March 28, 2024, 04:05:54 AM

Author Topic: Tyra Gittens Thread  (Read 6827 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tyra Gittens Thread
« on: March 12, 2021, 05:10:09 PM »
The young lady delivered.

https://www.guardian.co.tt/sports/gittens-wins-ncaa-pentathlon-title-6.2.1300933.3edefa07c2

T&T's Tyra Gittens put on an amazing record-breaking performance to claim the NCAA pentathlon national championship with a score of 4,764 points at the Randal Tyson Track Center in Fayetteville, Arkansas in the United States on Thursday evening.

The University of Texas A&M junior also set a new national record, the previous mark being 4,276, which was held by her and is the most in the pentathlon by a women's athlete from a Caribbean nation.

While setting a collegiate record, the multi-athlete also set a facility record and became the first female Aggie to win an individual indoor title since 2014 when Brea Garrett won the weight throw.

"Today (Thursday) means so much to me. When I was a freshman and looked at the collegiate record I just thought ‘Oh my gosh, I don’t think I can do that but I can come somewhere in that area’.

"As I matured, I definitely realised that it can be more achievable than I thought and I was so happy that I was able to do it today, "The national champion Gittens was quoted saying on the Texas A&M website.

En route to setting an overall personal best in the pentathlon, she set personal records in three of the five events, while winning three events.

Gittens’ day started with clocking 8.27 in the 60m hurdles, .01 seconds faster than her previous personal best. She followed by winning the high jump at 1.93m, which bettered her previous school record of 1.91m. The high-flyer owns the top five all-time performances in Aggie history, she has cleared 1.93m, 1.91m, 1.89m, 1.88m and 1.87m in her career. Her clearance also equalled the T&T national record held by Natasha Alleyne-Gibson.

She continued to show her dominance winning the shot put at 13.86m, less than two inches short of her personal record. The junior followed by winning the long jump on her final attempt at 6.58m, which was just short of her personal record of 6.62m.

Gittens capped the record performance by clocking a personal-best 800m time of 2:28.22, which produced an overall pentathlon score of 4,764.

“I think the 800 was definitely the thing that I’m most proud of because of how much of a mental block and just mental funk it is for me. Even though it wasn’t an amazing time, I broke out of that mental blockage and it was definitely needed today. I came into the meet saying, ‘However, anything else goes, I don’t care because the 800 is one thing that I know I need to work on. And I was so happy. I could cry that it turned out the way it did and I stuck to it. I stuck to the plan,” said Gittens on her fantastic showing in the two-lap event.

Texas A&M's head coach Pat Henry raved about Gittens’ achievement saying: "It was the finest effort any collegiate athlete has ever had. To do the things she did and start off with a personal best in the 60m hurdles and clear 6-4 in the high jump is absolutely a tremendous start. She came to this meet with a lot of intention, an intention to win this championship.

“Tyra [Gittens] didn't win the SEC title two weeks ago and it shows the whole team that it's about how you think. If you're a positive person and go in there with the experiences you've had, be ready to do it on this day. This is the day that you have to put everything you know together to try to win an event. I think today teaches that it showed that you can do it because Tyra just did it!"
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 05:14:06 PM by Deeks »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Re: Tyra Gittens Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 01:14:01 PM »
Maybe our next medal is our first female Olympic medal.

This is officially our light at the end of the tunnel because I truly do not see another medal coming from anywhere else, anytime soon.

If someone disagrees, kindly tell me which event...
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 12:53:00 AM »
Maybe our next medal is our first female Olympic medal.

This is officially our light at the end of the tunnel because I truly do not see another medal coming from anywhere else, anytime soon.

If someone disagrees, kindly tell me which event...

Breds, I know You looking for argument to light up this thread  ;D. I can't argue with You on this one. TF looking so bleak. She winning this is a breadth of fresh air. If she was to win or place in top 5 in the NCAA outdoors, then we will be hopeful that she will be the first woman to medal at the Olympics.  Too long overdue!!!!  Oh, Ato. Don't forget Teneil Campbell, the cyclist.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 02:53:00 AM by Deeks »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 11:16:31 PM »
Nooo, is not argument I looking for - I'm truly asking in the hope that someone maybe says "but what about _______ who's been running/throwing/jumping pretty well?"

But because this is kind of my side of the fence, I'm not expecting there to be anyone.

BORN TO DO IT

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2021, 05:32:25 PM »
Nooo, is not argument I looking for - I'm truly asking in the hope that someone maybe says "but what about _______ who's been running/throwing/jumping pretty well?"

But because this is kind of my side of the fence, I'm not expecting there to be anyone.

Breds, I know what You mean. We cool. The TF page has been sedated for a long while. Anything by a TT athlete to bring to the page will be great.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 01:13:25 AM by Deeks »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 01:46:30 PM »
Well done my lady. Smashed the TT women's record in high jump, long jump and heptathlon. Now #1 on IAAF top list for heptathlon. 4th on IAAF top list for long jump.

Superb performances. Our best medal hopes. Gold is very possible for Tokyo in the heptathlon. Maybe even 3 medals if she decides to do the heptathlon, high jump and long jump.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 12:11:08 PM »

BIG BIG!!!
hopefully she delivers a medal in Tokyo

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mudhKW4hG-U" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mudhKW4hG-U</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2021, 01:07:03 PM »

Her interview after that record breaking performance ..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI2Qwj6n-BI

:beermug: :beermug:

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 09:20:18 AM »
We will see how good Tyra really is at this stage of her career come NCAA finals in a few days

and this is what she did last month at the SEC finals to win gold
https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrinbago/videos/835434650433520

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2021, 06:24:20 PM »
Wish her all the best. If she make the final in any of her events, that will be good for me.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 10:27:21 PM »

NCAA finals action

Today she won the Silver in the Long Jump!  :beermug:  Tomorrow she will be moving on to her strong event, the Heptathlon

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrinbago/photos/a.110018710344314/515368016476046/

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 08:42:59 PM »
TG is on pace to make the Olympic standard. First for TT in the heptathlon. . What makes this first special is that she can actually medal. She'll also be doing 3 events . . Or 9 depends on how you see it. Congratulations!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 08:45:02 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2021, 01:06:50 AM »
TG is on pace to make the Olympic standard. First for TT in the heptathlon. . What makes this first special is that she can actually medal. She'll also be doing 3 events . . Or 9 depends on how you see it. Congratulations!

Boy, I praying she win ah medal. It log overdue to a TT woman to medal for TT.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2021, 05:12:47 AM »

She already made the Olympic standard in the Long Jump and Heptathlon. She can represent T&T in both if she wants

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 08:43:38 AM »

She already made the Olympic standard in the Long Jump and Heptathlon. She can represent T&T in both if she wants

She almost did a month ago. Came up short by 2 points. TG - 6418 Olympic standard - 6420 . She also made the High Jump standard and will be the first athlete to do long jump and high jump at an Olympics.

If she gets the hep standard today, she'll be the first athlete in history to compete in a HJ, LJ and Hep at an Olympics.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2021, 06:08:12 PM »
 :thumbsup:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2021, 08:23:46 PM »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2021, 11:09:05 AM »

2021 NCAA HEPTATHLON CHAMPION!  :beermug:

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrinbago/photos/a.110018710344314/516511803028334/

History made. First Caribbean athlete to win the NCAA Heptathlon.

I hope she can find a meet before Tokyo selection, so she can get the 6420 standard.

If you heard her interview yesterday, she said she is finished with NCAA. Suggesting that she is foregoing her last year and turning pro.

Decent 200m time for a hep athlete. 23sec.  . Might be a good back up for the 4x100. Possibly 4x400 if it ever came to be.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2021, 07:48:18 PM »
She may qualify for the heptathlon by her ranking. Apparently if she stays in third on the heptathlon top list, she will qualify, despite not getting the 6420 standard.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2021, 09:33:24 PM »
She may qualify for the heptathlon by her ranking. Apparently if she stays in third on the heptathlon top list, she will qualify, despite not getting the 6420 standard.

:thumbsup:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2021, 08:09:21 AM »
Might be a good back up for the 4x100. Possibly 4x400 if it ever came to be.

You think she will have enough energy for that ?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2021, 10:23:20 AM »
I have a question. Simply a question out of curiousity coming from Tyra's recent NCAA college success. And hopefully Ato can chime in on this one

For an athlete who is NOT yet pro, and in most cases still a college athlete. The college track and field season is now over and he/she is getting ready to represent their country in Olympics. So about the coach going forward now? In most cases its the same coaches they had all year will be coaching them. So for an athlete like Tyra who is from another country using her college coach in an already finished college season,how does that work? What is in it for the coach to still go as hard as before? he is now not coaching her for his college or her college at this point in the season.

Keep in mind I am not asking for Tyra or any athlete to change coach, I just don't see how this will always work in the athlete best interest.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 03:49:20 PM by Sando prince »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2021, 02:49:55 PM »
Might be a good back up for the 4x100. Possibly 4x400 if it ever came to be.

You think she will have enough energy for that ?

Nope.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2021, 02:54:24 PM »
I have a question. Simply a question out of curiousity coming from Tyra's recent NCAA college success. And hopefully Ato can chime in on this one

For an athlete who is NOT yet pro, and in most cases still a college athlete. The college track and field season is now over and he/she is getting ready to represent their country in Olympics. So about the coach going forward now? In most cases its the same coaches they had all year will be coaching them. So for an athlete like Tyra who is from another country using her college coach in an already finished college season,how does that work? What is in it for the coach to still go as hard as before? he is no coaching her for his his college or her college at this point in the season.

Keep in mind I am not asking for Tyra or any athlete to change coach, I just don't see how this will always work in the athlete best interest.

This is how I think it works. . her coach has other athletes too. Chances are he is also getting them prepared for US trials and Olympics too. Many of the coaches have camps where past ncaa/pro athletes train. So I'm sure Tyra will still be training under her current coach if she turned pro in the summer. I could be wrong.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2021, 03:52:20 PM »

For an athlete who is NOT yet pro, and in most cases still a college athlete. The college track and field season is now over and he/she is getting ready to represent their country in Olympics. So about the coach going forward now? In most cases its the same coaches they had all year will be coaching them. So for an athlete like Tyra who is from another country using her college coach in an already finished college season,how does that work? What is in it for the coach to still go as hard as before? he is no coaching her for his his college or her college at this point in the season.

This is how I think it works. . her coach has other athletes too. Chances are he is also getting them prepared for US trials and Olympics too. Many of the coaches have camps where past ncaa/pro athletes train. So I'm sure Tyra will still be training under her current coach if she turned pro in the summer. I could be wrong.

Ah hear yuh but just not confident this always work out in the favour of an athlete in Tyra's situation.  The coach during the college season had a vested interest for his college team but now at this point after a finished college season he is now coaching a non professional student athlete who will be competing for another country. What is in it for him?

And this more of a general question, just using Tyra and her coach as an example. Not targeting anyone

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2021, 09:59:53 PM »
What is in it for him?

Somewhere along the line he is making money.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2022, 08:15:19 PM »

Very good start to the season Tyra.

Trinidad and Tobago young sensation Tyra Gittens earned silver at the NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in Birmingham, Alabama, USA. 
https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrinbago/photos/a.240163770663140/685932649419581/

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2022, 04:29:42 PM »
How come Tyra was not selected for the indoor team. Did she not have good times? Is she injured ?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2022, 06:35:51 PM »
How come Tyra was not selected for the indoor team. Did she not have good times? Is she injured ?

How come you don't even think to ask if she was interested to compete in world indoors this year? You can't just assume she was not selected. Can only be selected if available.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2022, 09:39:36 PM »

How come you don't even think to ask if she was interested to compete in world indoors this year? You can't just assume she was not selected. Can only be selected if available.

Did not hear anything about her, that is why I am asking.

1]; } ?>