April 27, 2024, 02:09:05 AM

Author Topic: 2022/23 Concacaf Nations League Thread  (Read 37119 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2022/23 Concacaf Nations League Thread
« Reply #330 on: October 17, 2023, 08:57:49 PM »
I know we are missing key players but this team need some more additions especially in the middle ...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 17, 2023, 08:58:32 PM »
as a matter of fact we need  to strenghten all over
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 17, 2023, 08:59:06 PM »
How is Hackshaw so unfit and on the team? I'm not dissing him, I don't understand it.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 17, 2023, 09:20:43 PM »
We're missing about 6 key players. Most of the other got their A squad players. We can't afford to go into the qualifiers without Garciax2, Phillips, Fortunex2, and possibly Bateau.

We need a quality CB that can also play wide. David is a good player, but he got stretched a lot.

Curacao was deadly on the wings. Thus is where we missed the pace of Shannon Gomez. 

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 17, 2023, 09:24:40 PM »
Noah Powder should have played. He can play wide on defense or offense. Eve should've considered that.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 17, 2023, 09:40:37 PM »
Hackshaw had a good Nations League, Preacher. Lots of fingers to point otherwise so after Eve, it hard to begin. Russel Jr and Alvin Jones, I like their attacking flair, but those dudes can't defend...particularly crosses. [Imagine I missing Shannon Gomez now]. Aubrey is our best..and that is a sad thing.
Anyway, I happy for the games, and am not looking fwd to what a full strength US squad will do, given we got 6 from their B team.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #336 on: October 18, 2023, 12:03:04 AM »
Warriors lose to Curaçao 5-3 to finish in second place.
CONCACAF.COM.

MIAMI, Florida – The group stage of League A of the 2023-24 Concacaf Nations League came to a thrilling conclusion on Tuesday night, with Panama and Trinidad and Tobago emerging as the top two sides in Group A to qualify for next month’s quarterfinals.

Panama win the group with 10 points, followed shortly behind in second place by Trinidad and Tobago with nine points.

Curacao earned their first win of the group stage in impressive fashion with a 5-3 triumph over Trinidad and Tobago at the Ergilio Hato Stadium in Willemstad, Curacao.

It was an ideal start for Curacao, who took a 1-0 lead in the 7’ when a long ball was played up to Rangelo Janga and the experienced striker finished with aplomb past Trinidad and Tobago GK Denzil Smith.

Curacao were hungry for more and they doubled the lead to 2-0 in the 12’ when Kenji Gorre found Godfried Roemeratoe, who fired into net past Smith.

The Curacao attack was unyielding and a hard run from Gorre in the 54’ ended in a foul in the Trinidad and Tobago area and a penalty kick. Gorre stepped up and easily converted from the spot, extending the Curacao advantage to 3-0.

Trinidad and Tobago were finally able to pull back a goal in the 68’ as Ryan Telfer found Reon Moore with a cross from the right wing and Moore finished to make it 3-1.

It was Trinidad and Tobago with the momentum now and suddenly it was 3-2 in the 74’ when a rebound fell for Kristian Lee-Him to latch onto and fire into goal.

Curacao had a golden opportunity to restore a two-goal advantage from the penalty spot in the 75’ after a Trinidad and Tobago handball, only to see Smith save Brandley Kuwas’ penalty. But three minutes later it was 4-2 via the penalty spot after a foul in the area. This time Juninho Bacuna stroked it into net for Curacao.

Curacao’s three-goal lead was then restored in the 81’ when Roshon Van Eijma’s header hit the crossbar, but Janga was there to head in the rebound to make it 5-2.

Their chances at winning the group were fading away, but Trinidad and Tobago wanted to make sure they held onto the second spot, and they made it a 5-3 final scoreline in the 86’ when a free kick was played in front of the Curacao goal and Kareem Moses poked home the loose ball.

Teams

Trinidad and Tobago (4-2-3-1): 22.Denzil Smith (GK); 16.Alvin Jones, 2.Aubrey David (captain), 17.Justin Garcia, 3.Ross Russell Jr (12.Kareem Moses 46); 15.Neveal Hackshaw (8.Noah Powder 87), 14.Michel-Poon-Angeron (23.Kristian Lee Him 46); 7.Ryan Telfer (11.Real Gill 71), 18.Andre Rampersad, 20.Kaïlé Auvray (6.Andre Raymond 46); 13.Reon Moore.

Unused substitutes: 1.Christopher Biggette (GK), 21.Jabari St Hillaire (GK), 4.Jesse Williams, 5.Kevon Goddard, 9.Nathaniel James, 10.Duane Muckette, 19.Tyrone Charles.

Coach: Angus Eve

Yellow Cards

André Raymond
Kristian Lee-Him

Curaçao (4-1-4-1): 23.Trevor Doornbusch, 4.Roshon van Eijma, 3.Juriën Gaari, 6.Vurnon Anita, 12.Justin Ogenia, 15.Nathangelo Markelo, 7.Juninho Bacuna (20.Kevin Felida 83), 8.Godfried Roemeratoe, 14.Kenji Gorré (13.Joshua Zimmerman 68), 17.Brandley Kuwas (18.Elson Hooi 83), 9.Rangelo Janga).

Yellow Cards

Vurnon Anita

Concacaf Nations League Result

(Tue 17 October)

Curaçao 5 (Rangelo Janga 7, 81, Godfried Roemeratoe 12, Kenji Gorre 56 pen, Juninho Bacuna 78 pen), Trinidad and Tobago 3 (Reon Moore 68, Kristian Lee-Him 74, Kareem Moses 86) at Willemstad.

STATS

CUR - TRI

51.4% Possession 48.6%
5 Shots on Goal 4
24 Shot Attempts 17
19 Fouls 12
5 Corner Kicks 6
1 Saves 5

Concacaf Nations League Final Standings

TEAM   GP   W   D   L   GD   P
Panama   4   3   1   0   +7   10
Trinidad and Tobago   4   3   0   1   +1   9
Martinique   4   2   1   1   -1   7
Guatemala   4   1   1   2   -2   4
Curacao   4   1   0   3   -1   3
El Salvador   4   0   1   3   -4   1

WATCH Highlights | Curaçao vs Trinidad & Tobago | 2023/24 Concacaf Nations League

WATCH Eve's Comments as T&T secure Nations League Quarter Final qualification - T&T 3 x Curacao 5

T&T to face USA in Nation League Quarter Finals.
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago will face the United States in the quarter finals of the Concacaf Nations League in November. T&T will face the US in the opening leg of the home and away tie in Austin, Texas on November 16th before playing at home at a venue to be announced in Trinidad on November 20th.

The winner advances to the semi finals of the Nations League as well as the 2024 Copa America while the losers of the tie will have a second opportunity at Copa America qualification in the playoff against another quarter-final loser in March, 2024.

The schedule for the Quarterfinals is as follows, with the home team for each match listed first (per the competition regulations, the four pre-seeded federations, Canada, Costa Rica, Mexico, and the United States, themselves had the opportunity to decide whether they would play first at home or away.):

Thursday, November 16, 2023
United States vs Trinidad and Tobago
Costa Rica vs Panama

Friday, November 17, 2023
Jamaica vs Canada
Honduras vs Mexico

Monday, November 20, 2023
Trinidad and Tobago vs United States
Panama vs Costa Rica

Tuesday, November 21, 2023
Canada vs Jamaica
Mexico vs Honduras

After home-and-away play, the aggregate score winner in each pairing will advance to both the 23/24 Concacaf Nations League Finals and the CONMEBOL Copa America USA 2024. The four losing Quarterfinalists will still have an opportunity to qualify for next summer’s Copa America via a single-match direct elimination Play-In, where they will play for the two remaining slots for Concacaf nations. This Play-In will also take place in March 2024.

23/24 Concacaf Nations League Finals

The Concacaf Nations League Finals’ third edition is scheduled to take place in March 2024. The final four, between League A’s Quarterfinal winners, includes semifinals, to be played on Thursday, March 21, 2024, followed by a Third Place Match and Final on Sunday, March 24.

To determine the semifinal pairings, the four participating nations will be ranked 1-4, according to their performance in the Quarterfinals (points, and if required, goal difference), with the highest-ranked team facing the lowest-ranked team (1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3).

More details on the 23/24 Concacaf Nations League Finals and the Concacaf Copa America Play-In will be announced in due course.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 11:50:46 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 18, 2023, 05:49:43 AM »
Minute 3:12

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rTNGnvuDHoM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rTNGnvuDHoM</a>
« Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 05:51:21 AM by Trini _2026 »

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 18, 2023, 07:20:24 AM »
From the get-go: Minute 2:21 -- i had to stop. i go need some days to listen to the rest of he.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 18, 2023, 10:25:38 AM »
Eve: We usually defend properly; T&T coach explains Curaçao defeat, praises CNL campaign
Wired868.com

Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Senior Team head coach Angus Eve blamed a combination of tired legs, astroturf, TTPFL inactivity and refereeing decisions for their first defeat of the 2023/24 Concacaf Nations League A competition, as they fell 5-3 to Curaçao yesterday in Willemstad.

https://wired868.com/2023/10/18/eve-we-usually-defend-properly-tt-coach-explains-curacao-defeat-praises-cnl-campaign/

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 18, 2023, 05:06:27 PM »
From the get-go: Minute 2:21 -- i had to stop. i go need some days to listen to the rest of he

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I grind meh teeth. Cover meh ears. And suffered through it steupsing . . .

Ah musbe like torture oui
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 19, 2023, 10:01:24 AM »
That doe or die attitude is easily demolished by another team's fitness and tactical superiority.
We're up against a USA team whose players are in mid season in the top 5 leagues across Europe, whilst our players are predominantly in the TTPFL off season.
We need to adopt the approach of Jamaica, Nigeria and Ghana who trawl the world for the best players that can potentially represent them and crucially make the first approach.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 19, 2023, 07:52:38 PM »
Thomo, apparently a law in TT is preventing this from happening. Suriname had a similar law that prevented the Dutch born Surinamese from getting citizenship/passport. The law was changed in 2020 or 2021. Since then Suriname has been featuring a predominantly Dutch born team.

Eve has mentioned this issue before. I don't know about much about the law. However, it has to do with initiating the process to get the citizenship. For TT a parent must initiate it, and they have to provide proof that they are a citizen, and the player is their child. For other countries, the player can initiate it as long as they can prove 1 parent is already a citizen.

Now when it comes to getting citizenship through a grandparent, it's even trickier. I heard that the parent would have to get their citizenship first, then initiate the citizenship process to get their child a passport.

I believe the issue is something like what I mentioned, if anyone can correct me, please do so. I only know pieces of the issue.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 08:06:42 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #343 on: October 20, 2023, 12:12:42 AM »
It was a successful campaign—Eve.
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

National coach Angus Eve has credited his players for qualifying for the quarterfinal round of the CONCACAF Nations League ‘A’ Division, despite a 5-3 loss to Curacao on Tuesday night in Willemstad, Curacao.

“I think the campaign was a huge success,” Eve told the media in a post-match press conference after the loss, however, he pointed to blatant dubious calls by referee Said Martinez, who led an all-Honduran officiating team for the match.

Martinez awarded the hometeam three penalties in the encounter, two of which were converted and the other saved by T&T goalkeeper Denzil Smith.

“This is a rebuilding process that we’re going through and there will be days that you will have your ups and downs, but I thought there were a lot of questionable calls by the referee today. I mean I haven’t seen the tape and I am not one of them to talk about the referees much, but today I thought that out of the three penalties, maybe one, and the other two, and then Denzil made a save. He (the referee) said it crossed the line but it didn’t look like it, Denzil doesn’t feel that it crossed the line, but all-in-all, we had a very good campaign. We’re still alive when other people have gone home,” Eve explained.

Eve’s charges won their first three matches against Curacao 1-0 and El Salvador and Guatemala by a 3-2 margin, before stumbling to their first defeat of the campaign. The loss exposed some areas of weakness in his team which prompted the former national midfielder turned coach, to call adjustments in the local league to help their cause.

“It was difficult for some of the guys to play back-to-back. I thought we struggled, we looked a little bit ‘leggy’ playing on the turf. It seems to be a little bit too much for the guys’ legs and the turf didn’t help at all, but we still made a lot of simple mistakes in defence and that’s basically what we’re known for, defending properly,” Eve, a former national standout explained.

He noted further “ This Curacao team has players in the Dutch League and in the Championships in England, so again, it was always going to be a struggle. Our League back home is not actually going on right now and we played guys like Ross Russell Jr and Alvin Jones, and credit to them because they’re not in season. Michel Poon Angeron is not in season, Denzil is not in season, Duane Muckette and a number of the other guys are not in season, so we really need to ratify the times that we play our Leagues back home because we really need support so that the guys can continue on an upward trajectory and help the national team to go forward.”

The Warriors are now on a collision course with the USA, whom they were pounded by at the recent CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States 6-0 and 7-1 in an international friendly match in 2021. T&T’s comfort against their challengers came from a 2-1 FIFA World Cup Qualifying win at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

The Warriors will first the US on November 16 in Austin, Texas before facing them in the second leg at home four days later on November 20.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 20, 2023, 06:34:36 AM »
Thomo angus brought in  Kristian Lee Him  ;D ..

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 20, 2023, 08:57:55 AM »
Antwoine Hackford is looking good for Sheffield Utd u21. We hadda bring him in.
Daniel Phillip eh get a good run out with us yet but he seems a competent midfielder. Was he injured or something? Didn't notice him in the squad news

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 20, 2023, 09:17:35 AM »
Still doh get how Eve keep saying we defend properly in all dem game we looked good for 2-3 luck was just on our side with loose balls....we were largely passive and waiting for d other team to make a big enough mistake on d ball...we never try to force or pressure mistakes  dey jus fall in we lap.....what I will say is dat this is d most clinical I have seen us in a while...we chance conversion promising....but dat way we defending.........
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 09:24:32 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 20, 2023, 03:55:10 PM »
Daniel Phillips is getting good playing time in Scotland.

Having our full complement of players has always been the norm. 2006 Germany, no Andrew's or Spann. . 2015 Gold cup same thing. . We always missing key players. While other teams always had a full complement when they needed it.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 20, 2023, 11:21:36 PM »
just watch highlights from USA v Ghana.......we are very much dead in the water with dat defending based on what i just saw
I pity the fool....

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 21, 2023, 07:20:56 AM »
gawd on pitch phillps getting playing time in Scotland but in angus team 45 mins

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 21, 2023, 07:27:55 AM »
gawd on pitch

I believe what you're referring to the is TnT's laws and rules granting of citizenship by heritage/parents. Our constitution states that children of nationals born abroad are allowed citizenship (ie a passport) as direct descendants ie parents. So if yuh parents born in TnT you can be granted citizenship, it stops after that. Countries like Jamaica they have the grandparents rule, so you can be granted citizenship via yuh grandparents even if yuh mum or dad born abroad.
However a nice lil caveat in our constitution that can be exploited is if the child who's parent and grandfather was born abroad applies for citizenship before the age of 18.
Yes the direct citizenship via grandparents gives others a leg up over us but be can be smart and look up, approach and see how we can pursue these players before the turn 18 and plan for the future. If Eve and the powers that be at the ttfa ent doing that, dey more stupid than I think.
Hope that makes sense and I ent mix it up too much.

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 21, 2023, 07:32:10 AM »
Antwoine Hackford is looking good for Sheffield Utd u21. We hadda bring him in.
Daniel Phillip eh get a good run out with us yet but he seems a competent midfielder. Was he injured or something? Didn't notice him in the squad news

Actually criminal that Eve and co ent call up this guy. He's even played for the first team a couple times. 
We simply cannot produce the types of players to complete in concacaf in a timely fashion. We have to make use of the opportunity of recruiting foreign born players. How some can't see that is beyond me. 🤦🏾‍♂️

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #352 on: October 21, 2023, 02:37:24 PM »
why some men can't see the reason they are not picking foreign born players that have talent because TT isn't in control of their football or decisions...

its sabotage right through and Eve turns a blind eye to obvious talent that can help, and it's on purpose... You honestly think they can't identify and recruit talent? why are people so naive to believe that...

not all these players are falling under the citizenship rule...
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 02:42:47 PM by Controversial »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 25, 2023, 12:47:19 PM »
Hopefully the guys are putting in extra personal training and getting their fitness levels in peak form especially after what happened this past July. That should be motivation to avoid a repeat of that disaster.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 08, 2023, 11:12:57 AM »
I am aware that many of us have some doubts about AE,maybe because of some results over his tenure,we cannot say 100% that he is doing badly,in fact he is outdoing many of the past coaches,although I think,some of his selections puzzle me and others.Today I looked at AE doing a training stint,and I can't help but say,I do like the advise he gives the players,they are simple and effective if follow2ed,things he tells the players reminds me of British football managers of some years ago.Football could be simple but players could make it difficult if tactical awareness is missing.I just feel we would put up a good fight against the USA,I hope.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #355 on: November 08, 2023, 02:03:22 PM »
Soca Warriors' Nations League squad to be named Sunday.
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday).

With the Trinidad and Tobago men's football team set to play the US in a 2023/24 Concacaf Nations League A home-and-away quarter-final tie on November 16 and 20, coach Angus Eve is hoping striker Levi Garcia will be fully fit for both games.

The Greece-based Garcia returned to action for AEK Athens on Saturday when they played AE Kifisia in the Greece top flight. The 25-year-old Garcia missed six weeks with a quad injury and came off the bench versus Kifisia as the third-placed AEK were held to a 1-1 draw.

Speaking to the TT Football Association (TTFA) media on Tuesday during a national team session at the Larry Gomes Stadium in Malabar, Eve said it would be a plus to have Garcia back in the Soca Warriors set-up.

"I always keep my fingers crossed when Levi starts back to play, especially coming close to an international window. We haven't had the services of Levi at all for this tournament and the guys who are here are doing tremendously well in his absence," Eve said.

"If Levi is fully fit and back, that will be a bonus for us because he brings a lot of belief into the team. When he comes here, he is that type of character."

T&T will be on the road for the first leg when they play the US at Q2 Stadium in Austin, Texas on November 16, before hosting the Americans four days later at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo. With AEK playing two more games before the Fifa international window, Eve says Garcia is eager to find his footing.

"Levi wants to play. He wants to come back but we won't risk him if he can't. He is hoping he gets serious minutes in the next game and then we'll get to make a final and formal decision."

The US thumped T&T 6-0 in a 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup group stage match in July. Eve acknowledged the magnitude of the task ahead, but he says his team has changed.

"It's a very difficult task ahead. (USA) will play more of their European-based players to play the match. Also, we're different. They will have to look at us differently also because we are a different unit. Both sets of teams are going to change up dramatically I think."

Eve's current training squad comprises a heavy local presence, along with foreign-based players such as Neveal Hackshaw, Noah Powder and Malcolm Shaw. Eve says it's important to get his players up to speed before the quarter-final tie.

"(Our players) are fit but they are not football fit, so we're trying to replicate those kinds of things in training. They are out of the season for the most part – the guys who play in the States and the guys who are based here."

Eve will name his final squad on Sunday.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 11, 2023, 12:26:21 PM »
Soca Warriors coach on Nations League matches...Eve: All teams are dangerous
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

HEAD coach of the Soca Warriors Angus Eve knows that any team the US put on the field will a formidable one, despite missing marquee players for the upcoming Concacaf Nations League quarter-final matches. T&T and US will meet on Thursday and November 20.

Eve spoke to the media about the matches before a Soca Warriors training session at Larry Gomes Stadium in Malabar, Arima on Friday. The final T&T squad will be named on Sunday.

The first leg between US and T&T will be played in Austin, Texas on Thursday followed by the second leg on November 20 at Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo. The winner over the two legs will advance to the Nations League semi-finals and seal a spot at the 2024 Copa America.

Many of the familiar faces were seen training with the Soca Warriors on Friday with the likes of Duane Muckette, Michel Poon-Angeron, Alvin Jones, Brent Sam, John-Paul Rochford, Real Gill, Malcolm Shaw and goalkeeper Denzil Smith going through their paces.

American midfielders Christian Pulisic and Tim Weah have hamstring injuries and will be unavailable.

Pulisic and Weah are among the most talented US players, but Eve said the Americans have depth and it will be a challenge to overcome them.

Asked if Pulisic and Weah will hamper the US performance in the matches, Eve said, "Nope, because they have adequate cover all around the team. They picked 23 players and only one of them playing in the MLS (Major League Soccer). That tells you the type of depth that they have right now and they have a lot of players who are playing in top European clubs if you look throughout the squad that they pick, so no, I don't think that will hurt them in any way."

Eve said his players are raring to play.

"We are always up for a challenge. Every game that we played so far has been a tremendous challenge for the group," Eve said.

Eve and his technical staff are trying to keep the Soca Warriors match fit as most of the T&T players have not been playing often in the last few months as the TT Premier League is in the off season.

"It is well documented that the majority of our players are not in season right now...it makes the task a little harder, but we are going out there to fight and represent our country in the best way that we can."

The US have been a powerhouse in Concacaf over the past 20 years, along with Mexico and Costa Rica.

Eve still has confidence in his players, saying, "Sport is on the day. We believe in ourselves, you hear (the enthusiasm in) the boys back there. We have been on a good run, so we want to continue that run. It is going to take a lot of hard work and it is going to take tactical awareness and tactical fitness to get through the game because most of our players are not match fit as their players are. We have to be very smart in the way we play the game and give ourselves a fighting chance when we come back home and hopefully the crowd will be behind us."

Asked about the players Soca Warriors fans can expect in the squad, Eve said, "We have to try to pick most of the players who would have just finished playing, so they will have a semblance of match fitness and some of the players who are actually still playing. The team will probably be comprised of those type of players."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 11, 2023, 02:03:47 PM »
Squad named

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 12, 2023, 01:17:48 AM »
Underwhelming. I was holding out for a GG III call-up.  ::)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #359 on: November 12, 2023, 01:02:35 PM »
Sandy gets first senior team call...Garcia among 5 recalled
By Nigel Simon (T&T Guardian).

Goalkeeper Rushon Sandy, a former member of this country’s Under-20 men’s football teams, is the lone newcomer named in a 23-man squad by T&T Soca Warrior coach Angus Eve for the Concacaf Nations League first-leg quarterfinal away to two-time champions USA on Thursday (November 16) at Q2 Stadium, Texas from 10 (TT time).

T&T who qualified to the quarterfinals as the runner-up from their six-nation League A Group A round-robin qualifiers with three wins from four matches for nine points, one behind table-topper Panama, will then host the Americans at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo on November 20 from 8 pm.

USA currently holds a 21-3-4 all-time advantage against T&T. The teams last faced off in this year’s Concacaf Gold Cup with FC Dallas forward Jesus Ferreira registering a first-half hat trick in a 6-0 Gold Cup group stage victory for the US, while San Jose forward Cade Cowell, Venezia midfielder Gianluca Busio and FC Cincinnati forward Brandon Vazquez also found the back of the net.

The 20-year-old uncapped Sandy, who attends Yavapai College in the USA was a part of the national U-20 team led by coach Eve at last year’s Concacaf Men’s U-20 Championship in San Pedro Sula, Honduras but was third choice behind Tristan Edwards and Canada-based Jaheim Wickham and is yet to feature for T&T at any level.

Last month, the San Fernando-born Sandy was one of three Yavapai College men’s football team student-athletes, who garnered postseason honours in the Arizona Community College Athletic Conference (ACCAC), earning Second-Team All-Conference honours.

For the season, Sandy played in ten games for the Roughriders, starting in goal in nine of them, and picked up four victories in those matches and tallied one shutout.

His marquee victory of the season came on October 7 against Eastern Arizona when he made six saves and helped clinch a playoff spot for the Roughriders.

Apart from Sandy, coach Eve has also recalled the fit-again 25-year-old Greece-based striker Levi Garcia of AEK Athens after he missed all four Concacaf Nations League group matches through injury in September and October.

Garcia led AEK to the Greek League and Cup double last season, scoring 18 goals across all competitions, but has had a start-stop campaign so far only appearing in five out of 16 matches for his club, and is expected to feature today against Lamia before joining up with the Soca Warriors squad.

He was first injured on August 22 in a European Champions League Third Round first-leg away to Belgium’s Royal Antwerp, and only made his return almost a month later on September 21 in a clash with England’s Brighton & Hove in the opening round of the Europa League followed by a league clash with Panathinaikos four days later, in which he was replaced after 75 minutes due to injury.

However, the T&T captain at the Concacaf Gold Cup has since recovered and featured for his club in a 2-0 loss to France’s Marseille in the Europa League on Thursday, and along with Jamaica-based Nathaniel James, Canada-based Malcolm Shaw, USA-based Shannon Gomez, and Scotland-based Daniel Phillips will be welcomed back into the squad after they all missed the final group match in the Concacaf Nations League, a 5-3 away loss to Curacao on October 17.

Making way for Sandy and the returning players are Defence Force back-up goalkeeper Jabari St Hillaire, AC Port-of-Spain midfielders Tyrone Charles, and Duane Muckette, Defence Force midfielder Kevon Goddard, and Finland-based defender Kareem Moses.

The rest of the team selected by Eve includes goalkeepers and Defence Force duo Denzil Smith and Christopher Biggette, captain Aubrey David, Jesse Williams, Justin Garcia, Ross Russell Jr, Alvin Jones, Andre Raymond, Michael Poon-Angeron, Neveal Hackshaw, Noah Powder, Andre Rampersad, Kristian Lee-Him, Kaile Auvray, Reon Moore, Real Gill and Ryan Telfer.

In other Concacaf Nations League quarterfinals, Canada faces Jamaica, Mexico battles Honduras and Panama meets Costa Rica and at the end of the four home-and-away series, the four winners will not only advance to the Nations League final four in March next year but also will clinch their spots in next summer’s Copa America, the eminent South American competition, which will be held at venues in the USA.

The Angus Eve-coached T&T reached the quarterfinals having finished second in the six-team Group A qualifiers with nine points, with a 5-3 loss to Curacao in their final match on October 17, their only blemish.

The four losing quarterfinalists will still have an opportunity to qualify for Copa America 2024 via a single-match direct elimination play-in, where they will play for the two remaining slots awarded to Concacaf nations for the Copa America which will feature 10 CONMEBOL nations and six Concacaf nations.

T&T Concacaf Nations League squad for quarterfinals:

Goalkeepers:

Denzil Smith (Defence Force), Christopher Biggette (Denzil Smith), Rushon Sandy (Yavapai College/USA),

Defenders:

Aubrey David (CS Cartagines/Costa Rica), Jesse Williams (Central Valley Fuego/USA), Shannon Gomez (San Antonio FC/USA), Justin Garcia (Defence Force), Ross Russell Jr (La Horquetta Rangers), Alvin Jones (Tiger Tanks Club Sando), Andre Raymond (Vilar de Perdizes/Portugal)

Midfielders:

Michael Poon-Angeron (AC Port-of-Spain), Daniel Phillips (St Johnstone FC/Scotland), Neveal Hackshaw (Oakland Roots/USA), Noah Powder (North Colorado Hailstorm/USA), Andre Rampersad (HFC Wanderers/Canada), Kristiam Lee-Him (IFK Eskilstuna/Sweden), Kaile Auvray (Mount Pleasant/Jamaica)

Forwards:

Reon Moore (Defence Force), Malcolm Shaw (Atletico Ottawa/Canada), Real Gill (Tiger Tanks Club Sando), Levi Garcia (AEK Athens/Greece), Natahniel James (Mount Pleasant/Jamaica), Ryan Telfer (Miami FC/USA).

Coach:

Angus Eve.

1]; } ?>