March 28, 2024, 04:39:51 PM

Author Topic: Commonwealth Games 2022  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Commonwealth Games 2022
« on: July 28, 2022, 09:21:47 AM »
From TTExpress July 24 2022

Tyra Gittens is hungry for Commonwealth Games success.

“I’m going to starve myself until I get there,” the Trinidad and Tobago athlete declared. “I literally eat, breathe and sleep this.”

On Saturday, Gittens was eliminated from the World Championship women’s long jump. She finished 19th in qualifying with a 6.44 metres leap at Hayward Field here in Eugene, Oregon, USA., and then immediately switched her focus to the July 28 to August 8 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, England.

Gittens, who switched from the heptathlon to the individual long jump and high jump this season, plans to go medal hunting in both events in Birmingham. The final decision, however, will be made after consultation with her coach, Haitian-born Canadian Edrick Floreal.

“We’ll see what he says,” Gittens told the Express, “but for now, long and high. I don’t mind doing both to take my mind off of something. I like to do a lot. My mind needs that stimulation. Focusing on one thing has been so hard. But while the hep was definitely my personality, I don’t regret not going back to it.

“That decision,” she continued, “was fully to preserve my body and my professional career. I did a lot collegiately.”

Last year, Gittens finished tenth in the Olympic Games long jump final, and also produced a 6.96m national record leap. The 2022 season has not been as successful. Her best jump to date this year is 6.69.

“We all have to face it no matter what we’re doing in life. We all have those seasons. I think I’m going through mine. But I’m happy because it’s kind of early in my career and I’m a pretty good swimmer, so I think I’ll make it.”

Gittens said her World Championship disappointment makes the Commonwealth Games outing all the more important.

“Oh my gosh, yes. You might not know, I’m a sore loser. I will do it with a smile, but you should see my journal. And it’s not against the athletes. It’s just that I know what I can do. I have so much faith, and my support group, my family, they don’t let stuff slide. Obviously they’re proud of me because of where I am, but they know what I’m capable of and they know when I’m not there.

“They hold me accountable,” Gittens continued, “and so does my fiancé (Donavan Spotsville). He’s a very important person in my life and my career right now. When stuff doesn’t go good, it’s disappointing, but not because I feel like I let anybody down. It’s because I know what I can do, I know I represent a lot, and it means a lot to me.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Commonwealth Games 2022
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 09:28:55 AM »
After the opening ceremony this evening at the refurbished Alexander Stadium in Birmingham, Team TTO athletes will embark on the 2022 edition in the English cosmopolitan city.

Defending women’s 100m champion Michelle-Lee Ahye is expected to bear the flag and lead the T&T contingent out in an elaborate ceremony at that stadium, a venue that doubles as the main athletics site.

But the real sporting action serves off tomorrow morning. TTO’s first main medal threat for the Games will centre around swimmer Dylan Carter, who splashes off in the men’s 50m butterfly preliminaries at the spanking new Sandwell Aquatics Centre—swimming prelims get under way from 5.30 a.m. to 8.15 a.m. (T&T time)—in an event in which the 26-year-old local swim star produced a silver medal at the 2018 Gold Coast version.

His performance here—with the semi-finals scheduled in the evening session (2 p.m. to 4.45 p.m. T&T time)—will be a key indicator if Team TTO is to match, or even surpass, their three-medal haul (two gold, one silver) at that Australia edition of the Games in 2018.

T&T’s best Commonwealth Games showing occurred at the 1966 Kingston, Jamaica-hosted Games with a nine-medal haul (five gold, two silver, two bronze).

“Commonwealth is a special one for me, it was my first international medal at a senior level... it is a little bit lighter atmosphere than the Olympics, that cuts the tension because everyone is so friendly and it is really a special games,” said Carter, who trained at the University of Stirling in Scotland after last month’s FINA World Aquatics Championships in Budapest.

“Of course, the silver medal at Gold Coast last time was a special moment in my career... so would like to repeat that effort or even do one better. But the competition is very stiff and I am coming up against some of the world’s best. I think swimmers from the Commonwealth have really come on in the last few years and this meet is going to be world-class,” he added.

Carter is coming off a fourth-placed finish in this event at the Worlds last month. Besides Carter, his teammate Graham Chatoor will line up in the prelims of the men’s 400m free.

At the National Exhibition Centre, T&T’s female representatives in table-tennis, Rheann Chung and Catherine Spicer will start the women’s team event qualifying round one in a competition that serves off from 4.30 a.m. (T&T time), and provided they advance, the women’s team event preliminary round two from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Also from 7 a.m., Team TTO tackle hosts England, the defending Commonwealth champions, in netball action at the NEC Arena. There will also be round of 64 preliminary action for TTO’s squash players, including Charlotte Knaggs and Chayse McQuan in the women’s and men’s competition, respectively, at the University of Birmingham Hockey and Squash Centre. Squash whips off from 7 to 10.15 a.m.

And at Sutton Park TTO’s four triathletes, namely Jenna Ross, Kaya Rankine-Beadle, Jason Costelloe and Jean-Marc Granderson will get their multi-discipline sport under way between 6 a.m. to 11 a.m.

Team TTO’s 110-member contingent at the Games includes 73 athletes competing in 12 sporting disciplines; aquatics, athletics, basketball (3x3), beach volleyball, boxing, cycling, gymnastics, judo, netball, squash, table-tennis and triathlon.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 06:30:42 PM »
Commonwealth  Games- now we getting up to our speed. World Championships and Olympics- is like we blight

How could our world class athletes drop off so quickly meanwhile Dominican Republic picking up pace.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 09:34:24 PM »
Commonwealth  Games- now we getting up to our speed. World Championships and Olympics- is like we blight

How could our world class athletes drop off so quickly meanwhile Dominican Republic picking up pace.

DR has a much bigger talent pool than us. 10 million. Plus they doing the right things. Whatever those things are, we need to know.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 09:10:12 AM »
It's really time to rethink these ' Common Wealth Games'  seems now like a glorification of  an old British colonial empire hosting those who were once colonized!!!!
Is this reason to celebrate and host? Should this  even exist under this banner? In the opening  ceremonies- even had to sign ' God Save the Queen"

I recalled even  in standard 7 back in the days lining up in rows and standing in teh hot sun to sing this at school. I refused- and quickly  teacher playing  colonial master  cracked a whip on my arse for not singing!!!!

Why do I need to glorify the  royal masters who reigned domination over the colonizers? and today with this realization I watch  these games with a new awakening of what it symbolize- just my opinion

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 09:54:48 PM »
It's really time to rethink these ' Common Wealth Games'  seems now like a glorification of  an old British colonial empire hosting those who were once colonized!!!!
Is this reason to celebrate and host? Should this  even exist under this banner? In the opening  ceremonies- even had to sign ' God Save the Queen"

I recalled even  in standard 7 back in the days lining up in rows and standing in teh hot sun to sing this at school. I refused- and quickly  teacher playing  colonial master  cracked a whip on my arse for not singing!!!!

Why do I need to glorify the  royal masters who reigned domination over the colonizers? and today with this realization I watch  these games with a new awakening of what it symbolize- just my opinion

There is nothing wrong with the games. It is just that our sports sucks and we don't or can't even win bronze medals. At one time it was real important. But now it has be relegate a tier down. The World TF championship is more important, at least for TF athletes. Evn PanAm games has dropped to tiers. But it is important that our athletes participate.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 09:43:17 AM »

There is nothing wrong with the games. It is just that our sports sucks and we don't or can't even win bronze medals. At one time it was real important. But now it has be relegate a tier down. The World TF championship is more important, at least for TF athletes. Evn PanAm games has dropped to tiers. But it is important that our athletes participate.

:beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 05:15:10 PM »
Quote from: Deeks link=topic=66961 :D ;).msg1004513#msg1004513 date=1659498888

Why do I need to glorify the  royal masters who reigned domination over the colonizers? and today with this realization I watch  these games with a new awakening of what it symbolize  )- just my opinion

Apps, ABT, soon you would stop writing English and move back Africa. Yet careful dem doh frustrate yuh by being happy to participate in the games. “ God save everybody oui “ . I looking on the bright side, colonization as bad as it was, made me born Trini 😆 God is good, even with the few of us he saved on the trip. Now if we could only help the rest of the Caribbean win everybody.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 12:34:44 PM »
Jareem in the 200 final

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 03:13:21 PM »
Jareem in the 200 final

DahDreammm JAreem  :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 08:13:14 PM »
Absolutely fantastic.  And hitting the sub-20 mark. 👍🏿👍🏿👍🏿😎

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 11:05:47 PM »
It is rare that an athlete repeat a win in an event in a four year games. I think Don Quarrie and Frankie Fredericks are the others to repeat at CW games. Big up Jereem!!!!!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2022, 05:57:53 AM »
Just heard we won silver in the men's 4x100.  :wavetowel:

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2022, 07:00:16 AM »
He is living in the sub 20s. Ato's 200m national record is a whisker a way. Jereem is capable of 19.7x by the end of the year. From what I seen yesterday, he can touch low 19.7x.

I honestly think Jereem would have medalled at the world Champs in the 400m. Too many blazing guns in the 200m right now.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2022, 09:28:09 AM »
IF he'd had that lane at Worlds in the final it would have been a different race - behind Lyles.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2022, 10:29:11 AM »
IF he'd had that lane at Worlds in the final it would have been a different race - behind Lyles.

He definitely had low 19.8x in his tank. When I seen the lane draw, I wrote him down to 4,5 or 6. I still think he can be a medal threat in the 400m

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2022, 01:51:28 PM »
4x400 team won gold. Booooooom!!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2022, 06:34:05 AM »
Was the order of assigned relay legs correct?

The above was posted in the context of Seattle ...

How influential was the adjustment of the order to the Commonwealth Games medal?

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2022, 09:21:01 AM »

Why do I need to glorify the  royal masters who reigned domination over the colonizers? and today with this realization I watch  these games with a new awakening of what it symbolize  )- just my opinion

Apps, ABT, soon you would stop writing English and move back Africa. Yet careful dem doh frustrate yuh by being happy to participate in the games. “ God save everybody oui “ . I looking on the bright side, colonization as bad as it was, made me born Trini 😆 God is good, even with the few of us he saved on the trip. Now if we could only help the rest of the Caribbean win everybody.

This is  not a back to Africa movement but rather a  rethinking of what  the concept  of " Commonwealth" means today and what it stood for. Much like when it was the British Empire Games.  It maybe through colonization we wre all here today but  celebrating the leachy of Colonization and parading around  with ' rule Britannia' and 'God Save the Queen' is antiquated - If anything Britain should be  provide repatriation funds and riches taken from the colonies back to the  lands.

Find a different name for the  games and remove the stigma of people who were once enslaved and victims of imperialism, plundering and  looting of the riches of these lands.

What ever happened to teh Pan American games?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2022, 06:11:37 PM »

This is  not a back to Africa movement but rather a  rethinking of what  the concept  of " Commonwealth" means today and what it stood for. Much like when it was the British Empire Games.  It maybe through colonization we wre all here today but  celebrating the leachy of Colonization and parading around  with ' rule Britannia' and 'God Save the Queen' is antiquated - If anything Britain should be  provide repatriation funds and riches taken from the colonies back to the  lands.

Find a different name for the  games and remove the stigma of people who were once enslaved and victims of imperialism, plundering and  looting of the riches of these lands.

What ever happened to teh Pan American games?

ABTrini, I don't think the name of this games has any negative or pejorative effects on the athletes participating. I don't hear complaints from participating countries. All I know is that participants like to beat England in any sport. England has not dominated these games in quite a while. The Aussies dominate. They could change the name of the games, it will always be a competition for former Brits colonies.

And we don't have to participate. I think we should participate in all competitions that is open to us. Commonwealth games, CAC games, PanAm games are all " development" games for up and coming athletes, and athletes who are trying to make a rebound, or returning from injury. I think you putting too much into this.  We have  CAC games(2023), PanAm games(2023), World TF(2023) coming up next. Then Paris 2024. Our biggest worries for these games is augmenting and improving the talent in various categories. Cycling, T&F of course(we don't even do hurdles anymore), swimming, boxing, cycling. Reintroduce weightlifting. This sport was our first Olympic medals. Gymnastics. But most importantly, spending more money to develop our women athletes in all categories. If a woman was to win a bronze medal in Paris, I will be most satisfied
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 07:51:34 PM by Deeks »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2022, 08:01:56 PM »
Maybe we should participate in the South American games. Geographically we are South American and Caribbean. Aruba and Netherland Antilles participate. And we are just as close to Venezuela.

1]; } ?>