April 27, 2024, 12:17:24 PM

Author Topic: 2022/23 Concacaf Nations League Thread  (Read 37153 times)

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2022/23 Concacaf Nations League Thread
« Reply #480 on: November 21, 2023, 01:19:06 PM »
Lil damo that is a good point.

Canadian Premier League has benefited us a lot. Teller, Rampersad, Shaw, Singh and A. Garcia, have raked in a lot of minutes there.

Reon Moore, now that is what I call overlooked or ignored talent. He'll tear up the Canadian Premier League and the USL easily. He's strong and fast. Can't recall seeing a player like that for the NT in a long time.

I feel some players go get a look after yesterday's performance. Denzil Smith and Reon Moore can be a good find for a team needing a good keeper and an attacking mid who can play striker.

No Levi Garcia. . I think that scoreline would have been 3 or 4 to 1.

Anyone see Panama and Costa Rica yesterday? If Mexico win, we might get Costa Rica. I like our chances of that is the case.

I don't think concacaf wants to chance it with Mexico. If alyuh know wat I mean.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 21, 2023, 04:26:44 PM »
Lil damo that is a good point.

Canadian Premier League has benefited us a lot. Teller, Rampersad, Shaw, Singh and A. Garcia, have raked in a lot of minutes there.

Reon Moore, now that is what I call overlooked or ignored talent. He'll tear up the Canadian Premier League and the USL easily. He's strong and fast. Can't recall seeing a player like that for the NT in a long time.

I feel some players go get a look after yesterday's performance. Denzil Smith and Reon Moore can be a good find for a team needing a good keeper and an attacking mid who can play striker.

No Levi Garcia. . I think that scoreline would have been 3 or 4 to 1.

Anyone see Panama and Costa Rica yesterday? If Mexico win, we might get Costa Rica. I like our chances of that is the case.

I don't think concacaf wants to chance it with Mexico. If alyuh know wat I mean.
you meant when mexico wins, honduras got lucky on Saturday and will suffer a crushing defeat tonight in Mexico.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 21, 2023, 04:47:24 PM »
Congrats to the lads, they really played their hearts out. I only hope this will continue and not abate after this victory, as we saw so many times before.

they need to play with this intensity in every game against every opponent, and not only show up when we pay a top notch team. btw andre Raymond though, what a find!

i think I also mentioned before that your chances of winning relies on the efforts of your goal keeper 50% of the time, and I’m really loving this young smart capable goal keeper, he’s a real welcome change.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 21, 2023, 05:21:58 PM »
Our right and left backs are important. We seen how Curacao exploited the corners when we were short of Gomez and Raymond.

Experiment with Andre Raymond as the clean up defensive midfield man. I'm sure he can hold that position down too.

Mexico can put past 3 to Honduras. When Mexico dont score early against teams they supposed to beat, they get frustrated. Once they get a goal in the first half, they will beat Honduras.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 21, 2023, 06:06:14 PM »
So they have a play-in game in March so that they can go in the Copa American. So what is the Haddad and company going to do for the national team in the meantime. They have enough time to bring this team up to par so that they can win against whichever team we get. The last time an occasion like this presented itself to was was a couple years ago, when we lost to Haiti in Panama for that very position. Hart and Williams were at loggerheads. So I say to the committee don't f**kup this time around.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 07:23:38 PM by Deeks »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 21, 2023, 08:36:05 PM »
Good win JA.

This means we might get Canada.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 21, 2023, 10:43:07 PM »
Or Mexico
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 21, 2023, 11:38:34 PM »
Looks like it's Honduras.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 21, 2023, 11:51:37 PM »
Canada we playing according to Wikipedia

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 22, 2023, 12:45:00 AM »
Canada is the toughest test out of Honduras and Costa Rica…I was hoping we get Costa Rica, and would have probably preferred Mexíco over Honduras.
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 22, 2023, 01:23:12 AM »
Yup Canada on March 23rd in Dallas

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 22, 2023, 07:07:48 AM »
This thing confusing. One source say it is Canada. This is based on Concacaf rankings. Then I was just reading that they rank them based on their performance in the quarter finals. This is how they ranked the semi finalist for the finals. If that's true, then we playing Honduras.

Offline hg495

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 22, 2023, 08:30:21 AM »
I dont matter who we play because if we want to play against the best we have to win against who ever you put us to play from this region. It can be done.
if yuh never get ah buss toe playing small goal den yuh never play football in trini when yuh was small hehehehe

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 22, 2023, 02:53:38 PM »
Is there a chance that we can get Molino back on Eve's side and apologise for Trinidad & Tob's sake.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 22, 2023, 06:47:58 PM »
Who should apologize? Molino or Eve? (Ah couldn't resist!!!! ;D
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: November 22, 2023, 06:56:48 PM »
@Frico, I say forget Molino. If anyone is to come back, it's Bateau.

Canada is beatable. With a fit Garcia, we can do it.

Btw, Rampersad and Phillips are starting to take more ownership of the mid field. They're chemistry will be important. Phillips needs to watch his tackles though.

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 22, 2023, 07:40:51 PM »
I enjoyed watching Molino over the years but he looked finished in the last few games he played for us. He served the shirt well and worked hard for us but I don’t think he can contribute at this level. We have young and upcoming players that need those minutes.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 23, 2023, 06:15:25 AM »
Let the youths run the ball...it's their time to get seasoned...end of an era...for Molino and company

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 23, 2023, 10:12:11 AM »
Gawd On Pitch

Why is reon moore still in the local league  then ? lets  put the defender  garcia also ....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 23, 2023, 12:52:16 PM »
gawd on pitch,thanks for the feedback it gives me a better understanding of our players and where they are,thank mate.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 12:54:54 PM by frico »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 23, 2023, 01:49:19 PM »
Trini_2026, it has to do with scouting and having a good agent. There are other players who aren't as talented as Reon, that are playing outside TT in better leagues.

@frico dat cool patna
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 07:20:30 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 23, 2023, 06:50:07 PM »
Eve on Copa playoff vs Canada: 'Yuh cyah play mas and fraid powder'
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday)

Trinidad and Tobago men's football team coach Angus Eve has embraced the Soca Warriors' March 2024 Copa America playoff match-up with Canada, saying "Yuh cyah play mas and fraid powder."

After T&T lost their Concacaf Nations League (CNL) A 2023/24 quarter-final tie to the defending champions US on Monday, Eve watched on with anticipation as his team's Copa 2024 playoff opponents were determined after two frantic quarter-finals on Tuesday night. Mexico overturned a two-goal first leg deficit against Honduras as they got a 4-2 penalty shootout victory at the famed Azteca Stadium following a last-minute 2-0 win in the second leg. Meanwhile, Jamaica created history away to Canada as they got a 3-2 second-leg win to clinch their Copa 2024 spot via the away goal ruling. Jamaica will be making their third appearance in the Copa competition, while this will be their first-ever appearance in the CNL semis.

Tuesday night's results have paved the way for the Warriors' meeting in Frisco, Texas with the highest-ranked CNL losing quarter-finalist – Canada. The Canadians are ranked 45th by Fifa. T&T are ranked 99th.

Eve told Newsday, at this stage of the competition, his team has to be prepared to come up against any opposition.

"All the teams are ranked higher than us so whoever we play we have to go there and be confident and do what we have been doing," Eve said. "T&T being here and in the final eight of Concacaf and having the opportunity to play – it has come a bit faster than we expected – but the Lord gives you what you deserve."

Eve said T&T are back in their rightful place in Concacaf's football landscape.

"We said we wanted to be in Concacaf Nations League A and we knew there was a great possibility of us playing the US, Mexico, Canada or Jamaica again. This is where we want to be so why cry about it. We have to play these games. As we say in T&T, 'you cyah play mas and fraid powder.'

"We have to play these teams and this is a stepping-stone to something we have never done before. We are going to grab the opportunity with both hands."

Eve said Canada has a very strong outfit and he pinpointed their key players such as Ligue One forward Jonathan David, La Liga's Cyle Larin and Bayern Munich's star flanker Alphonso Davies.

"Canada are a more cohesive unit and they try to play structural football with a lot of gold dust sprinkled in the middle of it. The US game would have given us a lot of confidence playing against guys who are at the highest level. The guys will be better for it and they will feel more comfortable in that type of environment.

"In international football, you need to be more proactive than reactive – and that is transition football. We have to be more proactive than reactive and I think we should be okay."

Eve says the process of integrating younger players is ongoing. but he is pleased with the strides the Warriors have made since their group stage exit at the 2023 Gold Cup. He still feels as though his inexperienced players need greater exposure outside of the Fifa international windows though.

"For the 2023 Gold Cup, we decided to take the more experienced players and that was on the back of a win against Guatemala in a pre-Gold Cup friendly with more of a locally based team. The tournament did not go too well.

"Although we were blooding young players throughout and playing them in bits and pieces, we felt the (Concacaf) Nations League was the right time to revamp and go with these players. We thought it was the right time to change the team and to revamp the team and start to look more futuristic with the team."

Eve's current contract ends in March 2024. The TT coach is grateful to the TT Football Association (TTFA) for a second chance.

"A lot of people may have probably fired me after the Gold Cup. The normalisation committee showed trust in us and they gave us the opportunity. Nobody in (T&T) expected us to win any of the games. We have won four out of the six (Concacaf) Nations League games so far. I think the crowd is coming back and the confidence is coming back into the team."

On March 23, 2024, Eve and the Warriors will get another chance to measure their progress in the region when they meet Canada in a winner-take-all Copa 2024 playoff.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 23, 2023, 06:55:05 PM »
Ex-Strike Squad defender Brian Williams lauds Eve's attacking style
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

Former Strike Squad defender Brian Williams believes Trinidad and Tobago’s senior football team must use their recent 2-1 victory over the USA as motivation ahead of their March 23 clash against Canada, for a final chance to qualify for the 2024 Copa America.

The veteran Williams applauded head coach Angus Eve’s more attacking style in Monday’s Concacaf Nations League second-leg at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

The tactical change, a total turnaround compared to the all-out defensive first leg in Texas last Thursday, generated a welcome win for the Soca Warriors.

The positive result nevertheless saw T&T miss out on advancing to the Nations League semi-final round and automatic Copa qualification, since the Aubrey David-captained squad lost on aggregate, after going down 3-0 in the first quarter-final.

Looking back at victory, Williams said it was a good result.

“A win against the US is always a good one for us. Looking at the performances over both legs, I think the second leg was an improved performance. What I like is that we took a little more risk in terms of offence.

“I still thought that after the red card (Sergino Dest, 39 minutes), we should have a little more thrust offensively, in terms of trying to get the result that would have made us automatically qualify for Copa America.”

In the first leg, T&T midfielder Noah Powder was ejected after picking up two yellow cards in the space of 20 minutes in the first half. Eve then had to take a defensive approach for the rest of the match, as the US pressed further for the opener.

Ten-man T&T held out for 80 minutes but USA broke the deadlock, and slotted three past standout goalkeeper Denzil Smith,

Williams wants the never-say-die attitude of the second leg repeated, or even amplified, when T&T face Canada in a one-match playoff.

“I know there’s a process, we’re building.

"I want to compliment Angus and his staff. I know most people, and myself sometimes, we were a bit critical about the length of time we defended. But the coach knows best on how we could get results.

“And we on the outside would like to see a little more creativity and expression of our players. But I think it’s something for us to build on. We’re one win away from qualifying for the Copa and I hope we can approach that properly. At the end of the day, the objective is to go forward and improve our football.”

On Sunday, the day before T&T’s 2-1 triumph, Williams and fellow Strike Squad teammates marked 34 years since their 1-0 defeat against the US that sent the Americans and not TT to the 1990 World Cup in Italy.

Needing one point to secure an historic first-ever World Cup appearance, the side, coached by former national star Everald “Gally” Cummings, could not find an equaliser for Paul Caligiuri’s 30th-minute goal.

Speaking on behalf of the 1989 team, Williams said every member of that squad remains ready and willing to assist the senior team in any way possible, to improve T&T’s football at all levels.

“This is what we’re (Strike Squad members) here for, the continued support of T&T football, continued development. That’s why most of us are involved in some way or the other in coaching somewhere, or could carry some type of advice or mentorship to our youngsters.

“We celebrated 34 years as a team, and that is very unique and peculiar. Because I cannot recall any national team that stays friends and work together, after 34 years. This is our role in T&T football presently. We will continue to do that once Jah provide life.”

All four losing Concacaf Nations League quarterfinalists play one match on March 23, 2024, to decide which two final teams advances to the Copa America. T&T will play Canada while Honduras go up against Costa Rica on the same day. Venues are yet to be announced.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 24, 2023, 11:07:20 AM »
“Yuh cyah play mas an fraid powder.”

I will be using this phrase daily with my gringo co workers…love it!!!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 24, 2023, 11:26:18 AM »
Waiting for the win
By Marlon Miller (T&T Express)

SOME of us had been waiting on what happened last Monday night for 34 years and a day.

Not many who were at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, then the National Stadium, on Sunday, November 19, 1989, would have made it to the Ato Boldon Stadium on a rainy midweek night in October 2017, when Trinidad and Tobago’s Soca Warriors registered a rare victory and put the hurt on the United States, thus ending their well-laid plans of qualifying for the 2018 Russia World Cup.

In an ironic twist, T&T proved that revenge really is a dish best served cold and denied Uncle Sam’s men getting to the Copa Mundial 28 years after the Americans had done the same thing to us on the Road to Italy 1990, when coach Gally Cummings and the Strike Squad needed a solitary point to confirm this country’s first-ever appearance at football’s greatest show, but lost 1-0.

We got no reward for derailing them six years ago, then languishing in the lower half of the six-team qualifying group with no chance of getting to Russia, so it was a sort of bittersweet feeling, more sweet than bitter, but we weren’t getting ahead of them in the standings and going anywhere with their demise.

To beat the mighty USA, though, was special and those fortunate local souls who made the trip to Couva back then could tell their grandchildren about that night’s supreme upset, which will haunt the Red, White and Blue for years to come.

They’ve asserted their superiority since then, with fistfuls of goals in CONCACAF Gold Cup encounters and now in the Nations League quarter-finals they came here with a three-goal advantage that would be hard to overturn. But we live in hope. Well, maybe not everyone.

Just on the way to the game Monday, twice I heard the question: “How much you think we go get tonight?”

The first time I started to answer “maybe two” but stopped, preferring to think positive for once, then didn’t respond on the second occasion and headed into the venue with blind optimism that the ghosts of 1989 would be laid to rest.

Of course, there wasn’t a packed, or rather oversold, house like it was way back when but, with more than 9,000 fans in attendance, there was the usual boisterous atmosphere in the stadium on an international football night in Port of Spain.

The eastern side of the ground was awash with red, and flags both big and small, and this time the rhythm section from Fyzabad, One Love One Song, had moved down in front there from their usual spot on the north-western corner. And they didn’t miss a beat.

It didn’t take long for all that enthusiasm to be tempered, though, when Antonee Robinson popped up in the area and put the visitors ahead in the 25th minute.

And someone said the stadium was quiet like it was in Ahmedabad last Sunday when hosts India lost their only game of the 2023 Cricket World Cup.

But it’s never still for long in Trinidad and the band was soon back up and running and soon after, on the other side, there was Sergino Dest kicking the ball far away in disgust over a call by the referee and drawing a yellow card... then there was another card and he was off, taking a long walk behind his goal and down the side to the dressing room, accompanied by a chorus of boos.

“Now they dead!” a voice shouted a few rows back and, sure enough, just four minutes later, Reon Moore went sprinting up the right side and banged the ball past a rather ineffectual Matt Turner in the US goal for the equaliser.

That was delightful. And there were smiles and high fives all around and the previous disjointed attempts at a Mexican wave soon came together as we awaited more goals.

There was only one more to come—from a free kick just outside the area by Alvin Jones, which Turner could also have done better with—but it was all we needed to earn the victory that now middle-aged people like me had not seen often enough over the years, at least not live and alive in the HC Stadium, the scene of all those tears that fateful Sunday afternoon in ’89, when overconfidence might have been our main downfall.

There’s a whole new generation of players now, including the likes of goalkeeper Denzil Smith and ­striker Nathaniel James, coached by the effervescent Angus Eve, and they can only get better with games like these, showing their mettle in the previous Nations League home match against Guatemala to fight back from two goals down to earn a 3-2 win.

So while the USA marches onto the 2024 Copa America, all is not lost for T&T with a one-off qualifier against Canada to look forward to in Texas next March to try to join the big guns in that illustrious tournament.

Hopefully, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association can find a few useful opponents to warm up against in preparation for that crucial clash with the Canadians.

In the meantime, we can all savour this latest triumph against T&T’s arch-rival, as some of us did after the game not far from the stadium, with the beers flowing long into the night on Ariapita Avenue.

Cheers to the Red, White and Black!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 24, 2023, 02:34:19 PM »
People hyped about this result eh
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 24, 2023, 03:56:19 PM »
I have been extremely critical of Angus Eve as I don't see him as a good choice for national coach for the senior team. However, he continues to get good results despite the various challenges of working in Trinidad football. His "strategic" approach to the game and the team style of play do not appear to be feasible at the international level but he continues to get good results so I have to hush my mouth and quietly support the team  :).

We need to strengthen our player pool so hopefully there is a strong effort in that area to help us be competitive in the Copa America if we qualify and be ready to for WCQs.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 24, 2023, 07:20:52 PM »
I am on the fence with being hyped about this win. I think fans realize that the US has the potential to beat us with 10 men. But we pulled it off. Not only did we win, but we started to take over the game from the US. It wasn't a fluke win.

Real madness I agree with you. We looked bad during the first Curacao game. But we win that. I thought that was luck. The El Salvador game, we was down early, we come back and win. That's when I realize that Eve doing something right. Next game with Guatemala, same thing. Based on the results over this campaign, Eve has won my support. However, he needs to really take inventory of his approach. The starting line up of the last game, was a step in the right direction.

I think the US and TT should play eachother as preparation for their games in March. It makes sense.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 25, 2023, 11:29:01 AM »
Gawd what about the second Curacao game?

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 25, 2023, 01:28:55 PM »
Eve had the tactics off. We all seen that at the beginning of the match.

1]; } ?>