April 19, 2024, 05:21:37 AM

Author Topic: Cricket data visualisations  (Read 3272 times)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cricket data visualisations
« on: January 10, 2021, 08:23:58 AM »
I have been creating some data visualisations of historical cricket data.

Here are the top 10 total run-scorers for the West Indies in Test cricket history.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cricket data visualisations
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 08:47:57 AM »
#11 to 15

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 09:06:15 AM »
What takeaways do you have having seen the data comparatively? Liking it.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 09:53:44 AM »

Batting-wise, the biggest thing that stood out to me looking at all the data is how impressive Everton Weekes was. I am now of the opinion that he is the best batsman the West Indies has ever had. They didn't play as much cricket back then so his cumulative counting statistics are not up there with players who came after but he is the most impressive/reliable to me. 

Similar to that, I now have more appreciation for Sobers. I grew up knowing of him as the world record-holder and then as the person whose record Lara broke. But now I'm more impressed looking at the data. He scored more than Greenidge and almost as much as Viv playing significantly less innings/matches. (And took 235 wickets).

There are some other things that I want to look into further e.g. the prevalence of lbw vs bowled over time.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 10:00:01 AM »
Other historically important players:

George Headley: first WI batsman to be considered the best in the world

Clifford Roach: I had never heard of this man. Born and died in Port of Spain (1904-1988). Played in the West Indies' very first Test match. Scored the first century and double century ever for the WI.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 10:11:51 AM »

Batting-wise, the biggest thing that stood out to me looking at all the data is how impressive Everton Weekes was. I am now of the opinion that he is the best batsman the West Indies has ever had. They didn't play as much cricket back then so his cumulative counting statistics are not up there with players who came after but he is the most impressive/reliable to me. 

Similar to that, I now have more appreciation for Sobers. I grew up knowing of him as the world record-holder and then as the person whose record Lara broke. But now I'm more impressed looking at the data. He scored more than Greenidge and almost as much as Viv playing significantly less innings/matches. (And took 235 wickets).

There are some other things that I want to look into further e.g. the prevalence of lbw vs bowled over time.

I'm curious as to what would be demonstrated were you to compare batsmen with similar "styles" within the same generation. I'm not a cricket connoisseur but in football, in terms of a market-driven analysis, you would take players of roughly very similar qualities and place them head to head.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 11:04:58 AM »

I'm curious as to what would be demonstrated were you to compare batsmen with similar "styles" within the same generation. I'm not a cricket connoisseur but in football, in terms of a market-driven analysis, you would take players of roughly very similar qualities and place them head to head.

I think you may really mean similar roles. It seems to me that roles and styles are more tightly-coupled in football than in cricket. For instance Viv Richards and Brian Lara had different styles but they had the same role. (I also think that by its very nature cricket will be more stable in the different main roles that players have from one era to the next. Or alternatively, football will be more dynamic.) 

I'm hesitant to engage in head-to-head comparisons. Anything more than simply juxtaposing the counting statistics of the respective players is probably more effort than I can allocate as a hobbyist.  As a cricket fan, I would have opinions but articulating methodology is a different matter.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 01:12:16 PM »

I think you may really mean similar roles. It seems to me that roles and styles are more tightly-coupled in football than in cricket. For instance Viv Richards and Brian Lara had different styles but they had the same role. (I also think that by its very nature cricket will be more stable in the different main roles that players have from one era to the next. Or alternatively, football will be more dynamic.) 

I'm hesitant to engage in head-to-head comparisons. Anything more than simply juxtaposing the counting statistics of the respective players is probably more effort than I can allocate as a hobbyist.  As a cricket fan, I would have opinions but articulating methodology is a different matter.

I was thinking of the comparison vertically rather than horizontally. As you suggest there is nuance as to the interrelating factors. For instance, place in the batting order would be a relevant variable in cricket that might have some interplay with positional location in a football system of play and who Player X is surrounded with, that may or may not lack the same implications in terms of dynamic consequences (let's say, format of the match and batting partnerships combined, adding to or detracting from the dynamic-static picture).

For sure, looking at performance historically, for whatever it presents retrospectively versus looking at past performance as a predictor of future performance versus looking at today's performance for immediate inferences about this week's activities, differ from each other. All fascinating depending on one's vantage point.

If you get bored on the day job, I think you should plug ahead.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 04:29:13 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 12:45:32 PM »
Some tables with career partnership data for Brian Lara

1]; } ?>