March 28, 2024, 01:51:52 PM

Author Topic: 2022 Concacaf Women's Championship Thread  (Read 7790 times)

Offline ricop001

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Concacaf Women's Championship Thread
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2022, 10:51:39 AM »
Watch that Canada game, must say we defended well for a long time, however, it looks like we cannot seem to build from the back, or have an clear understanding of what to do went we do possess the ball.  It was disappointing that the lost by 6 goals.  If they had kept it to 1-0 then i would have said we did well.

We never had any attacking attempts, IMO, the we give the ball away every time, because the keeper seem to think its to kick the ball long all the time, and not build from the back.  The keeper did well, but every time she laid on the ground after a save, instead of getting up quickly and start a counter with a throw into the field of play.
The coach needs to give his team a better game plan, or method of building an attack.  We really need to work on first touch and tempo.  it almost seem that the plan, was to only play defense and hope that the keeper can get the ball to the forwards.  That never works.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2022, 11:02:59 AM »
Despite the result, it is evident that the coaching staff put in credible work: there was a rational and coherent tactical order on display. I applaud them for that.

However, the plot was lost in the vulnerable minutes around the substitution when a lot of good work was squandered cheaply and the challenge could have been engaged differently.

I hope you're saying that tongue in cheek. Even though they defended very well until the substitutions there was no plan to counter other than hoof the ball forward. There were times we'd win the ball and the first pass after that was negative as there was no forward option. We needed about 3 or 4 different attacking sequences. Also need a better keeper Kimika made too many basic mistakes.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2022, 01:19:39 PM »
Despite the result, it is evident that the coaching staff put in credible work: there was a rational and coherent tactical order on display. I applaud them for that.

However, the plot was lost in the vulnerable minutes around the substitution when a lot of good work was squandered cheaply and the challenge could have been engaged differently.

I hope you're saying that tongue in cheek. Even though they defended very well until the substitutions there was no plan to counter other than hoof the ball forward. There were times we'd win the ball and the first pass after that was negative as there was no forward option. We needed about 3 or 4 different attacking sequences. Also need a better keeper Kimika made too many basic mistakes.

Let me start with the last thing first.

Having submitted multiple posts regarding Kimika, I decided not to go there again, although the first thing I came close to querying this morning was succession planning in that position.

I'm surmising she is the best available in the position since she's generally the presumptive starter, but she is neither consistently convincing nor confidence-boosting. There were moments during the match in which her experience emerged, but without a doubt there were several moments in which, despite her stated 42 caps, she delivered inexperience, a lack of leadership and sheer needless chaos. But I didn't want to go there on an individual level because it would have also led me to question Karyn's role as a 90-minute contributor (in the abstract I don't think she is or should be ... but I also get there is an element of a "by-default call" given available personnel). That raises the question of on whose arm should the armband rest.

After ponging Angus for his fraud of a midfield, I was acknowledging that Kenwyne's structure offered something less scandalous and more sustainable in that one could see what work had been put in, particularly in midfield. But, there's no doubt it was incomplete as a project. Although the lack of a systemic idea of how to transition play was glaring, I set a lowered bar for my applause because match after match the men's U-20 coach failed to rectify the midfield lunacy that was consistently being exposed. In my comment, I am also implicitly congratulating Kenwyne for playing with a more sensible arrangement regarding distances between the lines and because he got a fundamental part of the tactical orientation needed for defensive integrity, correct. However, there's no doubt that should have been the beginning of his thought process, not the end.

Before the match, I assessed that our challenge in MF would be similar to that faced by the DR vs the US (U20). Without getting into the technicalities, it was similar (with the exception of late runs from depth) and our posture made Canada work harder than they anticipated. And there was applause for that. Not at all suggesting stellar work, just recognizing a superior delivery to several other recent NTs since March 2020.

In addition to your observation regarding the attacking deficiencies, I also think there should have been more than one focal point of the attack.   

Also, the team lacked an organizing midfielder. You know where that finger is pointing, but people don't seem to have an appetite to lash that battle since the squad is signed, sealed and can't be changed.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 03:58:02 AM by asylumseeker »

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2022, 04:28:50 PM »
Canada dominate.......T&T's Women Warriors beaten 6-0 in Concacaf opener
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

A naive second half performance saw Trinidad and Trinidad and Tobago’s senior women’s national football team concede five goals on the way to a 6-0 defeat against Olympic champions Canada in their CONCACAF Women's Championship opening match on Tuesday night at the Estadio BBVA, in Monterrey, Mexico.

With a bit of luck and a couple of acrobatic stops from goalkeeper Kimika Forbes, the Women Warriors escaped with a 1-0 first half deficit, conceding only Christine Sinclair's header. But they would fold in the dying stages, when conceding five second half goals.

Canada scored through Christine Sinclair (27th minute), Julia Grosso(67th & 78th), Jessie Fleming (84th), Janine Becke (86th) and Jordyn Huitema (91st) and also missed a penalty.

The Caribbean team managed a single attack, with Brittany Jolie St Louis getting a header onto a 71st minute free kick, resulting from a foul on second half substitute Maria-Frances Serrant,  and giving idle Canadian goalkeeper Kailen Sheridan rare work.

T&T head coach Kenwyne Jones seemed to fall for his own hype that his Women Warriors were good enough technically, to put the ball down and play with the Canadians, rather than execute damage control.

Jones' squad might have been better served to try and win free-kicks, and also force the Canadian defenders back with balls over the top. Instead, every ball played up front was played to the feet and easily lost.

The back five comprising keeper Forbes,  Victoria Swift, Rhea Belgrave, Cecily Stoute and Chelsi Jadoo were capable enough, by those in front of them were woeful—especially in the wide positions where Canada found great joy, since T&T were too many times caught out of position.  Central midfielders comprising captain Karyn Forbes, Asha James and Chelsy Ralph delegated work, rather than work themselves and allowed the Canadian over-lappers to stroll into the spaces and overwhelm already hard-pressed defenders. 

With even a two-goal deficit looking a relatively good result, rather than consolidate, the Women Warriors were spread out and played neither good defence nor offence and by the final ten minutes when legs were tired and mental discipline gone, they lost all shape and capitulated. 

By full time, it ended no different than most previous encounters against Canada. Deja Vue indeed, and Jones did no worse than the 2016  meeting between the teams, which also ended 6-0 —with a Women Warriors team containing all the best T&T players of the last decade.

In 2008, Canada also won 6-0 and in 2000 by a 7-1 margin.  Trinidad and Tobago did manage a 1-0 win during a 2010 Olympic qualifier, when former head coach Jamal Shabazz bunkered down and offered little in attack,  except the occasional run forward by striker Kennya Cordner. And five years later, T&T escaped with only a 4-0 drubbing.

Tuesday's result was just more of the same. Except for the Americans, Canada also regularly beat up on all the other CONCACAF teams, including Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica, Haiti and Panama.

T&T are back in action on Friday against a faster Costa Rica who defeated Panama 3-0, before a must-win encounter against the more on par Panamanians.

To Jones' credit, his team did show enough to suggest that with some adjustments, his players might actually be able to play against their next two opponents, although Costa Rica will be tough as well.

TEAMS

Trinidad and Tobago (4-2-3-1): 1.Kimika Forbes (GK); 3.Shadi Cecily Stoute, 4.Rhea Belgrave, 8.Victoria Swift, 2.Chelsi Jadoo; 14.Karyn Forbes (captain), 12.Chelcy Ralph (17.Jolie St Louis 62); 11.Raenah Campbell (18.Maria-Frances Serrant 62), 10.Asha James (15.Tori Paul 74), 6.Kedie Johnson (16.Cayla Mc Farlane 74); 9.Brianna Austin.

Unused substitutes: 21.Tenesha Palmer (GK), 22.K’lil Keshwar (GK), 5.Shaunalee Govia, 7.Liana Hinds, 13.Amaya Ellis, 19.Maya Matouk, 20.Lauryn Hutchinson, 23.Sarah De Gannes.

Coach: Kenwyne Jones

Canada (4-3-1-2): 1.Kailen Sheridan (GK); 8.Jayde Riviere (23.Bianca St Georges 72), 3.Kadeisha Buchanan, 14.Vanessa Gilles, 10.Ashley Lawrence (2.Allysha Chapman 59); 17.Jessie Fleming, 11.Desiree Scott (7.Julia Grosso 59), 5.Quinn;  12.Christine Sinclair (captain) (9.Jordyn Huitema 59); 16.Janine Beckie, 6.Deanne Rose (19.Adriana Leon 59).

Unused substitutes: 18.Sabrina D’Angelo (GK), 22.Lysiana Proulx (GK), 4.Shelina Zadorsky, 13.Sophie Schmidt, 15.Nichelle Prince, 20.Cloé Lacasse, 21.Zoe Burns.

Coach: Bev Priestman

Referee: Katia Garcia (Mexico)

VAR official: Francia Gonzales (Mex)

Highlights of Canada vs Trinidad and Tobago

Post-match reaction from Kenwyne Jones
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mwyQSFX2V9k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mwyQSFX2V9k</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2022, 06:16:18 PM »

Well we know as a player KJ was very stubborn and could not handle criticism. Hopefully his attitude has changed as a coach

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2022, 06:18:17 PM »

Also not because Canada is a world class team means T&T could not have played better.

Let me ask a very simple question. How many shots on target did T&T had against Canada goal?

You would be surprise by the answer....or maybe not given the current state of our football

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2022, 05:01:49 AM »
Again we're here throwing out all these analysis and ideas on what we could have done differently, and we never stop to think that the problem just might be bigger than what we anticipate. how many times are we going to do this?

the problem is that we have a serious problem that we don't know that we have a problem, and that's a big big problem in it self. our past has shown us that despite our best efforts we are always vanquished by these north and central americans who is almost guaranteed all the points whenever we match up with them, be it home or way.

and until these monkeys sitting in the seat of these sporting disciplines humble themselves and realize that we need plenty help fixing this problem, then we will always send our children abroad to be embarrassed. you ever really wonder why de leon and zamora refused to represent us? no one wants to be put in such a predicament.

TT football needs plenty plenty help, and since we are an oil rich nation who could more than afford to get the help that we need, i'm still here baffled as to why we wont. oh i forgot, monkeys have huge egos....."we don't need no white man telling us what to do, we got this". pathetic.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 05:05:49 AM by pull stones »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2022, 07:52:27 AM »
There is no doubt that at the core the issue is one of fundamentals. It's also one of ignorance: they don't know what they don't know, they doh care what they doh know and the conditions on the ground don't lend themselves to exposing either form of ignorance. So the stage on which the fundamentals and ignorance are exposed are on the regional stage.

Analysis is part of growth and is a benchmark on which others make evaluations. Rendering analysis doesn't mean that there isn't recognition about the fundamentals.

More and more, I tend to think your gloom and doom conclusions are correct (@pull stones). Football can't achieve value until people in football achieve value.

But there's also the risk of a faulty conclusion: I haven't seen enough to suggest KJ is a horrible coach. Some ppl want to jump to that conclusion because it serves their narrative (inexperienced coach with a high value piece of paper --- as if he didn't earn it).
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 02:02:17 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2022, 01:59:52 PM »
Thanks to TTFA media personnel for publishing Bev Priestman's comments post-match, without prompting. Both coaches comments tell a tale of the full script and historically we hadn't been getting that without prompting.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2022, 02:21:15 PM »
Reboot Time: Women Warriors train guns on Costa Rica tomorrow
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

What’s done is done. Now, women’s national football team head coach Kenwyne Jones is refocusing on Trinidad and Tobago’s next assignment at the CONCACAF Women’s Championship, when they come up against Costa from 7 p.m. tomorrow in Monterrey, Mexico.

Jones tried his best to mask sombre emotions, following his team’s tournament-opening 6-0 defeat to Olympic champions Canada on Tuesday night. But positive results in their final two preliminary Group B matches can still see the Women Warriors into at least an inter-continental playoff in New Zealand next February, for a chance to capture a berth in the 2023 Women’s World Cup.

“We dust ourselves off,” stated Jones at Tuesday’s post-match conference. “We have two more games to go and (we) definitely try to turn our minds on to the next two games.”

Canada ultimately proved too tough a test for T&T. Twice CONCACAF champions (1998 and 2010) and runners-up five times (1991, ‘94, 2002, ‘06 and ‘18) behind the USA, the Canadian women have won all nine meetings with T&T, outscoring the Caribbean team 40-1. Canada also won 6-0 the last time they met, at the 2016 CONCACAF Women’s Olympic Qualifying Championship in Houston.

Jones acknowledged there was no cohesion between his hard-working traditional defenders and the midfield which was too open both on the flanks and down the middle.

“We needed to be closer to Canada in the middle of the park and we paid a price for it,” Jones assessed.

“We were a little bit sluggish in trying to get out the box (penalty area) and kind of keeping our units a little bit tighter. Again, I think it was down to bravery, a little bit... and we needed a little bit more of that (bravery),” Jones stated.

He also felt there was a lack of belief and hesitancy by his team to play forward, even in the brief moments when they had the chance to do so. “If we were able to do that and when we recovered the ball, play a bit, I think the game might have been a little bit tighter than it was,” noted Jones. He added: “But unfortunately enough, the belief of the team kind of went and we kind of got stuck, waiting (at the top) of the 18-yard box -- which was not a good thing.”

Canadian coach Beverly Priestman acknowledged the first half defensive effort made by Trinidad and Tobago and said that the reward came following a quadruple substitution early in the second half when she withdrew both attackers, including veteran superstar Christine Sinclair.

While T&T faded, Priestman felt her new recruits would bring energy to Canada and that the goal would eventually come. “Teams are showing us respect and defending incredibly well and that’s a great test for us, said the Englishwoman. “The group that started earned us the right in the second half to get the goals. We knew that would be the case and hence why I was front-footed on the substitutions,” added Priestman.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2022, 07:27:40 PM »
All of your above post, seeker.  :beermug:

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2022, 08:54:53 AM »
Hati needs to draw with JA to qualify for the WC T&T needs to beat Panama to go to the play offs .

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2022, 09:11:11 AM »
 You go to war with a slingshot up against cannons- yuh go get your arse  blown up fuh goals doh matter who coaching-

One of the poorest economies in the Caribbean- Haiti looking dat good- tell meh what de fak is  really doing with football development in TnT?
Getting downright embarrassing

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2022, 09:37:23 AM »
You go to war with a slingshot up against cannons- yuh go get your arse  blown up fuh goals doh matter who coaching-

One of the poorest economies in the Caribbean- Haiti looking dat good- tell meh what de fak is  really doing with football development in TnT?

You don't know there are very wealthy Haitians in Haiti, Miami, NY, Montreal, France who support Haitian football, unlike our well to do Trinis. I beg to differ that because they "poor" that they don't have resources for football. Football is in their DNA. Not so in TT.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2022, 09:55:39 AM »

You don't know there are very wealthy Haitians in Haiti, Miami, NY, Montreal, France who support Haitian football, unlike our well to do Trinis. I beg to differ that because they "poor" that they don't have resources for football. Football is in their DNA. Not so in TT.
9 of the 11 starters play in France 1 or 2 division. (France women team currently ranked #1 - in addition to the football culture of the country).
1 of 11 is NCAA. 1 the goalie I think might be in Germany.
As for the Canadians, even higher leagues.
When you’re immersed and surrounded by quality, one’s level naturally improves. Add in a steady and consistent recipe and your product will always be good and sometimes great.
We on the other hand immersed in negative football culture (unless we win), no recipe, suspect admin and cooks, players from vastly inferior leagues - poor soil with very little water, volunteer farmers, community ready to invest and purchase foreign goods. Yet constantly expecting and disappointed in our local product. It’s a wonder we produce anything at all. I applaud the ppl (players and staff) who still keep trying and working with what they have.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2022, 10:24:06 AM »

9 of the 11 starters play in France 1 or 2 division. (France women team currently ranked #1 - in addition to the football culture of the country).
1 of 11 is NCAA. 1 the goalie I think might be in Germany.
As for the Canadians, even higher leagues.
When you’re immersed and surrounded by quality, one’s level naturally improves. Add in a steady and consistent recipe and your product will always be good and sometimes great.
We on the other hand immersed in negative football culture (unless we win), no recipe, suspect admin and cooks, players from vastly inferior leagues - poor soil with very little water, volunteer farmers, community ready to invest and purchase foreign goods. Yet constantly expecting and disappointed in our local product. It’s a wonder we produce anything at all. I applaud the ppl (players and staff) who still keep trying and working with what they have.

Well You see they are 1, 2, 3 up on we. I watched that Haiti U20 team play,  and there is no you can tell me that the team was not training for sometime. They lost because of the goalkeeper's errors. Plus JA put a very stout defensive effort. And YES the admin. of football is sorely lacking in a very bad way.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2022, 10:52:24 AM »
What you guys failed to realize is Hati is a football country soccer is the#1 sport in Hati T&T is not a football country they pretend they are a football country but they not .

Hati built there football system after the Brazilian system a style similar to there's they will always play better football than we do in T&T a country with a Latin culture build there football of the English system they will always be a bunch of losers.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2022, 05:14:39 PM »
Any links streaming the game would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2022, 05:54:38 PM »

Quit while yuh ahead. Spare yourself the train wreck.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2022, 05:57:30 PM »

Quit while yuh ahead. Spare yourself the train wreck.
streambee.to  I hear yuh. 3-0 at d half. Another 6? *sigh*

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2022, 07:11:33 PM »
So...where to start....so not wanting to sound overly critical...this team was underprepared. The team has talent but a decent coach would have focused and emphasized on the small things and making sure that they are done consistently well... mind you, the intent is not to make this team into a world cup winning team, light years away from that, but into a decent team that can compete well on the international level.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2022, 10:59:40 PM »
We are back to familiar ground for a NT... bottom of a group, 0 points accumulated, woeful goal difference when compared to the other team on 0 points ... and incredulously ... still possessed with the possibility of qualifying - although nothing about the team's play suggests we have what it takes to earn 3 points against Panama.

At this point Panama knows all the things they need to do to chase 6 goals of their own. Even if the technical staff knows what to do to hurt Panama, there is NOTHING about the team's play to suggest there will be execution on the field.

Sadly, Panama is the presumptive favorite when the whistle blows.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2022, 11:04:20 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lVPuQiWJNa8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lVPuQiWJNa8</a>

Post-match comments by Kenwyne Jones, head coach.

These comments were more extensive than the first match ... and they didn't even amount to 3 minutes of his content. What the arse is happening with T&T sports media ? We are sport posers.

KJ like yuh realizing yuh bet the family farm on the wrong leadership franchise.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:09:50 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2022, 06:17:23 AM »

I cam here this morning to read the usual excuses and lame assessments from the same posters in here after another humiliating defeat.

KJ post match comments have become predictable

Again the team play shiiiittt and the coach we can see has no clue what he is doing.

We like it so https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrinbago/posts/pfbid0TA1qABzncZH9J9MdrgtW4AyG4xtkhC42RVBrPv2QtCwwQR5D3jV4mhn2vLHqNivwl

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2022, 06:41:39 AM »
So...where to start....so not wanting to sound overly critical...this team was underprepared. The team has talent but a decent coach would have focused and emphasized on the small things and making sure that they are done consistently well... mind you, the intent is not to make this team into a world cup winning team, light years away from that, but into a decent team that can compete well on the international level.

Like most TT teams,.this team was underprepared.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2022, 07:37:19 AM »

I cam here this morning to read the usual excuses and lame assessments from the same posters in here after another humiliating defeat.

Again the team play shiiiittt and the coach we can see has no clue what he is doing.

We like it so https://www.facebook.com/TeamTrinbago/posts/pfbid0TA1qABzncZH9J9MdrgtW4AyG4xtkhC42RVBrPv2QtCwwQR5D3jV4mhn2vLHqNivwl

Yuh sure dahis why yuh came here? Or, was it to post a link to the other place?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2022, 10:50:11 AM »

Yuh sure dahis why yuh came here? Or, was it to post a link to the other place?

Yeah boy ah surree ..ah sure to come back and read you defending more shiit coaching from KJ after next game. Ah sure about that and hopefully the next place have a link about that too

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2022, 11:32:40 AM »
A night to forget for T&T’s Women Soca Warriors
By Colin Murray (T&T Guardian)

Understandably, those of you who stayed up to watch the Women Soca Warriors take on the currently sixth-ranked team in the world—Canada—in the opening group B match of the 2022 CONCACAF Women’s Championship would have been disappointed.

Not only would the result have left you dismayed, but an examination of the match stats, all were in favour of Canada—37 shots to one, with the lonesome shot from T&T being a header from the edge of the penalty area; shots on target: 13 to one; possession: 74 per cent to 26 per cent; passes: 590 to 222; and; corners 8 to 0.

Let us not lose sight of the fact that Canada is ranked 2nd in CONCACAF, just one position behind the United States and, as mentioned, sixth in the world and has some tremendous players in their squad.

Janine Beckie, one of Canada’s forwards, was a nightmare for the T&T defenders. Her movement off the ball, her positional play and her dribbling ability were all exceptional to witness.

In addition, before the match kicked off, Christine Sinclair scored 189 goals in 310 games for Canada and when she scored 2 in January 2020 against St Kitts and Nevis, she set a new international record.

Then, you have a player like Julia Grosso who plies her trade for Serie A club Juventus coming on as a substitute and scoring 2 goals. In a nutshell, this match-up was always going to be an uphill task for the Women Soca Warriors.

Defensively, they did not look as bad for most of the game. Coach Kenwyne Jones was tactically trying to clog the midfield and not give the Canadians room to manoeuvre the ball. For 66 minutes, it worked. Although the Warriors, at that point, were down 1-0, they were fighting to stay in the game.

However, when the second goal was scored, it took the fight out of the team and they crumbled under visible fatigue and subsequently conceded another 4 goals in the final 11 minutes losing 6-0 and ending a miserable, forgettable night for T&T.

Until those final 23 minutes of downfall began when the score was 1-0, T&T’s central defenders Victoria Swift and Rhea Belgrave were excellent.

Time and time again they were clearing balls that were coming from every direction into their box. At the same time, the Canadians were smart; they attacked from wide positions with their full-backs Ashley Lawrence and Jayde Riviere driving forward beyond the likes of Beckie and Deanne Rose and caused problems for the T&T defence.

None of the Soca Warriors midfielders was getting back to assist their wingbacks by marking off the wide players for Canada. As a result, the balls just kept coming into the box with goalkeeper Kimika Forbes having to make some good saves in the first half to keep the score down to just one goal.

Perhaps coach Kenwyne Jones was trying to do damage control before the game started and was hoping to keep the score down to 2 or even three goals because goal difference could play a part at the end of the tournament.

While the team defended well, there was no outlet up front to try and hold the ball and give the midfielders a chance to come forward and create a goal-scoring opportunity. When T&T won possession, they were looking to pass the ball back instead of trying to go forward and that, in itself, created a problem as the Canadians quickly closed them down and when a defender cleared the ball upfield, there was no white shirt for T&T within 15 metres of the ball.

One observation that must have been concerning for any coach was at corner kicks.

Too many times, the Canadians were playing them short and at no time were they closed down by T&T. To be frank, the tactics seemed strange. The other players for the Soca Warriors never got going because they just did not get enough of the ball. Up front, Brianna Austin was like the Lone Ranger and she didn’t even have Tonto for support.

Also noteworthy was the fact that midfielders Raenah Campbell, Asha James and Kedie Johnson were never allowed to get into the game by the tough Canadian outfit.

Broadly speaking, the tournament has started off with a bang. Group A is arguably the toughest group with the likes of Mexico, the USA, Jamaica and Haiti all fighting to make the top 2.

One would have thought it was easy for the USA to be followed by Mexico but what an upset by the Reggae girls defeating Mexico by 1-0 and although they only had 34 per cent of the possession, it’s goals that count and they were able to score through their talented striker Khadija Shaw who is a handful. Despite Jamaica’s Havana Solaun missing a penalty, they were able to hold on for a remarkable victory. They are a confident bunch and may very well qualify for back-to-back Women’s World Cups.

One has to remember that these women have many incentives to play for as this tournament serves as the region’s final round of qualifying for the FIFA Women’s World Cup to be held in Australia and New Zealand in 2023.

The top two teams in each group earn spots in the World Cup automatically. Additionally, the winner of the event will get an automatic berth for the 2024 Olympics in France as well as the 2024 Gold Cup. On the other hand, the two third-place finishers in each group advance to a ten-nation intercontinental playoff in February of 2023 to decide the final three places for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.

So, as can be seen, all is not lost. There is still plenty to play for. Next, up is Costa Rica (tomorrow, July 8th at 7 pm) followed by Panama (Monday, July 11th at 7 pm).

Both are good teams but Jones should be confident that if he puts in the hard work before the next game and gets his tactics right the Women Soca Warriors can do it. Costa Rica, in particular, is going to be tough to beat but I am sure he has done his homework and has analysed the strengths and weaknesses of his opponents. If he can make some adjustments to T&T’s attacking formation, who knows? The women may very well make the nation proud.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2022, 12:08:03 PM »

Like most TT teams,.this team was underprepared.
Deeks, apart from being under prepared, the team is lacking in adequately skilled players.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2022, 12:18:29 PM »
World Cup chances dented as Women Warriors lose 4-0 to Costa Rica
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

THE TRINIDAD and Tobago Women’s Warriors suffered a 4-0 defeat to Costa Rica which dented their chances of qualifying for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup and the semifinals of the Concacaf Women’s Championship.

The match between T&T and Costa Rica was played at the Estadio Universitario in San Nicolas de los Garza, Mexico, on Friday.

T&T have now lost back-to-back matches to start the tournament and their chances of qualifying for the next round look slim.

T&T’s best chance of qualifying for the 2023 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand is defeating Panama on Monday. If T&T finish third in Group B they will qualify for the inter-confederation playoffs.

After press time on Friday, Canada played Panama in another Group B clash. Canada defeated T&T 6-0 on Tuesday and would have been favourites to defeat Panama.

T&T’s Kedie Johnson got a second yellow card in the 22nd minute for a late tackle which made life difficult for the Women Warriors.

Four minutes before Johnson was sent off Costa Rica opened the scoring. Following a short corner, the ball was played to the unmarked Cristin Granados at the top of the box and she struck the ball in the roof of the net to beat T&T goalkeeper Kimika Forbes.

Before Johnson was sent off Costa Rica had the lion’s share of possession, but after the red card T&T were on the back foot even more.

Forbes did a solid job in goal to keep the score line 1-0.

However in the 33rd minute, Costa Rica doubled their advantage following a Lauryn Hutchinson own goal.

Hutchinson, in attempting to the clear the ball following a corner kick, could only put the ball into her own net.

In the 36th minute, Melissa Herrera almost made it 3-0 with a shot from 18 yards out that just sailed over the crossbar.

Costa Rica continued to press as in the 42nd minute T&T just survived after Forbes made an error.

After Forbes failed to hold on to the ball following a cross, the ball fell to a Costa Rica player but the T&T defence cleared their lines.

Costa Rica had time to find a third goal before the halftime whistle.

Granados scored her second goal when her shot from the top of the 18-yard box deflected off T&T defender Victoria Swift and into the goal.

Against the run of play, Jolie St Louis had an attempt on goal for T&T from a few yards out but her attempt went wide.

In the 48th minute, Costa Rica captain Katherine Alvarado scored the goal of the match to make it 4-0.

Alvarado’s strike from 30 yards out went into the roof of the net.

Costa Rica continued to dominate and create chances in the second half.

Maria Paula Salas and Priscila Chinchilla both got chances on goal. Salas’s effort did not find the target and Chincilla’s attempt in the 63rd minute was easily saved by Forbes.

Forbes had some moments in the match as she came up with a brilliant save in the 66th minute to deny Alvarado.

In the 70th minute, Costa Rica could have gotten a penalty but the Video Assistant Referee agreed it was not a foul by T&T.

TEAMS

Trinidad and Tobago (4-2-3-1): 1.Kimika Forbes (GK); 3.Shadi Cecily Stoute, 4.Rhea Belgrave (13.Amaya Ellis 80), 8.Victoria Swift, 2.Chelsi Jadoo; 14.Karyn Forbes (captain), 20.Lauryn Hutchinson (7.Liana Hinds 50); 18.Maria-Frances Serrant (16.Cayla Mc Farlane 75), 9.Brianna Austin (12.Chelcy Ralph 80), 6.Kedie Johnson [Red card 22]; 17.Jolie St Louis (11.Raenah Campbell 50).

Unused substitutes: 21.Tenesha Palmer (GK), 22.K’lil Keshwar (GK), 5.Shaunalee Govia, 10.Asha James, 15.Tori Paul, 19.Maya Matouk, 23.Sarah De Gannes.

Coach: Kenwyne Jones

Costa Rica (4-2-3-1): 23.Daniel Solera (GK), 3.María Paula Coto, 20.Fabiola Villalobos, 4.Mariana Benavides, 8.Daniela Cruz; 16.Katherine Alvarado (captain) (21.Viviana Chinchilla 74), 15.Cristin Granados; 7.Melissa Herrera, 11.Raquel Rodríguez (10.Shirley Cruz 61), 14.Priscilla Chinchilla (2.Gabriela Guillén 73); 19.María Paula Salas (9.Carolina Venegas 61).

Unused substitutes: 1.Noelia Bermúdez (GK), 18.Priscilla Tapia (GK), 5.Valeria Del Campo, 6.Carol Sánchez, 12.Lixy Rodríguez, 13.Emilie Valenciano, 17.Michelle Montero, 22.Cristel Sandi.

Coach: Amelia Valverde

Referee: Francia Gonzales (Mexico)

VAR: Katia Garcia (Mexico)

1]; } ?>