April 18, 2024, 10:35:09 AM

Author Topic: Federico Peña Thread  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Federico Peña Thread
« on: December 07, 2020, 12:44:15 PM »
Valour FC re-signs versatile Canadian Federico Peña
CanPL.ca Staff

Valour FC announced on Monday that 21-year-old midfielder/fullback Federico Peña will be returning in 2021 for a third season with the Winnipeg-based club.

Peña appeared in six of Valour’s seven games at The Island Games in 2020, filling in at various different roles due to a number of injuries to his teammates. He played as a fullback on both sides of the pitch, and also stepped in at right midfield in the club’s final game of the year against Forge FC.

Peña also made eight appearances for Valour in the 2019 CPL season, bringing his total number of minutes placed for the side up to 641.

“They actually told me they were going to pick up my option before the Forge game,” Pena told CanPL.ca. “It was just after I had been red-carded – which was later rescinded – but I guess they wanted to give me some good news at a low-point in my career.”

Born in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Peña moved with his family in 2009 to Winnipeg, where he played much of his youth soccer. He made a brief trip overseas in 2017 to pursue a career in Europe, spending a year each in the academies of Belgian clubs KAA Gent and Standard Liège, before signing for Valour in April 2019.

“I saw him maturing and growing as a person and as a player this past season,” Valour coach Rob Gale said.

“We always knew he has the technical ability – he’s like Raph Ohin in that he can juggle and do all kinds of tricks – and it’s amazing to see now that he’s slowed himself down how he is growing tactically. He has all of the qualities.”

As it stands, Valour has 10 players from the previous season’s roster signed for 2021, with the futures of nine players still unconfirmed. Peña joins five other domestic players — Masta Kacher, Stefan Cebara, Raphael Ohin, Brett Levis, and Austin Ricci — on the squad for next season.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Federico Peña Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 05:55:23 AM »
He looks decent, has potential to make our NT in the future but it depends on how his game develops in Canada.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 07:01:41 PM »
“This is my city and I’m very proud to play for Valour and represent the city I’m from.” | Peña returns to Valour for 2021
By Ed Tait (valourfc.canpl.ca)

Federico Pena finds it difficult to imagine it any other way.

He’s home, he’s surrounded by friends and family and growing on the job while playing for his hometown team, Valour FC.

The Canadian Premier League club announced today the versatile defender/wingback will be back with the club in 2021 – a move that is now official, but which the 21-year-old Trinidadian born/Winnipeg raised product knew was coming as far back as during the conclusion of the Island Games in PEI.

“They actually told me they were going to pick up my option before the Forge game (their final match of the Island Games),” began Pena in a conversation with valourfootball.club. “It was just after I had been red-carded – which was later rescinded – but I guess they wanted to give me some good news at a low-point in my career.”

Pena chuckled here, and in that there’s a sense he has found a comfort zone with his squad and his role on it. Every player wants to play every minute of every match, but Pena has managed to use his time – both in game and in training sessions – to make massive improvements in his game.

That doesn’t come easily to everyone, especially in the early stages as a professional.

“I was watching a coaches panel recently and they said it was until 23 or 24 that these guys really settle in to becoming professional sportsmen and athletes, and that’s at the highest level of the game,” explained Valour FC GM and head coach Rob Gale.

“You have to be patient. They have to be patient. Some players just want everything immediately… that’s normal society now where everybody wants instantaneous gratification. It doesn’t always work that way.

“Feds has been patient. He stayed focused throughout the season and has got his reward now for knuckling down, maturing, working hard. And I still think there’s a huge, huge growth curve there for him and he’s going to become better and better as he develops.”

Pena racked up 327 minutes of playing time over six matches at the Island Games, especially following the injury to Arnold Bouka-Moutou. Interestingly, it’s the veteran Frenchman – along with Andrew Jean-Baptiste – who helped influence him the most.

“I’ve been through a lot of experiences,” he said. “I’ve been through the downs with play time and feeling I wasn’t getting what I deserved. But when I did get them I think I was able to do well because of the support I had behind me, the belief the coaches had in me and players like Drew and Arnold giving me lots of confidence.

“I’m still learning every day from all these guys. I’m just looking forward to working with them again and hopefully we can build that trust with each other.”

The biggest areas of growth in Pena’s game – both he and Gale concur – came in his physical conditioning, his composure with and without the ball and his situational awareness.

“There’s a time and place for everything,” he said. “That was the aspect of my game I wanted to work on more, but that comes with more experience and more games. Fortunately I got that at the Island Games. I feel fortunate I got the chance to showcase a bit of my abilities, because I think I could still give a lot more.”

Gale said Pena’s ability to play both sides of the back line, coupled with his attacking qualitis, makes him the perfect candidate as a modern-day wingback.

“I saw him maturing and growing as a person and as a player this past season,” said Gale. “We always knew he has the technical ability – he’s like Raph Ohin in that he can juggle and do all kinds of tricks – and it’s amazing to see now that he’s slowed himself down how he is growing tactically.

“He has all of the qualities.”

Born in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Pena moved to Winnipeg when he was 10. He grew up playing with South End United and Bonivital and spent 2017 and 2018 with Gent and Standard Liége in Belgium.

And the last two seasons with Valour have represented an important step in his career. Important, too, for a club always looking to have a Winnipeg presence in its lineup.

“I remember a little bit about Trinidad, but I consider myself a real Winnipegger,” said Pena. “I really grew up here. I was formed here, I guess, through all my adolescent years. I’m very attached to the city. My whole family is here, all my friends are year, I went to school here at Glenlawn.

“This is my city and I’m very proud to play for Valour and represent the city I’m from.” 

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 08:37:23 PM »
Peña gets Trinidad and Tobago call
By John Jacques (Northern Tribune)

Local Valour FC youngster Federico Peña has received his first-ever international call up from the Soca Warriors.

The side will square off against the US Men’s National Team in a friendly match on January 31 at the Exploria Stadium in Orlando, Florida. The selection by head coach Terry Fenwick follows a strong Island Games campaign from Pena, who appeared in six of seven matches for Valour FC last year.

The 21-year-old renewed his contract with the Canadian Premier League side last December, with head coach Rob Gale stating that the local athlete has shown plenty of improvement year-over-year. The versatile youngster was deployed in both midfield and defensive roles, with the Soca Warriors listing him as a defender for the purposes of the call-up.

Peña was just about ten years old when his family immigrated to Winnipeg from Port of Spain, the capital of Trinidad and Tobago. The youngster developed in the local Winnipeg soccer scene before pursuing a youth career overseas, spending time in Belgium with the academies of both Genk and Standard Liege before accepting a contract from Valour FC before the inaugural Canadian Premier League season.

Absent from the call-ups were Halifax Wanderers duo Andre Rampersad and Akeem Garcia, who do not hold Canadian passports and thus may have had difficulties coming back to Canada during the pandemic.

Peña has made fourteen appearances for Valour FC overall, and with six of them coming from last year’s seven game season his stock appears to be on the rise. With the 21-year-old now joining Trinidad and Tobago for a friendly against the country’s regional rivals, it’ll be interesting to see how Peña grows from the experience – and if he can force his way into regular selection.

The dual-island nation also called up former York United winger Ryan Telfer, who has yet to land with his next team. Other Canadian Premier League athletes to receive international call-ups recently include Amer Didic and Marco Bustos for Canada, and Marcus Velado Tsegaye for the El Salvador U-23 side.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Federico Peña selected for Trinidad & Tobago national team’s roster
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 02:43:02 PM »
Federico Peña selected for Trinidad & Tobago national team’s roster

Federico Pena’s phone buzzed to life early Sunday morning, waking the Valour FC defender/midfielder from his sleep.

And by the time he had finished playing phone tag with the caller at the other end, a dream had begun to materialize for the 21-year-old Trinidadian-born Winnipegger. Later this week Pena is off to Orlando to join the Trinidad & Tobago national men’s team in advance of their friendly against the United States in Florida on January 31st.

“It’s surreal, really surreal,” began Pena in a conversation with valourfootball.club. “We moved from Trinidad to Winnipeg when I was 10, but I first fell in love with football in 2006 when Trinidad was in the World Cup. I can remember the atmosphere and how it was really amazing to see the national team in the World Cup. The pride I had as a seven-year-old watching Trinidad compete was something that stuck with me. It was something I wanted to do one day.

“I’m just emotional thinking about it now. If you’re a soccer player in Trinidad you want to play for the Soca Warriors. Man, now I’ve got to say dreams really do come true if you work hard.

“Honestly, this is the biggest honour I’ve ever received.”

Pena has been on the Soca Warriors radar screen for almost a year. He was scheduled to join the national team last March in advance of a friendly against Canada when the Coronavirus hit. Officials of the national team had remained in contact with him throughout 2020, and indicated in recent weeks he could get a call.

Pena will have to provide a negative COVID-19 test before travelling and then will have to quarantine upon his return to Winnipeg. He’s not certain if he’ll be in the lineup against the Americans, but the training sessions alone could be massive in terms of him making an impression with the national team coach, Terry Fenwick.

“I hope I could get into the lineup, but you never know,” said Pena. “I’m just happy to get an appearance and to be on their radar screen.

“Getting minutes on the field for Trinidad would be amazing, a big honour. But just the fact that I was invited just goes to show if you keep working hard and keep your head down, good things will happen.

“I always say you don’t rise to the level of your goals, you fall to the level of your training. I’ve just been working hard every day and when the opportunity comes up, you’ve got to be ready.”

Pena is related to former Premier League goalkeeper Shaka Hislop, who did represent Trinidad and Tobago in 26 international matches. And his favourites from that 2006 World Cup side included Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy.

Rattling off those names and thinking he could soon be wearing the same national team kit made Pena take pause.

“I’m in the moment right now, but I’m sure in a few weeks I’ll take a step back and say, ‘Wow, that was huge and I’m grateful for that,’” he said. “No matter if I’m in the lineup or not, just being able to show what I can do in training will be huge.

“Obviously, it’s offseason for me right now and I haven’t played a competitive game since the Island Games. But just to be able to show myself in training and what I’m about and represent Valour in that setting is a big opportunity. You’ve got to be ready for any opportunity at any time and I believe I’m ready.

“Hopefully I’ll do my best and represent Valour in the best possible way.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2021, 11:26:45 AM »
WATCH: Touching base with Canadian-based Federico Peña inside the Trinidad and Tobago Men's Senior Team camp ahead of Sunday's International Friendly against the United States

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ys89vLA4Yy8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ys89vLA4Yy8</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2021, 12:01:21 PM »
He looks decent, has potential to make our NT in the future but it depends on how his game develops in Canada.

As it turns out the future was seven weeks away.  :)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2021, 12:15:11 PM »
Smart fella. He was sure to big up the CPL and his club/club coaches. Good for future mileage. Solid.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2021, 04:25:36 PM »

As it turns out the future was seven weeks away.  :)

Hah indeed. Not sure he's quite there yet, but at least he's training and playing, unlike many alternatives.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Valour FC's Peña is 'Trini to the bone'
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2021, 04:59:23 PM »
Valour FC's Peña is 'Trini to the bone'
By Taylor Allen (Winnipeg Free Press)

Federico Peña has lived in Winnipeg for the majority of his life, but the Valour FC midfielder/defender has never forgotten his roots.

"We have a saying in Trinidad," Pena told the Free Press on Friday. "When you’re born in Trinidad, you say you’re ‘Trini to the bone.’"

It turns out Pena’s birth country of Trinidad and Tobago, a dual-island Caribbean nation, hasn’t forgotten about him either.

Pena, who moved to Winnipeg with his family when he was 10, got the call of a lifetime last Sunday when he was asked to join the Trinidad and Tobago senior men’s national soccer team for their international friendly against the United States this Sunday in Orlando. Pena arrived in Florida on Thursday and will be training with his countrymen before and after the match before flying back to Winnipeg on Feb. 3.

"It’s a big thing for me and my family. Obviously, I’ve had amazing support from my family. I have five brothers and four sisters, so I have a big family. I have two parents who really support my dreams, so I’m really grateful to them," said Pena, who has spent the past two seasons with Valour in the Canadian Premier League and will return in 2021.

"But you know, this is something that I’ve always wanted as a kid since watching the Trinidad national team in the 2006 World Cup. It’s where my love for football, my love for soccer grew and it’s honestly the biggest honour to be able to come here and represent my country. It’s really amazing."

Pena, a Glenlawn Collegiate grad, came up through the ranks in Winnipeg with South End United, Bonivital, and Granite United before heading overseas to play on the under-21 squads for KAA Gent and Royal Standard de Liège of the Belgium First Division. When the CPL was born, Pena returned home and signed with Valour prior to the inaugural season in 2019.

"It’s been a ride. Soccer has taken me to a lot of places and not a lot of kids get to experience that. I’m just really lucky and happy, well, I wouldn’t say lucky because I’ve worked really hard, but it’s something not everyone gets to experience, so I’m really grateful for that. I just hope I get to continue playing as long as possible and continue making memories and meeting new people in the soccer environment," Pena said.

He didn’t see much action as a rookie, but at the Island Games in Charlottetown, P.E.I., last summer, Pena appeared in six of Valour’s seven games and showed a ton of growth. Valour head coach and general manager Rob Gale thinks Pena’s involvement with the national team will help him take another big step in 2021.

"The beauty of international football is kind of like getting a master’s education every time you go," said Gale.

"I think (Dutch soccer great) Johan Cruyff used to say it was like the equivalent of getting 10 or 11 club games under your belt playing in one international (match) because you’re with the best of the best. You’re at the elite level. For Federico to get called by Trinidad and Tobago, they’ve been a perennial contender for World Cup (qualifying). They’ve been to the World Cup. That’s a very well-established CONCACAF program and for him to get called up to the senior national team is a fantastic credit to Federico and his hard work, determination, keeping his head down, and competing for everything he’s got."

All players went for COVID-19 testing soon after arriving in Florida and had to isolate in their hotel rooms until their results came back. They’ll also be tested again before the match on Sunday. With Winnipeg being in lockdown since October, Pena likely isn’t at his sharpest this week, but he’s confident he can overcome that and make a strong impression. The goal is to beat the United States and show he deserves to be called back in March when Trinidad and Tobago play a World Cup qualifier against Guyana.

"I think it’s attainable as long as I work hard and show what I’m capable of, show that I belong here," said Pena.

"I believe it’s definitely attainable, but it’s totally up to the coaching staff."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 06:31:47 PM »
“It was a big blessing and just an amazing feeling” | Federico Peña starts for Trinidad & Tobago

Federico Peña was thousands of kilometers away — vegging at the Orlando hotel for Trinidad and Tobago’s national men’s team – but the excitement in his voice was crystal clear.

The Valour FC defender made his international debut Sunday night with the Soca Warriors in Florida in a 7-nil loss to the United States men’s national team at Exploria Stadium.

And while the result clearly wasn’t what anyone in Trinidadian colours was seeking, the experience was everything Pena could have imagined.

“It was a big blessing and just an amazing feeling,” said Pena Monday in a conversation with valourfootball.club. “Obviously the result didn’t go as we had hoped – not even close to what we had hoped – but there’s so much that can be taken from this experience in a positive way.

“You can either look at the negative and say, ‘Yes, we lost 7-nil to a great team.’ But you can also look at it as a big learning experience. I always say I’m learning every day and that was a big lesson on a big stage vs. the U.S. That was an invaluable experience and I’m just grateful for the opportunity.

“Kobe Bryant was a guy I always looked up to and he said, ‘you either win or you learn.’ That’s something all athletes should live by.”

Peña started at right back and played 58 minutes before being substituted as Trinidad and Tobago was playing its first match in nearly a year while the Americans dressed primarily a B squad.

It was Peña's first action since suiting up for Valour in a 2-2 draw with Forge FC last September 5th in the club’s final match of the Island Games tournament.

“I’m definitely a little bit sore,” said Pena. “It was a tough, tough game against a top-class opponent. But it’s interesting… a lot of people may look at it and say, ‘I made it.’ But I’m so motivated right now I’m just thinking about getting back to training and getting back on the pitch. I’m so fired up.

“After competing at that level I know what I need to do and it’s just getting the little details down right… two steps here, two steps there, that’s the difference between good players and really good players. It takes dedication and a lot of hard work to get those details right. I’m just even more motivated to get to work, keep working at my craft and hopefully I can get to that next level. Right now I’m not at that level, but I know what I need to do.”

Interestingly, Peña missed – sort of — the big announcement that he would start against the U.S.

“They announced the starting lineup after a team lunch (on Sunday),” he began with a chuckle, “I had my headphones on and was one of the first players announced because I had #3 and I was the second player called after the goalie.

“I didn’t hear my name so I was asking, ‘am I starting?’ Then I saw the sheet afterward. It was a great feeling to be able to know you’re starting against such a tough opponent. Then when the game came I just tried to stay level-headed and do my best.”

Peña will remain in Orlando for the next couple of days for training with the national team before returning on Wednesday. Trinidad’s next match is against Guyana at home on March 25th in the First Round of Concacaf World Cup qualifiers.

“If I get called back that would be awesome,” said Peña. “But right now I’m just trying to soak up this experience. After the game (Sunday night) I was thinking, ‘Regardless of the score, I just represented my country.’ There’s no better feeling or no bigger honour than to represent your country and, again, I’m just so thankful.”

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2021, 08:14:14 PM »
Well said, Mr. Peña.

Has he played in MF anywhere?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2021, 08:47:55 PM »
Well said, Mr. Peña.

Yes, he's originally a right winger.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2021, 09:11:24 PM »
Well said, Mr. Peña.

Is why I said Jones should be back and he Right mid. Everybody keeps expecting Jones lightning shot to strike twice at international, then coach should set the bar to attract the lightning. The denfense and it’s setup would have always been the most critical players and positions in this event. One would think you would put your best and most experienced players, especially at this level of game. Your best forwards would play midfield, and your debutants and tryouts, would be in the least critical positions. But no, baptisms by fire. And we were very well burnt.

What do I know ! I lying on the couch as I type.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 09:13:01 PM by maxg »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2021, 04:50:24 AM »
Well said, Mr. Peña.

Is why I said Jones should be back and he Right mid. Everybody keeps expecting Jones lightning shot to strike twice at international, then coach should set the bar to attract the lightning. The denfense and it’s setup would have always been the most critical players and positions in this event. One would think you would put your best and most experienced players, especially at this level of game. Your best forwards would play midfield, and your debutants and tryouts, would be in the least critical positions. But no, baptisms by fire. And we were very well burnt.

What do I know ! I lying on the couch as I type.
the game was a practice match, so what's the big deal? people are acting like we were knocked out of some big tournament.  quite frankly i came to terms with what happened, we played a better stronger more technical team and we got spanked.

at no time in our history were we at the level of the united states, never was, and i doubt we will ever be, that is unless we got our act together, then maybe in 40 years or so we could play catch up.

yuh know what's really eating us, the fact that america just started liking football and we detest the fact that they keep whipping us with relative ease, that there is a bitter pill to swallow for most trinis, but that horse has already bolted the stall.  ;D

stop being so hard on yourselves people, lets concentrate on reaching more attainable goals like making the gold cup and beating teams like honduras and panama. the time for dreaming is over. as it stand jamaica would give us a solid ass whipping at this juncture of our reality.

do you believe that 25 years of jack warner and five years of DJW and the corruption, the constant money woes and the total disregard for football could be rectified in one term? come on people we think way too much of ourselves if that's the case. we should have more realistic expectations like making the gold cup and building a young strong team for the future.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 11:37:57 AM by pull stones »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2021, 10:48:20 AM »
The big deal is, ‘it was a Practice match’.

No one on our Team, nor our Coach was able to practice. It was an Observation match for our coaches. It was a practice match for the US.
Since we were in learning and observation mode, it would have been a more beneficial ‘practice match’ to observe more players, try different combinations or systems. Very early in the 1st half the opportunity was ripe to try different players or simply change positions, didn’t happen.

So other than USA, who got practiced ? The players learned they have to continue to work harder,yet that is not practice. Unless we were practicing how to get goals, it was the only repeated behaviour.

Anybody who watches football already knew the outcome, many here predicted the high score. What we would have liked to see was fresh faces, yes, we got that. A plan, a support system, a organization, a maybe, in losing a team. For the whole 1st half, I saw a football game with a team vs 11 guys. I played and coached provincial and semi-pro teams. We never got to know each other. I never had to be told, one go one cover, or mark inside, or send the player wide.. I do agree, the coaches shouldn’t have to do that.
But unless the coach said, when the other team have the ball, hold the line, when they go wide, play zone, no assignment to man mark, when our goalie have the ball, just stand so he can see you.

We practiced nothing. And that’s what disappointing, to me anyway.

Ann: when I saw the starting team come out the 2 nd half, I switched off.
I switched back just in time to see Trim injury, my wife could tell you, I predicted that. I hope he’s ok.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:53:07 AM by maxg »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 11:18:13 AM »
Agree!

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2021, 11:51:13 AM »
The big deal is, ‘it was a Practice match’.

No one on our Team, nor our Coach was able to practice. It was an Observation match for our coaches. It was a practice match for the US.
Since we were in learning and observation mode, it would have been a more beneficial ‘practice match’ to observe more players, try different combinations or systems. Very early in the 1st half the opportunity was ripe to try different players or simply change positions, didn’t happen.

So other than USA, who got practiced ? The players learned they have to continue to work harder,yet that is not practice. Unless we were practicing how to get goals, it was the only repeated behaviour.

Anybody who watches football already knew the outcome, many here predicted the high score. What we would have liked to see was fresh faces, yes, we got that. A plan, a support system, a organization, a maybe, in losing a team. For the whole 1st half, I saw a football game with a team vs 11 guys. I played and coached provincial and semi-pro teams. We never got to know each other. I never had to be told, one go one cover, or mark inside, or send the player wide.. I do agree, the coaches shouldn’t have to do that.
But unless the coach said, when the other team have the ball, hold the line, when they go wide, play zone, no assignment to man mark, when our goalie have the ball, just stand so he can see you.

We practiced nothing. And that’s what disappointing, to me anyway.

Ann: when I saw the starting team come out the 2 nd half, I switched off.
I switched back just in time to see Trim injury, my wife could tell you, I predicted that. I hope he’s ok.
the point is that there was nothing to play for but pride and our pride was bruised, that’s it. hopefully we finally took some lessons from all this and make the necessary adjustments so that we would never suffer such a crushing defeat again, but there’s no need in my opinion to be up rooted.

I am very sure fenwick saw his mistakes and blunders, it happens you know. I’m sure if you asked Steve hart if he had it all to do again, would he use a first team vs mexico or rest his starters and used a second string team in that game so they could have fresh legs for the quarter finals? I’m sure he would have opted to rest his first team and went with his subs.

I have faith that fenwick will bounce back very quickly from this, I don’t believe that lawrence and latapy are better coach pens than TF, so I look forward to better performances. Who knows this beating could be fenwick motivating factor.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2021, 02:00:32 PM »
Mostly agree. However being critical of what we saw, 90% of which very few understood, don’t mean we are uprooted, ignorant of the process, confused as to the lack of recognized strategy but in no way ashamed. Those who don’t follow this game and jump on the support bandwagon might feel their pride has been taken down a notch. But most fans here know our football woes and knew this was asking much, given the current circumstances and the practiced and trained team we were playing. No one here ashamed of the result, but more surprised at the performance, as the coach also intimated.

We know he, and we would and could be better. I can’t say he will be better or worse than anybody in the past. My only issue was the tactics, whatever was employed, did not give the guys a chance to execute a iota of their abilities.

Most here (I think), knew how the US would play, run, gun , fitness, not much dribble, defend in numbers, attack the ball. The Regional top teams play at this level. Feels and looks like 16 vs 11. So you bring even your A Team, knowing your players ain’t play at any national level for months, and in a PRACTICE run, you will tell them run with them, Attack the ball, take them on ? Practicing a defensive strategy don’t mean you’re parking the bus.
 Many teams have won championships in different sports by playing a practiced strong defense, and winning based on the skill of their attackers. We have skilled attackers, but if the defence can’t get the ball or puck, to give it to them, then that skill is useless. Our defence gave more passes to the US midfield and defence than to ours. Unfortunately in football we don’t have timeouts , but it was obvious to me, changes were necessary early. Is he a bad coach for not making them, No. Yet, I watching him, not going to say “Hey is nothing “ either. Like every other player in camp, I’m anxious for the next game, hope is not Mexico, CR or JA, but if it is, hoping we can be better prepared and organized. Not so ?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2021, 07:14:48 AM »
Valour FC defender Federico Peña has been named to the 2021 Canadian Premier League's Team of the Week (#1).

Comfortably one of the stand-out individual performances of the weekend came from the Trinidad and Tobago international who started at right back and moved to left back, following the injury to Brett Levis during the first half against Forge. Peña, often deployed further forward, was needed at the back by Rob Gale and led the team with seven tackles, impressing from the start on the right flank up against the fluidity, intelligence and movement of the likes of Borges, Kyle Bekker and Kwame Awuah.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2021, 06:40:19 AM »
Federico Peña - Madeira to Trinidad and Tobago to Belgium to Canada to....

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/M-t-Ol-K4jI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/M-t-Ol-K4jI</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2021, 09:30:35 PM »
WATCH: Federico Peña - 2021 Season Highlights

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/y7gKqqvy1Cg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/y7gKqqvy1Cg</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2023, 09:26:04 AM »
Federico Peña has signed a one-year contract with Swedish third division club, Umeå FC

1]; } ?>