years or both.

Edwards explained in his letter seen by Guardian Media Sports on Monday that he is objecting to the elections held in September, as bona fide members were stopped from voting. He sought to refer to section 9.2 of the constitution which states: "A suspension shall be confirmed at the next general meeting by two-thirds (2/3) of the members present and eligible to vote. If it is not confirmed, the suspension is automatically lifted.

At the AGM which was held on October 27, 2019, the suspension of the aforementioned clubs was not ratified." Edwards said that 2/3 majority was not received.

Guardian Media Sports has seen a copy of the minutes of the October 27 AGM, 2019, which according to Edwards had absolutely no mention or motion to confirm the suspension of the clubs, which means that the clubs were not suspended at that AGM.

The Eastern Football Association (EFA) president who gave up his position to contest the elections, wrote to TTSL secretary Peter Thomas a second time yesterday (November 1) in which he promised to invoke Section 40 of the constitution, which states that 'disputes shall be taken to an Independent Arbitration Tribunal created by the TTSL. The Board of Directors shall issue special regulations regarding the composition, jurisdiction and procedural rules of this Arbitration Tribunal and request that arbitration proceedings should commence immediately.'

In his three-page letter, Edwards also said: "It seems as though this act was a clear attempt to interfere with the electoral process by suspending these clubs illegally. In addition, the decision to suspend these clubs was an attempt to maliciously influence the outcome of the election. As such, I call upon you to repeat the elections of September 19, 2021, and allow all legitimate clubs to participate in the electoral process."

Thomas when contacted via WhatsApp referred all questions to new president Davis.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2021, 12:17:48 AM »
Super League focuses on COVID policy for 2022.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

New T&T Super League president Lee Davis is working on forming a COVID-19 policy to ensure his members are active whenever government gives the okay to resume play in 2022.

Discussion on this began last week but the membership will meet for a second time before Christmas, Davis said, and this time they will have as part of their decision-making an official from the Ministry of Health.

Speaking to Guardian Media Sports on Sunday Davis said he just wants to be prepared for when football starts. To date, he and his executive were able to accomplish a few things administratively.

Hev said: "We passed the financials and we have the budget that we also looked at. The board came together with the executive membership, we didn't have any issue with that, so right now we're just trying to get the committees up and running. We're looking to organise a COVID policy so hopefully next week we can get that going. The board will come up with some ideas and document it so we can capitalise on the government's thrust to start back sports, or football."

However, Davis and his members could be in for a major challenge, following a recent march by a group of football enthusiasts last month, to convince Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley, Health Minister Terrance Deyalsingh, Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr Roshan Parasram, and other members of the government's decision-making team to allow football to play.

The march which took place throughout the streets of Port-of-Spain on November 10, attracted the presence of police officers and it came as a result of the health minister's refusal to grant permission to the Ascension Football Tournament organisers to host an event.

Apart from presenting fully vaccinated members for the League, Ascension officials also provided a list of some 20 guidelines they intended to implement to ensure the safety of the league and its members.

Quizzed about that, Lee said: "We anticipate the same challenges too because there was a drive a couple months ago, the TTFA (T&T Football Association) tried to get people to go forward but there was a little bit of hesitancy. We could debate why that happen, but it's to find out where the gaps really lie coming from the clubs and come up with the best plan.

"I don't want to pre-empt that because it's a political issue on the one hand and a personal issue on the next, and of course, a health issue as well. That was the plan. We had already discussed that, so I guess when we do have the board meeting we can decide how, but we did decide to have a health official there in the meeting with us, plus there are other policies that we want to put together."

Lee who became the League's president in September, said that another issue he is watching carefully is whether there will be a unified league in 2022 or if the Super League will have its own competition.

The unified league is being put together by the FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee but it needs the support of both the Super League and the T&T Pro League for it to become a reality.

1]; } ?>