April 26, 2024, 06:31:25 PM

Author Topic: Raheem Belgrave on trial at Wrexham  (Read 4643 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Raheem Belgrave on trial at Wrexham
« on: July 09, 2014, 05:10:27 PM »
Former T&T U-17 and St. Mary’s College goalkeeper, Raheem “Birdie” Belgrave, is currently on trial at Welsh club, Wrexham AFC. Wrexham has a long association with T&T players, with the likes of Carlos Edwards, Dennis Lawrence, Hector Sam, Marvin Andrews, Silvio Spann, and Josh Johnson all having played for the club.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Raheem Belgrave on trial at Wrexham
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 05:36:37 AM »
Former T&T U-17 and St. Mary’s College goalkeeper, Raheem “Birdie” Belgrave, is currently on trial at Welsh club, Wrexham AFC. Wrexham has a long association with T&T players, with the likes of Carlos Edwards, Dennis Lawrence, Hector Sam, Marvin Andrews, Silvio Spann, and Josh Johnson all having played for the club.

Intersting - how'd he secure that? I see he was at SKHY before too, good for them :)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:22:47 AM by Tiresais »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 08:58:28 AM »

Intersting - how'd he secure that? I see he was at SKHY before too, good for them :)

secure, you say secure !!!!!

He secure a trial not a contract.

Holy f00cking moly.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 09:05:52 AM »

He secure a trial

And the question was how?

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 09:06:24 AM »

secure, you say secure !!!!!

He secure a trial not a contract.

Holy f00cking moly.

I didn't imply he secured a contract... Sam your gun is shooting too early, you best get it checked  ;D

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 09:42:47 AM »
 :rotfl:  lawd have mercy, good luck Raheem, wonder if he has a big radio...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 09:53:09 AM »
Yea, my point is, it eh no big deal to secure a contract, you acting like, how he secure that.

Nigel Pierre went on about 30 trials.

Once you have de money and a decent agent, you could trial in Pluto if yuh want.

This reply eh have nothing to do with de youth eh, ah never see him play, so good luck, ah know man will try to take this out of context.

Contro, for example.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 12:45:14 PM »
Yea, my point is, it eh no big deal to secure a contract, you acting like, how he secure that.

Once you have de money and a decent agent, you could trial in Pluto if yuh want.

This reply eh have nothing to do with de youth eh, ah never see him play, so good luck, ah know man will try to take this out of context.

Contro, for example.

I think the real issue is why would he be offered a trial for a UK club now? Given the fact that T&T nationals would have problems obtaining work permits due to our rankings etc... Does he have ties in the UK?

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 04:13:13 PM »

Contro, for example.

No I asked how he got on the trial - what route did he use? Caledonian men working through a specific Finnish agency (as are the other Caribs in the country) and others have gone through their manager, friends, family, or just got on a plane and done the legwork themselves. Knowing the route might help out others we think can do well on a trial :)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 06:02:22 PM »

Contro, for example.

I think the real issue is why would he be offered a trial for a UK club now? Given the fact that T&T nationals would have problems obtaining work permits due to our rankings etc... Does he have ties in the UK?

Lower division clubs in the UK qualification for foreign players are a little less strict than the SPL and EPL.

They sign Josh Johnson and he never played for T&T.

And I don't even think Hector Sam and Carlos Edward had the T&T caps to sign at the time either.

Wales might be more easier.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 09:55:06 PM »
Work permit is an immigration issue. They don't care whether you are coming to play in EPL or Sunday league, same rules apply. I'm guessing Belgrave also has Uk citizenship or some other form of european ties. I wish him good luck.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 10:32:45 PM »

Contro, for example.

Lower division clubs in the UK qualification for foreign players are a little less strict than the SPL and EPL.

They sign Josh Johnson and he never played for T&T.

And I don't even think Hector Sam and Carlos Edward had the T&T caps to sign at the time either.

Wales might be more easier.

I think the same rules apply to the whole of the UK, regardless of which league the club is in. Hector & Carlos were from a different era with different rules. It will be interesting if he can get a work permit as it may be a new route for T&T players.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 10:46:42 AM »
Yup the legislation applies across the country (unless some part of the country could claim a labour shortage, which is unlikely in professional football). The laws were more lax in the past, but they're very strict now. Kenwyne would have still got in (if you're under the age of 18 there are different conditions I think, and being a talented youngster is grounds for appeal).

Basically, it's an automatic rejection if you haven't played for the National team for a set period (and that NT is in the top 70). I'd say a large proportion of players get in on appeal, whereby the specific grounds of potential can be used, or exceptional talent. Sanchez qualifies because he's played so much for his NT, for example.

I think it's supposed to work on a points system like the rest, can't remember not looked at it in a while.

Offline loyalist

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 11:02:32 AM »
Josh Johnson did play for T&T. He actually has 4 caps.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 11:20:18 AM »
I think he also played for U20/23 in international tournaments, which would have been a big bonus for getting the permit

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 11:41:14 AM »

But his last cap came about 4 years before his contract with Wrexham, so that would have not helped his cause. He actually got his work permit because his wife had a British passport.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 11:45:02 AM »

But his last cap came about 4 years before his contract with Wrexham, so that would have not helped his cause. He actually got his work permit because his wife had a British passport.

Well now we have our secret weapon! Although they've change it recently :( (been looking it up for myself) - the Brit has to be earning a wage above 20k in order to bring their non-British partner

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 05:04:06 AM »

btw does he still play football ?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 10:27:58 AM »
Belgrave... i watched him for a full Intercol season for CIC... and was very impressed then...lost track of him
also..he is the son of the TnT manager David Muhammed...

i hope something works out...as its no secret we short in that dept
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2014, 04:47:04 AM »
Did he get a contract?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 10:10:40 AM »
Ah hear they did not sign him.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2014, 04:37:35 PM »
Did he get a contract?

No, he now plays for San Juan Jabloteh.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Queen's Park mourns loss of two club footballers
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2022, 01:17:11 PM »
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

TWO members of the Queen’s Park Football Club (QPFC) football fraternity died on Sunday.

The club’s former goalkeeper Raheem “Birdie” Belgrave, 29, drowned at Paria Falls during the day while defender/midfielder Ackime Prudhomme, 24, was gunned down in Arouca hours later.

The pair played on the same QPCC football team. Belgrave was also a member of the T&T Under-17 football squad from 2008-2009 under then-head coach Anton Corneal. He was the son of ex-national senior team manager David Muhammad.

He also joined English football club Wembley FC in 2018.

Prudhomme, however, never made it to the national level but showed promise during his years at QPFC. Belgrave was a former student of Malick Secondary while Prudhomme graduated from St Mary’s College.

Muhammed could not be reached by phone on Monday.

Both deaths sent the QPFC fraternity into mourning. After receiving confirmation of both deaths on Sunday, the club posted short memorials of the two talented players to  its Facebook page.

“A sad day for the footballing community and the QPFC family as the loss of two teammates hasn’t fully registered.

“Today (Sunday), along with losing our brother Ackime as mentioned in the previous post, we lost our former goalkeeper Raheem Belgrave.

“The former CIC standout, popularly known as ‘Birdie’ passed away earlier today due to an unfortunate incident in Paria earlier today, where he sadly drowned.

“Raheem was talented and focused but humble as ever and was also a coach at his boyhood club SKHY FC. He left these shores a few years ago and was playing in the UK with Wembley FC for the last few seasons.

“As mentioned in our last post, his former teammate (Prudhomme) also lost his life earlier today. Our brothers will be missed. We wish their family and friends our deepest condolences at this time.”

The club’s previous post highlighted some of Prudhomme’s exploits, at and outside of club duty.

“While still in shock, we remember the joyful and enthusiastic persona that Ackime brought to the squad for the last few years. He was one of the youngest members in the team and was hungry to make his mark every day.

“Ackime was a budding, young entrepreneur with his landscaping business as well. His energy within the team will be missed when we return (to play). Fly high youth! On to better places! R.I.P. Pruddy,” it read.

Additionally, SKHY FC also released a statement on Belgrave’s passing.

He joined the club at a young age while attending St Xavier’s Private School in St Joseph. Belgrave was deemed a “son to the directors and management team of the club, a brother and friend to his colleagues and a mentor to many of the younger members who were fortunate to be coached by him.”

The club’s tribute read, “At a very young age he showed talent and potential and became one of our long-standing members. Raheem was respectful and hardworking. He represented SKHY at all local competitions (junior and senior) as well as at several tournaments overseas.

“After leaving high school, he furthered his education at university and returned to SKHY as part of the senior team and the coaching staff. Raheem was in every sense a valued member of SKHY.

“We will all miss him dearly. A piece of the fabric of SKHY will forever be missing. This has been a trying time for those who were closest to him, and for those with whom he had recent conversations with promises to ‘meet up next week.

“RIP Raheem, Soar with the angels.”

The T&T Football Association also sent condolences to Belgrave’s family and thanked them for his contributions to the youth team 12 years ago.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2022, 02:25:54 PM »
Work permit is an immigration issue. They don't care whether you are coming to play in EPL or Sunday league, same rules apply. I'm guessing Belgrave also has Uk citizenship or some other form of european ties. I wish him good luck.
His dad was born in England
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTFA mourns footballer
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2022, 03:30:18 PM »
TTFA mourns footballer
By Alexander Bruzual (T&T Express)

The football fraternity is mourning the death of 29-year-old Raheem Belgrave from Arima.

Belgrave was a member of the Men’s National Under-17 squad in 2008-2009 under then-head coach Anton Corneal.

He was the son of former national team manager David Muhammad.

He lost his life on Sunday morning while bathing in the Paria River, Blanchisseusse.

Police said about 11 a.m. a group of hikers, including Belgrave from Arima, were at the river, when he got into difficulty and disappeared below the water.

Police said when he was eventually pulled out of the water by his friends he was in an ‘unresponsive state’.

His friends brought him out and they went to the Blanchisseusse Police Station where an ambulance was called but he had already died. The police then called in a district medical officer who ordered the body moved to the Port of Spain Mortuary.

On Saturday Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley said rivers were to be opened from yesterday ‘with serious restrictions’, including no alcohol or cooking.

Shaun Fuentes, Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) communications manager, told the Express yesterday he was still trying to come to terms with the news.

“I got a call today from Russell (Latapy) who said he was going through his phone this morning and saw the pictures on WhatsApp and that’s how he found out. He said he couldn’t believe that David’s son was gone like that because he was such an easy-going and talented individual who was always willing to learn more,” Fuentes said.

He recalled that Belgrave had been training since he was 13 years old.

“His dad was the manager of the national team back then so he (Belgrave) was always around and would always come to the national training camps and so forth.

“From even then you could see he had an eye for the game and he took a liking to being a goalkeeper especially. So he would follow them around and stay close to them, learning all he could. Eventually, he got the chance to train with the Under 17 team, and he used that to propel himself forward.

“He went abroad and was always looking for the next level, and looking to see what was next. He was a very driven young man, and he will be missed greatly,” Fuentes said.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2022, 06:35:02 PM »
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

TWO members of the Queen’s Park Football Club (QPFC) football fraternity died on Sunday.

The club’s former goalkeeper Raheem “Birdie” Belgrave, 29, drowned at Paria Falls during the day while defender/midfielder Ackime Prudhomme, 24, was gunned down in Arouca hours later.

The pair played on the same QPCC football team. Belgrave was also a member of the T&T Under-17 football squad from 2008-2009 under then-head coach Anton Corneal. He was the son of ex-national senior team manager David Muhammad.

He also joined English football club Wembley FC in 2018.

Prudhomme, however, never made it to the national level but showed promise during his years at QPFC. Belgrave was a former student of Malick Secondary while Prudhomme graduated from St Mary’s College.

Muhammed could not be reached by phone on Monday.

Both deaths sent the QPFC fraternity into mourning. After receiving confirmation of both deaths on Sunday, the club posted short memorials of the two talented players to  its Facebook page.

“A sad day for the footballing community and the QPFC family as the loss of two teammates hasn’t fully registered.

“Today (Sunday), along with losing our brother Ackime as mentioned in the previous post, we lost our former goalkeeper Raheem Belgrave.

“The former CIC standout, popularly known as ‘Birdie’ passed away earlier today due to an unfortunate incident in Paria earlier today, where he sadly drowned.

“Raheem was talented and focused but humble as ever and was also a coach at his boyhood club SKHY FC. He left these shores a few years ago and was playing in the UK with Wembley FC for the last few seasons.

“As mentioned in our last post, his former teammate (Prudhomme) also lost his life earlier today. Our brothers will be missed. We wish their family and friends our deepest condolences at this time.”

The club’s previous post highlighted some of Prudhomme’s exploits, at and outside of club duty.

“While still in shock, we remember the joyful and enthusiastic persona that Ackime brought to the squad for the last few years. He was one of the youngest members in the team and was hungry to make his mark every day.

“Ackime was a budding, young entrepreneur with his landscaping business as well. His energy within the team will be missed when we return (to play). Fly high youth! On to better places! R.I.P. Pruddy,” it read.

Additionally, SKHY FC also released a statement on Belgrave’s passing.

He joined the club at a young age while attending St Xavier’s Private School in St Joseph. Belgrave was deemed a “son to the directors and management team of the club, a brother and friend to his colleagues and a mentor to many of the younger members who were fortunate to be coached by him.”

The club’s tribute read, “At a very young age he showed talent and potential and became one of our long-standing members. Raheem was respectful and hardworking. He represented SKHY at all local competitions (junior and senior) as well as at several tournaments overseas.

“After leaving high school, he furthered his education at university and returned to SKHY as part of the senior team and the coaching staff. Raheem was in every sense a valued member of SKHY.

“We will all miss him dearly. A piece of the fabric of SKHY will forever be missing. This has been a trying time for those who were closest to him, and for those with whom he had recent conversations with promises to ‘meet up next week.

“RIP Raheem, Soar with the angels.”

The T&T Football Association also sent condolences to Belgrave’s family and thanked them for his contributions to the youth team 12 years ago.

Sloppy.

1]; } ?>