March 28, 2024, 02:07:48 PM

Author Topic: I love T&F but where are our Youths?  (Read 3295 times)

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
I love T&F but where are our Youths?
« on: August 20, 2021, 04:14:36 AM »
I love track and field since  my youth- running in informal village games - sprinting down streets  during Sunday church events.
Clamouring around TV to watch  international  events in the 60's watching athletes representing T&T on the world stage feeling that sense of pride- what accomplishments from our small country.

Then my career allowed me to share my passion- coaching track in Canada- experiencing being part of a system supporting youth athletics- what a novel idea!
Today I am up in the wee hours of the mornings to watch the u 20 youth world championships in Kenya- astonished by the mere presence of three athletes so far from T&T while Jamaica continues to have a presence in multiple events - sprints hurdles etc and doing well- non traditional track countries like India in multiple track events and I ask myself WTF has happened to our program? Where the F are our athletes  who are on scholarships abroad?

Could someone shed some light on why we are so under represented at an event like this?

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: I love T&F but where are our Youths?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2021, 10:22:50 AM »
Read some of the recent posts in the Olympic forum. It will give you an idea of the issues we identified.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2021, 12:03:17 PM »
Never have been so proud of Jamaican  athletes accomplishment on the world T&F stage- what their  junior and senior women are doing is astonishing.

We inT& T could learn a lot from " put of many one"
Yet we struggle with " Together we Aspire Together we achieve"
Since a certain opposition leader was in power and through a policy of divisiness  and public stupidity of disrespect we just can't seem to find a way to be back.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 06:49:02 AM »
How do we get back on " track"? what is happening locally and with athletes on international scholarships?

I read about the lack. Ofathletes not meeting Olympic qualifying standards yet I witnessed athletes from lesser known track and field countries competing with some horrid times-  I saw sprinters from countries like India and Kenya at least getting international exposure and we are sending over the hill and in some cases injured athletes to compete?

We do have some knowledgeable folks who knows what it takes to get our athethes to where we ought to be-
Let's reexamine our national program from the school to community level and begin in earnest to build rather than critize.
Instead of asking what the country can do ask what can you do for your land of birth! instead of asking where is the next great one or who is there to coachbegin with who is there andbuild what meets the eye.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 06:28:58 AM »
AB, I have asked some friends home, what going on in local sports. Nothing. They eh really bother because they have cable tv to satisfy their needs. No organized sports is being played because of regulations due to covid. This is September month. Usually, football and rugby in full swing. You go get lock up if you try that now. Sports team in TT do not have the resources to create a bubble for their respective teams. Look, just talk to Your people at home and they go give your an insight into the sporting situation at home.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 06:06:09 PM »

Your question is still relevant today!

Depending on the older heads who are getting older each year is why we in this hot mess

https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrinbago/posts/731700668176112

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 10:50:44 AM »

Depending on the older heads who are getting older each year is why we in this hot mess

Like my good friend Mike Grayson repeat over and over, it has to start collectively and seriously at the primary school level.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 01:54:35 PM »

Like my good friend Mike Grayson repeat over and over, it has to start collectively and seriously at the primary school level.

and WHO will be coaching them to be better at the primary school level?

Old men like you who think a Canadian runner (Blake) ran 10.06 in a race and now a serious threat to the world?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2022, 08:06:05 AM »

and WHO will be coaching them to be better at the primary school level?

Old men like you who think a Canadian runner (Blake) ran 10.06 in a race and now a serious threat to the world?

Sando what is your issue ?  You know damn well the development programs are woefully lacking in all sports in the country. So when do we start engaging youths to build their skills,  when they reach HS ? Well Breds, it will be a bit too late for most of them.  Yes, most primary schools in this era have little interest in sports, unless a couple of their kids who play for a club. We have these different denominational schools, plus the govt schools. What are their programs? The only primary school program that has traction is the POS environs. They get sponsorship for Nestle Milo. Tobago does its own thing with assistance from the Tobago House of Assembley. I don't know about East, South and Central. Central is probably the wealthiest area in TT and apart from cricket, very little is done with TF, basketball, netball, swimming, cycling. Mind you, they have the most of the facilities now. And I will ask the question again, and again, and again. Why is there a lack of East Indian boys and girls in sports(except cricket)? They answer is, there is no serious programs at the primary school level. Blame, the schools, govt(Ministry of Education, Ministry of Sports) and the parents.

As far as Blake winning the 100 in 10.94 ? He beat Johan Blake, Eryon Knighton and Noah Lyles(3 "shittongs", right ?). I know is one race. I was impressed with his performance. He beat 3 Olympians. They ran the race into a very strong headwind. It was overcast and rainy. Plus Bermuda is a very  flat island so the wind has an effect on the race times. Almost all the times in that meet was "slow". It is like running from west to east in TT. Geo V park and Skinner park was like that. So that is my opinions. Take it from there.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 11:56:43 AM by Deeks »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2022, 01:36:45 PM »

:frustrated:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2022, 09:10:14 AM »

:frustrated:

Why are you frustrated with me ?

They answer is, there is no serious programs at the primary school level. Blame, the schools, govt(Ministry of Education, Ministry of Sports) and the parents. And the business sector.

Tell us your plans for fixing this problem. I don't have all the answers. But I think what I stated is the source of our poor showing at TF meets.

1]; } ?>