April 23, 2024, 01:34:33 PM

Author Topic: Black Lives Matter Football Thread.  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Black Lives Matter Football Thread.
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2021, 06:54:10 AM »
And if this is BLM topic, the players who toiled in English football before these "pampered" superstars should get a mentioned. If we bawling now in our "modern" era, you can imagine what it was like for Lindy Delapenha, Scott-heron, Arhtur Wharton, Mathew Nunes, Shay Seymour, Clyde Best, Ade Coker, Johnny Miller, Steve Stacy of the those bygone days.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2021, 07:34:40 AM »
On one level it can be said it's semantics. Ah understand that point. On the other hand, the $ and Bosman internationalized the top flight, so the character of the league altered. Other things as well. Dahis why the word 'era' is a critical aspect of the frame.

It could be argued that the TTFA/TTFF ... is a semantic change in terms of product delivery, yet we know the change is substantive in a sense.

Had I started out with a XI that included Crooks or Fashanu, posters would be coming out the woodwork to make the EPL/First Division distinction point.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 10:13:23 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2021, 09:03:32 AM »
Viv Anderson made British sports history in 1978 when he became the first black soccer player to win a spot on the English national team. Anderson was one of several young black British athletes ......

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united-nostalgia-reaney-was-best-according-legend-george-556133

This is up for debate you know. So in the late 60s Leeds United knocked Manchester, Liverpool, Arsenal, etc off their perch by winning the 1968-69 Div1. They had 2 coloured(mixed race players) on their team. One was a South African named Albert Jahnsen(not sure). I never saw the Albert guy play. And Paul Reaney, an excellent RB.  I did see him play when TTT used to bring on Star Soccer, the week after games were played. He played 3 games for England and was on the squad approaching the 1970 WC. He had a broken leg right before the WC.

From 2nd paragraph international on Reaney in Wikipedia

“ Reaney's appearance for England has assumed greater importance in recent years as even though he was regarded as "white" during his playing career, he is viewed by many as "black" or mixed race now. His England debut was nine years before that of Viv Anderson, who is widely credited as the first black player to appear for England.[2] However, Reaney has stated that he does not consider himself a "Black" player.”

Ps: Deeks, I responded to the PM.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 10:50:35 AM by maxg »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2021, 12:05:00 PM »
maxg, I saw the PM. I will response! :thumbsup:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2021, 05:37:20 PM »
That West Brom defeat of Man United was a resonant moment for a future generation of Black footballers, fans and footballers themselves.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2021, 07:33:42 PM »
That West Brom defeat of Man United was a resonant moment for a future generation of Black footballers, fans and footballers themselves.
Thanks again. Only saw them play for England. Never saw Batson. Liked him to.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2021, 04:49:07 PM »
Howard
Cole
Van Dijk
Desailly
Lauren
Kanté
Viera(C)
Ramires
Henry
Drogba
Asprilla

Substitutes:
Hislop
Kompany
Walker
Townsend
Barnes
Mané
Yorke

Was racking my brain for a missing piece of the puzzle and it just hit me. Had been trying to think of a left-footed CB that isn't Nathan Ake, because that's the theoretical chink in the armour. It just hit me.

Sylvain Distin. BOOM! We ready.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2021, 05:18:14 AM »
Howard
Cole
Van Dijk
Desailly
Lauren
Kanté
Viera(C)
Ramires
Henry
Drogba
Asprilla

Substitutes:
Hislop
Kompany
Walker
Townsend
Barnes
Mané
Yorke

Big team that, I forgot about Howard he was a boss for real, better than Shaka. James and Howard, going an fix meh team.

Townsend, Asprilla, he scored 9 goals for Newcastle  :rotfl:

Yuh see de BIG goal he dropped over the weekend? Pay especial attention to the commentary.  :P

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/y6SVclqRnUk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/y6SVclqRnUk</a>

"Classic Andros Townsend goal"

"Scorcher ... absolute scorcher, brilliant strike"

"Over the years we've seen some very special ones from him"

"Absolute belter"

"He's done it before for England"

That shizzle relegates Bruno Fernandes' effort vs Newcastle to second place.  De BLM movement SAFE  :rotfl: ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2021, 06:29:51 AM by asylumseeker »

1]; } ?>