March 28, 2024, 11:32:24 AM

Author Topic: Daniel Phillips Thread  (Read 5710 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Phillips Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2021, 08:30:01 AM »
T&T footballer Daniel Phillips's English club Watford to play in English Premiership.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

T&T footballer Daniel Phillips may feature in the English Premiership next season after his Watford FC earned promotion to the top flight after a 1-0 win over Millwall in the Championship Division, on Saturday.

Phillips was not in the Watford squad for Saturday's match.

Phillips, who made his debut for T&T against Guyana on March 25 in a FIFA World Cup qualifying match, will become the first T&T international to play in the Premiership since former T&T striker Kenwyne Jones.

Phillips also played for T&T against Puerto Rico on March 28.

will or would?

Does it matter? Unless they trade him. I am so happy for him.

Journalistic and editorial comment. Not a career path comment. But, of course, we wish him well.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2021, 09:28:00 AM »
T&T footballer Daniel Phillips's English club Watford to play in English Premiership.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

T&T footballer Daniel Phillips may feature in the English Premiership next season after his Watford FC earned promotion to the top flight after a 1-0 win over Millwall in the Championship Division, on Saturday.

Phillips was not in the Watford squad for Saturday's match.

Phillips, who made his debut for T&T against Guyana on March 25 in a FIFA World Cup qualifying match, will become the first T&T international to play in the Premiership since former T&T striker Kenwyne Jones.

Phillips also played for T&T against Puerto Rico on March 28.

I doh even see why this is news, at least in de manner presented. Watford was in de Premiership last season and Phillips was with de club last season. Nothing to see here.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2021, 10:48:16 AM »
On loan at Gillingham for 2021 season
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Exciting Watford prospect Daniel Phillips joins Gillingham on loan
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2021, 01:03:35 PM »
Exciting Watford prospect Daniel Phillips joins Gillingham on loan
gillinghamfootballclub.com

Steve Evans has won the race to the capture of exciting central midfield player, Daniel Phillips, on a season-long loan from Premier League side Watford.

The 20-year-old featured five times for the Hornets last season, one of those appearances being at Old Trafford in the Emirates FA Cup.

Phillips came through the academy ranks at Chelsea before signing for Watford as a 14-year old in 2015. He made his professional debut in a 1-0 win over Middlesbrough in September 2020.

He has already represented Trinidad and Tobago on two occasions. He made his full international debut in March earlier this year against Guyana.

The manager remained patient in his chase for the player, but was delighted to get it sorted.

He said: "He is a player that I first became aware of when I watched a number of Watford U23 games last season, in which the boy was outstanding.

"I wouldn't expect many of our supporters to know much about the young man, but they will certainly know about Kalvin Phillips of Leeds United and England, and if they want a comparison from me then there it is.

“Given he is much more inexperienced, and although younger than Kalvin, what a great benchmark for him to aim for.

"A number of clubs at the high end of League 1’s spending table were in talks with Watford, but I was delighted to get a call from the new Technical Director to say that our offer to bring this man on loan to the Gills was the preferred option for the player, and the management team at Watford.

"He joins on a season long loan, and we will work hard for him to continue his development. I am of course grateful to the staff at Watford."

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2021, 07:45:02 PM »

Congrats to you Daniel Phillips. Our only player in the EPL

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrinbago/photos/a.110018710344314/541794160500098

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2021, 07:50:02 AM »

Congrats to you Daniel Phillips. Our only player in the EPL

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrinbago/photos/a.110018710344314/541794160500098

Become part of the solution.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2021, 05:46:42 PM »
Midfielder Daniel Phillips smashed home a right footed volley from 25 yards during Gillingham's 2-2 draw with Crawley Town in the first round of the Carabao Cup. Gillingham eventually prevailed 10-9 on penalties with Daniel successfully converting his spot kick.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/W_goBNl1688?start=64" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/W_goBNl1688?start=64</a>
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 08:50:58 PM by Tallman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2021, 10:38:41 AM »
Phillips | "Every game is equally important"
By David Spendley (gillinghamfootballclub.com)

Daniel Phillips returned to action for the Gills with a man-of-the-match display against Sheffield Wednesday last Saturday and admitted, “It’s good to be back."

The Trinidad and Tobago international, on loan from Watford, now has his sights set on getting as much game time as he can, starting at Crewe this weekend.

Phillips, speaking ahead of Saturday’s Sky Bet League One clash, said: “I’m here to get experience and play games, so it was a bit of a setback when I got injured, but I just got my head focused on coming back. The squad have had difficulties with injuries but I got back in the squad sooner than expected. I want to play in every game. I want to play as much as I can and contribute as much as I can on the pitch.

“I don’t like to limit myself to positions; so far this season I have played a few positions across the midfield. I’ll do the job that I am asked to do. I like to get myself around the pitch. I don’t just sit back; I like to get forward as well.

“This squad is still capable of a lot, we just need to get people fit first and get a run going. The boys who are fit are trying to support the ones who are injured and vice-versa. Nobody wants to be injured and missing games. Everyone is working hard to get fit and get back to playing.”

The former Chelsea academy prospect, and cousin of ex-Gills playing legend Ian Cox, insists the team are feeling confident ahead of their trip to The Mornflake Stadium despite the mounting injury crisis that the Kent side are enduring. He also says that they will not be taking the Railwaymen, currently rooted to the bottom of the table, lightly as they will be desperately scrapping for points.

The combative midfielder said: “We will talk about Crewe today, hopefully we will go there with a strong squad. Whoever goes there will be prepared.

“Every game is equally important, despite where the team is in the table. There are no easy games when you get out onto the pitch. We know we need to pick up some points and we are working hard towards that. There is a lot of quality in our team. This is a big game for us, they all are.”

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2022, 09:22:14 PM »
Midfield ‘cog’ Daniel Phillips plays St Johnstone trial match as Callum Davidson gives striker update
By Eric Nicolson (The Courier)

Daniel Phillips could be the midfield “cog” St Johnstone have been needing, according to manager Callum Davidson.

The former Watford international, a regular with Trinidad and Tobago, is currently on trial at McDiarmid Park.

Davidson has liked what he’s seen so far from the 21-year-old who “snaps into tackles”.

And he’s hoping that a bounce game will back-up the free agent’s excellent training ground impact.

“Daniel has been training with us for the last week and has looked good,” said Davidson.

“We are looking for someone in the middle of the park who gets around the pitch, makes tackles and brings loads of energy.

“Daniel does that.

“He’s very good on the ball, has a bit of bite and has looked sharp.

“He’s someone who snaps into tackles, gets about and is able to recover but also at the same time has quality on the ball.

“From what we’ve seen so far he’s always on the move, keeps things going and can be that cog that helps keep everything turning.”

A product of the youth academies at Chelsea and Watford, Phillips has got 21 games for Gillingham in League One under his belt.

“Daniel has come here with a decent pedigree, playing for Watford, Gillingham and also a couple of times for his national team,” Davidson added.

“He’s played a decent amount of games in England and is a good age.

“He is a young man making his way in the game so he fits the profile of what we’re looking for.

“We have the experienced ones we wanted on board but I’ve always been looking to bring in someone for this role who has that youthful enthusiasm and real energy.

“Getting someone for the middle of the park is important to us. We’ve been looking to add there for a while.

“Daniel has come up to train, he’s done well, so we’ll have a look at him in a game now and make a decision after that.”

A centre-forward is the other position that is in need of attention.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2022, 03:19:54 AM »
Midfield ‘cog’ Daniel Phillips plays St Johnstone trial match as Callum Davidson gives striker update

Daniel Phillips could be the midfield “cog” St Johnstone have been needing, according to manager Callum Davidson.

The former Watford international, a regular with Trinidad and Tobago, is currently on trial at McDiarmid Park.

Davidson has liked what he’s seen so far from the 21-year-old who “snaps into tackles”.

And he’s hoping that a bounce game will back-up the free agent’s excellent training ground impact.

“Daniel has been training with us for the last week and has looked good,” said Davidson.

“We are looking for someone in the middle of the park who gets around the pitch, makes tackles and brings loads of energy.

“Daniel does that.

“He’s very good on the ball, has a bit of bite and has looked sharp.

“He’s someone who snaps into tackles, gets about and is able to recover but also at the same time has quality on the ball.

“From what we’ve seen so far he’s always on the move, keeps things going and can be that cog that helps keep everything turning.”

A product of the youth academies at Chelsea and Watford, Phillips has got 21 games for Gillingham in League One under his belt.

“Daniel has come here with a decent pedigree, playing for Watford, Gillingham and also a couple of times for his national team,” Davidson added.

“He’s played a decent amount of games in England and is a good age.

“He is a young man making his way in the game so he fits the profile of what we’re looking for.

“We have the experienced ones we wanted on board but I’ve always been looking to bring in someone for this role who has that youthful enthusiasm and real energy.

“Getting someone for the middle of the park is important to us. We’ve been looking to add there for a while.

“Daniel has come up to train, he’s done well, so we’ll have a look at him in a game now and make a decision after that.”

A centre-forward is the other position that is in need of attention.

Low bar. Half tongue in cheek.

They need all the help they can get. Only mustered one win during last season's relegation round and also managed to measure the critical result needed to maintain their top flight status.

That defensive pivot role seems a particularly important assignment for a coach who favoured a Back Three.

Hope this works out as time is ticking.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 04:08:03 AM by asylumseeker »

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2022, 12:33:23 PM »
Daniel Phillips signs with St. Johnstone
perthstjohnstonefc.co.uk

The Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of Daniel Phillips on a two-year contract.

The 21-year-old joins the club after impressing during his week long trial and participation in a bounce game.

Phillips started his playing career at Chelsea between the ages of 10 and 14 before signing for Watford. He signed his first professional contract at the club in 2019 and was sent on his first loan spell to National League South side Hemel Hempstead Town .

Phillips signed a one-year contract extension in June 2020 at the Hornets. In July 2021, Phillips joined Gillingham on a season-long loan. In March 2021, Phillips was called up by Trinidad and Tobago for the first time.

Phillips spoke to SaintsTV after penning his new deal:

"I am delighted to sign for St Johnstone, I am really excited for the season ahead.

"My agent put me in contact and said they wanted me to come in on a week long trial. That helped me settle in and the players have been brilliant in welcoming me since then. The standard of training was really good with a high intensity and a fast pace.

"I spoke to one of my ex-teammates, Joseph Hungbo, who was on loan at Ross County last year. He told me really good things about the league and to come here straight away. He said it is physical but that I will enjoy it."

“I can’t wait to get started.”

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2022, 03:11:52 PM »
St Johnstone midfielder Daniel Phillips hopes to follow ex-Dundee hero Glen Kamara’s lead in Scottish football

New St Johnstone recruit Daniel Phillips is hoping to give his football career a Glen Kamara-style kick-start in Scottish football.

Like his weekend Ibrox opponent, Phillips was afforded an English Premier League academy upbringing in the game.

And like his Ibrox weekend opponent he has gone from lower league loans south of the border to a first permanent transfer north of it.

Kamara, now valued at around £8 million should Rangers decide to sell him, certainly hasn’t had cause to regret signing for Dundee.

And the Finland international’s example is one Phillips would love to follow with Saints.

“Definitely,” said the 21-year-old.

“There are lots of positives in coming here. The opportunity to step up the ladder and make a name for yourself is one of them.

“I know the league and quality of it.

“When the chance arose to train with St Johnstone I thought it was definitely something I should come and see for myself.

“There were a few people who were at Gillingham last year who have played in Scotland.

“And a few at Watford as well.

“I spoke to Jo Hungo, Daniel Bachmann and Olly Lee.

“All of them spoke highly of the league.

“They told me that I would fit in, that it’s a quality league and that if I played well I’d be seen.

“I definitely think it will suit me.”

Red card lessons

Phillips has vowed to channel his midfield aggression in the right way.

And the man who got sent off three times for Gillingham last season believes the manner in which he walked the tackle tightrope at Ibrox showed he’s already learning from mistakes.

Phillips was a class act for Saints on his debut – having come on after just six minutes following a game-ending thigh injury for Cammy MacPherson.

Perth fans will have been impressed by his mixture of intensity and composure.

And the Trindad and Tobago international believes they don’t have to worry about him repeating last season’s sending off errors.

It’s part of my game,” said the former Watford player. “Getting involved and being physical.

“It’s something I’m going to have to learn to keep a lid on.

“Today after I got my first booking it showed that I am learning – when to go and when to stand.”

Be prepared

There were no points for Saints but plenty of post-match plaudits came Phillips’ way after he took an unexpectedly swift entrance in his stride.

“You’ve got to be prepared,” he said.

“You make sure you’re properly warmed up as a sub because you never know what might happen.

“I was ready to go.

“I always back myself to get on the ball and make things happen.

“That’s something I’ll try to do whatever the circumstances.”

Phillips added: “It was a baptism of fire.

“But these are the games you want to be involved in.

“The biggest crowd I’d have played in before would have been half that size probably.

“I really enjoyed it. I felt comfortable.

“The quality was high and so was the pace of the game. I’ll have to adapt to that pace quickly and I’m confident I will.”
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 12:15:46 PM by Tallman »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2022, 05:29:30 AM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: Stay away from red cards.

Finally a Trini in Scotland.  :devil:

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2022, 06:49:37 PM »

published at 17:54 20 August
17:54 20 August
Daniel Phillips made his first start in midfield for St Johnstone, and looked pretty good. He won six of his 10 duels and showed good strength, as well as some nice touches on the ball.
He was taken off a bit earlier than might have been expected because of an early booking, but showed some promising signs.

BBC

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2022, 08:39:11 PM »
"Top class" St Johnstone midfielder Dan Phillips earns glowing review - and not getting booked was a bonus
Perthshire Advertiser

Sometimes the simple things are most pleasing.

The way a player accepts the football, holds onto it comfortably and then keeps possession ticking over with ease.

The way in which the ball is retrieved back when the opposition attempt to mount a dangerous attack of their own.

And certainly in that sense, the performance of Daniel Phillips against Ross County in the Highlands last weekend was kind on the eye and provided further evidence that he could well become a success at McDiarmid Park.

Phillips has been seen little by the Perth faithful since signing in August, not helped by injury and competition for places in the middle of the park. But he got his chance in Dingwall and took it.

A Trinidad and Tobago international whose youth career involved spells at Chelsea and Watford, Phillips was deployed in a defensive midfield role and provided a safety net for Graham Carey and David Wotherspoon.

He likes a tackle, perhaps too much so at times, but being busy is a trait which should not be talked down. You want him harassing his opponent and giving them as little time as possible to create.

Phillips is strong and used his frame on multiple occasions last weekend to shepherd the ball in the direction he desired while creating space to switch the play or pick a forward pass.

“You can see that Dan is very combative and physical,” manager Callum Davidson said of the 21-year-old.

“But he is really good on the ball, takes it and holds it for you. He is a confident young man.

“I think Saturday was the first game he hasn’t been booked in. I was pleased with that! He is learning all the time.

“He has qualities, aggression and physical strength. I was really pleased with him at Ross County.

“You see a lot of things in him and think ‘wow’.

“You can’t teach certain players how he holds the ball off, his strength and how he accelerates out of trouble.

“Dan has really quick feet, a good range of passing and understands the game. There are a lot of positives.

“But he needs to work hard and make sure he is as fit as he can be. When he is fit, he is a top class player.

“A bit like Cammy MacPherson, we just want him to stay fit until the end of the season.

“We have a young group coming through at St Johnstone who could be here for years to come.

“It is really important that Dan stays fit and produces performances.”

Off the field of play, Phillips appears to be settling in rather nicely and was all smiles when the cameras were down at training last week.

Davidson revealed: “He is a lovely guy and is very chatty in training. Very aggressive in training.

“He gets on well with the lads. From what I see around the place, he has fitted in really well. It is a great place to fit in.”

Davidson, meanwhile, also provided an update on striker Chris Kane who has been out for the best part of a year with a knee problem. He was influential in the club’s cup double success.

“Chris is at a stage where he is probably going to have to have a wee go and push through,” Davidson said.

“He will need to see where he is and get back to training as quickly as he can. He has worked really hard on his strength.

“Injuries can be difficult and sometimes you get stuck. I’ve been there myself. Sometimes you need to grind through it.

“He has done all the work and the specialists are happy with his knee. There is just a little bit of discomfort.

“Hopefully we can get him through this last little stage and get him back on the training pitch.

“It has all been done medically. He has seen two or three different people to assess it.

“We’ll probably have more news on him in two or three weeks’ time.”

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2023, 09:08:00 AM »
St Johnstone have star in making in Dan Phillips, says Graham Carey

St Johnstone have only scratched the surface as far as the potential of midfielder Dan Phillips is concerned, according to team-mate, Graham Carey.

The Trinidad and Tobago international was hindered by injuries and missing out on a full pre-season when he arrived at McDiarmid Park in August.

But he shone in a new-look midfield after the turn of the year, impressing Saints fans with his passing range and ability to dictate the pace of a game.

Carey believes the Perth club have a star in the making on their hands, with the best still to come from the Chelsea and Watford academy product.

“Dan has everything to be a really, really good midfielder,” said the Irishman.

“Physically he can still keep developing.

“Because of his size, he’s quite muscular already but he just needs to get an engine in him and he will be a real force for us.

“He’s still really young.

“I don’t think people realise how young he is, so he can still develop a lot.”

Box to box

Carey can envisage Phillips increasing his goals and assists contribution in 2023/24.

“Dan needs to find his best position because although he’s sat for us, he can also go box to box and get higher up the park,” he said.

“He’s so powerful that if we can get him into the final third he’d be a real asset for us.

“I think the more games he gets the better he will be for us.

“He is eager to learn, he asks for advice and if he makes mistakes he wants to ask you about it and how to be better.

“I also think playing international football for Trinidad, getting that experience of playing against different players, will help him.

“I think he can really kick on next season and be an even better player.”

1]; } ?>