April 19, 2024, 04:08:48 AM

Author Topic: Rio Cardines Thread  (Read 280 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Rio Cardines Thread
« on: February 18, 2024, 01:40:55 AM »
Crystal Palace's Rio Cardines eager for Concacaf challenge with Trinidad and Tobago U-20s.
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday).

English-born flanker Rio Cardines is eager to make his family proud when he represents T&T’s under-20 men’s football team at the Concacaf under-20 championship qualifiers at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo from February 23-27.

Cardines, 18, who represents Crystal Palace’s youth team in the under-18 English Premier League, played for T&T at last year’s Concacaf under-17 championship after receiving his T&T passport on the eve of the tournament. The versatile Cardines can play either right back or left back and also offers a punch in the final third. He had an eventful start to his T&T career when he received a red card on debut versus Canada’s under-17s in a 3-2 loss at last year’s under-17 championship. Cardines also managed a goal in T&T’s 3-2 loss to El Salvador as they exited at the round of 16 stage.

Earlier this week, Cardines was named as one of seven overseas-based players in coach Brian Haynes’ 21-man squad for this month’s qualifiers. In an interview with TT Football Association (TTFA) media on Thursday, Haynes said the overseas group has lifted the overall standard of his squad.

With T&T starting their campaign against St Vincent and the Grenadines (SVG) from 7 pm on February 23, Cardines is ready to get down to business.

“It is good to be back. The team is looking forward to the tournament and we are going to take it one game at a time,” Cardines told TTFA media.

“The first game is against St Vincent and we are ready to take it as it comes.”

After playing SVG, T&T will play Dominica and Canada on February 25 and 27 respectively. Only the group winner will advance to the Concacaf under-20 championship later this year.

Cardines stressed on the importance of togetherness within the group to navigate the qualifiers.

“I think the whole team is important in these three games. Everyone will play a crucial part,” he said. “There is not one player who is going to stand out. There is not one player who is going to fall short. We are a team and we are going to do everything together.”

The Crystal Palace player, who made the move to the London club at 16, grew up in Stevenage, Hertfordshire. He qualifies to play for the red, white and black through his T&T grandparents and he said playing for his family is his biggest motivation.

“I want to make my family proud. I want to get my family nice things and just make them happy really. That is what it is about,” Cardines said.

“(Wearing the T&T badge) obviously means a lot to me. My family is here.

“My granny and grandad are not with us anymore so I know I am making them proud when they watch down on me. It makes me happy to know they are watching and I am making them proud.”

He said the T&T team will need the backing of the 12th man to take them through the qualifiers.

“I think we need a lot of people to fill out the stadium. We need as many people as we can possibly get. We are going to need it in these games. It will be crucial.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Marcus868

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Rio Cardines Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 06:49:50 AM »
Really like this kid's professionalism and approach to the game. Hoping he speaks to the other eligible guys at Crystal Palace and get them to onboard with us.  ;D :D

1]; } ?>