March 28, 2024, 06:05:02 AM

Author Topic: 2022 CONCACAF U-20 Women's Championship Thread  (Read 2811 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 CONCACAF U-20 Women's Championship Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2022, 03:41:28 PM »
James Island soccer player’s Olympic dreams get boost with Trinidad and Tobago team
By David Shelton (The Post and Courier)

Marley Walker has Olympic dreams and her talents as a soccer player may lend her that opportunity someday.

But the dream of competing on the world stage may not come as a member of the U.S. Olympic soccer team for Walker, a sophomore at James Island Charter High School. As a dual citizen of the United States and Trinidad, Walker already has her foot in the door as a member of the developmental program for Trinidad and Tobago. Her father Gerard is a native of Trinidad and her mother Natalie is an American.

Last month, Walker played for Trinidad and Tobago in the CONCACAF World U-20 championships in the Dominican Republic, an event that included 20 teams from North and Central America and the Caribbean. The U.S. team won the championship and qualified for the U-20 World Cup this summer.

Though her team failed to win a match in the qualifier, Walker gushed about the experience of competing on the big stage.

“It was amazing. A really good experience for me,” said Walker, who at 16 was the youngest member of the Trinidad and Tobago team. “I was able to play and compete against the best players and it was fun for me to see where I stand and how I compare. It was eye-opening and a great honor to be a part of. The environment was incredible, like nothing I have ever been a part of.”

Walker returned to James Island in time for the start of the high school season. James Island is the defending Class AAAA state champion and is currently the top-ranked team in Class AAAA. While her focus now is on the high school season, her experience last month has whet her appetite for more.

“Long term I would love to continue playing with the Trinidad and Tobago program and hopefully work my way up in their system to the top level,” said Walker, who was named after the late Bob Marley, world-renowned singer and songwriter from Jamaica. “I have traveled there a good bit as a kid so I feel comfortable there. It would be an honor to represent them someday in the Olympics or the World Cup.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2022, 01:06:32 AM »
Saw the highlights   :-[ :-[ :-[  Well Spence selected a locally based team

Thoughts on who should have been in the squad but was not?

Well  asylumseeker  our past u17 u20 girls   squads over the years consist of mostly north american born / based players. However , to answer your question on who should have been picked I have  no idea ..............

There are players out there. And Serrant was not the only senior team player eligible as a U-20. One player who I am sure could have competed at this level is the daughter of one of our most famous players.

While I'm on this: There are two players on the U-20 who I think should be integrated into the senior team training squad. Both can be cultivated. Will see how they look versus Canada before saying more.

This occurred. De Gannes' incorporation was a presumptive no brainer.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 01:08:58 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2022, 11:15:13 AM »
Is CONCACAF boycotting the Women’s Under 20 WC? CONCACAF hosts the tournament through Costa Rica yet you rarely see an article about it on the website. Maybe it has to do with the poor showing of the CONCACAF teams.
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2022, 05:22:23 PM »
Is CONCACAF boycotting the Women’s Under 20 WC? CONCACAF hosts the tournament through Costa Rica yet you rarely see an article about it on the website. Maybe it has to do with the poor showing of the CONCACAF teams.

I saw Mexico-Brazil game. That's about it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2022, 09:13:08 PM by Deeks »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2022, 12:31:02 AM »

FIFA is the entity responsible for the WC; that's why CONCACAF is treating it as you have observed.

1]; } ?>