April 19, 2024, 02:26:15 AM

Author Topic: Caricom Thread  (Read 12641 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Caricom, Cuba defend TT against US
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2011, 08:16:19 AM »
I hope the TT government are looking at all contingenies in case of oil spills, equipment for blowouts, etc. We may be giving "expert" advice, but lets hope we can cover our backsides in case of trouble.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2011, 08:43:33 AM »
I think the American concerns are well-founded, but any anxiety they feel are in part due to their own obstinate insistence on maintaining the embargo.  Ironically enough the chief concerns are being felt most acutely in Florida, the center of the pro-embargo crowd.  I also think that much of the concerns regarding American assistance/cooperation are similarly overblown... depending on how the political winds blow. 

Florida (Cuba Norte) is an electoral swing state, as most of us learned 11 years ago, and so there'll always be some level of genuflecting to the anti-Castros, but there has always been a level of pragmatism where the embargo is concerned, from the US government.  This is particularly true of Democratic administrations, and even moreso under the Obama administration.  At any rate, here's the original Bloomberg article, plus another from the BBC, I think the two supplement the info in the  Newsday report, as well as adding greater context to the issue.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2011, 09:52:33 AM »
when we travel to Cuba on Canadian passport, they usually don't stamp it on entry. They stamp a piece of paper to show date of entry and that is placed within the pages of the passport (toss out after). I once asked an official if that because I travel to the US as well, he just smiled. So our passports have no indication that we ever visited cuba.

On another note.. one trip I was flying on my TandT passport, with a Canadian visa.. man ask where I was born and I say Trinidad.. well trinidad is a province in Cuba.. added my last name and the fact that I could be mistaken for a Cuban. Yea.. mankind was detained.

BTW.. cohiba cigars overrated.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2011, 10:37:35 AM »
when we travel to Cuba on Canadian passport, they usually don't stamp it on entry. They stamp a piece of paper to show date of entry and that is placed within the pages of the passport (toss out after). I once asked an official if that because I travel to the US as well, he just smiled. So our passports have no indication that we ever visited cuba.

On another note.. one trip I was flying on my TandT passport, with a Canadian visa.. man ask where I was born and I say Trinidad.. well trinidad is a province in Cuba.. added my last name and the fact that I could be mistaken for a Cuban. Yea.. mankind was detained.

BTW.. cohiba cigars overrated.

My TnT passport expired so long I might as well never had one... but one of the primary reasons ah willing to put up with the molasses-paced bureaucracy and hoggish attitude at the embassy/consul to get a new one is a desire to travel to Cuba.  Suffice to say it pretty high on my list of places to visit as complicated a risk as that might be.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2011, 05:14:10 AM »

The piece of paper is called a Tourist Visa (or was it Tourist Pass??.... :thinking:).  Anywho, I went to Cuba about 2 years ago and eh have any stamp in mih passport indicating same.   I wanted to go just out of sheer curiousity about the place.  The island is physically beautiful but the level of poverty was striking.  Once you are inside the hotel you have no idea of the living conditions of people until you step outside and see the homes of people.   Interestingly, that was the best indication of the level of poverty in the country.  The people themselves are well groomed, the streets are clean.  Oh and the 1940 - 50's cars.....that's the next indication that the place is stuck in a time warp. 

I found it interesting that I was able to watch cable TV and send email!!   :o  Also, the travel agency in T&T told me I could pay with my credit card there for my hotel stay.  Now I found that strange cuz well, is Cuba.  So ah reach and next thing I know the tour operator in Cuba told me the day after I got there that the credit card would give trouble.  I had to cross all mih fingers and toes that the transaction go through which it did after trying about 3 - 4 times.   Whew!!

All in all, I wouldn't mind going back again.....I didn't get to explore as much as I wanted to and I eh see Guantanamo yet..... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2011, 08:05:38 AM »
Sugar...

Cuba real nice. Havana must be on people list to see and many of the other historical areas.. real natural beauty as well.

Poverty.. true, but the same can be said for many other countries right here in the Caribbean. I personally think we see what we've been told to see my the media etc. Like you said the place real clean, people up to mark and I've been fortunate go to a few homes and the people are genuinely happy with what little they may have. (they love ah pork and plantain)

The thing I didn't like about Cuba is the way 'sex' is sold. man come asking me what I looking for..boy, girl.. 12,13,14.. real sick kinda thing. I had to translate a loud facking stueps for him.

Warning.. Havana is ah hustle, so act accordingly.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2011, 07:22:38 PM »
Jumbie.....

I didn't get to mix with the local people much cuz mih Spanish eh good at all and I operated like a typical tourist....did the "tours" and stayed at an All Inclusive part of the time.......The most I was able to ascertain about how people live was the short interaction I had with the tour operator on my last day in Havana.  I got a sense of a people who were very proud of being able to keep "big bad America" at bay.  But that was just one perspective and of course you have to be careful who you talk politics with.....

I didn't like the food....I got food in large quantities but tasteless.....if ah did only know ah woulda walk with salt, pepper, seasoning....in fact ah woulda go in the kitchen and cook for mih self..... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Caricom Thread
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2015, 09:44:07 AM »

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/editorial/Caricom--A-house-divided-against-itself---_18465256

THE Caribbean Community (Caricom) is committed to coordination of foreign policy and to joint collective action in furtherance of the goals of the region in international affairs. Such a mandate was a continuation of joint action in support of common positions in the negotiations on sugar and bananas dating back to the 1920s.

Its incorporation in the Treaty of Chaguaramas is recognition that small states can enhance the possibility of exercising influence in external relations through joint effort. Cooperation in international trade negotiations continues to this day, but sadly the experience in cooperation and coordination in foreign policy has been mixed and disappointing. Nowhere has the failure to maximise its already limited influence been more evident than in support of candidates.

On too many occasions, and it seems with increasing frequency in recent years, Caricom has had multiple candidates. Recently Guyana, Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago had candidates for the post of secretary general of the African Caribbean Pacific (ACP) Secretariat, and currently Guyana and Belize have candidates for the post of deputy secretary general of the Organisation of American States (OAS). Fortunately, the post, by informal agreement and tradition, is reserved for the English-speaking Caribbean.

Most disturbing of all is that Caricom has three candidates for secretary general of the Commonwealth Secretariat. The candidate from Dominica is Baroness Scotland, former Cabinet minister and now member of the House of Lords. This is obviously embarrassing and untenable. Trinidad and Tobago has put forward Mr Bhoendradatt "Bo" Tewarie, minister of planning who has no diplomatic or pertinent experience. Antigua has nominated and withdrawn (after his 'principled withdrawal' in the cause of Caricom unity) and re-nominated Guyanese-born Sir Ronald Sanders, their former high commissioner in London. It is not clear if this is a campaign tactic since the number of Caricom countries supporting Mr Sanders has not increased.

In the past when Caricom has not been able to arrive at a consensus, more than one candidate has been allowed to go forward, and this is what Antigua's Prime Minister Gaston Browne appears to be proposing. The last time the Heads of Governments of the Caricom discussed it, those in attendance postponed the decision so that they could decide at their meeting at the end of February on a single candidate that enjoys consensus.

It is vitally important for Caricom to find consensus and present a united front in its international affairs. There must be a consensus candidate, and in order for that to be achieved all three existing candidates must be withdrawn and allow the Heads of Governments to identify a consensus candidate. The region is not short of talented persons who are appropriately qualified by training and experience and who have the necessary diplomatic/political skills to be the standard-bearer for the region.

The unity of Caricom is more important than any individual candidate. If the candidates are truly committed to the region they must put the community above their personal ambitions and withdraw of their own volition.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:38:57 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Caricom: A house divided against itself.
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2015, 11:14:03 AM »
Is this a repost?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Caricom Thread
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2020, 03:03:13 AM »
Govt to partner with Caricom
SHANE SUPERVILLE (NEWSDAY).

IN ORDER to better assist the recovery of regional service industries during the pandemic, the T&T Ministry of Trade and Industry will partner with Caricom to develop a strategy for the recovery of the service sector, according to acting permanent secretary Ayleen Alleyne-Ovid.

Alleyne-Ovid made the announcement on Wednesday during her feature address at the virtual release of the National Services Exporters Survey results.

The results of the survey offered a glance of the state of the local service sector including strengths, weaknesses and potential opportunities for improvement. She said as several aspects of the service industry have been severely affected by the covid19 pandemic, the government through her ministry would work towards formulating a recovery strategy for all stakeholders.

“After first determining the economic impact of the pandemic on the regional services sector, the strategy will identify and recommend a plan of action for recovery and growth.

“This would include strengthening governance arrangements at the national and regional level; enhancing sub-sectoral targeting; and providing more targeted stimuli to aid in recovery efforts.

“We have already approached Caricom to consider what can be done, to fully utilise the market access commitments already in place under an existing trade agreement, which includes the possibility of concluding a services agreement with one of our existing trade partners.”

The virtual release also served as the launch of the National Services Exporters registry, a digital resource which serves as a database for information relating to various aspects of the local service sector from education, tourism and information and communications technology (ICT).

Alleyne-Ovid said she was confident the release of this data would be the first step towards the growth of the service sector as it would shape the policy and decisions to develop local industry.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Caricom Thread
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2023, 09:51:06 AM »
T&T opens doors to Caricom workers
... Amends Immigration Act to make access to jobs here easier
By Chester Sambrano (T&T Guardian)

Wed Mar 08 2023

The Government has proclaimed legislation which will increase the number of people from Caricom member states who can enter and work in this country, as well as allow them to do so indefinitely.

In a media statement yesterday, Foreign and Caricom Affairs Minister Dr Amery Browne announced the Proclamation of the Amendments to the Immigration (Caribbean Community Skilled Nationals) Act 2022 by President Paula-Mae Weekes.

Minister Browne said the amendments “signal Trinidad and Tobago’s ongoing commitment to the deepening and strengthening of the regional integration process, and brings Trinidad and Tobago into compliance with decisions of the Conference of Heads of Government regarding the Revised Treaty of Chaguaramas and the Free Movement Regime.”

With the amendments, the expansion of the categories of workers eligible for free movement within the region moves from 5 (University graduates, artistes, musicians, media workers and sports people) to 12 categories.

Among the additional categories are agriculture workers and security guards.

Another major development as a result of the change will see Caricom workers being allowed to stay in T&T indefinitely.

In piloting the Bill in the Lower House of Parliament in June last year, Browne explained that clause 5 amends sections 3, 4, and 4(1), which seek to harmonise the protocol for Caricom nationals at the port of entry with the decision of heads of government at the Thirteenth Regular Meeting in 2009, that all eligible categories of skilled community nationals must be granted a definite entry of six months if they present their skills certificate at a point of entry, and must receive the stamp “free movement, definite entry, right to work, verification required” in their passport.

“The receiving country has the right to verify the qualifications of the skilled national. Once verification has been completed, an indefinite stay shall be granted and the stamp entitled, “free movement, indefinite entry, right to work” must be affixed in their passport. Again, bringing us into line with the rest of the region,” he said.

As it stood before, for entry into T&T, there was an obligation to reapply within six months of entry.

Yesterday, Browne told Guardian Media a system of verification is already harmonised across member states and is in place.

He said, “Every certificate that we issue will come with an advisory letter clearly outlining rights and responsibilities.”

He explained that the Immigration Department will have two stamps - entry for 6 months, right to work, verification required.”

After verification, the other stamp would read, “Free movement indefinite right to work.”

“If the holder of the certificate is found afterwards to have false documents, is in serious breach of the law, or is a threat to national security, the Minister of National Security retains the right to revoke the status as a permitted entrant,” he said

Based on the legislation, the fine for such a breach is $100,000 and imprisonment for five years.

Commenting on the development, National Trade Union Centre (NATUC)general secretary Michael Annisette supported the move, which he described as long overdue.

“We cannot do it by ourselves, regardless of how much money you have, how much gas money, how much oil, you cannot do it by yourself. We need to come together as a body, as a region and work in unity for the development of the region,” he said.

Annisette also rubbished the narrative by some in the public space that people from other countries would be coming here to take jobs from locals.

“We need to get past that narrative, you know, ‘you coming to take my job’ because those are things that have been instilled in our minds to bring about the continued division that we have,” he said.

The provisions implemented in this country have already been in effect in other countries in the region.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>