March 28, 2024, 05:54:11 PM

Author Topic: Thread for T&T vs Guyana Game (25-Mar-2021)  (Read 26254 times)

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for T&T vs Guyana Game (25-Mar-2021)
« Reply #270 on: March 26, 2021, 04:46:51 AM »
A clean sheet...wow...bravo...warriors

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 26, 2021, 05:01:21 AM »
WATCH: Post-match reaction by Levi Garcia following Trinidad and Tobago's 3-0 victory over Guyana in the World Cup qualifier played in San Cristóbal, Dominican Republic on March 25, 2021. Garcia notched the opening goal.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/VOSPUJKjlbs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/VOSPUJKjlbs</a>

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 26, 2021, 06:30:50 AM »
Meanwhile Curacao looking the team to beat but is "only SVG" dooooo yeah
I pity the fool....

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 26, 2021, 08:06:35 AM »
Good job Warriors, nice to get a clean sheet BUT don't get complacent we still need to improve. I hope Hyland is fine, that injury looked worrying. 
Also I would like to see Fenderup not play the fool with the ball like that one time.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 26, 2021, 08:26:09 AM »
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/lyv5ZM9xj98" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/lyv5ZM9xj98</a>

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 26, 2021, 08:34:55 AM »
Style is one thing, this strange version of qualification requires results.

3 goals
Clean sheet

I'll take that result and on to the next. Ideal start and ideal opponent to kick off, Guyana was poor especially in that first half which we took advantage of. Let's see what the PR game brings.

Results in itself will build confidence and belief, we just need to get out of this group. If we keep the nucleus of this squad playing the cohesiveness will get better as the opposition gets more difficult.

It won't be easy but its a start.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 26, 2021, 09:06:53 AM »
Style is one thing, this strange version of qualification requires results.

3 goals
Clean sheet

I'll take that result and on to the next. Ideal start and ideal opponent to kick off, Guyana was poor especially in that first half which we took advantage of. Let's see what the PR game brings.

Results in itself will build confidence and belief, we just need to get out of this group. If we keep the nucleus of this squad playing the cohesiveness will get better as the opposition gets more difficult.

It won't be easy but its a start.
I agree. There is just too much criticism for a team just trying to get together and getting a win. It was a good start and a confidence builder. Hopefully, as the team continues t play together they develop better chemistry and cohesion. But we cannot be too critical given the past year. Adding Molino when he is healthy would certainly help. Also, very optimistic about the younger players who got opportunities - Powder, Judah Garcia, Daniel Phillips, and Poon-Angeroon. With experience playing together and facing increasingly better teams, they will only get better. I will always support my team win or lose.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 26, 2021, 09:33:48 AM »
TF, please sort out that penalty taking situation now. Thanks

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 26, 2021, 10:28:03 AM »
One of the things I found very cool. Frenderup play was exactly as his highlights reel. Thanks for any possible nod, Kelvin.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 26, 2021, 10:58:52 AM »
One of the things I found very cool. Frenderup play was exactly as his highlights reel. Thanks for any possible nod, Kelvin.

IMO, he is our best option. He should be our No.1 while we mentor Denzil Smith for the future.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #281 on: March 26, 2021, 11:32:49 AM »
Garcia: Nothing more positive than winning start.
By Nigel Simon (T&T Guardian).

European-based T&T senior men’s football team winger, Levi Garcia said there is nothing more positive than the 3-0 win over Guyana in their 2022 Concacaf World Cup Qualifiers on Thursday night.

Playing at the Pan American Stadium, San Cristobal,  Dominican Republic, the 23-year-old Garcia scored for only the second match in 28 matches in national senior team colours to open the scoring against the Guyanese “Golden Jaguars” with a lovely individual goal, squeezing past the defenders and the end line and then firing home in the seventh minute.

It was his first goal since a double on debut against St Vincent and The Grenadines on March 25, 2016, exactly five years ago to the date, in a 3-2 win also in World Cup qualification.

A free-kick from Ryan Telfer deflected off centre-back Sheldon Bateau’s thigh and into the goal in the 15th minute to extend the Soca Warriors lead.

Joevin Jones then failed to extend the lead from the penalty spot and was twice denied on the rebound as well before an alert Telfer pounced on an error from Guyana goalkeeper Akel Clarke in the 44th minute, with the goalkeeper fumbling an attempt to collect and Telfer able to finish into the open net.

Speaking to T&T Football Association (TTFA) Media after the match, Garcia, who has netted four goals for AEK Athens in the Greek League this season, since his move from Israel’s Beitar Jerusalem at the start of the year, said he was pleased with the result.

“I’m happy for the team, the fans back home and as I said before we wanted a positive start and there is nothing more positive than this result.

“I’m also really happy to get a goal and there is nothing bad about that as well.

He added, “Personally, coming from such a long flight to get to the Dominican Republic was pretty difficult, to begin with, but hopefully I will be able to fully recover for the next game, but otherwise I’m grateful for the score today (Thursday).

Concerning the administrative problems which have been plaguing local football for the past 12 months, which resulted in a Normalisation Committee being installed, Garcia who also played in Holland with AZ Alkmaar, Jong AZ and Excelsior said, “We are all professionals and with all the negative around, we tried our best to be positive.

“It was a difficult task at hand but we took it as men and we went out and executed.

Asked how pleased he was about his performance, the nippy left-footed Garcia added, “I feel good about myself as my game is to take on players and I’m really happy I was able to do it.

Despite it being the team’s first match in the campaign and only the second with coach Terry Fenwick, Garcia said the team gelled well.

“Overall, as a team the communication among the guys was great, we had a plan and it was well executed I think.

“Everyone was together, we stayed focus and did our jobs.

Looking ahead to Sunday’s second match against Puerto Rico, who was edged out 1-0 by St Kitts and Nevis in their opener on Wednesday also in the Dominican Republic, Garcia said he was hoping for more of the same.

“We got the positive start and hopefully we can continue like this, stay focus and stay as professionals and do our jobs."

Watch Garcia: We want to keep the momentum.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 26, 2021, 11:37:35 AM »
WATCH: Post-match comments by Trinidad and Tobago senior MNT coach Terry Fenwick following a 3-0 victory over Guyana in the opening World Cup qualifier played in San Cristóbal, Dominican Republic on March 25, 2021.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/6sXswn5lgtU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/6sXswn5lgtU</a>

To much my players my players my players omg Terry  btw terry is saying the passing and movement  was excellent and football pundits in trinidad saying we did not control the game  and our passing dicipline  was off in the second half.... :-\ :-\
« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 11:41:26 AM by Trini _2022 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 26, 2021, 11:49:36 AM »
Anybody who saw de game could give ah Touches game report on the game and each player go be appreciated?

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 26, 2021, 12:02:20 PM »
Mr. Fenwick by now you should be saying, Back home instead of back in Trinidad.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 26, 2021, 01:34:17 PM »
My pardner back says, every team has had problems due to covide. He said all the games show a lack of match practice. But irony enough TT may have an edge on the other teams because they did practice more than the teams in their group and also got a walloping from the US in the game in Florida last couple weeks ago. So TT appears psychologically more prepared than Guyana. I don't think Guyana played a practice match. He said Guyana looked rusty, especially with their lineup of English and Canadian players.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 11:05:40 PM by Deeks »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2021, 02:56:12 AM »
WATCH: Belgium-based defender Bateau says T&T aimed to start ruthlessly against Guyana. Notes that the players enjoyed the match.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/ucuuBlvx14k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/ucuuBlvx14k</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 27, 2021, 08:35:28 AM »
Looking at the highlights . Guyana must be kicking Dey self for dem 3 goals. Give ways, even if TT worked for them. I feel they will do we some favours if we handle our end.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 27, 2021, 10:12:11 AM »
WATCH: SportsMax's review of the T&T-Guyana outing. Tangential mention of Tom Saintfiet's progression of Gambia to the next phase of World Cup qualification. Discussion of St. Lucia's non-participation in World Cup qualifying and of the insufficiency of St. Lucia football federation president Lyndon Cooper's response to the matter.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/gm9d_x9e9qE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/gm9d_x9e9qE</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #290 on: March 28, 2021, 01:22:52 AM »
Grateful for win, but coaches want structure in attack, defence
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

"Grateful for the win but concerned about the poor approaches to the team's attack and defence" is how coaches Ron La Forest and Shawn Cooper summarised Thursday's 3-0 win for the T&T Soca Warriors over Guyana in their opening World Cup Qualifying match in the Dominican Republic.

The strength of the Guyana team did nothing to warrant coach Terry Fenwick to describe the performance as excellent, the duo believes.

The Guyanese last held the Soca Warriors to a 1-1 tie in the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the USA in 2019, but under Brazilian coach Marcio Maximo, the Guyanese have been in a period of development and transition.

The coaches, La Forest and Cooper, both former national coaches at different levels, have said the performance and strength of the Guyana team made it difficult, or near impossible to point out the flaws of the T&T team.

"There was no structure in the attack moving forward as a unit, neither was there any organised approach in defence. The team which comprises mostly of the country's overseas-based players attacked the Guyanese constantly but it was all due to individual play. We had a lower line of concentration, yet there was a large space between defender Aubrey David and his defence, but the Guyanese didn't have what it took to exploit it," Cooper explained to Guardian Media Sports on Saturday, a day before the team goes into action against Puerto Rico in its second game of the campaign in Puerto Rico later this evening at 5 pm.

La Forest said he is hoping that the win will help to improve the team's chances in the other games, however, he said the team could find itself in a difficult position against quality opposition if there is no organise approach to attack and defence in the campaign.

The win pushed the T&T team to the top of Group F, with St Kitts/Nevis earning a 1-0 win over Puerto Rico on Wednesday night, and the Bahamas was expected to open their account against St Kitts/Nevis on Saturday.

Only the winner of the group will advance to the second round of the qualifiers, where they will square-off with the winner of Group A, comprising El Salvador, Montserrat, Antigua/Barbuda, US Virgin Islands and Grenada.

Both coaches are expecting the T&T team to progress to the second round but believe more has to be done in attack as it will get progressively tougher going forward. Fenwick will have the entire team that represented the country against Guyana to select from for Sunday's match.

RELATED NEWS

Sancho: Much to be done against Puerto Rico.
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday).

WHILE PLEASED with T&T’s 3-0 win over Guyana in their opening 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup qualifier, former national footballer Brent Sancho believes there’s still much to be done in preparation for the bigger competitive challenges which lie ahead.

On Thursday, T&T eased past Guyana 3-0 in their Concacaf Zone Group F qualifier at the Estadio Panamericano, San Cristobal, Dominican Republic.

First half goals from in-form midfielder Levi Garcia (eighth), defender Sheldon Bateau (15th) and striker Ryan Telfer (44th) separated the two nations and earned T&T three precious points in their opening first round fixture.

Sancho welcomed the squad’s improved performance which came on the heels of a 7-0 drubbing at the hands of USA, on January 31 – T&T’s first official international friendly in over a year, owing to the covid19 pandemic.

“It was a good result and a good start to the campaign. I was a bit surprised how poor the Guyanese team was seeing that they’ve been quite a challenge for us throughout the years.

“Taking everything into consideration, there’s still a lot of work to be done. All of the teams in Concacaf that I’ve looked at seem a bit rusty and lack fluidity.

“It’s expected because no one in the Concacaf region outside of USA, Mexico and maybe Costa Rica have played friendlies leading up to this. So we would expect the rust what we’ve seen.

“There are things I think we can do better as it relates to building out of the back (defence) and game control,” said the defender, who was part of the T&T team at the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany.

Sancho thinks the team needs to find ways to become more fluid and dominating on the pitch. The Central FC owner said that it’s still hard to come to terms with the fact that, in 2021, and leading up to the Guyana game, T&T weighed doubts on whether they could have pulled off a victory.

According to him, T&T usually brushes past Caribbean teams at this phase of the tournament in preparation for tougher opposition in the latter rounds.

“It shows you how far off we have dropped and shows you the kind of work still that needs to be put in place.

“I think a lot of the off-the-field issues did not help and it would have added to the pressure which would have fell on the shoulders of the players heading into this one.

“When we went 3-0 up, I thought we would have come out in the second half and really dominate and press home the advantage.

“I think we struggled in the second period but getting the result was more important. Guyana gifted us the result, in the way they played, because two of the goals were given to us,” he added.

Sancho, however, lauded Garcia’s ability to confidently run at defenders and create goal scoring opportunities.

The former Sports Minister called on Garcia to maintain consistency in his game if he wants to reach his fullest potential.

“I felt the younger players on the night were the ones who impressed, in particularly Levi. I think he has reached a stage in his international career that he now has to put in more consistent performances.

“He is probably playing at the highest level of any T&T player and it showed in his performance last night.

“The thing is, like players of that expectation, whether a Stern John or Russell Latapy, those players that they expect to deliver, Levi has to fall into that mode of delivery like they did.

“I think that’s where he’s at now. I was happy with his performance last night. I would like to see it all the time. He has to be a consistent performer for the national team,” Sancho said.

Meanwhile T&T face Puerto Rico in their second qualifier match, at home at the Mayaguez Athletics Stadium, on Sunday. They will, however, play on an artificial turf as compared to a grassy surface.

Sancho called for increased sharpness and, like the Guyana game, believes and early opening goal from T&T would serve as a good mental advantage for the Terry Fenwick-coached team, playing away from home.

“I do think it is one of those games that we need to focus on and ensure there are no errors. I think the early goal against Guyana helped settle the nerves. If we can get an early goal against Puerto Rico, I think it will put us on the right pathway to get three points.

“The only thing that worried me was that the second half performance (against Guyana) was poor. Normally when you’re playing these kind of games in quick succession, your second half of your first game sets you up for the second game.

“Because that’s the momentum you take into the second game. So I’m a bit concerned that was not there going into this game, which I think would a tough game in Puerto Rico.”

Soca Warrior cleared to play after 2nd negative covid19 test.

THE national senior team footballer, who tested positive for covid19 two days before T&T’s opening FIFA World Cup qualifier against Guyana, has since returned two negative PCR tests and will feature in Terry Fenwick’s 23-man line up for Sunday’s 5 pm clash against Puerto Rico.

On the eve of T&T’s 3-0 victory against the South American team, on Thursday, the TT Football Association (TTFA) issued a statement confirming a positive covid19 result from a national player. His identity was kept confidential.

Following Concacaf’s Return to Play protocol, the player was immediately isolated. While awaiting his second test, which eventually returned a negative result, contact tracing was done and all primary contacts quarantined.

However, the mandate states if the player returned two negative test results, the individual would be able to continue training and playing with the team. On Friday, the national athlete did just that and was included in the team for Sunday’s second first-round qualifier.

With this player boost, T&T are focusing on maintaining a winning momentum. Three first-half goals from midfielder Levi Garcia, defender Sheldon Bateau and forward Ryan Telfer were good enough to keep their opponents at bay.

The revamped squad return to action at the Mayaguez Stadium in Puerto Rico and are expected to face a tougher challenge against the hosts.

However, after Thursday’s win, flanker Noah Powder returned to his Major League Soccer outfit Real Salt Lake for treatment on a knock he sustained before the T&T camp. He will not feature in Sunday’s clash.

Additionally, Bateau is hoping to make Fenwick’s starting XI as he suffered a muscle strain in the opening period of the Guyana game.

Puerto Rico, on the other hand, have welcomed one of the United States League (USL) Championship’s top teen attackers, Alec Diaz, to their front line. The 19-year-old scored six goals and assisted twice in 855 minutes of play last season. This year, he’s a candidate to break into the Seattle Sounders’ attack for the coming season.

In their two prior friendlies against Guatemala and Dominican Republic leading up to the World Cup qualifiers, Diaz started both friendlies and played 143 minutes in total.

After Sunday’s duel, T&T have just over three months to prepare for their next FIFA World Cup qualifier. The squad returns on June 5 to play Bahamas and complete their first-round campaign, three days later, against St Kitts and Nevis.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 01:27:16 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 31, 2021, 01:43:30 PM »
REVIEW: Trinidad and Tobago vs Guyana

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mWxUsPb8pTg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mWxUsPb8pTg</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>