March 28, 2024, 03:34:40 AM

Author Topic: 2022 World Athletics U20 Championships, Cali Colombia  (Read 2098 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2022 World Athletics U20 Championships, Cali Colombia
« on: August 01, 2022, 07:01:13 PM »
Day 1 available here.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 04:06:02 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 World Athletics U20 Championships, Cali Colombia
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 10:56:35 PM »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 04:49:44 AM »
Video not available in this neck of the woods.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 07:42:44 AM »
Not even a 4th place ?

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 03:11:57 PM »
@Deeks.. the ghosts of 2012. We had a decent Olympics in 2012. 4 medals. Multiple athletes in the finals. Them jokers running track in TT thought that their minimal contribution and poor preparation was enough to get future success in Track and Field. Hence, they continued with their minimal contribution and preparation. This is why the "10 golds by 2024" initiative or whatever they want to call it, has been killed and buried. Nothing has been done to improve the success of 2012. Nothing. This is why we went from 4medals, to 1, to 0. We used to walk away with a medal or two from the world juniors. Now the results are too embarrassing to even look at. Trust me on this one, the talent is there. But the infrastructure I beyond dismal. Reminds me of Spain in the World cup. Traditionally Spain has always been the underachievers in Football. Spain eventually turned things around after decades of not making out of the group stage. Let's hope we turn things around. All we got is hope and faith.

I was in Tobago not too long ago. And what I can tell you is that that's where the track and field talent is. Tobago is small, but their youth programs and organization is further ahead than it is in Trinidad.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 06:30:45 PM »
If TO TF is ahead of Tr. why are they not on the national teams. 

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 07:01:30 AM »
Tobago still has to go through Trinidad to make it to the next level. Ato always pointed out that the transition from junior to senior is difficult. But it seems much more difficult for Trinbagonians.

Tobago has better development than Trinidad. The schools in Tobago often match the Trini schools at the national championships.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 10:17:54 PM »
Tobago still has to go through Trinidad to make it to the next level. Ato always pointed out that the transition from junior to senior is difficult. But it seems much more difficult for Trinbagonians.

Tobago has better development than Trinidad. The schools in Tobago often match the Trini schools at the national championships.

Tobago has better development than Trinidad. The schools in Tobago often match the Trini schools at the national championships

This maybe well be true. But after development there appears to be a fall off. We can't seem to get our talent together on both islands. Something is definitely wrong.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 05:21:10 AM »
Our best medal hope  was in the men's High jump and he DNS
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 05:26:35 AM »
Our best medal hope  was in the men's High jump and he DNS

Oh well. Next year.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2022, 05:40:41 AM »
Shaniqua Bascombe reached the semi-final round of the women’s 200 metres event at the World Athletics U20 Championships in Cali, Colombia, yesterday.

Bascombe finished fourth in the opening first round heat in 23.63 seconds to advance to the semis on time. The Trinidad and Tobago sprinter was 12th fastest in the heats.

Bascombe exited the event in the semi-final round. She finished fifth in the second heat and 18th overall in 23.82 seconds. The top eight sprinters progressed to today’s championship race.

“I feel good,” Bascombe said in an interview on NAAATT social media, after her half-lap semi-final.

“I didn’t make it to the semi-finals in the 100, so making it to the semi-finals here makes me feel proud, and makes me understand the kind of work I have to put in.”

Anthony Diaz landed the spear 55.38 metres for eighth spot in Group “B” of the men’s javelin. The T&T athlete was 17th overall, and did not qualify for the final.

Jaden De Souza, Shakeem McKay, Elijah Simmons and Revell Webster combined for a 40.77 seconds clocking in the men’s 4x100m relay. Anchorman Webster crossed the line fifth in heat four.

T&T, though, were later promoted to third following the disqualification of Colombia and France. T&T finished 13th overall, and did not advance to the final.

T&T were also eliminated in the women’s 4x1. Reneisha Andrews, Bascombe, Kayla Caesar and Kyah La Fortune teamed up for sixth spot in heat one and 14th overall in 46.44 seconds.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2022, 05:43:01 AM »
Fellahs, what must we do to make these youths improve. Sylum, god on the pitch, Ato, trini2026, all the forumites. what what what what!!!!!

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 07:12:19 AM »
It strikes me that the TTNAAA has not consulted with Ato. Ato is probably the best resource we have to give insight into creating a good 10 year development plan. These old heads only planning meets and getting the same results. 10 golds be 2024 was a damn joke so was their recent response to the dismal performance ...  "TT track is in a transition". Wdf is that. All of our WJ hopefuls have never made a successful transition. Also we lacking consistency big time. It's easy to identify the problems, but putting a plan together is where them old heads falter. How is that we can go from medal hopefuls in some events to not even making a final a year or two years later. My message to the old heads "there's carnival, then there's track and field, you can't plan track and field like carnival.."

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 09:21:58 AM »
I don't know that there is a fix at this point. The well dried up - this is just the result. our HJ would have medaled or won but that is a different story.

The drought has begun and it's not going to be pretty - it has to run its course before some new things get discovered.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 09:47:07 AM »
Totally impressed by India mixed 4x400 relay performance. Chased the US to the line. Time for us to make a concerted effort to expand our selection pool ( with the help of both foreign and local).

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2022, 10:41:50 AM »
Make training and preparation for events easy for athletes. One thing I heard about JA is that the training grounds are easily accessible, regardless of who is training. The clubs in JA don't have to go through the red tape like the clubs in TT. The JAAA also has good support from corporate JA. They might not cut pay checks for the young athletes, but they make sure they are healthy enough to make it to training.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2022, 10:57:37 AM »
Totally impressed by India mixed 4x400 relay performance. Chased the US to the line. Time for us to make a concerted effort to expand our selection pool ( with the help of both foreign and local).

Seen! Even viewing the individual athletes outside of the relays (Chopra/javelin, Rupal et al), I returned to this issue. As the runners were working through the rounds, it was evident that this issue has to be tackled head-on.

It has appeared on the forum from time to time and I raised it among stakeholders during the past year, but I don't think there is a proper appreciation of the activism and initiative required to rise above the status quo with intentionality. There's a lot of "dahis how it is" as the response, but lehwe be honest: dahis NOT good enough for sport policymaking.

Regardless, there are hurdles to be surmounted ... even Rupal has said her father didn't want her running. She then went on a hunger strike until he relented ... now, as these things go, he is fully aboard.

You "seeing" this, suggests you should "see" why diversity in England is relevant to us. I eh done wid dat yet. Hold tight.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2022, 11:01:59 AM »
I don't know that there is a fix at this point. The well dried up - this is just the result. our HJ would have medaled or won but that is a different story.

The drought has begun and it's not going to be pretty - it has to run its course before some new things get discovered.

The RIDICULOUS thing has been the casual and insulting response from the organization regarding the events that led to the DNS. Tired ah di jackassness.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 11:03:31 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2022, 11:27:21 PM »
I think people like Ato, Kelly Ann, Thompson, Jerhue, Lalond, Solomon should be heading into coaching/administration. We need new blood to short circuit the guava season.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2022, 01:10:08 PM »
No quick fixes for something that started a long time ago - we got distracted by some relay success and ignored the OBVIOUS - declining Carifta results and officials saying oh nothing to see here - nothing on the track for at the last 4 world juniors now - etc etc etc

NO person can fix this immediately - and quite frankly who can we point to and say ah - that's the junior athlete that looks like contending/dominant PRO is in their future? Because I haven't seen him/her of late
BORN TO DO IT

1]; } ?>