March 19, 2024, 01:04:38 AM

Author Topic: 2022 Concacaf Women's Championship Thread  (Read 7697 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2022 Concacaf Women's Championship Thread
« on: April 20, 2022, 04:54:25 PM »
T&T women drawn in group with Canada, Panama and Costa Rica
T&T Express

Trinidad and Tobago’s senior women’s football team has been drawn in Group B after CONCACAF yesterday conducted the official draw for the 2022 CONCACAF W Championship (CWC).

The tournament is scheduled to be played in Monterrey, Mexico, between July 4-18 and will serve as the qualification tournament to the FIFA Women’s World Cup (FWWC) 2023 while the champions will qualify directly to the 2024 Paris Olympic Games.

The region’s best eight participating national teams were divided into four pots based on the FIFA Women’s Ranking of June 2021. The T&T women are in group alongside Canada, Costa Rica and Panama while Group A consists of the United States, Mexico, Jamaica and Haiti.

After the round-robin group stage play, the top two teams in each group will move on to the semi-finals and will qualify directly to the Women’s World Cup (four teams). Meanwhile, the third-placed teams in each group will qualify for a Women’s World Cup Intercontinental playoff (two teams).

The semi-finals, final and third-place match will be played in a single elimination format, with the champions qualifying for both the 2024 Paris Olympics and the inaugural CONCACAF W Gold Cup, to be held in 2024. The runners-up and third-place teams will also square off in a CONCACAF Olympic play-in series, scheduled for September 2023. The winners of that play-in series will also qualify for the 2024 Paris Olympics and the 2024 CONCACAF W Gold Cup.

The complete match schedule will be announced by CONCACAF in the coming days. T&T reached this stage of the Championship after a late equaliser by Lauryn Hutchinson gave them a 2-2 draw against Guyana last WEEK Tuesday at the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Tobago, which was good enough to guarantee that they topped the group and qualified for the next phase.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 01:55:49 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Concacaf Women's Championship Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2022, 04:56:54 PM »
Match Schedule.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2022, 04:58:55 PM »
“Lions” by Skip Marley featuring Cedella Marley. The ConcacafW Championship's official song.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/6raiPaYlNIo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/6raiPaYlNIo</a>

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2022, 01:57:58 PM »
Kenwyn Jones virtual press conference after the draw

https://youtu.be/qhrpK56M3vs
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 03:54:57 PM »
Kenwyne Jones: Nice draw, Women must buckle down at Concacaf Championship
By Roger Seepersad (T&T Express)

The Trinidad and Tobago senior women’s football team head coach Kenwyne Jones said his side will be hunting wins as they look to make an impression in the 2022 CONCACAF W Championship (CWC) set to be staged in Monterrey, Mexico, between July 4-18.

The tournament will serve as the qualification tournament to the FIFA Women’s World Cup (FWWC) 2023 while the champions will qualify directly to the 2024 Paris Olympic Games.

The region’s best eight participating national teams were divided into four pots based on the FIFA Women’s Ranking of June 2021. The T&T women are in Group B alongside Canada, Costa Rica and Panama while Group A consists of the United States, Mexico, Jamaica and Haiti.

The top two teams in each group after the round robin phase will qualify for the 2023 Women’s World Cup.

Speaking about the draw, Jones described it as “favourable”, but noted that the T&T women will have to “buckle down” and make sure they are prepared for every match as they look to secure a World Cup berth.

“The night of the draw was a fantastic night and I think we were all anxious to see who we would be matched up against in the grouping for the Women’s Championship come July. I think at the end we were kind of pleased with the fellow participants in our group,” Jones told the media yesterday.

“We know that stepping up to this level of CONCACAF qualification, all opponents are going to be tough and you will have biases in terms of who you will rather face and I think in the end, we did get a favourable draw but at the same time we are going to buckle down and prepare for each match of that group stage,” he added.

Asked about facing Canada in the opening match of the tournament on July 5, Jones said: “We know football is a sport that anything can happen on the day. We are not going there to hope for the best.

“Yes, we know we are playing against one of the best teams in the world but I believe in the players and their talents and I do believe we can play football and I have to give them the confidence to do that on the big stage.”

Jones continued: “I am not going in thinking I am going to set up in a certain way that we don’t lose by too many goals..this is about football and being able to have confidence in the way we play and how we announce ourselves at this stage of the competition because if we do not set that type of example, we will continue to have an inferiority complex when it comes to confidence.”

The coach said he had “100 per cent belief in this squad,” adding, “it is not going to be a master plan to park the bus if at all; we are going to try to win matches to secure qualification.”

Jones also believes his squad will be going into the final stage of World Cup qualification on a high following a tense draw against Guyana in Tobago, which he said added a certain quality to the team.

T&T needed a draw against Guyana to advance and they earned a hard-fought come-from-behind 2-2 result.

“I was happy to see that bit of character added to the DNA of the team because it is important for you to have that,” Jones said of the game.

“It added strength to the team; it added character and a necessary piece to the puzzle that we would need going forward because it is a mentality that you want to be able to foster within a team environment that then extends to the national programme,” the T&T coach concluded.

2022 CONCACAF W Championship schedule (T&T matches)

(Kick-off times to be confirmed at a later date and the order of matches is subject to change)

Tuesday, July 5 – Estadio BBVA
Canada vs T&T

Friday, July 8 – Estadio Universitario
T&T vs Costa Rica

Monday, July 11 - Estadio BBVA
Panama vs T&T

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2022, 03:58:03 PM »
SportsMax previews the CONCACAF Women's World Cup Qualifying final round Group B matchups for Trinidad and Tobago  with T&T head coach Kenwyne Jones.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4EjEx_ApqEI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4EjEx_ApqEI</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 05:15:38 AM »
SportsMax previews the CONCACAF Women's World Cup Qualifying final round Group B matchups for Trinidad and Tobago  with T&T head coach Kenwyne Jones.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4EjEx_ApqEI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4EjEx_ApqEI</a>

It appears that Kenwyne thinks he - at some point in time - made a clear and definite statement regarding the departure of the former NT captain and the now avid scorer of goals in Turkey, but he has not in actuality been sufficiently definitive. Had he been, the questions would not be persistent several weeks after the precipitating events.

While I understand the balance he has sought to strike, he could have saved himself from the persistence of the questions had a different approach to engaging public comment on the decisions made been taken.

It has arrived to the point that he can identify the pursuit of the line of inquiry BEFORE the inquisition is fully formed. That standing alone is instructive.

What we are left with is - as an astute observer noted - he wants to appear flexible, but solely on his terms. That standing alone is also instructive.

Surely there is a more expansive interpretation of "in the national interest" other than a resolute, entrenched position.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 12:22:18 PM »
Jones: We need to step up to compete on the big stage
By Roger Seepersad (T&T Express)

While he has seen improvement in the Trinidad and Tobago senior women’s football team since taking over as head coach, Kenwyne Jones assessed that they will have to “step it up a couple of notches” as they head into the 2022 CONCACAF W Championship which is the final stage of qualification for next year’s FIFA Women’s World Cup.

For the CONCACAF W Championship, the T&T women were drawn in a Group B alongside Canada, Costa Rica and Panama while Group A consists of the United States, Mexico, Jamaica and Haiti.

Jones, speaking to the media during a virtual media conference on Thursday, outlined some of his plans in the build-up to the W Championship, which includes practice matches and getting acclimatised to the high altitude of Mexico.

“We know it is World Cup qualification and every match is important. We’ve gotten to stages before where we fell at the final hurdle and hopefully, we’ll be able to go over this hurdle come this tournament, but it starts with the first step and the first training here and it starts with how we go about our training every day to get better, fitter and stronger,” said Jones.

“I think over the six months I have been with the team, they have grown from strength to strength and I applaud that...going into this tournament a lot of things will have to (be) step(ped) up in terms of the support for the team and preparations,” he emphasised.

Asked about the composition of the team for the upcoming assignment, Jones said they will get a chance to see a few more players in training over the next two months and expects the competition for places in the starting line-up to become tighter.

“I think the pool of players are already settled. Whether or not players were available at the times we wanted them to be a part of the camps and qualification games was another story. But we are going to have a few other players who are part of the pool that we are going to see over the next two months or so, before the tournament, and hopefully that will further add to the level of the squad and the competitiveness and then give us a good headache going into the tournament,” the T&T coach explained.

In terms of the team’s preparations, Jones said practice matches will be crucial but will depend on when all the players will be available to come together as a team.

“I think the way we will be able to step up preparations before this tournament is based on when we can get all the players in,” he noted. “I know quite a few of the college players are graduating at the end of the month, so they will filter in sometime in early May. The pro players, a few of them are finishing in early May as well, so we will be able to get the players in as early as possible.

Jones continued: “We have been planning for the long time in terms of what we need to do and how we need to prepare and the sort of things we need to add. Hopefully, with collaboration with the federation, we will be able to have a couple matches. I know locally once we have the squad together, we will have a few training matches and maybe a couple of matches before we go off the Mexico.”

“The thought process is to be in the same altitude probably 10-12 days prior to our first match so we can get acclimatised to the conditions. Then we will go into the tournament with all our analysis of the teams…so I don’t have any worries about what our preparations will be,” Jones added.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 02:12:14 PM »

It appears that Kenwyne thinks he - at some point in time - made a clear and definite statement regarding the departure of the former NT captain and the now avid scorer of goals in Turkey, but he has not in actuality been sufficiently definitive. Had he been, the questions would not be persistent several weeks after the precipitating events.

While I understand the balance he has sought to strike, he could have saved himself from the persistence of the questions had a different approach to engaging public comment on the decisions made been taken.

It has arrived to the point that he can identify the pursuit of the line of inquiry BEFORE the inquisition is fully formed. That standing alone is instructive.

What we are left with is - as an astute observer noted - he wants to appear flexible, but solely on his terms. That standing alone is also instructive.

Surely there is a more expansive interpretation of "in the national interest" other than a resolute, entrenched position.

Yeah, this is unfortunate to say the least.  One wouod think given what KJ himself witnessed as a national player with respect to player selection he would rise above that in the name of national interest.  As tiny as we are we need our best players always...tragic that this story simple recurs with every generation of football...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2022, 11:44:51 AM »
Unfortunately this scenario has played out many times before. Remember Samora? oh gosh all the talk of how he could have been a savior and valuable asset leading up to 2006.

Oh gosh doh furget Deleon? and I am sure there have been many others who for what ever reasons have snubbed national selection or have had their own personal stance.

At the end of the day, as fans we have an outsider's view but what happens among players and coaches are a perspective we are not privy to. If a player warrants selection and  if their  philosophy aligns with coach's expectations then it makes for a more compatible meshing of expectations.
 Ultimately, the coach has to make a call as what is most  beneficial for the cohesion and betterment for the team and if a ' star' has to  dimmed, then so be it.
Our football ethos has relied for too long on  having ' start boi' mentality as opposed to  formidable team structures- offense by committee defense by  committee.

Observing and reading about a player of this caliber achieving success would be enticing for anyone to advocate for her inclusion on the national team but if it comes with  a toxicity then do you really want to gamble on  a short term fix  over a long term build?
Modify message

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2022, 08:37:26 AM »
"Great moments are born from great opportunity, and that's what you have here ladies. That's what you've earned here . One game; if we played them ten times, they might win nine. But not this game, not in Mexico."

Go out , and run with them;  stay with them, and  shut them down because you can. You , have to see yourselves as the greatest women's football team TnT has produced.

You prepared yourselves for this moment to be  players—every one of you, and you were meant to be there . This is your time. Their time is done. It's over. I'm sick and tired of hearing about what a great football team the other countries have  . Screw 'em. This is your time. Now go out there and take it!"

Take this post it in your room read it every day; believe in it and lets turn thoughts into actions and beliefs into a reality. Ah taking meh pension money to travel to Mexico to cheer you on

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 01:21:12 PM »
Kenwyne Jones: Women Warriors have talent to reach World Cup 2023
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

TRINIDAD and Tobago senior women’s football team coach Kenwyne Jones believes his squad possesses the courage and intensity needed to secure a coveted place at the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

The Women Warriors enter their final round of World Cup qualifying at the 2022 Concacaf W Championships (CWC), which kicks off in Monterrey, Mexico on July 4.

Locally-based team staff and players leave for Mexico on Thursday morning and await the arrival of their foreign-based teammates later on in the day.

T&T open their campaign against 2020 Tokyo Olympic gold medallists Canada on July 5. Joining them in Group B are Costa Rica and Panama. Group A consists of reigning FIFA Women’s World Cup and CWC champions USA, Mexico, Jamaica and Haiti.

The CWC group stage runs until July 11. At the end of round-robin play, the top two teams from each group will move on to the semi-finals and in doing so, qualify directly for the 2023 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.

Meanwhile, the third-placed teams in each group will qualify for a 2023 World Cup intercontinental playoff.

Canada are ranked sixth on the FIFA women’s rankings, Costa Rica 37th, Panama 57th and T&T, a distant 76th, the lowest-ranked team at the CWC.

However, Jones remains confident his team has the depth to make it to the CWC semi-finals and book T&T’s first-ever spot at a Women’s World Cup.

“My goal is for them to qualify. I told the team from day one that I do believe in them one hundred per cent and I believe they will qualify. It’s just about going through the stages, ticking the boxes and working really hard to get there.

“We have the talent to do so. The composition of the squad is wonderful at this point and we’re going to go out and give it our best shot.

“We’re just looking forward to it. I think everyone is at the edge of their seat right now, just wanting to lead, to get through the process, and we’re at that point now. I can say that you will see the best of the ladies because this is sometimes a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” he said.

Jones confirmed the team would undergo an eight-day pre-tournament training camp in Mexico. Twenty-five players have made the trip but two will be dropped ahead of the CWC.

At the camp, T&T will play three practice matches, two against a Mexican club and an in-house game. These three games will mirror T&T’s CWC round-robin match schedule to help players acclimatise to gameplay, training and recovery.

Skipper Karyn Forbes, who picked up a small injury in the CWC qualifying round in April, has fully recovered and is raring to go.

For the camp, Jones said, “We’re going out there to acclimatise and work on everything else tactically, get familiar with the surroundings and prepare for the tournament.

“It would give us an opportunity to see different combinations and work tactically on things we would like to put forward for the team during the tournament.”

He also expressed confidence in his wealth of youthful and experienced players on the team.

“Being able to help the ladies on this team, the ones who’ve been here before at this stage of qualification, to realise a dream. We have quite a number of new, young players in the squad that should be on the platform for the next ten years.

“Having them be able to experience something like this at this stage to experience something like this so it will fuel their desire and thirst to continue to represent T&T at this stage.

“I think we’ve done some excellent work so far in being able to integrate new and younger players. You have to be able to blend the squad properly,” he added.

The former national striker believes if T&T qualify for the 2023 World Cup, it would inspire more foreign-based players with T&T lineage to come forward and expand the squad’s player pool.

Jones said the CWC is necessary and integral for how we look at, view and change our level of respect for women’s football.

“I think it’s the best time for us to be able to get to that other level as we know we were close in the past. Hopefully, we get to our end goal and it will then set the chain reaction for what is necessary for grassroots.

“For the future, hopefully, us qualifying, the games that we’ve had up to this point, will help others out there who can represent T&T to want get involved and hopefully the programme will continue in that regard,” he closed.

The CWC semi-finals on July 14 at Estadio Universitario, and the final and third-place match on July 18 at Estadio BBVA, will be played in a single-elimination format, with the champion qualifying for both the 2024 Paris Olympics and the inaugural Concacaf W Gold Cup (CWGC), to be held in 2024.

The runner-up and third-place teams will also square off in a Concacaf Olympic play-in series, scheduled for September 2023. The winner of that play-in series will also qualify for the 2024 Paris Olympics and the 2024 CWGC.

T&T Team for Concacaf W Championships Pre-Tournament Camp

Goalkeepers - Kimika Forbes, Makida Herbert, Klil Keshwar, Tenesha Palmer

Defenders - Rhea Belgrave, Chelsi Jadoo, Shaunalee Govia, Shady Stoute, Victoria Swift, Lauryn Hutchinson

Midfielders - Liana Hinds, Amaya Elis, Asha James, Chelcy Ralph, Karyn Forbes (captain), Kedie Johnson, Sarah De Gannes, Tori Paul

Forwards - Raenah Campbell, Cayla Mc Farlane, Maya Matouk, Maria-Frances Serrant, Edna Konte, Jolie St Louis, Brianna Austin

Staff - Kenwyne Jones (coach), Carlos Edwards (assistant coach), James Baird (goalkeeper coach), Joanne Daniel (manager), Anyl Gopeesingh (doctor), Rejan Chin (rehab specialist), Terry Johnson-Jeremiah (equipment manager), Atiba Downes (strength and conditioning coach), Andre Sooklal (media officer), Alexandria Olton (sport psychologist), Dean Tuitt (trainer), Kylla Charles (massage therapist)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/x8PZtC2-tRg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/x8PZtC2-tRg</a>
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 02:10:52 PM by Tallman »

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2022, 01:51:25 PM »
Wow! Staff = 12? That's interesting. Good luck.
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2022, 07:48:28 PM »

Probably volunteers - trip and all-inclusive hotel.. why not ?  ;)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2022, 11:54:32 PM »

Probably volunteers - trip and all-inclusive hotel.. why not ?  ;)

This tournament is for all the the marbles. Both WC and Olympics. I guess they putting all the resources in this tournament.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2022, 08:01:02 AM »
Heads up! I watched Costa Rica dominated and beat Haiti 2-1 last night. They are no joke. Any team that can dominate and beat Haiti with all those high performers playing in France is a real contender. Trinidad will have a tough time versus Costa Rica.

In my opinion, Trinidad will need to beat Panama and fight hard for a point from either Canada or Costa Rica. not an easy task considering Costa Rica's level and Canada being the defending Olympic champion.

Although Group A is the group of death, I believe the Caribbean has a good chance to send another member to the world cup through this group. Haiti and Jamaica will play last. I am hoping that at least one of the two will earn a point from USA or Mexico. A tall task but it happened before. In this scenario, the team with no point should just play its subs and let the other Caribbean team grab the qualification. Central American teams do this all the time. A team is not required to play specific players. Of course, if both teams still have a chance to qualify, it's war!

...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2022, 05:24:40 AM »
What should we expect next week from this Kenwyne Jones coached Women team at CONCACAF Championship? https://tinyurl.com/ysbeukd9

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2022, 02:51:51 PM »
Jones: Trinidad and Tobago 'looking much stronger' ahead of Concacaf Women's Championship

THE TRINIDAD and Tobago women’s football team recorded a win and a loss in their warm-up matches earlier this week ahead of their opening Concacaf W Championship clash against reigning Olympic champions Canada.

The match kicks off on Tuesday from 10 pm (T&T time) at the Estadio BBVA, Guadalupe, Mexico.

On Sunday, the Women Warriors defeated University of Monterrey, Mexico 1-0, courtesy a goal from Tori Paul, but fell 2-0 to Mexican top-flight club CF Monterrey on Thursday.

T&T coach Kenwyne Jones said the warm-ups should have given the team ample time to acclimatise to Mexican conditions ahead of Tuesday’s Group B clash against Canada.

“Like everything else, it’s been up and down. It’s nothing that we haven’t expected.

"It’s our seventh day here and we ended with an exercise. So we expect the players now to be, after the exercise, fully adapted and us looking much stronger going forward into the tournament,” Jones said.

The T&T coach affirmed their second warm-up match was a “tough one for us physically,” playing in hot conditions.

“I think at the time we played, with the heat and everything else – especially in the first half, I think we were a bit slow, a bit sluggish. We picked things up in the second half, which was good to see.

“But all in all, it was a very good exercise for us today and we’re going to recover and get back down to training to get ready for the tournament.”

Also in the group are Costa Rica and Panama. Group A consists of reigning FIFA Women’s World Cup and CWC champions USA, Mexico, Jamaica and Haiti.

Up against FIFA’s number-six-ranked Canada, Jones, the former T&T men's team captain, said it will be an uphill task but the T&T team plans to give it their all.

“We have to make sure that we are on point for every game that we play. Not to mention we’re playing Canada in the first game. We do expect a very tough fight because they’re a very good team. But we are going to get down to business and continue to prepare as we did.

“We will continue to work on team shape, offensively and defensively, what we do in transition, our set pieces like any other coach preparing for the tournament.”

After Tuesday's opener, T&T then play Costa Rica on Friday and Panama on Monday. Both matches start at 7pm (T&T time).

At the end of round-robin play, the top two teams from each group advance to the semifinals and in doing so, qualify directly for the 2023 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.

The third-placed teams in each group will qualify for a 2023 World Cup intercontinental playoff.

T&T Final Team

Goalkeepers - Kimika Forbes. Klil Keshwar, Tenesha Palmer

Defenders - Liana Hinds, Rhea Belgrave, Victoria Swift, Chelsi Jadoo, Shaunalee Govia, Shadi Cecily Stoute, Lauryn Hutchinson

Midfielders - Amaya Ellis, Asha James, Chelcy Ralph, Karyn Forbes (captain), Kedie Johnson, Sarah De Gannes, Tori Paul

Forwards - Maya Matouk, Maria-Frances Serrant, Raenah Campbell, Jolie St Louis, Cayla McFarlane, Brianna Austin

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2022, 03:41:25 PM »
Head Coach Kenwyne Jones chats with the media after Trinidad and Tobago Women's final preparation match ahead of the 2022 Concacaf Women's Championship.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/smq6EURx9TY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/smq6EURx9TY</a>

Trinidad and Tobago Women's Assistant Coach Carlos Edwards chats about  adjusting to the environment in Mexico and the preparations for Tuesday's opening Concacaf W clash with Canada.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/_u4W2ZRrpM4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/_u4W2ZRrpM4</a>

Trinidad and Tobago defender Lauryn Hutchinson chats about adjusting to the environment in Mexico and the preparations for Tuesday's opening Concacaf W clash with Canada.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CAHpOq2xVSE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CAHpOq2xVSE</a>

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2022, 10:57:00 AM »
 Here is a Canadian perspective on how they see their chances: " ah mackoing' dem

https://www.tsn.ca/meaghen-johnson-canada-set-for-concacaf-w-championship-opener-1.1821255

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2022, 04:14:51 PM »
Women Warriors shake off challenges ahead of tough Canada clash

AMID several pre-tournament challenges, the Trinidad and Tobago women’s football team is ready to deliver a fearless showing in their opening Concacaf W Championship clash against reigning Olympic champions Canada on Tuesday.

The match kicks off at Estadio BBVA Bancomer in Mexico from 10pm (T&T time).

Kenwyne Jones, Women Warriors head coach, confirmed there were some hiccups in their preparations in Mexico over the past two weeks, which led to some minor injuries and delayed acclimatisation within the team.

However, Jones and captain Karyn Forbes, remain set on delivering a strong performance against Canada and will be brazenly gunning for three points in their Group B opener. “The conditions haven’t been the best. We’ve been training on fields that have been really hard. It contributed to some niggles and injuries. There was a water shortage or problem out here and it’s very humid.

“The amount of time we’ve been out here contributed to some of the injuries that have been happening. We are still going to put out a very good team against Canada and we will have a very good team against Costa Rica and Panama as well,” Jones said during Monday’s pre-match press conference.

T&T play Costa Rica on Friday (7pm) and Panama on Monday (7pm).

At the end of round-robin play, the top two teams from each group advance to the semifinals and in doing so, qualify directly for the 2023 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand. The third-placed teams in each group will qualify for a 2023 World Cup intercontinental playoff. The T&T women played two warm up matches prior, winning 1-0 against University of Monterrey and losing the other 2-0 against top flight Mexican women’s club CF Monterrey.

Although there are injuries within the squad, Jones said the team’s medical staff have been working assiduously to ensure that those selected for the Canada clash are in good form.

He added, “For any team or player, these sort of challenges are ones to relish. It’s how you get to test yourself.

Use teams or players as measuring sticks for yourself and to see how good you can stand a test and what you might need to do to get better. “Football is won on the day and anything can happen. And we’re well prepared to go and stand up to the challenge. It also brings out different elements of character building.”

Jones said players not selected for Tuesday’s opener will have an extra day or two to recover and should be available for the remainder of the tournament.

Similarly, Forbes rued the unexpected hiccups but is focused on the task at hand. Canada are clear favourites and Forbes and Jones have been working overtime to keep the team spirit high.

Forbes said, “We’re going to respect the opponent. It will be 11 versus 11 and we’re here to compete. The girls understand what is at stake. We also understand the magnitude of this competition.

“The team’s mood has been good, it’s for us to keep focused. This competition, and what we want to achieve is not going to be easy. It’s for us to continue to remind each other. Without us being there for each other, we won’t be able to compete.

“One of the things that I’m doing right now is driving that mantra into the girls and helping them to understand that we need to work together, have the right attitude and right mood. So whatever we have going on off the field could be transferred on the field.”

Midfielder Forbes, defenders Rhea Belgrave, Liana Hinds and Lauren Hutchinson, alongside goalkeeper Kimika Forbes are the most experienced players on the team. The quintet was part of this same qualification process in 2014, when T&T missed out on a World Cup spot after losing to Ecuador 1-0 in a sold out crowd at Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

Since then, many have left the national set up, including in-form Turkish Super League striker Kennya Cordner, and several local and foreign-based youngsters have joined the team. Forbes however, believes the new talents, combined with their experience, do possess a winnig formuala.

“We want to be able to use some of the senior players to help the other players get caught up with what we’re going to expect. It’s a collective effort. The new players bring a different element to the team. Some of what I saw thus far could be troubling for teams. I’m very excited to see them tomorrow (Tuesday).”

T&T Squad

Goalkeepers - Kimika Forbes. Klil Keshwar, Tenesha Palmer

Defenders - Liana Hinds, Rhea Belgrave, Victoria Swift, Chelsi Jadoo, Shaunalee Govia, Shadi Cecily Stoute, Lauryn Hutchinson

Midfielders - Amaya Ellis, Asha James, Chelcy Ralph, Karyn Forbes (captain), Kedie Johnson, Sarah De Gannes, Tori Paul

Forwards - Maya Matouk, Maria-Frances Serrant, Raenah Campbell, Jolie St Louis, Cayla McFarlane, Brianna Austin

Technical Staff

Kenwyne Jones (coach), Carlos Edwards (assistant coach), James Baird (goalkeeper coach), Joanne Daniel (manager), Anyl Gopeesingh (doctor), Rejan Chin (rehab specialist), Terry Johnson-Jeremiah (equipment manager), Atiba Downes (strength and conditioning coach), Andre Sooklal (Mmedia officer/video analyst), Alexandria Olton (sport psychologist), Dean Tuitt (trainer), Kylla Charles (massage therapist).

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2022, 06:08:45 PM »
Any links for the game will be appreciated.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2022, 09:48:07 PM »

Ah rel glad nobody asking what is the score.  :rotfl:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2022, 11:11:12 PM »
What was the score ?😁just rubbing it in. I watched the highlights.  Nice white uniform.  I want one of that jersey.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2022, 03:09:03 AM »
Was "superior to Maylee" on display?

To evoke Pato Banton: What was the riot for? Please give me an answer.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 03:12:09 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2022, 03:23:24 AM »
For yet another tournament in quick succession, I am at a loss to understand why players who are KNOWN goal-scoring/creating/assisting threats are REPEATEDLY left to their own devices unattended.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2022, 03:32:23 AM »
Despite the result, it is evident that the coaching staff put in credible work: there was a rational and coherent tactical order on display. I applaud them for that.

However, the plot was lost in the vulnerable minutes around the substitution when a lot of good work was squandered cheaply and the challenge could have been engaged differently.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 03:34:16 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2022, 07:22:34 AM »
This teams needs a #10 player I saw David Nakhid niece she looks like she could play that position but she is not on the team when is T&T going to stop playing this scrappy out dated English football.

1]; } ?>