March 28, 2024, 04:10:32 AM

Author Topic: Thread for USA vs T&T Game (31-Jan-2021)  (Read 21794 times)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for USA vs T&T Game (31-Jan-2021)
« Reply #180 on: February 01, 2021, 12:16:22 AM »
The more I think about it the more I come to the realization that Fenwick didn't have a plan.
He had what he had and didn't have. Why then attempt to play a 4-3-3? Why not use this first game to create a defensive blue print for the team especially when you have not had extended practices with the entire team.
This ! Then again, maybe that blueprint was made with washable ink... Cause with the players and the way the US started throwing water, everything went down the drain. He obviously misread the players with the little time he had.
 Trimmingham definitely was not able, was he hurt or he bun. He wouldn't make my Fete-match team with that speed, and i didn't see nothing else from him, but then again I took a break from the game. Alvin Jones is barely a right back. Pena wasn't ready to face 2 top shape US teamates alone, not sure he could handle one. Dorothy, this ain't the CPL anymore. Jones/Pena switch would have been a better option, not knowing what else we had on the bench. I guess Mr Fenwick didn't either, since he made no changes in the 1st, when we were being over, under,out-runned and gunned.
We have seen Jack and Archer now, they alright.  We have better options for the real games going forward, maybe Archer can make the final 23. Seems we will have to unretire some guys. Thanks for your service, gentlemen.

Trim, boy, try Noom, my 51 year old stopper did, and now he faster than you. Take care of that knee, ease of the weights.
Seriously doh, I hope the guy is ok.  They are young, and they all know now, 'There's plenty more work to be done'.

I would like to comment on the midfield, but we didn't really have one. How the hell US get that freekick and had 2 men in our box free and unmarked. We was marking the fellas in stripes ? Wha jail was dat ?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 12:20:40 AM by maxg »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 01, 2021, 03:24:46 AM »
Football is a team sport. And as much as I had hoped for a better game, meaning a narrow loss, we have to be realistic.
1. Fenwick saw several of these guys for the first time on Friday morning.
2. Several of the guys never saw their teammates before Friday morning much less play with them
3. Watching film and talking through strategy is useless without time putting it into practice.
4. The USMNT has been in training in Florida for weeks and many are on the verge of breaking into the first team.
5. None of the members of the TTMNT play at the top level of US Soccer.

From my observation, several of the players in this game will not put on a shirt for TT when other players join the team. Molino, Garcia, Jones (Joevin), hopefully Frenderup, and several others, now overseas, are likely to be in the game against Guyana and in future qualifiers.
Fenwick was right to accept the game as playing pickup games is no way to determine the quality of your team. We will see who are the resilient ones, who uses this beating as a stimulus to work and get better. The weak minded don't deserve to play irrespective of their individual skill.
Give Fenwick some time. He needs it.

The loss was embarrassing but necessary. It laid bare the truth of T&T football. We are are at USL level. In fact a good USL team might have beaten these guys last night lol. Adding JJ, Molino, Bateau and Garcia might add some dignity to our losses but it won't change the fact that we have not had a successful development program since 2008.  Since we've refused to do so, this and other thrashings will serve as such into the foreseeable future. The best we can hope for is that some players will be shaken out of their complacency and administration will be shamed into into doing better.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 01, 2021, 04:32:17 AM »
Well that was awful. At least Foncette did decent and got a truck-load of practice...

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 01, 2021, 06:21:17 AM »
The coach had the wrong starting line up...in the first half no experience in midfield to hold the ball and settle the team...until Hackshaw came on in the second half...Jamal Jack...played his last game in national colors...l would have subbed him...in the first half...he kept getting beat on the left side...l think four of the goals came because of his incompetence...l thought Powder deserved at least 30 min...instead if the 10 he got

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 01, 2021, 06:48:21 AM »
Would have parked the bus and worked on defensive solidity...for this game.... 4-3-3 is just as easily 4-5-1 that can be adjusted in transition....I would  sat back and used this game to coach defense "in the field"
I pity the fool....

Offline Cruyff

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 01, 2021, 06:56:45 AM »
This is international football so there is no excuse for the lack of basic tactical understanding the team displayed.

Once the commissioner of police is actively involved in football, only for self interest to buy a place for his son on the team who wasn’t even a school boy standout then we are ALL to blame!!!!

Fenwick is going to feed the masses with tons of excuses about lack of preparation, COVID, the ban but I don’t see with even our full team, how are we going to qualify for a World Cup playing against the A teams of, Mexico, USA, Canada, Jamaica, Costa Rica and Honduras to name a few. I guess only time will tell.

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 01, 2021, 07:07:43 AM »
No time to dwell on what we knew would have been the outcome. Even though I was disappointed with the some players basic errors. Get rid of the dead wood from this team that played last night. No need to call names.
Reinforcements should definitely include Ryan Innis (Charlton Athletic), Daniel Phillips (Watford Fc) & Rory Mckenzie (Kilmarnock FC). Add them to Molino, Jones, Bateau, Telfer, Garcia & Powder and we can build from there.

Offline Cruyff

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 01, 2021, 07:14:42 AM »
This is international football so there is no excuse for the lack of basic tactical understanding the team displayed.

Once the commissioner of police is actively involved in football, only for self interest to buy a place for his son on the team who wasn’t even a school boy standout then we are ALL to blame!!!!

Fenwick is going to feed the masses with tons of excuses about lack of preparation, COVID, the ban but I don’t see with even our full team, with him in charge how are we going to qualify for a World Cup playing against the A teams of, Mexico, USA, Canada, Jamaica, Costa Rica and Honduras to name a few. I guess only time will tell!!

Wasn’t this team in training at the police barracks months before? If so, what was our game plan in attacking, defending and in transition? Fenwick just left players to do as they please! It looks like he surely missed his sidekick Gary on the sidelines to tell him what to do. Hilarious!!

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2021, 08:36:51 AM »
Football is a team sport. And as much as I had hoped for a better game, meaning a narrow loss, we have to be realistic.
1. Fenwick saw several of these guys for the first time on Friday morning.
2. Several of the guys never saw their teammates before Friday morning much less play with them
3. Watching film and talking through strategy is useless without time putting it into practice.
4. The USMNT has been in training in Florida for weeks and many are on the verge of breaking into the first team.
5. None of the members of the TTMNT play at the top level of US Soccer.

From my observation, several of the players in this game will not put on a shirt for TT when other players join the team. Molino, Garcia, Jones (Joevin), hopefully Frenderup, and several others, now overseas, are likely to be in the game against Guyana and in future qualifiers.
Fenwick was right to accept the game as playing pickup games is no way to determine the quality of your team. We will see who are the resilient ones, who uses this beating as a stimulus to work and get better. The weak minded don't deserve to play irrespective of their individual skill.
Give Fenwick some time. He needs it.

Agree with everything you said. If the choice was to take this game and nothing, I think they made the right choice. At least now TF knows what these players are.

All the people saying we should have parked the bus, it would not have changed the result. And if we had parked the bus, you likely would have complained about that too.
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2021, 08:50:45 AM »
I cannot make sense  out of this game. The team seemed so unprepared that I was left wondering what was the benefits of this game. Was the coach trying some sort of tactical tricks or vetting some local prospects before the big tournaments? None of those seemed the case considering the way the team played. I didn't see any identifiable tactics.

USA picked Trinidad because it is has a good name in CONCACAF but has been declining in recent years and TT accepted to play the sacrificial lamb role. Well, sometime teams accept this role when they need money to support their own prep or other activities for their football. But for this game, I doubt money was a factor in deciding to go play this game unprepared
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 08:54:03 AM by Toussaint »
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 01, 2021, 09:23:57 AM »
WATCH: Men's Senior Team Head Coach Terry Fenwick talks about the 7-0 loss to the United States

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-9lH1q8zaPE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-9lH1q8zaPE</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 01, 2021, 10:32:25 AM »
Fenwick that team would have loss to anybody in concacaf. first of all that defense can’t play under pressure. they need too much time on the ball to settle down and the USA did not allow them that luxury and that was highly visible when they used the high press all game putting numbers forward and closing off the angles, making it difficult to pass out the back.

they also dominated possession to the point where they had us chasing the game from start to finish. what I took from that game yesterday is that the defenders that started that game are very poor, and they can’t t hold a candle to cyrus, bateau and the old back line with their many flaws, at least the old back line would have been able to absorb that high press and play out from the back instead of running to the keeper or hoofing it on every possession, very poor defense indeed.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #192 on: February 01, 2021, 10:45:48 AM »
That is an honest interview but one correction thouhg. This USA is NOT the best team in CONCACAF. They looked good because they had very little to worry about in the game. That being said, I don't think it's fair to judge the coach based on that game alone, though.

Also, Foncette wasn't as bad as the scoreline suggests. I saw some positioning issues but believe it or not overall he was not a bad keeper.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 10:56:56 AM by Toussaint »
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 01, 2021, 11:07:20 AM »
Choice to play the USA - Absolutely right to take the game. Always try to play quality teams, its the best way to develop.

I hear what Fenwick is saying in the interview, and we all know about the circumstances these days -- COVID, FIFA Administrative upheaval, no money for staff/players, etc.

...But when you come down to it, we should not be losing 7-0 at this level. I agree with some here that we should have set up tactically better to be more competitive.

I am in full support of Fenwick and his vision, but not off to a good start.

At times in the future, we will play games against world class teams and miss key players due to injury/suspension. And our game plan must always be to have us competitive at the very least.

This is what Leo Beenhakker showed us.
This is what Mourinho mastered.
This is what teams like Crystal Palace do.

We must be aware of our standing in the bigger picture of world football and adjust to suit.

Against Anguilla we can concentrate against getting in behind their fullbacks as priority.
But against better teams, that priority changes.

No matter how unfamiliar you are with the players, to be considered at this level, they are all professionals and should be able to play to a plan. Losses like these, although a learning, can be demoralizing.
And T&T has historically relied on momentum/mentality - start well and we tend to do better.

Eagerly waiting to see the next game/plan moving forward before March.

But hope this is also a very big learning for Fenwick, in addition to the players.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 01, 2021, 11:29:40 AM »
Choice to play the USA - Absolutely right to take the game. Always try to play quality teams, its the best way to develop.

I hear what Fenwick is saying in the interview, and we all know about the circumstances these days -- COVID, FIFA Administrative upheaval, no money for staff/players, etc.

...But when you come down to it, we should not be losing 7-0 at this level. I agree with some here that we should have set up tactically better to be more competitive.

I am in full support of Fenwick and his vision, but not off to a good start.

At times in the future, we will play games against world class teams and miss key players due to injury/suspension. And our game plan must always be to have us competitive at the very least.

This is what Leo Beenhakker showed us.
This is what Mourinho mastered.
This is what teams like Crystal Palace do.

We must be aware of our standing in the bigger picture of world football and adjust to suit.

Against Anguilla we can concentrate against getting in behind their fullbacks as priority.
But against better teams, that priority changes.

No matter how unfamiliar you are with the players, to be considered at this level, they are all professionals and should be able to play to a plan. Losses like these, although a learning, can be demoralizing.
And T&T has historically relied on momentum/mentality - start well and we tend to do better.

Eagerly waiting to see the next game/plan moving forward before March.

But hope this is also a very big learning for Fenwick, in addition to the players.
bottom line is that we need to do better before we send our lads out there. We need academies, full stop! we just can’t continue to rely on the SSFL as a pipeline, it is counter productive. We also desperately need a good competitive league with promotion and demotion.

we need to invest in community mini stadiums like we have in the conference league, stadiums that could pack in 5 to 8 thousand people max. they should offer a sport store at the stadium to generate revenue and adequate sponsorship from foreign sporting goods outlets. these things are attainable if we really set our minds and hearts on it, that’s where our focus should be, not going to some darn world tournament when our players could hardly make the one in our own region.

Offline raj

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2021, 12:42:11 PM »
If we hope to compete on the world football stage, we need to see an increased focus on the investment in football infrastructure in TT. Some of the lookout areas:

-Pro league teams should have youth academies set up from U-8 to U18 like in UE and EU and Asia.
-Youth prospects signing academy contracts should not be allowed to play SSFL. Academies compete against other academies.
-Youth prospects in these academies can be signed to move to EU or US teams when they meet signing age requirements.
- The best youths from the club academies will qualify for the TT development academy.
-Primary schools and secondary schools league (SSFL) up to U-14 should be used to secure the talent for the academies
-Strong investment needed in coaching training needed for local community teams.
-Strength and conditioning improvement needed to improve on measurable metrics. These players need to improve on speed, agility, power, strength and stamina. Players need to work on their movements and quickness. This work is normally done in gyms and performance centers. This is very costly and would be available at an academy.
-Diet and nutrition for optimal athletic performance. A professional must not be able to eat whatever they want. This knowledge and education is available at the academy.

You could change coaches every year for the next 10 years and still not be competitive unless you have a development strategy. Time for the TT Developement Academy

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2021, 01:10:00 PM »
All the people saying we should have parked the bus, it would not have changed the result. And if we had parked the bus, you likely would have complained about that too.

not me, hadda know yuh cards PREFERABLY from back to front, yuh didn't have much practice, drill and warm up time, setup ah solid low/mid block and see how d players work and organize to keep teams out, is d U.S, we cost dem ah world cup trip, so it was always going to be blitzkrieg in we CuddersMunt, we should have at least known we would have ah storm to weather.......I did, even if Fenwick was more concerned with seeing d players in game than d actual result, dem fellas will be scarred by what transpired dey, and we done have ah inferiority complex when playin d States

Add some ah dem US players look like dey change sport from body building and we boys have little muscles and bellys, HoF need ah fitness\sport science center bad bad.......a big ass hotel and no fitness center in yuh academy yet........steups
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 01:12:04 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2021, 01:31:23 PM »
HoF need ah fitness\sport science center bad bad.......a big ass hotel and no fitness center in yuh academy yet........steups

Right on time!!!

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 01, 2021, 01:59:47 PM »
How the hell #4 made this team, and was captain? That man is rell shit!! He does not even look like a footballer with his over weight k foot ass. I hear they call him Tank at his club. The man more like a donkey cart. #3 kept getting beat, because he was out of position. #22 need to understand he is a GK and not a stopper. I’ll say it.. he’s shit too! Woo ling came on and did nothing.. Alvin.. well that man needed a run up long like a landing strip to kick a penalty that everyone saw where he was going before he even knew it himself. Muckette is a baller.. nice lil 1 touch and he kept moving in space. His team mates was not doing the same, so his efforts only lasted a few seconds before the US got the ball back. I know we will have better players soon.. just don’t let #4 back on that team ever again.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #199 on: February 01, 2021, 05:11:29 PM »
Three players score twice as U.S. men's opens 2021 with dominant 7-0 victory over T&T.
USSOCCER.COM.

ORLANDO, Fla. (Jan. 31, 2021)—The U.S. Men’s National Team kicked off 2021 with a dominant 7-0 win against Trinidad and Tobago as four players scored and five added assists.

The USA got off to a scorching start and kept up relentless pressure all night as forward Jesus Ferreira helped spark the victory, scoring twice while setting up three other goals. Forwards Paul Arriola and Jonathan Lewis also scored twice, marking the first time since 1993 that three USMNT players scored multiple goals in a single game. Ferreira and Lewis’ goals were their first for the USA and center back Miles Robinson also netted his first international goal.

A youthful U.S. line-up out possessed the Soca Warriors by a wide margin and piled up a 19-2 advantage in shots. On the night, six players earned their first caps: goalkeeper Matt Turner and defender Aaron Herrera started the match while defender George Bello, midfielders Andres Perea and Tanner Tessmann and forward Darly Dike came on as second-half substitutes. Ten players who took the field were age-eligible (born in 1997 or later) for March’s Concacaf Men’s Olympic Qualifying Championship.

The USMNT took very little time to show T&T that it would be a long night as Ferreira set up Lewis for his first U.S. goal less than two minutes after the opening whistle.

The Americans pressed aggressively and played at a pace that Trinidad and Tobago struggled to match, with the USA spending much of the game in their attacking half. An extended spell of possession deep in the final third sparked the second USA goal in the ninth minute as a nice interchange ended in a nifty Ferreira finish, the FC Dallas forward’s first tally of the night.

The USA continued to threaten during the course of the half, keeping the Trinidadian defense on its heels and finding plenty of room to run on the wings. Goalkeeper Adrian Foncette had his hands full but did make a few excellent saves on the night to keep the score down. In the 22nd minute, Ferreira broke free on the run towards goal and then teed up an onrushing Arriola for the veteran winger’s first of the night. Not letting up, the D.C. United forward bagged his brace in the 41st. Arriola has scored three goals in his last two matches and tonight’s were his seventh and eight for the USA.

After the break, midfielder Andres Perea entered the match as a substitute to earn his first cap. The Orlando City SC midfielder was granted a one-time change of association from Colombia to represent the USA just before the USMNT’s January training camp kicked off.

The USA kept its foot on the gas after the break and a flurry of goals extended the American advantage early in the second half. A clinical set piece opened the scoring as captain Aaron Long headed the service back across goal to his center back partner Robinson, who buried a diving header from close range for his first international tally. After opening the scoring early, Lewis also netted in 55th minute, ripping a rocket from 18 yards into the right side of the net. Ferreira added his second to cap the scoring in the 62nd.

Following the three-goal outburst, Berhalter made four changes around the 65th minute mark. Shortly after the mass substitution, Trinidad and Tobago was awarded a penalty kick and Turner had his biggest moment of the night. After not having much work in the opening hour, the debutant goalkeeper dove to his right to make the stop on Alvin Jones’ shot, then pounced on the rebound to avoid any further danger.

It was the first penalty kick saved by a USMNT goalkeeper since Brad Guzan's stop Asamoah Gyan’s spot kick in the USA's 2-1 friendly win against Ghana on July 1, 2017 in East Hartford, Conn.

The USMNT will return to action during the March international window. The U-23 USMNT will compete at the Concacaf Men’s Olympic Qualifying Championship from March 18-30 in Guadalajara, Mexico.

GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN

USA – Jonathan Lewis (Jesus Ferreira), 2nd minute: The USMNT got on the board early as Ferreira ran onto a pass into the left side of the penalty area, beating onrushing Trinidad goalkeeper Adrian Foncette to the ball and then touched it away from him. As Foncette tried to recover back into the goal mouth, Ferreira spun to face the middle of the field and calmly rolled a pass into the path of Lewis, who one-timed it to the left side of the net. USA 1, TRI 0.

USA – Jesus Ferreira (Sam Vines), 9th minute: Trinidad & Tobago had trouble clearing their defensive third and midfielder Kellyn Acosta poked the ball away from a Soca Warrior to maintain possession. The USA then worked the ball around from right to left and Lewis received the ball inside the penalty area. Vines made an overlapping run deep into the left side of the penalty area and Lewis played him a perfectly weighted pass. Vines then drove to the end line and cut back a cross to Ferreira, who was lurking near inside the six-yard box and he volleyed it home just inside the left post first U.S. goal. USA 2, TRI 0.

USA – Paul Arriola (Jesus Ferreira), 22nd minute: Breaking free down the right wing, Ferreira raced into the Trinidad penalty area, maneuvering around one defender before patiently laying a short pass off for the late-arriving Arriola. The charging winger launched a hard-hit shot past the Foncette inside the left post for his seventh international goal. USA 3, TRI 0.

USA – Paul Arriola (Jesus Ferreira), 41st minute: As Trinidad attempted to clear a ball in the air, an errant header went right to Ferreira, who put Arriola on towards goal with a strong header of his own. The D.C. United forward got inside his marking defender, took a touch, and rocketed a shot from the top of the box. Foncette got a hand on it, but it ended up in the top right corner of the net. USA 4, TRI 0.

USA – Miles Robinson (Aaron Long), 52nd minute: On a night with limited set-piece opportunities, the USA executed superbly to open the second-half scoring. From the right side of the field, Kellyn Acosta swung in a ball to the far side of the six-yard box, where Long stood unmarked. He headed it across the goalmouth to Robinson and his diving header from close range was good for his first international goal. USA 5, TRI 0.

USA – Jonathan Lewis (Kellyn Acosta), 55th minute: From just behind the midfield line, Acosta bombed a ball downfield to Lewis streaking down the left wing. The Colorado Rapids forward dribbled to the 18-yard line before launching a shot between two defenders to the far top corner. USA 6, TRI 0

USA – Jesus Ferreira (Paul Arriola), 62nd minute: Another booming pass teed up the USA’s final goal of the evening. From near the half-line, Jackson Yueill sent a weakside pass to Arriola on the right wing. He centered it for Ferreira near the top of the box and he dribbled towards the penalty spot before sending a hard-hit shot into the back of the net. USA 7, TRI 0

ADDITIONAL NOTES

- Tonight’s match marked the first time that the USA has tallied six or more goals in three consecutive matches. The USMNT topped El Salvador 6-0 in December and beat Panama 6-2 in November.

- With tonight’s goals from Jonathan Lewis, Jesus Ferreira and Miles Robinson, the USMNT has had three first-time scorers in each of its last three matches. Brenden Aaronson, Ayo Akinola and Chris Mueller netted vs. El Salvador in Dec. and Nicolas Gioacchini, Gio Reyna and Sebastian Soto scored against Panama in Nov.

- Tonight marked the first time that three players have scored multiple goals in a single match for the USMNT since Nov. 14, 1993, when Mark Chung, Dominic Kinnear and Joe Max-Moore all bagged braces in a 8-1 victory over the Cayman Islands in Mission Viejo, Calif.

- The USMNT improves to 20-3-4 all-time vs. Trinidad & Tobago and 14-0-1 in home matches.

- The USMNT is riding a seven-game unbeaten run (6-0-1), a stretch that dates back to the USA’s 4-1 defeat of Canada on Nov. 15, 2019, in Orlando. The current streak is the longest under Berhalter.

- Today’s Starting XI had an average age of 24 years and 246 days and averaged ten caps per player.

- With six international debuts on the night, 42 players have earned their first cap under head coach Gregg Berhalter, the most of any modern-era USMNT head coach through 23 games.

- Aaron Long captained the USMNT for the fifth time. The team is a perfect 5-0-0 when Long has worn the armband, outscoring opponents 19-0.

- Paul Arriola made his 18th appearance under USMNT head coach Gregg Berhalter – the most of any player.

- The 10 players who appeared tonight who are also age-eligible for the Concacaf Men’s Olympic Qualifying Championship are defenders George Bello, Aaron Herrera, Miles Robinson and Sam Vines, midfielders Andres Perea, Tanner Tessmann and Jackson Yueill as well as forwards Daryl Dike, Jesus Ferreira and Jonathan Lewis.

- U.S. MEN’S NATIONAL TEAM MATCH REPORT -

Match: U.S. Men’s National Team vs. Trinidad & Tobago
Date: January 31, 2021
Competition: International Friendly
Venue: Exploria Stadium; Orlando, Fla.
Attendance: 3,503 (Limited Attendance)
Kickoff: 7:25 p.m. ET
Weather: 72 degrees; Clear

Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
USA 4 3 7
TRI 0 0 0

USA -- Jonathan Lewis (Jesús Ferreira) -- 2nd minute
USA -- Jesús Ferreira (Sam Vines) -- 9
USA -- Paul Arriola (Jesús Ferreira) -- 22
USA -- Paul Arriola (Jesús Ferreira) -- 41
USA -- Miles Robinson (Aaron Long) -- 52
USA – Jonathan Lewis (Kellyn Acosta) -- 55
USA -- Jesús Ferreira (Paul Arriola) -- 62

Teams

USA: 1-Matt Turner; 2-Aaron Herrera (25-Tanner Tessmann, 78), 12-Miles Robinson, 3-Aaron Long (Capt.), 4-Sam Vines (21-George Bello, 64); 6-Jackson Yueill (15-Cristian Roldan, 64), 10-Kellyn Acosta, 17-Sebastian Lletget (8-Andrés Perea, 46); 7-Paul Arriola (11-Chris Mueller, 64), 9-Jesús Ferreira (19-Daryl Dike, 65), 14-Jonathan Lewis.

Substitutes not used: 24-Matt Freese, 5-Walker Zimmerman, 16-Kyle Duncan, 20-Benji Michel, 22-Mauricio Pineda.

Head coach: Gregg Berhalter.

TRI: 22-Adrian Foncette; 3-Federico Pena (10-Duane Muckette, 58), 4-Josiah Trimmingham (Capt.) (2-Justin Garcia, 64), 5-Leland Archer, 12-Jamal Jack (6-Noah Powder, 82); 16-Alvin Jones, 18-Ajani Fortune 15-Neveal Hackshaw, 56), 8-Andre Fortune (13-Michel Poon-Angeron, 58); 11-Jabari Mitchell, 17-Sean Bonval (14-Matthew Woo Ling, 56), 7-Ryan Telfer.

Substitutes not used: 1-Marvin Phillip, 9-Brent Sam, 19-Jesse Williams, 20-Hashim Arcia, 21-Gary Griffith III, 23-Jonathan Jimenez.

Head coach: Terry Fenwick.

Stats Summary: USA / TRI
Shots: 19 / 2
Shots on Goal: 12 / 1
Saves: 1 / 6
Corner Kicks: 3 /1
Fouls: 15 / 11
Offside: 6 / 1

Misconduct Summary:

TRI -- Jabari Mitchell (Caution) -- 53rd minute
TRI -- Matthew Wooling (Caution) -- 78

Officials:

Referee: Hector Said Martinez (HON)                                                                                       
Assistant Referee 1: Walter Lopez (HON)                                                                                               
Assistant Referee 2: Jesus Tabora (HON)                                                                                   
4th Official: Selvin Brown (HON) 

U.S. Soccer Insiders Man of the Match: Jesús Ferreira

WATCH: USMNT completely outclasses Trinidad & Tobago in 7-0 blowout win | FOX SOCCER HIGHLIGHTS

WATCH: Fenwick's Post-Match Comments following 7-0 defeat to USA

RELATED NEWS

Fenwick: I expected more from foreign-based footballers.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

T&T men's senior football coach Terry Fenwick said he expected more from the foreign-based players in the international friendly against the US in which T&T suffered a 7-0 drubbing at the Exploria Stadium in Orlando, Florida, on Sunday.

T&T, playing under Fenwick for the first time, were no match for the US.

Jonathan Lewis, Jesus Ferreira and Paul Arriola each scored two goals apiece to lead the way for the US. Miles Robinson also got his name on the scoresheet with a header.

T&T were on the back foot from the opening whistle and at halftime US had opened up a 4-0 advantage, before adding three more in the second half.

Trailing 7-0, T&T had an opportunity to score from the penalty spot, but Alvin Jones failed to convert in the 66th minute.

It was the first time T&T had played a competitive match in over a year, since Fenwick took over in January 2020. The covid19 pandemic and the feud between the TT Football Association and FIFA led to no football for T&T in 2020.

T&T fielded mostly foreign-based players in the first half, who had been playing more consistently than the local-based players. Fenwick said he expected more from them.

"I had six players start the game that I had not seen before. I have seen them on YouTube and (used) other information I had collected from them. They are playing in decent leagues (and) I expected more, I expected better. We just did not perform. It was like the occasion was too much."

Fenwick will be hoping to have more seasoned campaigners available such as Kevin Molino, Joevin Jones, Khaleem Hyland and Levi Garcia when the Concacaf World Cup qualifiers kick off in March.

T&T will face Guyana in its opening match on March 25.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 05:16:39 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2021, 05:24:36 PM »
Hey Mods any chance of viewing a replay of the game anywhere?
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 01, 2021, 05:57:08 PM »
WATCH: Defender Neveal Hackshaw's post-match reactions after Trinidad and Tobago's 7-0 loss to United States

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JsmcDcOtwLU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JsmcDcOtwLU</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 01, 2021, 06:06:12 PM »
WATCH: Former National Footballer now Coach, Angus Eve, says last evening's record-breaking defeat at the hands of the United States was not a good sign for national football.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XOvAoDbN2A8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XOvAoDbN2A8</a>

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 01, 2021, 07:07:36 PM »
I wonder what happened to Nathan Lewis. He was a solid baller for us...
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 01, 2021, 07:16:18 PM »
WATCH: Former National Footballer now Coach, Angus Eve, says last evening's record-breaking defeat at the hands of the United States was not a good sign for national football.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XOvAoDbN2A8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XOvAoDbN2A8</a>

The prosecution, part II. Just as level-headed as Part I.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 01, 2021, 07:22:52 PM »
I wonder what happened to Nathan Lewis. He was a solid baller for us...

Just like some jobs, he not coming back.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 01, 2021, 07:33:00 PM »

listen to the rubbish this idiot is pushing, local vs foreign based. that’s all he got from the game, I thought we was supposed to be a team? this is exactly the sentiments that I alluded to in an earlier post, the egomania amongst our local football fraternity is an ever impending doom on the growth and developement of the game on the twin islands.

years ago before there were any such thing as local vs foreign there was north vs south vs tobago. The southern players would cry about being undermined by coaches who favored northern players, and Tobagonians would complain how their players are being marginalized and overlooked for trinidad born players. now in the 21st century it’s local vs foreign based. when would this divisive nonsense end?? aren’t we supposed to be one bloody team?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 07:35:32 PM by pull stones »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 01, 2021, 07:46:33 PM »
That is an honest interview but one correction thouhg. This USA is NOT the best team in CONCACAF. They looked good because they had very little to worry about in the game. That being said, I don't think it's fair to judge the coach based on that game alone, though.

Also, Foncette wasn't as bad as the scoreline suggests. I saw some positioning issues but believe it or not overall he was not a bad keeper.

He definitely was not as bad as the scoreline, but that's not the benchmark. As for the diagnosis I don't agree that it was merely positional.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 01, 2021, 07:50:26 PM »
Fenwick confused leadership and projections of leadership with ballership. All deer are deer, but a deer in the headlights is likely a dead deer.

1]; } ?>