March 28, 2024, 03:49:14 AM

Author Topic: 2022 Concacaf U-17 Women's Championship Thread  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
2022 Concacaf U-17 Women's Championship Thread
« on: March 13, 2022, 11:16:28 AM »
Spence prepares U-17 Women for Concacaf series.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago Women’s U-17 head coach Jason Spence gave an update on Thursday on the current state of preparations of the Women’s U-17s ahead of the CONCACAF U-17 Women’s Championship scheduled for Santo Domingo from April 23rd.

T&T is in Group E alongside Mexico, Panama and Nicaragua

The first round of qualifying for the 2022 CWU17 took place from October 20 to November 1, 2021, at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, FL, USA. The 10 participating teams were split into three groups. After round robin play, the three group winners; Saint Kitts and Nevis (Group A), Curaçao (Group B) and Honduras (Group C), as well as the best ranked second-place finisher (based on a weighted points system), Guyana (Group B), advanced directly to the Knockout Stage of the 2022 CWU17.

The CWU17 Championship will be disputed in two rounds, beginning with a 16-team group stage. After round robin play, the top three teams in each group will advance to the knockout stage joining the four best teams from CWU17 Qualifying.

The Groups are as follows:

Group E: Mexico, Trinidad & Tobago, Panama, Nicaragua

Group F: Canada, Jamaica, Bermuda, Dominican Republic

Group G: United States, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Grenada

Group H: Haiti, Guatemala, El Salvador, Cuba

The knockout stage of the competitions (round of 16, quarterfinals, semifinals, third place match and final) will all be played in a single match direct elimination format.

At the conclusion of the event, the champion, runner-up and third place finisher will qualify for the 2022 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup in India in October of 2022.

The United States is the current champion (fourth title overall) of the CWU17 following a 3-2 win over Mexico in the 2018 Final.

Watch Spence prepares U-17 Women for next month's CONCACAF Championship

« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 08:31:11 PM by Tallman »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Concacaf U-17 Women's Championship Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 06:57:30 AM »
RE: U-17s

The most favored and preferred grouping. Let's see if we conspire to screw it up.

Anyone see a squad list? The other nations have released their squads. By now CONCACAF would have had the rosters. Why is it a treasure hunt to locate T&T's representatives?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 04:37:12 PM by Tallman »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 10:18:00 AM »

Ironically, players based abroad have been playing more football than those based in T&T. The list has three players with foreign affiliation (1 Canada, 2 US).

12 players of the 20 are 2005 birth year.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 04:37:03 PM by Tallman »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2022, 12:36:35 PM »
Under-17 footballers inspired by Women Warriors’ resilience
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

THE national Under-17 girls football team plan to use the performance of the senior women’s football team as inspiration as they compete at the 2022 Concacaf Women’s Under-17 Championship in the Dominican Republic.

The tournament will kick off on Saturday and ends on May 8.

The top three teams in the tournament will qualify for the 2022 Fifa Under-17 Women’s World Cup in India, which will be played from October 11-30.

T&T will play in Group E alongside Nicaragua, Panama and Mexico.

T&T will battle Panama in their opening match, at the Estadio Olimpico Felix Sanchez, in Santo Domingo, on Saturday.

On April 12, the senior women’s footballers booked a place in the 2022 Concacaf Women’s Championship.

Needing at least a draw against Guyana, T&T got a goal in stoppage time from Lauryn Hutchinson to pull off a 2-2 draw at the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet, Tobago.

On Tuesday, speaking to the media during a training session at the St James Police Barracks, Under-17 head coach Jason Spence said, “We have discussed the senior women’s game (against Guyana) because we would have all looked at it. We would have discussed it and went into depth and I brought it to their attention saying, ‘Hey, we are going to be playing down to the last minute no matter what.’ We have seen how that has been able to bring us some favourable results.”

Midfielder Angel Berot said, “We look up to our senior women as we play against them, they talk to us so we watch (them) and we learn their tactics so we try our best to follow in their footsteps.”

T&T UNDER-17 SQUAD

Goalkeepers:

Sadiel Antoine, Shaunda Sheppard, Alexandra Ennals

Defenders:

Cicely-Ann Wickham, Faith Alexander, Trischell Charles, Tayeann Wylie, Shadea Andrewa, Emily Nanton, Makeba Morang

Midfielders:

Angel Berot, Marley Walker, Nikita Jackson, Arie Bhagan, Hannah Viera, Aliyah Hudlin, Jeniecia Benjamin

Strikers:

Jhelysse Anthony, Breanna Smith, Jada Graham

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2022, 04:34:20 PM »
U-17 women aim for better showing
By Garth Wattley (T&T Express)

National Under-17 women’s team head coach Jason Spence hopes his team can succeed the counter-attacking way when they play Mexico, Panama and Nicaragua in the upcoming CONCACAF Championship.

The squad leaves today for Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, where they will contest the tough Group E, beginning Saturday. The Championship serves as part of qualifying for the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup in India in October. Spence recently took charge of the Under-20 team that lost all their group matches in qualifying. But the coach expects a bit better from his Under-17 charges.

“In terms of results, we always hope to get good results. In terms of performances, I’m really hoping to get a better performance out of this group,” he told the media yesterday ahead of his side’s final practice match against Police women at the St James Barracks. “We started with both groups (U-17 and U-20) at the same time and they were able to get a couple more weeks in…We got more practice games in with this group so that would put us in a better place right now.”

The Under-17s’ match preparation included games against boys’ teams. However, Spence noted: “If I had gotten about two more months I would have felt more comfortable.”

In particular, the T&T coach is keen for his players to play with a positive attitude in Santo Domingo. “In the way we play I’m just looking for them to be a little more confident. Confidence comes with playing more…so it’s really from the confidence factor that I would have liked to be in a better place right now.”

But Spence has no complaints about the attitude of his group. “They have really opened up their minds and they’ve really absorbed what we are trying to put to them and they have responded quite well,” he said. However, don’t expect T&T to try to go toe-to-toe with their Central American opponents.

“Those three teams have similar styles in the way they play and a lot of our preparation would have been towards the way they play and being able to nullify what they would bring to us. We would have set up a little bit more defensive just to try to make sure we protect ourselves and then we open up with the chances that we get,” he said.

T&T’s first match will be against Panama on Saturday and for that game Spence said: “We are trying to see how best we can come off with at least the point we would have gone into the game with. That I think is going to give us the confidence to move on.”

T&T Womens's U-17 Squad

Goalkeepers:
Sadiel Antoine (Central FC), Shaunda Sheppard (Jewels FC), Alexandra Ennals (St. Joseph's Convent)

Defenders:
Cicely Anne Spencer-Wickham (Vaughan SC-CAN), Faith Alexander (All Stars FC), Trischelle Charles (West Side Academy), Tayeann Wylie (Premier FC), Shadea Andrews (Black Panthers WSC), Emily Nanton (Pro Series Events), Makeba Morang (St. Augustine FC)

Midfielders:
Angel Berot (Maracas FC),  Marley Walker (Charleston SC-USA), Nikita Jackson (Sting SC-USA), Arie Bhagan (St. Joseph's Convent), Hannah Vieira (Pro Series Events), Aliyah Hudlin (Cox Coaching School), Jenecia Benjamin (West Side Academy)

Forwards:
Jhelysse Anthony (International SC-USA), Breana Smith (Laventille United), Jada Graham (Black Panthers WSC)

Head Coach Spence looks ahead to Concacaf U-17 Championship in Santo Domingo

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kK1L7mAmSsY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kK1L7mAmSsY</a>
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 04:38:06 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2022, 11:47:28 PM »

Ironically, players based abroad have been playing more football than those based in T&T. The list has three four players with foreign affiliation (1 Canada, 2 3 US).

12 players of the 20 are 2005 birth year.

Inadvertently excluded Jhelysse Anthony in the initial count, despite being aware of her inclusion.

Four is a notable # relative to the opposition, but we must still improve on the approaches to blending. If there is a commitment to blending.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 11:49:14 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2022, 11:53:24 PM »
U-17 women aim for better showing
By Garth Wattley (T&T Express)

National Under-17 women’s team head coach Jason Spence hopes his team can succeed the counter-attacking way when they play Mexico, Panama and Nicaragua in the upcoming CONCACAF Championship.

The squad leaves today for Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, where they will contest the tough Group E, beginning Saturday. The Championship serves as part of qualifying for the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup in India in October. Spence recently took charge of the Under-20 team that lost all their group matches in qualifying. But the coach expects a bit better from his Under-17 charges.

“In terms of results, we always hope to get good results. In terms of performances, I’m really hoping to get a better performance out of this group,” he told the media yesterday ahead of his side’s final practice match against Police women at the St James Barracks. “We started with both groups (U-17 and U-20) at the same time and they were able to get a couple more weeks in…We got more practice games in with this group so that would put us in a better place right now.”

The Under-17s’ match preparation included games against boys’ teams. However, Spence noted: “If I had gotten about two more months I would have felt more comfortable.”

In particular, the T&T coach is keen for his players to play with a positive attitude in Santo Domingo. “In the way we play I’m just looking for them to be a little more confident. Confidence comes with playing more…so it’s really from the confidence factor that I would have liked to be in a better place right now.”

But Spence has no complaints about the attitude of his group. “They have really opened up their minds and they’ve really absorbed what we are trying to put to them and they have responded quite well,” he said. However, don’t expect T&T to try to go toe-to-toe with their Central American opponents.

“Those three teams have similar styles in the way they play and a lot of our preparation would have been towards the way they play and being able to nullify what they would bring to us. We would have set up a little bit more defensive just to try to make sure we protect ourselves and then we open up with the chances that we get,” he said.

T&T’s first match will be against Panama on Saturday and for that game Spence said: “We are trying to see how best we can come off with at least the point we would have gone into the game with. That I think is going to give us the confidence to move on.”

T&T Womens's U-17 Squad

Goalkeepers:
Sadiel Antoine (Central FC), Shaunda Sheppard (Jewels FC), Alexandra Ennals (St. Joseph's Convent)

Defenders:
Cicely Anne Spencer-Wickham (Vaughan SC-CAN), Faith Alexander (All Stars FC), Trischelle Charles (West Side Academy), Tayeann Wylie (Premier FC), Shadea Andrews (Black Panthers WSC), Emily Nanton (Pro Series Events), Makeba Morang (St. Augustine FC)

Midfielders:
Angel Berot (Maracas FC),  Marley Walker (Charleston SC-USA), Nikita Jackson (Sting SC-USA), Arie Bhagan (St. Joseph's Convent), Hannah Vieira (Pro Series Events), Aliyah Hudlin (Cox Coaching School), Jenecia Benjamin (West Side Academy)

Forwards:
Jhelysse Anthony (International SC-USA), Breana Smith (Laventille United), Jada Graham (Black Panthers WSC)

Head Coach Spence looks ahead to Concacaf U-17 Championship in Santo Domingo

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kK1L7mAmSsY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kK1L7mAmSsY</a>

I accept everything the coach has stated. Yet, nothing here exudes confidence. Hopefully that context is not seeping subtly to the players.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2022, 03:51:56 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago U-17 Women's Assistant Coach Dernelle Mascall and U-17 midfielder Angel Berot talk about the upcoming Concacaf U-17 Women's Championship in Santo Domingo.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HfNvOHuYIBc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HfNvOHuYIBc</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 05:34:25 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago U-17 Women's Assistant Coach Dernelle Mascall and U-17 midfielder Angel Berot talk about the upcoming Concacaf U-17 Women's Championship in Santo Domingo.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HfNvOHuYIBc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HfNvOHuYIBc</a>

1. The pandemic affected the entire world, but its sporting impacts have not been democratic. Therefore, it is not the case that the opponents have been equally or necessarily similarly inconvenienced.

2. There should be no straightfaced mention of tiki taka with respect to an actual style of play to be delivered by this team. I am FULLY confident what will be displayed will not be tiki taka --- even if ambitions regarding possessing the ball are realized.

It seems sort of a casual, passing, throwaway comment by the assistant coach - who I have a lot of time for - but it does not stand up to rigorous examination.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 05:36:00 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2022, 11:17:15 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago Under-17 women seek confidence boost vs Panama in Concacaf Women’s opener
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

COACH OF the Trinidad and Tobago women’s Under-17 football team Jason Spence is eyeing at least a draw in their opening match of the Concacaf Women’s Under-17 Championships as it will be a confidence booster for the remainder of the tournament.

T&T are in Group C alongside Panama, Mexico and Nicaragua. T&T will play Panama at 4 pm on Saturday at the Felix Sanchez Olympic Stadium.

Following that match, T&T will face Nicaragua at 4 pm on Monday, before closing off the group phase with a match against Mexico at 7pm, on Wednesday.

The top three teams in the 20-team tournament will qualify for the 2022 FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup in India. The World Cup will be held from October 11-30.

On Tuesday, speaking about the opening match during a training session at the St James Police Barracks, Spence said, “Definitely we are trying to see how best we can come out with at least the point that we would have gone into the game with. That I think is going to give us the confidence to be able to move on.”

Spence said T&T’s training has been geared towards the teams they will face in Group C.

“Those three teams have similar styles in the way they play and a lot of our preparation would have been towards the way they play and being able to nullify what they would bring to us…we would set up a little bit more defensive, just to try to make sure we protect ourselves and then we open up with the chances that we get.”

Assistant coach Dernelle Mascall has been guiding the T&T Under-17 players for years.

Mascall said, “This group in particular I have known them since they were 14…I have worked with them at the Under-15 level and now it is grand to see them grow and mature as far along as they have, so we looking forward to a good tournament.”

Speaking more about the progress of the players, the former T&T midfielder said, “If we consider the (covid19) pandemic that threw us a bit back…when you look at these girls from where they began to where they are now I can certainly say I am proud of their development.”

Mascall wants her team to show character if they concede a goal first.

“As a team playing football you don’t want to be scored on, but what I will like to see if we were to go a goal down I will like to see how the girls react…this will show us exactly where they stand when we are on our back foot to see how they mature and continue playing.”

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2022, 02:23:34 PM »
Another unfortunate episode is what is unfolding now vs Panama. T&T trails 1-0. Panama have been living in our half.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2022, 02:36:55 PM »
A self-inflicted wound leads to 2-0. Basic error.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2022, 02:43:30 PM »
I was going and ask for a link for the non-locals, but it seems like I better off going and watch Valencia them in the Copa Del Rey and pick up with the slaughter on YouTube later.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2022, 02:57:42 PM »
I was going and ask for a link for the non-locals, but it seems like I better off going and watch Valencia them in the Copa Del Rey and pick up with the slaughter on YouTube later.

3-0 now at HT against the 17s.

Yeah, I too sacrificed the Copa del Rey for this. Iz 1-1 at half time, so you can still get the heights of the match as everything is still on the line.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2022, 03:16:09 PM »

Yeah, I too sacrificed the Copa del Rey for this. Iz 1-1 at half time, so you can still get the heights of the match as everything is still on the line.

So when it have things to talk about and improve on. Remember allyuh could only speak of what y’all watched. Thanks.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2022, 03:24:15 PM »

So when it have things to talk about and improve on. Remember allyuh could only speak of what y’all watched. Thanks.

4-1

Dahis why I have two screens active.  ;) And also why ah send Fyzo and stayed.

The commentator says we have learned our playing out of the back lesson.  :rotfl:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2022, 04:12:59 PM »
FINAL: Trinidad and Tobago U-17 Women (Breana Smith 48') 1-5 Panama (Delineth Rivera 21'; Daniela Hincapié 33', 41', 59'; Ninelys Castrellón90'+2).

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 08:28:05 PM by Tallman »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2022, 06:02:37 AM »
WATCH: Highlights of Trinidad and Tobago U-17 Women's 5-1 loss to Panama

WATCH: Flash Zone | Breana Smith

Daniela Hincapié scored a hat trick. Hincapié is a Spanish word for 'emphasis'. The Panamanian media is probably having a ball with that "emphatic victory" ... "emphatic hat trick" ... Hacer hincapié" etc.

As a goalscoring forward she could be an editor's dream. Good thing there isn't a Hincapié on Mexico's roster. The headlines would be abusive.  :)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 06:05:06 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2022, 11:21:03 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago Women U-17s fall 5-1 to Panama in Concacaf Women’s Championships
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

Trinidad and Tobago women’s Under-17 football team lost 5-1 to Panama in their opening match of the Concacaf Women’s Under-17 Championship at Felix Sanchez Olympic Stadium in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, on Saturday.

T&T could not match the speed of Panama and were pinned in their half for the majority of the match.

Panama were not shy to shoot from outside the 18-yard box throughout the contest.

Panama attacked the T&T goal from the opening whistle and were eventually rewarded in the 21st minute as Delineth Rivera’s 30-yard effort beat the T&T goalkeeper.

In the 27th minute, Sherline King of Panama attempted a shot from outside the box, but this time it could only find the side netting.

Panama continued to dominate the action and doubled their advantage in the 33rd minute.

T&T defender Makeba Morang failed to clear the ball properly and could only find Daniela Hincapie who converted from 12 yards out.

As the first half came to a close, Hincapie made it 3-0 for Panama in the 41st minute.

After a cross from the left side, Hincapie chested the ball into the goal. The T&T goalkeeper came off her line to gather the ball, but Hincapie got to the ball first.

Panama were cruising at halftime 3-0.

T&T got something to smile about when Breanna Smith found the back of the net.

Panama gave the ball away and Smith collected the ball 30 yards from goal and showed awareness to see goalkeeper Yurisel Ortega off her line. It was a brilliant execution by the T&T striker.

Panama restored their three-goal cushion when Hincapie completed her hat-trick. She received a through ball and toe-poked the ball into the net from ten yards out.

T&T continued to be on the back foot for the remainder of the match as Panama kept the intensity.

Panama capped off the scoring with a goal in stoppage time.

Panama ended the match with 35 shots compared to just one by T&T. In terms of possession, T&T only had the ball 26 per cent of the time.

T&T will have to rebound quickly as they face Nicaragua on Monday, from 4 pm.

T&T will battle Mexico on Wednesday, from 7 pm in their final match in Group C.

The top three teams in the 20-team tournament will qualify for the 2022 FIFA Under-17 Women’s World Cup in India. The World Cup will be held from October 11-30.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2022, 02:38:40 PM »
That horrible Nicaragua team is dominant against T&T. I'm sorry for when these girls play Mexico

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2022, 03:27:27 PM »
We have an issue managing the field. It almost seems too big for us, despite the age group.

4-0 btw.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2022, 03:54:03 PM »
FINAL: Nicaragua U-17 Women (Adriana Munguia 3', Daniela Manzanares 24', Jenifer Sarantes 45'+1, Stella Villalta 67') 4-0 Trinidad and Tobago.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2022, 05:28:21 PM »
Nicaragua puts T&T’s U-17 Warriors on brink of elimination
T&T Newsday Reports.

T&T’s Under-17 Women Warriors will need to pull off a huge upset in their final match against Mexico on Wednesday from 7 pm to advance to the round-of-16 of the Concacaf Under-17 Women’s Championship

This after the Jason Spence-coached T&T girls went under to Panama 4-0 in their second Group E match at the Estadio Olimpico Felix Sanchez in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic on Monday.

Coming off a 5-1 loss to Panama on Saturday in their opener, T&T went into the clash with Nicaragua needing a win, with the Central Americans coming off a heavy defeat as well, 10-0 to Mexico.

However, it was Nicaragua who grabbed the early advantage, with Adrianna Munguia scoring in the third minute before Daniela Manzanares converted a penalty in the 24th minute for a 2-0 lead.

Any hopes T&T had of mounting a comeback were further dented when Jenifer Sarantes made it 3-0 a minute into time added on at the end of the first half.

In the second half, T&T put up a better showing but could not put their offensive game together with Breanna Smith, the scorer from the first encounter, out the match through injury.

Stella Villalta added a fourth for Nicaragua in the 67th.

Last night, Panama and Mexico met in the Group F top-of-the-table clash while the teams will close out round-robin pool play on Wednesday with T&T meeting Mexico from 7 pm, and Panama facing Nicaragua from 4 pm.

In the day’s other matches, USA followed up its 19-0 win over Grenada by hammering Puerto Rico 9-0, while in Sunday’s late matches Haiti defeated Cuba 2-0 and Canada punished Dominican Republic 10-0.

The Championship is being disputed in two rounds, beginning with a 16-team group stage.

After round-robin play, the top three teams in each group will advance to the knockout stage joining the four best teams from CWU17 Qualifying.

The first round of qualifying for the 2022 CWU17 took place from October 20 to November 1, 2021, at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, USA with the three group winners; St Kitts & Nevis (Group A), Curaçao (Group B) and Honduras (Group C), as well as the best-ranked second-place finisher (based on a weighted points system), Guyana (Group B), advancing directly to the Knockout Stage of the 2022 CWU17.

After the event, the champion, runner-up and third-place finisher will qualify for the 2022 FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup in India in October of 2022.

The USA is the current champion (fourth title overall) of the CWU17 following a 3-2 win over Mexico in the 2018 Final.

WATCH: Highlights of Trinidad and Tobago U-17 Women's 4-0 loss to Nicaragua.

RELATED NEWS

Nicaragua knocks Trinidad and Tobago U17 Women out of World Cup contention.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

THE Trinidad and Tobago Under-17 women’s footballers now have no chance of qualifying for the 2022 Fifa Under-17 World Cup after falling to another heavy defeat at the 2022 Concacaf Women’s Championships, on Monday.

After falling 5-1 to Panama on Saturday, T&T lost 4-0 to Nicaragua in Group C action at the Felix Sanchez Olympic Stadium in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, on Monday.

Even if T&T pull off an upset win over Mexico in their final group match on Wednesday it will not be enough to advance to the knockout phase. The Concacaf Championships serve as the Fifa Under-17 Women’s World Cup qualifier. The top three teams in the 20-team Concacaf tournament advance to the World Cup in India later this year.

Nicaragua were out of the blocks quickly opening the scoring in the third minute.

Adriana Munguia caught T&T goalkeeper Shaunda Sheppard off her line and buried the opportunity from 30 yards.

Nicaragua created more chances throughout the contest and had the lion’s share of possession.

Nicaragua, just as Panama did against T&T, attempted a lot of shots from outside the 18-yard box.

Sheppard made a couple of saves to deny Nicaragua’s attempts from distance and also made a point-blank save in the 20th minute to keep the score 1-0.

In the 24th minute, Daniela Manzanares converted a penalty to make it 2-0 for Nicaragua. Jhelysse Anthony handled the ball following an attempted cross by a Nicaragua player and the penalty was awarded.

T&T attempted a few counterattacks, but their final pass let them down repeatedly.

Nicaragua continued to look more menacing in attack and in first-half stoppage time made it 3-0.

Jenifer Sarantes lobbed the ball over Sheppard from a fairly tight angle as Nicaragua were cruising at the break.

Marley Walker’s goal kicks for T&T during the match failed to reach the half-line which put a lot of pressure on the T&T goal.

In the second half, Nicaragua did not create as many chances but still had the better passage of play.

T&T had a few bright sparks during the match. In the 58th minute, substitute Jeniceia Benjamin got a shot from six yards out but it was deflected for a corner kick.

T&T gave away possession as they struggled to string three or four passes together in the match.

Nicaragua made it 4-0 when Stella Grace Villalta’s strike from 25 yards out found the back of the net in the 67th minute.

The Central Americans continued to shoot from outside the box in search of a fifth goal.

In the 82nd minute, T&T’s Nikita Jackson ran onto a pass but volleyed her shot wide of the goal.

Nicaragua ended the match with 37 shots compared to eight by T&T.

(Teams)

Trinidad and Tobago (4-4-2): 18.Shaunda Sheppard (GK); 13.Tayeann Wylie, 6.Shadea Andrews, 8.Marley Walker (captain), 19.Emily Nanton; 2.Faith Alexander (10.Jeniecia Benjamin 46), 15.Aliyah Hudlin (12.Arie Bhagan 46), 5.Cicely-Anne Spencer-Wickham, 7.Nikita Jackson; 11.Jhelysse Anthony (14.Trischell Charles 46), 20.Jada Graham.

Unused substitutes: 16.Alexandra Ennals (GK), 3.Makeba Morang, 4.Angel Berot, 9.Breana Smith, 17.Hannah Vieira.

Coach: Jason Spence

Nicaragua (4-3-3): 1.Yahoska Garcia (GK); 7.Sara Cruz (19.Ana Martinez 78), 3.Conthia Calero, 4.Ariana Munguia, 5.Aura Zeledon (2.Stella Villalta 35); 6.Vanessa Altamirano (captain), 14.Anyi Loza (15.Flavia Jimenez 51), 10.Jenifer Sarantes; 11.Hilary Munguia (8.Perla Garache 51), 13.Daniela Manzanares (16.Lesli Marquez 78), 9.Adriana Munguia.

Unused substitutes: 12.Francela Maltez (GK), 2.Stella Villalta, 17.Veronica Navarrete, 18. Jennifer Toval.

Coach: Jeniffer Fernandez

Referee: Merlin Vanessa Soto (Honduras)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 02:12:50 PM by Flex »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2022, 05:49:25 PM »
I have never seen a  girls team at youth level look so bad ..... this has to be a coaching issue
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2022, 07:40:24 PM »
Just another day in T&T football

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2022, 11:32:44 AM »
I have never seen a  girls team at youth level look so bad ..... this has to be a coaching issue

How did the coach look?    :D :banginghead:

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2022, 05:25:12 PM »
yeah well if we only want to appoint "coaches" who doh know how to turn girls into competent athletes how we expecting dem to shape competent footballers....we have national teams full ah girl who still fluttering about "limp wristed" barely able to keep d ball against teams with girls who sprinting full send with d ball fully in control :cursing:
I pity the fool....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2022, 06:00:46 PM »
I spoke to former high school football and youth team coach Mike Grayson. He told me that we spinning top in mud when it comes to girls/female sports. Girls football development is negligible at best. He said TT girls need to start at primary school level. Most don't. By the time they reach high school, they are now playing catch up to their peers. Unless they seriously start, football, TF, basketball, netball at primary school, we are not going anywhere fast. You could blame KJ all you want, he can't coach them girls to the level as those other countries. They are way behind.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 06:03:03 PM by Deeks »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2022, 06:11:14 PM »
I spoke to former high school football and youth team coach Mike Grayson. He told me that we spinning top in mud when it comes to girls/female sports. Girls football development is negligible at best. He said TT girls need to start at primary school level. Most don't. By the time they reach high school, they are now playing catch up to their peers. Unless they seriously start, football, TF, basketball, netball at primary school, we are not going anywhere fast. You could blame KJ all you want, he can't coach them girls to the level as those other countries. They are way behind.

I agree with this fully
I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>