March 28, 2024, 10:46:59 AM

Author Topic: Coaching Football in America Thread  (Read 929 times)

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Coaching Football in America Thread
« on: September 27, 2021, 09:44:02 PM »
Hey all,

I recently started coaching football in the USA. Started with an assistant role and this year I took a leadership role with a girls team. I felt I would start a thread like this for other coaches to share their experiences, philosophies, and method. The biggest issue I'm dealing with is kids not willing to take instruction and their attitude of learning. They play for these summer/traveling "clubs" but they can't trap, have no positional awareness, very little skill, only speed and strength, very low technical ability. What do you do in these situations, do you use the Insideout coaching method or do you use the prescription where the coach shows/tells you them to do?

Thanks
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Football in America Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 05:33:16 AM »
Hey all,

I recently started coaching football in the USA. Started with an assistant role and this year I took a leadership role with a girls team. I felt I would start a thread like this for other coaches to share their experiences, philosophies, and method. The biggest issue I'm dealing with is kids not willing to take instruction and their attitude of learning. They play for these summer/traveling "clubs" but they can't trap, have no positional awareness, very little skill, only speed and strength, very low technical ability. What do you do in these situations, do you use the Insideout coaching method or do you use the prescription where the coach shows/tells you them to do?

Thanks

Cozy up to the parents and guardians and smile and nod. :devil:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 06:57:09 AM »
Congrats Breds. Wish you all the best. All I can say right now, is to be patient and use your best judgement. If possible use a combination of both. But I feel you may have to do a lot of show and tell by the way you describe the skill and awareness level of the players you have. Good luck and Blessings.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 09:18:53 AM »
Hey all,

Thanks

Welcome to the coaching ranks Preacher.

Kudos to you for stepping up and looking to make a difference and also having an open mind to solicit advice.
Can you give some more detail on the team and environment? What age group? Level of competition, commitment, how often they train etc
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 09:03:02 PM »
Hey all,

Thanks

Cozy up to the parents and guardians and smile and nod. :devil:

That seems to work if I'm resigned to babysitting.  ::) 

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2021, 09:12:24 PM »
Hey all,

Thanks

Welcome to the coaching ranks Preacher.

Kudos to you for stepping up and looking to make a difference and also having an open mind to solicit advice.
Can you give some more detail on the team and environment? What age group? Level of competition, commitment, how often they train etc

Hey FF

This team is a highschool Varsity girls team. I was able to field 17 players, about 7 of them have playing experience with clubs, etc. They brag up these club players but they most could only do a few things well. Most of the ability is in running. So I'm trying to figure out how to get them to understand that skill is also important. But I'm very confused as to how they don't know these simple things and they are traveling all over the place with clubs. Our season is only a couple of months about 16 games then sectionals. We are playing a 4-1-4-1.

Part of the issue is that the players who could play have to do a lot of work to cover and make for the gaps in the team. I could help but I need buy-in from the mature players. Our record is 4-5-1. Thanks for the help.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 11:11:16 AM »
@ 4-5-1 wha more yuh want again?  :rotfl: Ah like how yuh tuck that in there after first singing a tale of woe.

Of the items you identified, there is a strong upside/opportunity to improve collective positional awareness.

Technical improvements can come on an individual level, but since you are beyond the mid-point of the regular season you should identify/prioritize perhaps no more than three items that would assist in improving results and offering a modicum of improved understanding of the game/technical concerns/deficiencies. No miracles will be worked. Incremental environment.

I suspect the parents are more interested in winning than in how the winning is achieved. So you have to figure out what YOUR philosophical balance/approach is vis-à-vis "improving/developing". Having mentioned the record, it seems you are results-sensitive.

As an example, one area you could focus on working on could be the defending actions/movements of the [GK+ Back 4 + 1]. Then layer that with how you want the "Front 5" to complement those defensive actions.

That can be layered with the GK distribution you prefer.

Depending on how they take things aboard or how you have the better players situated, you could layer that with transitioning from DEF to ATTACK.

You can polish that with shooting activities that don't involve queues and standing around, but that keep everyone involved and that offer lots of actual shooting opportunities and repeated situations on goal.

17 players? You can build to  7 v 7 + 2GK + N (a neutral player) for that activity. In reduced space. We can discuss via PM.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 11:22:32 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 11:31:06 PM »
@ 4-5-1 wha more yuh want again?  :rotfl: Ah like how yuh tuck that in there after first singing a tale of woe.

Of the items you identified, there is a strong upside/opportunity to improve collective positional awareness.

2. Technical improvements can come on an individual level, but since you are beyond the mid-point of the regular season you should identify/prioritize perhaps no more than three items that would assist in improving results and offering a modicum of improved understanding of the game/technical concerns/deficiencies. No miracles will be worked. Incremental environment.

I suspect the parents are more interested in winning than in how the winning is achieved. So you have to figure out what YOUR philosophical balance/approach is vis-à-vis "improving/developing". 1. Having mentioned the record, it seems you are results-sensitive.

As an example, one area you could focus on working on could be the defending actions/movements of the [GK+ Back 4 + 1]. Then layer that with how you want the "Front 5" to complement those defensive actions.

That can be layered with the GK distribution you prefer.

Depending on how they take things aboard or how you have the better players situated, you could layer that with transitioning from DEF to ATTACK.

You can polish that with shooting activities that don't involve queues and standing around, but that keep everyone involved and that offer lots of actual shooting opportunities and repeated situations on goal.

17 players? You can build to  7 v 7 + 2GK + N (a neutral player) for that activity. In reduced space. We can discuss via PM.

1. Absolutely.  I guess I want to do well with my first outing as a head coach. 
2. That is a very good tip to help me clarify what can be done and what can't be done. I have actually begun to implement some of those things. I've been working on some positional awareness with the back 4 and the CDM. It worked very well today we won 6-1.

This is very helpful gentlmen. I apprciate it a lot.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2021, 06:02:34 AM »
Good morning Preacher,

High school ball can be unforgiving, especially with the schedule. Several games a week and they train everyday. Is that the case with you?
Have you put any consideration into managing the girls physical and cognitive load.
In theory, the high school season leaves only time for recovery and preparative sessions between games. Especially if your team is dominated by vertical runners.

As asylum said you want to have an idea as to your game model and what can be realistically achieved in the short season. Maybe it is that you are setting a bedrock with the younger girls in preparation for the next season. Again balancing the expectations of the players and parents with results.

Offline Preacher

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2021, 09:58:30 PM »
Good morning Preacher,

High school ball can be unforgiving, especially with the schedule. Several games a week and they train everyday. 1. Is that the case with you?
2. Have you put any consideration into managing the girls physical and cognitive load.
In theory, the high school season leaves only time for recovery and preparative sessions between games. Especially if your team is dominated by vertical runners.

As asylum said you want to have an idea as to your game model and what can be realistically achieved in the short season. Maybe it is that you are setting a bedrock with the younger girls in preparation for the next season. Again balancing the expectations of the players and parents with results.

1. Yep that is the situation I'm in.

2. Yes but I might not know what to do about it. at this point. I am trying to make practice as fun as possible. Try not to coach all the time. I may have some unrealistic expectations on account of this being my first time out.

How do you guys lead your teams?  Do you right prescription for players or is it more relational? Or maybe some of both.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2021, 01:04:08 PM »
@Preacher

How did the season work out?

Happy Thanksgiving to all

1]; } ?>