March 28, 2024, 06:13:14 PM

Author Topic: Thread for T&T vs Mexico (10-Jul-2021)  (Read 15526 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Thread for T&T vs Mexico (10-Jul-2021)
« Reply #180 on: July 14, 2021, 12:59:36 AM »
So he decided to park the bus in advance
He play Phillips and mostly defenders and was going for a draw?

We couldn't string together 7 to 10 passes and couldn't dribble out the back but it was pure boom kick and clearing from the back.. we were lucky we were not down 2 or 3 nil tbh

That is not a masterclass, thats cowardly.. purposely playing for a Draw with Mexico is not what I call good football... its like he already did not have confidence to win which sounds like classic eve weak mentality

There was nothing to enjoy about that match where tt was constantly on the back foot from the beginning.. the midfield was non existent

Lemme guess, draw with Mexico and go for wins against the other teams?

Eve just lost my vote of confidence with that BS he pull, I don't care if we drew with Mexico it was bad tactics

Teams play to win tournaments. Points are awarded as follows: Win - 3 points, Draw -1 point. Losses - 0 points. (I am sure you now that)
I don't know you but if you are upset because Eve played to get a point in a game where he was overmatched in quality, talent, and experience, then either you are a mad man, you must think this was a fete match, or you have some personal motive to be a critic of Angus Eve.

Are you telling me that Eve should have played an open game with a traditional 442 or 433 line up and get a 5-0 drubbing?
The result is all that matters, not foolish bravado. Live to fight another day, not how you get there.

442 if used well and executed well can be a very defensive formation tbh.. Even having one drop back behind the target man can also work..

I have absolutely nothing personal against Eve, his tactical decisions is what I'm criticizing... now keep in mind ill give it to him we were under staffed and missing some key players but we also almost paid big time for his unorthodox approach..

It could have easily been two goals to nil for us.. Mexico 🇲🇽 had so many opportunities... I don't think we would have got 5 with the 442, it depends who's the holding mid for example... His non selection of Poon would have fixed that 442 formation for example if he had been selected..

I'm happy we got lucky but do I like what I saw, do I promote that type of football, NO I don't, its not something I support..

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 14, 2021, 04:18:47 AM »
Just now catching up on the range of Mexican commentary regarding the match.  Among the comments: Jared Borgetti criticized Eve for playing antiquated football. Said it is high time, we raise our tactical sophistication.

On a separate note, he also criticized Tata for insisting on playing inverted wingers against an anchored Back 5 and block of 5+.

Borgetti is an advocate of Chicharito and although he acknowledged that Funes Mori did not have a poor match, he implied that Chicharito could have offered more. On the cobtrary, the program host described Chicharito as a cancer to the locker room.

Another commentator (Chelis) flat out stated that if this is what RFM offered then Mexico would be better off bringing in a '9' in development to offer him experience at this level of competition. Tata is open to commentary along this line because he and RFM are both Argentines. Hugo Sanchez typically attacks foreign coaches. Doesn't need any motivating. He was eager to do so in the aftermath.

When pressed Sanchez said he would have deployed 2 Fs with an emphasis on accompanying crosses and incorporating the flank defenders into the attack. However, a separate commentator had previously noted that crosses were not effective because they were a lottery given the defensive posture set by Eve and the evidence of how they were handled. Implicitly, Sanchez was thinking about second ball situations.

On the racism issue: yesterday I viewed a live stream that took place during the match. A stream hosted in Panama from what I gather. Those following the stream were representative of all Central American countries + Mexico. One of the hosts is of African descent.

Someone actually messaged into the stream making a racist comment about our team that they somehow thought the Panamanian man would ignore. He locked that down with a quickness and effectively. But it was interesting to see that the dumbass who sent the comment didn't get that he couldn't refer to T&T players in the manner he did without also implicitly offending the host.

Last comment: we have been competing in CONCACAF for decades but there's is still so much we don't understand about our opponents.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 04:36:07 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 14, 2021, 05:45:35 AM »
I would like to really hear Seekers analysis on this tbh

I understand why you've asserted the position you have. However, it is hard to condemn the loss of two points (theirs).

I understand the reasoning of the choice. Coaches have to be pragmatic and at this stage of Angus' career and ambitions and his task, he reasoned that this choice would be the preferred path. Of course, there are howevers. None matter to the bottom line.

That stated :) ...

However, I was critical of nuanced things I observed as the match progressed during the first half but was pleased that these concerns were mostly addressed as the match unfolded. None proved to be fatal but could have been as these things go.

There was courage and conviction in the coach's decision. There wasn't a lot of time to prepare for the match and the solution he opted for - as painful as it dented your pride - still required a fair amount of preparation and reinforcement.

We played 14 extra minutes of football and it still worked out. Accept it for what it was: result-oriented.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 05:48:34 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #183 on: July 14, 2021, 06:52:36 AM »
Clayton Morris impressed by T&T’s showing against Mexico.
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday).

FORMER STRIKE Squad captain Clayton Morris is impressed by the showing from the national men’s football team against Mexico on Saturday.

Both teams played to a goalless draw in the opening match of the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup, at the AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas, United States.

In a voice message issued on Sunday, Morris said, “It was timely, good and excellent. Timely in the sense that our people in Trinidad and Tobago, due to the covid19 pandemic, have been trapped in our homes. Most of us sports lovers, it gives us the opportunity to look forward to seeing our country, more so in a month of Olympics, where we can support our own team.”

Morris, who is currently the president of the T&T Super League, is looking forward to Wednesday’s Group A match against El Salvador, from 7.30 pm (T&T time), at Toyota Stadium, Frisco, Texas.

“It’s left for us now to put the three aspects of the game, the two parts from the Montserrat game – the creativity in converting six (chances) along with the defensive discipline that we saw (against Mexico).

“Going forward to the next game on Wednesday, this will give us an entire package of how football is supposed to be played,” he added. “Congratulations to Angus Eve and his staff, and I want to wish the team all the best in the two (forthcoming) games.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 14, 2021, 08:19:39 AM »
Notably no comment about the FG match by Clayton Morris.

On a hypothetical level, it would have been interesting to see how FG would have decided to play Mexico. I suspect they would have found a balance between entertaining and practical.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 16, 2021, 06:28:40 AM »
Just now catching up on the range of Mexican commentary regarding the match.  Among the comments: Jared Borgetti criticized Eve for playing antiquated football. Said it is high time, we raise our tactical sophistication.

On a separate note, he also criticized Tata for insisting on playing inverted wingers against an anchored Back 5 and block of 5+.

Borgetti is an advocate of Chicharito and although he acknowledged that Funes Mori did not have a poor match, he implied that Chicharito could have offered more. On the contrary, the program host described Chicharito as a cancer to the locker room.

Another commentator (Chelis) flat out stated that if this is what RFM offered then Mexico would be better off bringing in a '9' in development to offer him experience at this level of competition. Tata is open to commentary along this line because he and RFM are both Argentines. Hugo Sanchez typically attacks foreign coaches. Doesn't need any motivating. He was eager to do so in the aftermath.

When pressed Sanchez said he would have deployed 2 Fs with an emphasis on accompanying crosses and incorporating the flank defenders into the attack. However, a separate commentator had previously noted that crosses were not effective because they were a lottery given the defensive posture set by Eve and the evidence of how they were handled. Implicitly, Sanchez was thinking about second ball situations.

On the racism issue: yesterday I viewed a live stream that took place during the match. A stream hosted in Panama from what I gather. Those following the stream were representative of all Central American countries + Mexico. One of the hosts is of African descent.

Someone actually messaged into the stream making a racist comment about our team that they somehow thought the Panamanian man would ignore. He locked that down with a quickness and effectively. But it was interesting to see that the dumbass who sent the comment didn't get that he couldn't refer to T&T players in the manner he did without also implicitly offending the host.

Last comment: we have been competing in CONCACAF for decades but there's is still so much we don't understand about our opponents.

The Chicharito/Funes Mori issue will go away gradually once Raul Jimenez is properly back to action. The public may have issues with RFM but once he scores some won't care enough. The good money is on RFM and Jimenez. If someone breaks through during the coming season, which kicks off in a few days, more power to him.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2021, 06:30:14 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 31, 2021, 07:44:06 AM »
How come Lainez not in Mexico squad? Ok he in the Olympic squad.
Good ting for us, he look a terror to mark.

Was discussing this yesterday.  Mexico is out to win the Gold Cup AND to bring home the gold medal. Yuh would think Lainez would make the squad, but it was not to be.

He is two handfuls and he will have many days ahead of bringing the pain to regional football.

Betis is hoping to make some coin from putting him on the market before the new season, otherwise they would not have indulged the Olympics.

The GC team has one Cruz Azul player (Pineda). In TT ppl would be bawling so and so won the title, how come only one. Look at the Olympic team and a few more appear. Also only one Santos Laguna player. Generally, you get an insight into the league and NT strength when you see who is in and the limited # by club.

On track with the 6-3 "destruction" of South Korea. Lainez had a mazy assist on #6. He didn't start today or versus South Africa. Couple of his Betis teammates called on Lozano to put him in (via tweet). Sort of a response to the hundreds of Mexicans who were pissed he didn't start upon arrival at Betis.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2021, 02:13:51 PM »
‘Blatant disrespect!’ Players lift lid on G/Cup feud, which almost saw T&T withdraw before Mexico game
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

The Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Senior Team came within a whisker of elimination from the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup tournament before the competition even started in earnest.

But the wily opponent that nearly chopped down the Soca Warriors, according to the players themselves, was not French Guiana or Montserrat or even Mexico. It was the Fifa-appointed normalisation committee, which now has total control over the business of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA).

The Warriors were less than 24 hours away from kick-off against Mexico at Arlington, Texas—the curtain-raiser for the entire tournament—when normalisation committee member Nigel Romano, according to a national player who spoke on condition of anonymity, set them an ultimatum.

“I have a budget in front of me [for match fees],” said Romano, according to the footballer, “and if the players are not going to accept it, then I have no problem booking the tickets for you all to come home.”

Romano, a banker and chartered accountant, is the chairman of National Flour Mills (NFM) and Nipdec, as well as a director at the Ansa Merchant Bank. At his side in the meeting with the Soca Warriors was normalisation committee chairman Robert Hadad, who is co-CEO of the HadCo Group of Companies, whose portfolio includes Haagen-Dazs, Nova Lighting, Caribbean LED Lighting, Creamery Novelties, and Peppercorns.

They were accompanied by acting TTFA general secretary Amiel Mohammed. (The other normalisation committee members, Judy Daniel and Trevor Nicholas Gomez, did not attend.)

At the other end of the virtual table for the salary negotiations was national team captain Khaleem Hyland, star midfielder Kevin Molino, and veteran goalkeeper Marvin Phillip. The players had no legal counsel whatsoever.

None of the Warriors in the meeting continued their formal education beyond fifth form—Hyland and Molino attended what was then Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive, while Phillip is a former Princes Town Senior Comprehensive student.

If it were a boxing match rather than a salary dispute, Hadad and Romano would have been denied a sanction to challenge the players directly since they were clearly in different weight classes.

And if the balance of power was not lopsided enough already, the normalisation committee kept repeating a move that put additional pressure on the players. Rather than negotiate match fees and bonuses well in advance—so as to afford players adequate time to debate among themselves and even seek external guidance—the Hadad-led group kept waiting until the very last minute to begin formal discussions.

The players, according to one insider, asked the normalisation committee to hammer out match fees and bonuses for the Gold Cup tournament from as far back as March 2021, when they finally agreed on fees for the Qatar 2022 World Cup series.

They claimed that Hadad and company refused.

“Let’s do one thing at a time,” was the supposed response from the normalisation committee.

So, Hadad waited until the Soca Warriors had already started their pre-tournament training camp in Miami before he started talks over remuneration on 1 July.

By that time, the players had already given their commitments to play in the Gold Cup to interim head coach Angus Eve as well as their respective clubs, who had released them for the tournament. They might be further swayed by the camaraderie of the camp setting or the proximity of the event.

It is uncertain whether Hadad and Romano scheduled the talks so as to intentionally give themselves an advantage over the players. The normalisation committee chairman was not forthcoming when Wired868 approached him for answers.

“We asked for that discussion on Gold Cup fees earlier and we didn’t get it until we left Trinidad,” said the player. “So we were out there preparing and a day before the first game, we came to an agreement for just the qualifying rounds. And they said if we qualified, we will discuss fees for the group stage right after.

“Then we asked again about the group stage as soon as we beat French Guiana, but they waited until the day before the [Mexico] game to try to decide that.”

Trinidad and Tobago defeated Montserrat 6-1 and edged French Guiana 8-7 on kicks from the penalty mark after a 1-1 score at the end of regulation time.

The normalisation committee members waited until midday on 9 July—the eve of the Gold Cup opener against Mexico—before they started those talks. And it was 2am on 10 July when Phillip and Molino finally came to an agreement with the local football body.

The players had not budged.

“I don’t understand why you’re being so disrespectful,” Phillip allegedly told Romano. “We don’t have to go down that road.”

Molino supposedly supported his teammate.

“If we’re trying to reach out to you all and you don’t respect us then okay,” said Molino. “But I am not playing for this.”

Romano apologised for his ultimatum and had excused himself from the meeting by the time that Hadad and Mohammed reached an agreement with the players. Was it all a negotiating ploy by the normalisation committee? And at whose expense?

The players, according to the source, felt frustrated and disrespected. And, presumably, interim head coach Angus Eve would have preferred his starting goalkeeper to be in bed getting a good night’s rest before they took on Mexico.

Eve may have his own problems, as his title ‘interim’ would suggest. The coach and his staff still have not been paid for their Gold Cup duties, although they have not complained to the Unified Football Coaches of Trinidad and Tobago (UFCTT).

Maybe Eve and his contingent are waiting to see if they are hired full-time first.

The Club Sando FC and Naparima College head coach received a contract to lead the Warriors up until 31 August 2021, with the normalisation committee vowing to put the position of head coach up for tender. Eve has been invited to apply.

However, the normalisation committee is yet to start the application process for the soon-to-be-vacant position.

Hadad and his gang turned down invitations to play at the Boys and Girls Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Under-15 Challenge Series this month. So, when Eve’s contract expires, there will be only one active national team in the country: the Women’s Senior National Team, led by Welsh coach James Thomas.

The irony is that TTFA members said they turned their backs on former president William Wallace so that ‘young players could play football’ under the Fifa normalisation committee. Now, they are largely silent as the players complain of being bullied, disrespected or yanked out of competitions.

“Every time we ask what is going on, we hear that Khaleem [Hyland] has called Hadad and Marvin [Phillip] has called Amiel [Mohammed],” said one player, “and neither of them are answering or returning calls or messages. It is just total disrespect.”

Before the start of the World Cup qualifying campaign, the national players agreed to wait 60 days before payment of match fees. It was an unprecedented concession by the Soca Warriors.

A decade ago, the TTFA routinely paid players within a week of international duty. Before that, Soca Warriors got their remuneration before they broke camp to return home. And, in the previous generation, the likes of national captain David Nakhid got his match fee upfront before he had even put his boots on.

However, even with an extraordinary time-lapse between game and payment, the normalisation committee still paid late for the first round of World Cup qualifiers. And this was despite the fact that Concacaf confirmed two Fifa payments to the TTFA of US$800,000 (TT$5.4 mil) each in January and July.

Before the Gold Cup, the Warriors requested a change in their payment schedule. They wanted to receive match fees within 30 days of the game, and they wanted penalties of 10 per cent for every week that the normalisation committee was late.

“We were trying to be reasonable and they were not fulfilling their side of the agreement,” said the player, who explained the proposed amendment from the Soca Warriors.

The response from the normalisation committee to the suggestion for a penalty for late payment was allegedly unequivocal.

“Amiel said they are not accepting that,” said the anonymous Soca Warrior.

So, the normalisation committee members agreed to pay players within half of the previously agreed time, with no sanction if they fail to keep their word.

And then they promptly broke that promise too.

The Trinidad and Tobago players are still owed fees for World Cup qualifiers against The Bahamas and St Kitts and Nevis on 5 and 8 June respectively, as well as for Gold Cup fixtures against French Guiana (6 July), Mexico (10 July), El Salvador (14 July) and Guatemala (18 July).

The total owed, according to the players, is between US$6,000 (TT$41,000) to US$11,000 (TT$75,000) each. It is a debt felt particularly keenly by the local-based footballers, who are unable to work due to Covid-19 restrictions which outlaw domestic sporting competition.

The players successfully negotiated to have fees for one Gold Cup match, the Montserrat outing, paid while they were still in the United States. Otherwise the players, who received an allowance of roughly US$25 (TT$170) a day, would have been unable to look after themselves properly at the Gold Cup. But it was not enough to address their misgivings about the local administrators.

As the Soca Warriors prepared to leave their hotel to face Mexico, they delayed their departure to receive and sign a contract from the normalisation committee for Gold Cup group stage match fees. It felt significant at the time, but not now.

“Their promises don’t seem to be worth the paper they are written on,” the player said.

The Warriors, of course, went on to hold Mexico goalless in a momentous affair that ended with players harassed by racist abuse and death threats. Trinidad and Tobago failed to advance to the knockout rounds, though, after a loss to El Salvador and another draw with Guatemala.

Most observers suggested that it was an improvement on their disastrous World Cup qualifying adventure under coach Terry Fenwick, when draws to Puerto Rico and The Bahamas meant they finished behind St Kitts and Nevis and were eliminated.

“The mood for the Gold Cup was a drastic change,” said the national player, with a laugh. “We have a coach who is willing to hear the players and work with them. Under the last regime, the players were not comfortable at all and you can see the results of that.

“Fenwick didn’t listen to anyone, period. He always wanted things his way.”

But improved performances, the players complain, changed little for them. At the Gold Cup, they had to put aside racist abuse, chaotic preparations, and a string of injuries—Hyland, Judah Garcia, Triston Hodge all suffered muscle injuries, Aubrey David needed eight stitches after being kicked in the face against Montserrat, and Neveal Hackshaw was diagnosed with ‘walking pneumonia’ before kick-off against Guatemala—to perform.

If Hadad, Daniel, Romano, Gomez and Mohammed appreciate the players’ efforts, they have a funny way of showing it.

“Good results or bad results, the treatment we receive is the same,” said another player, who also spoke on condition of anonymity.

The misgivings run deep as the players accuse Hadad, Daniel and Romano of collectively breaking several promises, including a supposed vow to pay stipends for training sessions.

“We feel we are just being blatantly disrespected,” said the first player. “We don’t seem to get any kind of support or respect from them. They say one thing in the media but something very different happens when they have to deal with us.

“We have a contract agreement but then they totally disregard it. After this, there is only one other decision we can take.”

At present, the normalisation committee has not confirmed any friendly matches or camps for the Men’s National Senior Team, which does not go into competitive action until the Concacaf Nations League next May.

Hadad has not so far indicated when a full-time head coach will be appointed or when the players and possibly outgoing technical staff members will be paid.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2021, 06:06:45 PM »
Always some bacchanal between the leadership and players, every tournament is the same story. I wonder why the players and staff can't get paid from the funds we received from playing in the GC?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2021, 06:15:50 PM »
Always some bacchanal between the leadership and players, every tournament is the same story. I wonder why the players and staff can't get paid from the funds we received from playing in the GC?

Yuh would think this would be THE tournament that the NC would be most motivated to avoid negativity.  ::)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 25, 2021, 03:58:42 PM »
If all this is true, then all those who does blast local players and foreigner-born(who hedge their bets on TT) see why our football is in constant flux. Can't believe this shit happening. Look to hell with the NC.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2022, 05:31:09 AM »
Mexico has come up with a way of dodging the bullet/sanction of not having fans in the stands. Advantage Mexico. Needless to say, this is stirring up a range of dissatisfaction among Panamanians.

1]; } ?>