March 28, 2024, 02:10:27 PM

Author Topic: Daniel Phillips Thread  (Read 5713 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Daniel Phillips Thread
« on: July 01, 2019, 02:19:03 PM »
Watford Academy “Player of the Season”, Daniel Phillips, expresses interest in playing for Trinidad and Tobago
TTFA Media

English-born midfielder Daniel Phillips, an 18-year-old who is eligible to represent Trinidad and Tobago has secured a professional contract with English club Watford.

Phillips was offered the two-year pro deal after impressing during his time in the club’s youth set-up.

Phillips was named 2018/19 academy Player of the Season and was rewarded with the contract.

Eligible for T&T through his father who was born in Trinidad and Tobago, Phillips has already expressed a keen interest in representing this country. He showed up at Wrexham in March to witness this country’s international friendly with Wales and met with members of the T&T contingent after the 1-0 defeat.

His father David Roger Edward Phillips was born in Port of Spain while his mother Leonora was born in Bristol before moving to Trinidad at age 3 where she resided until age 33. Phillips is also the cousin of former T&T defender Ian Cox who was a member of the 2006 World Cup squad. His grandfather of the late Captain Archilus Phillips of the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force.

Young Phillips was born in Enfield, North London.

“I’m excited to get the opportunity to play international football and get the international experience,” Phillips told TTFA Media. “To get the chance to test myself at the international level is something I’m looking forward to,” he added.

Phillips is described by Watford as “ A central midfield player who joined the club as an Under-14,  Phillips is very comfortable on the ball and has good technique. He breaks lines in possession very well, creating attacking opportunities for the team.”
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 01:59:52 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Scouting for Soca Warriors, the Thread.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 03:02:44 PM »
That's exactly the type of midfield player we need at this moment. Let's see if we drop the ball on this.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 03:32:24 PM »
That's exactly the type of midfield player we need at this moment. Let's see if we drop the ball on this.

he can be part of our next under 20 team . i wonder what happened to carlitos williams the other player at watford flex posted some years ago
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 05:36:18 PM »
Watford Academy “Player of the Season”, Daniel Phillips, expresses interest in playing for Trinidad and Tobago
TTFA Media

English-born midfielder Daniel Phillips, an 18-year-old who is eligible to represent Trinidad and Tobago has secured a professional contract with English club Watford.

Phillips was offered the two-year pro deal after impressing during his time in the club’s youth set-up.

Phillips was named 2018/19 academy Player of the Season and was rewarded with the contract.

Eligible for T&T through his father who was born in Trinidad and Tobago, Phillips has already expressed a keen interest in representing this country. He showed up at Wrexham in March to witness this country’s international friendly with Wales and met with members of the T&T contingent after the 1-0 defeat.

His father David Roger Edward Phillips was born in Port of Spain while his mother Leonora was born in Bristol before moving to Trinidad at age 3 where she resided until age 33. Phillips is also the cousin of former T&T defender Ian Cox who was a member of the 2006 World Cup squad. His grandfather of the late Captain Archilus Phillips of the Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force.

“I’m excited to get the opportunity to play international football and get the international experience,” Phillips told TTFA Media. “To get the chance to test myself at the international level is something I’m looking forward to,” he added.

Phillips is described by Watford as “ A central midfield player who joined the club as an Under-14,  Phillips is very comfortable on the ball and has good technique. He breaks lines in possession very well, creating attacking opportunities for the team.”

Send him for ah drug test !

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 08:32:18 PM »
Why Sam?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 08:00:17 AM »
TTFA Media

SCORES HIS FIRST GOAL ON LOAN

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TcHtuRVVUts" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TcHtuRVVUts</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 08:24:57 AM »
Watford could do with that goal right now!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 11:46:03 AM »
Daniel Phillips is a beast...

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 12:41:57 AM »
Daniel Phillips is a beast...

Any highlights?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 11:56:05 AM »
daniel phillps got a call up ...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 03:33:15 PM by Trini _2022 »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 12:15:03 PM »
danile phillps got a call up ...
Would you happen to know why he hasn't been even on Watford bench since Jan'9th ? Was he injured ?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2021, 12:37:27 PM »
Who is he ?

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 03:01:55 PM »
Would you happen to know why he hasn't been even on Watford bench since Jan'9th ? Was he injured ?
Did see that on YouTube?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2021, 12:41:17 PM »
Did see that on YouTube?

https://www.guardian.co.tt/sports/phillips-over-the-moon-with-soca-warriors-callup-6.2.1298367.224f61a875

Young midfielder Dan Phillips is “over the moon” at being called up by T&T for the first time.

The 20-year-old powerhouse has been named in the provisional squad by coach Terry Fenwick in preparation for the World Cup qualifiers later this month against Guyana and Puerto Rico.

Phillips will find out on Friday (March 12) if he has made the 21-man squad for the back-to-back matches. His involvement is likely to depend on his recovery from a hamstring injury that has kept him out for two months.

However, his selection is a reflection of his progress and recognition of his regular involvement with the first-team this season. He started both of the Carabao Cup ties and came on as a substitute in games against Middlesbrough, Preston and, most significantly, in the FA Cup third-round tie against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

“I'm over the moon,” said Phillips, who was born in Enfield to parents from T&T. “I'm really, really excited. I wasn't expecting it, but it shows you that what you are doing with your club doesn't go unnoticed. It's a big honour.”

T&T reached the World Cup finals for the first and only time in 2006 and are now trying to qualify from a CONCACAF group that includes Saint Kitts & Nevis, Guyana, Puerto Rico and Bahamas.

“This is the biggest competition in football so these are massive games for the country,” said Phillips. “My parents were both born in Trinidad so they are so proud. I'm really proud of my roots and although I haven't been over for a while, I'm very much in touch with my family there.

"They are so excited for me and I can't wait to make them proud if I get selected. I've spoken to the coach and he is eager to get me over and into the group. I've always dreamed of playing international football, so this is another big step in my career.”

(www.watfordfc.com)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Phillips Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2021, 02:00:33 PM »
WATCH: Watford FC midfielder Daniel Phillips keen to start his international career with Trinidad and Tobago

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sl3t9yqj50w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sl3t9yqj50w</a>

Watford's Phillips keen to add value to T&T on international stage.
TTFA Media.

Senior Men’s National Team Head Coach Terry Fenwick welcomed Watford midfielder Daniel Phillips into the camp as he trained for the first time on Friday at the Pan American Stadium. Also joining was English-based midfielder Andre Boucaud.

Phillips said he was keen to wear the T&T shirt and is hoping to make a key contribution to the team’s efforts.

“It’s been a long time coming and I’m just really happy to finally be here. Everyone’s welcomed me very well and I’m just happy to get to work. My dad was born and raised in Trinidad as well as my grandparents and I’ve visited the country already.

My ambition is to go to the highest stage possible so playing for Trinidad and Tobago in the World Cup qualifiers is a big deal,” Phillips told TTFA Media on Saturday.

“I want to play in the hardest, most important games straight away. I’m hoping to just bring a level of quality and just push everyone else and they will push me as well. Based of the first session on Friday, I was really impressed. Everyone gets on really well. It was really a high intensity from the start to the finish and I thought that was really impressive,” the 20-year-old added.

Meanwhile, a training match which was tentatively scheduled for Saturday morning between this country’s Senior National Men’s Team and local Dominican Republic club Atletico Pantoja, was cancelled in the best interest of the members of the contingent, due to a breach in the standard Covid-19 Protocols.

The match, which was arranged to be played at the club’s home base, was abandoned on the advice of T&T team doctor Akash Dhanai, after a thorough assessment of the Covid-19 tests undergone by the Pantoja players was determined to fall short of the TTFA’s and FIFA’s medical standards.

In this regard, the decision was taken to cancel the match to ensure that the safety of T&T players and staff would not have been compromised ahead of next Thursday’s Concacaf World Cup qualifier against Guyana. All members of the T&T team have been following strict Covid-19 regulations in keeping with FIFA and Concacaf’s International Match Protocols since the commencement of a bio-secure bubble at the Home of Football in Couva on March 16th.

Head Coach Fenwick and his staff later conducted a training session with the team in the afternoon period.
In related news, it has been confirmed that there will be no spectators at Thursday’s World Cup qualifier at the Pan American Stadium and the same will apply to the qualifier hosted by Puerto Rico in that country on March 28th in keeping with the Covid-19 risk mitigation.

Watch Daniel Phillips keen to start international career with T&T

« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 05:15:10 PM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2021, 10:24:22 AM »
Dumb move at such a young age. Should have come along when he was a little more established and had more power. Those clubs hate when an english born player choose to play for another country as they see it as lowering their value. Especially if that country isn't highly rated.

Hope he isn't victimised for this decision.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2021, 02:32:31 PM »
Dumb move at such a young age. Should have come along when he was a little more established and had more power. Those clubs hate when an english born player choose to play for another country as they see it as lowering their value. Especially if that country isn't highly rated.

yup very true

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2021, 10:54:53 PM »

yup very true

Maybe true. Football is about making decisions. Damn if you do, damn if you don't. Is he ever going to make England ? Was Birchall ever victimised for his decision to play for TT. We have asked some foreign born to play for us in the past,  and the very good ones have always held out. So I pray that this guy shines in all his games and bring up his financial value. Forward youth man. God Bless.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:19:08 AM by Deeks »

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2021, 04:32:08 AM »

It's the player's prerogative - I could only surmise as to the politics of playing or even getting an opportunity  to represent England .As someone else mentioned, there have been overtures to well established foreign players who were deemed as greater possibility to represent a foreign country, yet they held out form the TnT invite and still were not given an opportunity it's to represent the country of birth.

I don't believe that those who saw an opportunity and took the chance to represent TnT were ever " victimized" - that is speculative and unwarranted.

I could see  potentially one backlash if a player  turned down an invite to play for his country of birth and chose TnT instead -  however I don't know of any such situation where that may have occurred.
Kudos to the young man for contributing to his ancestral homeland.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2021, 09:36:36 AM »

yup very true

Maybe true. Football is about making decisions. Damn if you do, damn if you don't. Is he ever going to make England ? Was Birchall ever victimised for his decision to play for TT. We have asked some foreign born to play for us in the past,  and the very good ones have always held out. So I pray that this guy shines in all his games and bring up his financial value. Forward youth man. God Bless.

I'm speaking more from the position of his age. Being this young, there's the possibility that 3 years from now he could have been an English player. Just think about where Jamie Vardy went within a couple of years. An english club would have always had that possibility in mind when either acquiring him or even nurturing him. That would have resulted in more attention and resources being placed on this player vs a foreign player. It's as simple as that. His value would have been tied to the fact that he's "english".

I just think maybe he could have come along when he was more established. It's probably more difficult to victimise and exclude an establised footballer than a young impressionable one. At this age, his future really is in the hands of his club.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 10:15:47 AM by congo »

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2021, 10:13:39 AM »

It's the player's prerogative - I could only surmise as to the politics of playing or even getting an opportunity  to represent England .As someone else mentioned, there have been overtures to well established foreign players who were deemed as greater possibility to represent a foreign country, yet they held out form the TnT invite and still were not given an opportunity it's to represent the country of birth.

I don't believe that those who saw an opportunity and took the chance to represent TnT were ever " victimized" - that is speculative and unwarranted.

I could see  potentially one backlash if a player  turned down an invite to play for his country of birth and chose TnT instead -  however I don't know of any such situation where that may have occurred.

It's not about "politics". As an english born player he would have been viewed as a "potential" english player that would have figured in any contract offers and negotiations. Not sure what his contract situation is but it's showing online that he only signed to Watford for a year. Unless he has a monster season and is a spectacular player there is now even less incentive for the club to further keep him now that he is no longer a future english prospect.

If I remember correctly, Birchall was ridiculed by people at his club for playing for TT. Not sure if any victimisation took place as he moved clubs after the world cup if I'm not mistaken.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2021, 10:36:06 AM »

yup very true

I'm speaking more from the position of his age. Being this young, there's the possibility that 3 years from now he could have been an English player. Just think about where Jamie Vardy went within a couple of years. An english club would have always had that possibility in mind when either acquiring him or even nurturing him. That would have resulted in more attention and resources being placed on this player vs a foreign player. It's as simple as that. His value would have been tied to the fact that he's "english".

I just think maybe he could have come along when he was more established. It's probably more difficult to victimise and exclude an establised footballer than a young impressionable one. At this age, his future really is in the hands of his club.
Nah man. His future is decided by He and his God. It's in his hands. There are 100's of players who play for clubs(all over the world) and represent other countries. Family,(real) friends, Health and injuries sometimes direct decisions. He get an opportunity to fulfill one of his dreams, probably instigated by the home he was raised in. He barely makes Watford 1st team - regardless of injury. Many greater and well known English players, especially black, have not been selected Nationaly historically, for one reason or another.
He could be injured tomorrow, neither club nor injury will determine his life . Neither Football nor money should determine who you are or who you wish to be.  If his game improves, is injury free and they choose to victimize him, is it his or their loss ? I already got the impression the the club already proud of him, as he, his family, friends and us are.

https://people.com/sports/former-nfl-player-turned-doctor-is-now-on-the-frontlines-fighting-coronavirus/

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2021, 10:56:13 AM »

yup very true

Marlon King mention that in an interview . he was suppose to play for Rep of Ireland ....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLcy4moDEpo&t=5328s  go to minute 17:26 of this interview ....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2021, 01:43:44 PM »

It's not about "politics". As an english born player he would have been viewed as a "potential" english player that would have figured in any contract offers and negotiations. Not sure what his contract situation is but it's showing online that he only signed to Watford for a year. Unless he has a monster season and is a spectacular player there is now even less incentive for the club to further keep him now that he is no longer a future english prospect.

If I remember correctly, Birchall was ridiculed by people at his club for playing for TT. Not sure if any victimisation took place as he moved clubs after the world cup if I'm not mistaken.

Congo, cool! But I see it a bit differently. Here You are saying that the player, especially a YOUNG English born, should hold back to see if he can make England. Okay. I see your point. But later on when he is about 26 thru 30, he sees he has no prospect for making England, he should tell the parents country he is ready to play for for them. In JA's case that is working out fine. It don't work out so for Trini. The UK JA population is huge and it appears these players parents encourage them to play football. TT UK talent is miniscule and I have no idea how TT parents engage their children's sporting choices or activities. But this can go both ways. It can bad decision or his part(especially knowing TTFA history). Or it can be a great thing for him. He shines for the national team and we go thru to the next round. I am praying for the latter. Let the the coin fall where it may(heads or tail). You can't have it both ways.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2021, 06:17:11 AM »
T&T footballer Daniel Phillips's English club Watford to play in English Premiership.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

T&T footballer Daniel Phillips may feature in the English Premiership next season after his Watford FC earned promotion to the top flight after a 1-0 win over Millwall in the Championship Division, on Saturday.

Phillips was not in the Watford squad for Saturday's match.

Phillips, who made his debut for T&T against Guyana on March 25 in a FIFA World Cup qualifying match, will become the first T&T international to play in the Premiership since former T&T striker Kenwyne Jones.

Phillips also played for T&T against Puerto Rico on March 28.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2021, 07:38:47 AM »
POW !!!!! POW!!!!!!! POW!!!!!!POW!!!!!!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2021, 07:52:07 AM »
T&T footballer Daniel Phillips's English club Watford to play in English Premiership.

T&T footballer Daniel Phillips may feature in the English Premiership next season after his Watford FC earned promotion to the top flight after a 1-0 win over Millwall in the Championship Division, on Saturday.

Phillips, who made his debut for T&T against Guyana on March 25 in a FIFA World Cup qualifying match, will become the first T&T international to play in the Premiership since former T&T striker Kenwyne Jones.

will or would?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2021, 08:04:35 AM »

will or would?

Does it matter? Unless they trade him. I am so happy for him.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2021, 08:17:27 AM »
But not even making the bench. He must be hurt again, cause imo he not that bad.

1]; } ?>