April 27, 2024, 12:41:30 PM

Author Topic: 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup Thread  (Read 12366 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2023, 08:05:17 AM »
Coach Eve contented
T&T Express

A good result.

That is how Trinidad and Tobago’s senior men’s football team head coach Angus Eve described his team’s 0-0 draw against Haiti in their final 2023 CONCACAF Gold Cup warm-up match at District Park, Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, yesterday.

Commenting on the draw, Eve said he got what he wanted from the match and will be focussing his attention on set pieces as they gear up for their opening match of the Gold Cup on Sunday.

“This Haitian team is very well coached and you can see they are well organised. They have players playing in the top leagues all over the world and I thought the exercise was an even match and the draw was a good result. We had some good chances and they also had a number of half-chances but, all in all, it was a good exercise,” Eve assessed.

As far as the fitness of his players, Eve said they came out of the game without any major injuries and that the players acquitted themselves well in the difficult conditions.

“We came out of this match without any major injuries. Daniel Phillip got a little dead-leg but we should be able to solve that problem come game time,” said Eve, adding, “Everybody had to play.”

He continued: “We gave the group that started first a little bit more time. Both groups acquitted themselves well. The second-half group, it was a little bit difficult. It was very hot and humid so they needed about five or six minutes to get into the rhythm of the game but when they settled down, you could see the formation and the work that we have been doing,” the T&T coach noted.

Going forward, Eve said they will be working on set-pieces and how they are going to deal with free-kicks and corners.

“After this exercise, we are mainly going to concentrate on our free-kicks and corners and how we defend against free-kicks and corners. After tonight we will know the opposition that we will play in the first match. We know the other teams that are in the group and we want to go out there and put our best foot forward for the country like we have been doing,” he concluded.

T&T will play in Group A and will open their campaign on Sunday at 3.30 p.m. against either St Kitts-Nevis or French Guiana.

The second round Gold Cup qualification match between St Kitts-Nevis and French Guiana was scheduled to be played last night with the winner joining T&T, Jamaica and USA in Group A.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2023, 09:40:36 AM »
St Kitts!!!

I watched the game last night. ST Kitts football has improved tremendously. They took scalps from Curacao and French Guyana. Their goalie is a beast between the pipes. Good coach as well. I hope Eve was watching the game. Hats off to St Kitts and Nevis for making their first ever Gold Cup.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2023, 12:55:39 PM »
Warriors, Haiti goalless in final Gold Cup warm-up.
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

T&T's Soca Warriors played to a goalless draw with Haiti in a practice match at their training base in Boca Raton, Florida, USA, on Tuesday (June 20).

It is their final 11-a-side exercise before the team gets ready for its first match of the Concacaf Gold Cup on Sunday (June 25) in Fort Lauderdale. They will face the winner of the, St Kitts and Nevis and French Guiana match, which was scheduled to be played last night at 9 pm at the DRV PNK Stadium.

National coach Angus Eve said he was satisfied with the match against the Haitians, one of Concacaf's rising teams which was among the early qualifiers for the tournament, along with Canada, Costa Rica, and Honduras.

"This Haitian team is very well coached, you can see they are very well organised. They have players playing in the top leagues all over the world, but I think the exercise was an even one. A draw was a good result because we had some good chances also, but all in all, it was a good exercise."

Eve, whose 23-man team for the tournament, features a blend of experienced and young players, sees the return of midfielder Kevin Molino who had been out for a long time due to injury. The players all had the opportunity to bid for starting roles on Sunday as Eve said it's a policy in his practice matches for everyone to play.

To facilitate this, his team played in two groups.

Eve said he will now channel his focus on set pieces.

"We came out of this match without any major injuries. Daniel Phillips got a dead leg, but we should be able to solve that problem come game time. Right now, we're going to be concentrating on our freekicks, our corners, and how we defend against freekicks and corners, especially as we will know the opponent we will play in the first match by tonight.

"We know all the other teams in the group, so we want to go out there and put our best foot forward in the group and continue to represent our country as we have been doing," Eve said.

After Sunday's opening match, the second T&T game will be against their regional rival Jamaica on June 28, before they complete the group phase against the might of the USA on July 2 at the Bank of America Stadium.

Eve and his men will be hoping to improve their last performance in the Gold Cup, where they drew with Mexico 0-0 and Guatemala 1-1 before losing to El Salvador 2-0 in the group phase in 2019.

The Soca Warriors will play St Kitts/Nevis in their opening Group A match of the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup tournament on Sunday at the DRV PNK Stadium in Ft Lauderdale, US, at 3.30 pm. T&T will play Jamaica on June 28 at 7.30 pm followed by US on July 2 at 7 pm.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 01:00:32 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2023, 01:03:57 PM »
“I’m pragmatic”; Eve explains Gold Cup picks and why T&T have progressed under him.
Wired868.com.

Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Senior Team head coach Angus Eve empathized with some of his regular players, who did not make his final 23-man Gold Cup team.

However, he believes he has the “best group” for the job at hand—as the Soca Warriors look to cross swords with regional rivals Jamaica and hosts and defending Gold Cup champions, the United States.

“I want to pay homage to the guys who got us here: people like Reon Moore, Justin Garcia, [Josiah] Trimmingham, Duane Muckette, John-Paul Rochford,” Eve told the TTFA Media. “These guys have been very good for us. I just want to say that they are a part of the team but unfortunately you can only pick 23 players at this point of time.

“Nathaniel James is also doing very well. But looking at the squad that we have here, we just thought that this group was the best group we had to go forward with at this point in time.”

Eve noted too that the likes of Defence Force central defender Justin Garcia and Club Sando stopper Josiah Trimmingham have been steady whenever they got the chance. The two defenders who were on the field when Trinidad and Tobago managed clean sheets against Jamaica (twice) and Guatemala this year.

But he believes the Warriors’ defensive strength is more down to the team’s structure than any individual. And he expects to remain solid in their absences.

“Defensively we have been very good as a team, no matter what we put on the park,” said Eve. “Yes, I’m pragmatic. Yes, that’s my style. I’m not Pep Guardiola but the style is working. We’ve played six games for the season and we only received one goal so far. So the team was picked with that in mind.

“We have a nice balance of youth—some nice young players who have played under-20 and now graduating—with some good senior players and some in-between players who we think [will] augur well in the future.”

The average age of Eve’s Gold Cup team is 27.

Eve noted that 22-year-old Atletico Ottawa defender Luke Singh, who represented Trinidad and Tobago at youth level before flirting with the Canada Senior Team, accepted a call to represent the Warriors at the Gold Cup, only to be hobbled by a calf injury.

Apart from Singh, left back Keston Julien and playmaker Judah Garcia also missed the Gold Cup due to injury. However, Eve said he is happy with the balance of his current squad.

A busy winger-cum-central midfielder and Trinidad and Tobago’s most capped player, Eve said experience showed him that the strength of the group takes precedence over the individual and he is delighted with the camaraderie within his current squad.

“One of the first things I tried to bring to the group is the passion for Trinidad and Tobago football,” said Eve. “If anybody remembers me as a player, I always give 110 percent every single game—and that’s how I believe the game should be played.

“The game is very athletic today, so we need to have those sort of players and midfielders. [And] the spirit has been fantastic [in the team].”

Eve reiterated his pride in the team’s qualification for the 2023 Gold Cup and promotion to the Concacaf Nations League A, although both came about due to disciplinary action against Nicaragua for their illegal use of a naturalized player.

Trinidad and Tobago finished ahead of St Vincent and the Grenadines and The Bahamas to finish second in Group C of the 2022-23 Nations League B. As such, Eve said the Warriors earned it.

“It was no easy feat [to qualify],” he said, while suggesting that the Warriors have progressed under his tenure. “It was not like we qualified simply because of Nicaragua. We came second overall, so we deserved to be here.

“We didn’t do anything wrong. There is no shame in what we did.

“[…] We have qualified for back to back Gold Cups now, and this time we qualified directly…”

Eve confirmed that the Warriors will remain in camp for two weeks in Miami, after discussions with the Fifa-appointed Normalisation Committee.

“It is a lot of money they are spending,” said Eve, who said the Normalisation Committee has consistently supported him as head coach. “[…] We need to go out on the park and repay that faith they’ve shown in us.”

Eve acknowledged that he rubbed Trinidad and Tobago football fans the wrong way in the past with his “realistic” appraisal about the Warriors’ ability to compete. And he insisted that he has “no fear” in their Group A opponents, despite the gulf in rankings between the respective nations.

“Jamaica [are] stacked with a lot of [England] Premiership players and players playing in very good leagues from all over the world,” said Eve. “[…] The truth is we don’t have Premier League players any more [like] we used to back in the day. We don’t have players playing in the top leagues all over the world anymore—we used to.

“But the guys we have, I have 100 percent faith in them […] and the team structure we have created. We have a good solid staff with people complementing each other, and it augurs well because it passes down to the players.”

He promised the Warriors will be ready when they open their 2023 Gold Cup campaign on 25 June against one of the teams from the qualifying rounds—with Curaçao the favourites for that berth.

“We just have to go out there and be prepared and be focused on the job at hand,” said Eve.

Trinidad and Tobago players (Tabulated as club; age; caps/ goals scored)

Goalkeepers:

Denzil Smith (W Connection; 23; 1/0), Nicklas Frenderup (Ranheim IL—Norway; 30; 10/0), Marvin Phillip (AC Port of Spain; 38; 91/0);

Defenders:

Alvin Jones (Club Sando; 28; 43/2), Shannon Gomez (San Antonio FC—USA; 26; 8/0), Triston Hodge (Hartford Athletic—USA; 28; 25/0), Kareem Moses (FF Jaro—Finland; 33; 16/0), Leland Archer (Charleston Battery—USA; 27; 3/0), Sheldon Bateau (SK Beveren—Belgium; 32; 50/4), Aubrey David (SD Aucas—Ecuador; 32; 72/1);

Midfielders:

Molik Khan (Minnesota United 2—USA; 19; 4/0), Andre Rampersad (HFX Wanderers—Canada; 28; 2/0), Neveal Hackshaw (Oakland Roots SC—USA; 27; 32/2), Ajani Fortune (Atlanta United—USA; 20; 4/0), Joevin Jones (Police FC; 31; 82/12), Daniel Phillips (St Johnstone—Scotland; 22; 7/0);

Attackers:

Kaïlé Auvray (Sporting KC Academy—USA; 19; 5/0), Levi Garcia (AEK Athens FC—Greece; 25; 38/8), Kadeem Corbin (TLH Rangers; 27; 3/0), Real Gill (Club Sando; 20; 0/0), Ryan Telfer (Miami FC—USA; 29; 21/8), Kevin Molino (Columbus Crew—USA; 32; 56/22), Malcolm Shaw (Atletico Ottawa—Canada; 27; 0/0).

Editor’s Note:

Real Gill’s appearance and goal against Saint Martin are not recorded since that match was designated as a training scrimmage, while he was subbed as a substitute against Guatemala and so did not get a cap there either.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 10:16:51 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2023, 01:47:06 PM »
gawd on pitch,I suspect as you say,having 11 overseas born players doesn't work for every team,the best example being Curasao and Surinam,I know Jamaica too have come unstuck sometimes with almost a full overseas born players.I can also point out that we should have qualified for the 74 WC but I won't say much bout that,remember they,TT was all home grown.In 89 we again should have qualified but the Ref didn't give the 2 penalties he should have given,again all our players were home grown.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2023, 12:26:27 PM »
Yea. I go throw this into the mix, the foreign born might not be as passionate as the home grown. The home grown grow up wishing to represent their nation. Foreign born grow up wishing to represent their nation (Netherlands) before the nation of their parents or Grandparents.

The homegrown realize this is all they have when they're playing. But the foreign born know they gonna jump in a plane an go back to Netherlands where life is easy as a professional footballer.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2023, 12:39:21 PM »
Ex- Soca Warrior Anton Wolfe: Give Eve a chance
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

FORMER Soca Warriors player Anton Wolfe said T&T head coach Angus Eve needs to be given a chance in the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup as everyone will have their opinion on who should have been selected on the squad.

The Soca Warriors will play St Kitts/Nevis in their opening Group A match of the Gold Cup on Sunday at the DRV PNK Stadium in Ft Lauderdale, US, at 3.30 pm.

After the match against St Kitts/Nevis, T&T will play Jamaica on June 28 at 7.30 pm followed by the US on July 2 at 7 pm.

The Gold Cup will be hosted by US and Canada from Saturday to July 16.

Eve said it was a tough task to leave out players from the 23-man squad. After the squad was named he said players like Reon Moore, Josiah Trimmingham, John Paul Rochford, Nathaniel James, Duane Muckette and Justin Garcia were some of the players who were unlucky to be overlooked.

Only six local-based players have been chosen in the squad including goalkeepers Marvin Philip (AC Port of Spain) and Denzil Smith (W Connection), defender Alvin Jones (Club Sando), midfielders Joevin Jones (Police FC) and Real Gill (Club Sando), and striker Kadeem Corbin (Terminix La Horquetta Rangers).

In an interview with T&T Football Association media after the squad was named, Eve said, “I just want to say that they are part of the team, but unfortunately you can only pick 23 players at this point in time...Looking at the squad that we have here we just thought that this group was the best group for us to go forward with at this point in time.” Wolfe told Newsday, “If you ask me if I agree with the coach’s selection I may say no, but I respect it,” he said.

Wolfe would have liked to see more local players get the chance but said Eve must be supported.

“Yes, I think a little more local-based (players) should have been on the team, but that is the coach’s decision. Maybe he is seeing something in the foreign players that the local players may be lacking, I don’t know. As (former T&T coach) Leo Beenhakker always say it have 1.3 million coaches in T&T and once your favourite player is not selected you will kick up against the selection.”

Wolfe said often times local players don’t ask their coaches questions to improve their game.

Wolfe, a member of the 2006 World Cup squad coached by Beenhakker, said, “I think it is time we just relax, give Angus Eve his opportunity. Whatever team he pick we will support them. If the team do bad is his selection, if the team do good is his selection. Everything is up to him at the end of the day. The local guys just have to stay strong, keep working and wait for the opportunity to come again and grasp it.”

T&T are ranked 104th in the FIFA rankings. The Soca Warriors will be underdogs against both Jamaica and the US as they are ranked 63rd and 13th respectively. St Kitts/Nevis are the lowest-ranked team in Group A at 139th in the world.

Wolfe said T&T can qualify for the next round.

“I always believe in a tournament all teams have a chance to come out of the group because football is played on the day.

“It is how much you really want it...I think T&T have a fair chance of coming out the group. It is all about the guys who he (Eve) selected on that day to go and to play. They have to want something for themselves.”

At the last Gold Cup in 2021, T&T did not advance out of the group phase. T&T were drawn in a tough group alongside Mexico, Guatemala and El Salvador.

T&T ended third in the group with draws against Mexico and Guatemala and a loss to El Salvador.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2023, 02:30:24 PM »
GoP, in many cases the foreign born are under pressure to over-perform as 1. They are aware of the preferences of the local football community, and aware of that stressful environment where they must prove themselves, sometimes not a healthy state of mind to perform at their best. 2. Many foreign are even more committed to represent due to their parents painting a - in some cases, exaggerated - utopian painting of the country they (parents) grew up in. No matter who is selected, there will always be, some measure of disapproval, omissions and what if. Such is football.

Add: no Intl coach will willfully choose a team he thinks he will lose with, we could only hope he get it right and allows us to celebrate. He knows if wrong is level cuss those who didn’t have to make or ignorant of the position where these decisions are to be made would be raining on his poor soul, especially from TT supporters.

Add: just seeing that Luke Singh to replace the injured Daniel Phillips don’t make sense to me doh.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 02:57:28 PM by maxg »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2023, 11:28:33 PM »
GoP, in many cases the foreign born are under pressure to over-perform as 1. They are aware of the preferences of the local football community, and aware of that stressful environment where they must prove themselves, sometimes not a healthy state of mind to perform at their best. 2. Many foreign are even more committed to represent due to their parents painting a - in some cases, exaggerated - utopian painting of the country they (parents) grew up in. No matter who is selected, there will always be, some measure of disapproval, omissions and what if. Such is football.

Add: no Intl coach will willfully choose a team he thinks he will lose with, we could only hope he get it right and allows us to celebrate. He knows if wrong is level cuss those who didn’t have to make or ignorant of the position where these decisions are to be made would be raining on his poor soul, especially from TT supporters.

Add: just seeing that Luke Singh to replace the injured Daniel Phillips don’t make sense to me doh.

Not necessarily utopian. Society and reality have transformed significantly across generations. A parent speaking about his or her experiences becomes dated merely because the quality of life and conditions on the ground have changed. Retention of traditions is also less prominent in young societies ... so the picture painted may not even be idealized or exaggerated: the social bargain and expectations and accountability on the ground are just DIFFERENT.

As far as the Singh replacement: it seems not to make sense to several persons ... bear in mind though that the head coach is not a risk taker and is inclined to place a premium on defending qualities +.

My read is that he favors players who can help a team on both sides of the ball.

A real blow regarding Daniel Phillips doh, he hasn't had an opportunity to deliver with consistency at NT level --- albeit, that's something he shares with his replacement.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 11:37:24 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2023, 12:22:32 AM »
If Trinidad and Tobago lose against St Kitts :banginghead: Eve is gone. OR if TnT doesn't play good football and they look unstable on the pitch, Eve is gone.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2023, 08:34:39 AM »
I think if we end up comfortably ahead of St Kitts / Nevis and Luke Singh gets capped it would be a good long term move for our squad [22 yr old, signed by an MLS team till 2025 -- who on our team can boast higher level/upside?], especially since Canada has shown interest.
I commend Eve for that, as that was one the criticisms against him in the past. He has convinced me (with the visa rules talk and everything), that he is (now) open to foreign born players, which may encourage others to come out of the woodworks.
SKN not looking bad (in attack at least) and I think is a fair test of our level. I hoping for a 2-0.
Again, usually I criticize Eve for hedging, but Jamaica brought a pretty solid squad (1 local in squad of 25?). Players from clubs (at a level) few to none of our players are playing at [haven't checked playing times at said clubs]. .. And USA used to poison us with 1 Pulisic in midfield, now it look like that threat level can come from 5. He have his work cut out for him so I expect an extremely defensive formation.
All of that to say, I don't think not progressing will seal Eve's fate...and of late he has the team playing, expecting to go to-to-toe, so I looking fwd.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 08:36:52 AM by kounty »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2023, 12:19:05 PM »
Singh replaces injured Phillips for Gold Cup.

Luke Singh, a Toronto FC defender in the Canadian Premier League, was called in as a replacement for St Johnstone midfielder Daniel Phillips, who was injured during a T&T practice match with Haiti on Tuesday afternoon.

The injury was initially thought to be a dead leg by coach Angus Eve, but a release from the T&T Football Association (TTFA) on Thursday confirmed it was a grade one quadricep injury which has forced him out for a period of two to three weeks.

Phillips played a critical role in the Warriors and Haitians match, which played to a goalless draw, mere days before they opened their CONCACAF Gold Cup campaign. However, it will require all hands on deck come Sunday when the Warriors face St Kitts and Nevis in the opening match at the DRV PNK Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, USA at 3.30 pm.

After that, two other matches against regional rival Jamaica and the host nation and defending champion USA on June 28 and July 2, respectively, will complete Group 'A' with only the top two teams advancing.

Singh is currently on loan with Atletico Ottawa from Toronto FC. He returned from injuries to play in a 1-0 victory over Vancouver FC on June 17.

According to the TTFA release, however, the rest of the squad remains intact and had its first training session at the DRV PNK Stadium training pitch yesterday afternoon.

Meanwhile, defender Shannon Gomez of the San Antonio FC/USA said their focus is the game in front of them, which is the St Kitts and Nevis match, that they need to get a result from. The mood in the camp he said is an upbeat one.

"Every player is optimistic, upbeat, and ready to give their best. Each and every player in this camp wants to put their best foot forward for T&T," he said.

The match Sunday he said will be about two familiar teams in a hostile battle, both looking to make history for their respective countries.

"It will be a dog fight. We need to get maximum points from the match and that's the task at hand. St Kitts and Nevis is riding on a high right now by getting into the Gold Cup.

"The best thing is to put that flame out right away by scoring goals, defending, attacking, doing everything that they can do to get maximum points for T&T."

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2023, 01:03:48 PM »
This injury doesn't sit well ... would like to know more.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2023, 01:55:47 PM »
How might we be able to see the game on Sunday? Is Concacaf going to continue to stream them online? Any other YouTube links anticipated? Thanks.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2023, 02:02:29 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mr-_t7-natY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mr-_t7-natY</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2023, 12:23:47 AM »
Eve calls for total commitment against St Kitts & Nevis.

Dedicates Gold Cup to Clyde Leon

National coach Angus Eve has called for total commitment from his players tomorrow when they take on St Kitts and Nevis “Sugar Boyz” in their opening match in Group A of the CONCACAF Gold Cup in the United States.

He said their Gold Cup tournament will be dedicated to former national midfielder Clyde Leon who died in 2021 from a suspected heart attack. Eve at a training session at the DRV PNK Stadium in Fort Lauderdale yesterday said Leon was a dedicated player whose life impacted a number of others.

Leon earned 48 caps for his country as a senior after making his international debut against Guyana in an international friendly on March 2, 2004. Now, Eve wants his (Leon’s) most glaring attribute, one of commitment, to be exhibited, as he believes his team has what it takes to come out of the group.

Apart from St Kitts and Nevis, the Soca Warriors will also face regional rival Jamaica on Wednesday at Citypark and then the USA in their final group match on July 2 at the Bank of America Stadium.

Eve said so far he is impressed with the level of commitment shown so far.

“This team (St Kitts and Nevis) has won the group that we were in for the World Cup where we played, so in effect, they knocked us out of the World Cup, so we have been building or rebuilding the house as I would say.

“So we’re asking the ‘fellas’ for the commitment, and these guys have really shown their commitment so far. I am extremely happy with the attitude in the camp, so going out there, we want to be committed to everything that we do. We want to represent our country right. We actually want to come out of this group, and we believe that we can from a tactical standpoint and from the individual players that we have on the squad. And we believe we have a good chance to do so,” Eve explained.

Due to the humidity of conditions there, the Soca Warriors worked out for a short time yesterday, sharp-tuning on the offensive part of their game.

“We’ve been working on the offensive side of the game, how we want to attack the game from free kicks and corners offensively, and how the team defends, and how we break down what they are doing in defence. So that was the day-to-day,” Eve noted.

Eve’s men have earned little success over their Jamaican counterparts in recent times. In March, they defeated the Reggae Boyz 1-0 in the first of two international friendly matches in Kingston, before the team played to a goalless draw in the other three days later.

Meanwhile, newcomers Luke Singh, the Atletico Ottawa defender, and Malcolm Shaw have said they are eager to play for the team and contribute positively to the result of the team.

“It’s always an honour to play for your country. I’m excited and just can’t wait to get started. My first training was good,” Singh said.

Shaw, the Atletico Ottawa striker, on the other hand, said: “It’s a special moment for me. It’s my first time being in an international environment, so obviously, I am coming here to make an impact and help the team. We came here to win so we want to contribute in different ways.”

RELATED NEWS

Angus Eve: 'Good chance' to reach Gold Cup KO stage.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

SOCA Warriors head coach Angus Eve likes his team’s chances at the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup as he believes they have the ability to advance past the group stage.

The Soca Warriors will play St Kitts/Nevis in their opening Group A match of the Gold Cup on Sunday at the DRV PNK Stadium in Ft Lauderdale, US, at 3.30 pm.

TT will face Jamaica on Wednesday at 7.30 pm, followed by the US on July 2 at 7 pm.

The Gold Cup will be hosted by US and Canada from Saturday to July 16.

Eve, speaking to TT Football Association media, said, “These guys have really shown their commitment. Extremely happy with the attitude in the camp and going out there we want to be committed in everything that we do. We want to represent our country right and we actually want to come out of this group. We believe we can. From a tactical standpoint and the individuals that we have on the squad, we believe that we have a good chance to do so.”

The US, despite fielding a second-string team, are expected to be a handful for TT, as the Americans are 13th in the FIFA world rankings.

There are nine players 22 years old or younger in the 23-man US squad as many of their top players just competed in the Concacaf Nations League final and are being rested.

The majority of the players on the Jamaica team, ranked 63rd in the world, are foreign-based, including the likes of Aston Villa’s Leon Bailey and West Ham's Michail Antonio.

TT are ranked 104th and St Kitts/Nevis are the lowest-ranked team in Group A at 139th in the world.

Eve said TT have been studying their opponents. “The approach obviously is to look at the tapes of the opposition. We know how they try to play; some teams try to tweak some stuff but coaches have that tendency, even if they change the personnel on the park, they play similar to how their philosophy is.”

Eve, said TT are dedicating their performances to former national footballer Clyde Leon who died two years ago at age 37.

“Give everything, give everything that you have for your country,” Eve said. “We are dedicating this to Clyde Leon. We watched a film on Clyde Leon the other day that we showed and the commitment that he had (was admirable). He has impacted a number of the guys here because he would have played with them, coached some of the (junior) elite players like Molik Khan who came through that programme…It was very heartfelt when we looked at how short his career was.”

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2023, 08:01:39 AM »
Fox Sports 1 showing the game as well as Univision/TUDN.-3.30pm

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2023, 10:33:21 AM »
Losing Phillips is a blow, he's a competent midfielder that we haven't gotten the best out of as yet. Scottish football is fast-paced and scrappy. We coulda used his experience.
No disrespect to the player but how fit is Hackshaw looking? He seems to struggle with conditioning at times.
Usually somebody steps up and gives us a nice surprise performance. I lookin forward to something similar this rounds.
Good luck to the boys.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2023, 01:36:15 PM »
True Peong
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2023, 08:37:23 PM »
Steups.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2023, 08:49:52 PM »
Duane Muckette shoulda replace Phillips. Neveal Hackshaw is unfit, fat and slow, he go get pell, watch and see.

We have no midfield ball winner.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2023, 10:17:43 PM »
Surprise Khaleem Hyland wasn't considered.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2023, 10:23:48 PM »
Verdict on the US-Jamaica match?

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2023, 10:48:36 PM »
Angus Eve go do the same thing he did last time draw all the games and then him and Shawn will release a video saying he is a successful coach because they did not loose any games.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2023, 10:51:11 PM »
Usa get away, that penalty was not placed and the follow up was atrocious. Jam playing decent ball. Usa gonna regret not picking a strong squad.
A draw is good, less points share out tonight.
We better hit the ground running

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2023, 08:09:23 AM »
Here We Go… Again
Strike a pose with the team
Front page headlines making the scene
new kits and thing
man ready to shout and sing
We still celebrating 2006
despite legendary licks
Frozen in time
yet we bussing ah lime
hoping fuh the best
despite all the teams unrest
But now we cruising on Gold Cup dream

Ohh
Here we go again
Life's a dream
'Cause it's never what it seems
But we would  rather try and fail with tears
Than never show at all
So here we go again
 We are SocaWarriors
and we go fight

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2023, 09:15:14 AM »
Yeah Seeker,
Well deserved draw in the end!
Hard to say which team was superior.
I thought Jamaica looked more in control. Should have won that match.
But still neither side are so far ahead of us that we can't play a tactical match and cause lots of trouble with our front line and defense.
Jamaica frontline are solid but lacking sharpness. Don't know how Bailey throw-way that penalty & follow-up.
Hoping T&T's extra time in Phila solidified chemistry, gameplan execution, and discipline.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2023, 11:19:13 AM »
Good gam .. e Jamaica could have  won it . Antonio is a beast  Grays first game he  just needs to settle in.  Time for angus to show if he has what it takes
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2023, 12:23:42 PM »
This is a even group all the teams are physical and athletic its not a good sign for JA when you can't beat a U S A B team.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2023, 01:41:43 PM »
our game delay?

1]; } ?>