Sports > Cricket Anyone

Cricket data visualisations

(1/2) > >>

daryn:
I have been creating some data visualisations of historical cricket data.

Here are the top 10 total run-scorers for the West Indies in Test cricket history.

daryn:
#11 to 15

asylumseeker:
What takeaways do you have having seen the data comparatively? Liking it.

daryn:

--- Quote from: asylumseeker on January 10, 2021, 09:06:15 AM ---What takeaways do you have having seen the data comparatively? Liking it.

--- End quote ---

Batting-wise, the biggest thing that stood out to me looking at all the data is how impressive Everton Weekes was. I am now of the opinion that he is the best batsman the West Indies has ever had. They didn't play as much cricket back then so his cumulative counting statistics are not up there with players who came after but he is the most impressive/reliable to me. 

Similar to that, I now have more appreciation for Sobers. I grew up knowing of him as the world record-holder and then as the person whose record Lara broke. But now I'm more impressed looking at the data. He scored more than Greenidge and almost as much as Viv playing significantly less innings/matches. (And took 235 wickets).

There are some other things that I want to look into further e.g. the prevalence of lbw vs bowled over time.

daryn:
Other historically important players:

George Headley: first WI batsman to be considered the best in the world

Clifford Roach: I had never heard of this man. Born and died in Port of Spain (1904-1988). Played in the West Indies' very first Test match. Scored the first century and double century ever for the WI.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version