April 27, 2024, 04:45:03 PM

Author Topic: 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup Thread  (Read 12376 times)

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup Thread
« Reply #210 on: July 03, 2023, 03:12:50 PM »
 I know sooner or later someone go blame the government as if the idiots in opposition go do any better,

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 03, 2023, 03:32:50 PM »
Why blame the government or even the opposition,the government have their job to try and cut the crime situation and robberies with home invasions,no time for our shameless footballers.Not even minnows get beaten 6-0 nowadays.SHAME,SHAME,SHAME. :cursing:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 03, 2023, 08:25:08 PM »
Soca Warriors exit Gold Cup after crushing 6-0 loss to US
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

A FIRST half hat-trick by Jesus Ferreira helped lead the US to a crushing 6-0 victory over the Soca Warriors in the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup at the Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina on Sunday night.

The defeat for TT meant they will exit the tournament at the group stage after ending Group A third with three points – one win and two losses.

Prior to the loss against the US, TT defeated St Kitts/Nevis 3-0 and then lost 4-1 to Jamaica. US won the group with seven points, finishing ahead of Jamaica on goal difference. Both teams advanced to the quarter-finals.

Ferreira’s goals came in the 14th minute, 38th and 45th +3 as TT were up against it as they failed to match the speed of the US.

The US controlled the match from the opening whistle, but TT’s defence did prevent them from creating quality chances on Marvin Phillip’s goal in the opening ten minutes.

Against the run of play, TT had a half chance to take the lead.

Dorde Mihailovic lost possession to TT striker Levi Garcia who ran up the right flank and picked out Joevin Jones but his volley sailed over the crossbar.

TT had a few minutes of solid possession before the US struck first.

Cristian Roldan found wing-back DeJuan Jones who crossed the ball to Ferreira.

Ferreira’s control was not perfect, but he had enough time to volley home from eight yards out to give the US a 14th-minute lead.

It was non-stop pressure from the US as the Americans continued to keep the TT defence busy.

TT’s chances on goal did not come often, but most times Garcia was at the heart of the attacks.

In the 28th minute, Garcia collected the ball just inside the US half of the field and ran 40 yards with the ball but his low shot was easily dealt with by US goal-keeper Matt Turner.

In the 38th minute, the US went up 2-0.

After a goal-mouth scramble, Ferreira fired a shot at goal and in attempting to clear the ball TT defender Sheldon Bateau could only hit it into his own net.

The US had time to add a third before half-time as Ferreira converted a penalty in first-half stoppage time after right-wing back Alvin Jones committed a foul.

TT coach Angus Eve made three changes at half-time bringing on Shannon Gomez, Real Gill and Andre Rampersad for Joevin Jones, Kevin Molino and Luke Singh.

The second half was similar to the first half as the US dominated the match.

Garcia seemed to be TT’s only hope of getting on the score sheet as multiple attacks began with the AEK Athens player.

In the 62nd minute, substitute Gomez came inches away from pulling a goal back for TT as his left-footed bullet from 20 yards struck the inside of the post that left Turner with no chance.

In the 65th minute, the US made it 4-0.

Kadeem Corbin, who just came on as a substitute, attempted to make a back pass to Phillip but it was not struck firmly enough.

Cade Cowell intercepted the pass and dribbled around Phillip and a back-tracking Gomez before firing home into an open net.

The US were relentless as the second-string team tried to impress coach BJ Callaghan.

They continued to find the net adding a fifth goal in the 79th minute through Gianluca Busio.

Substitute Julian Gressel squared the ball to Busio, who controlled the ball around the penalty spot before calmly slotting home.

Another substitute Brandon Vasquez rounded off the scoring in stoppage time to complete the romp.

Trinidad and Tobago (4-4-1-1): 1.Marvin Phillip (GK), 16.Alvin Jones, 4.Sheldon Bateau, 5.Leland Archer, 18.Triston Hodge (9.Kadeem Corbin 64); 11.Levi Garcia, 6.Luke Singh (17.Andre Rampersad 46), 15.Neveal Hackshaw, 3.Joevin Jones (14.Shannon Gomez 46); 10.Kevin Molino (captain) (13.Real Gill 46); 19.Malcolm Shaw (20.Kaïlé Auvray 69).

Unused substitutes: 21.Nicklas Frenderup (GK), 22.Denzil Smith (GK), 2.Aubrey David, 7.Ryan Telfer, 8.Ajani Fortune, 12.Kareem Moses, 23.Molik Khan.

Coach: Angus Eve

USA (4-1-2-3): 1.Matthew Turner (captain) (GK); 5.Bryan Reynolds (2.Deandre Yedlin 76), 12.Miles Robinson (4.Matt Miazga 46), 20.Jalen Neal, 15.Dejuan Jones; 6.Gianluca Busio, 8.James Sands, 14.Djordje Mihailovic (19.Brandon Vazquez 69); 17.Alejandro Zendejas (11.Cade Cowell 60), 9.Jesus Ferreira, 10.Christian Roldan (22.Julian Gressel 60).

Unused substitutes: 18.Sean Johnson (GK), 23.Gabriel Slonina (GK), 3.Aaron Long, 7.Alan Sonora, 13.Jordan Morris, 21.John Tolkin.

Coach: BJ Callaghan

Referee: Mario Escobar (Guatemala)
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 04, 2023, 01:42:09 AM »
i just read an article in the papers where it states that steven hart is set to make a comeback as the senior mens coach, and if so then that is great news. i guess controversial must be cumming in his pants as i type.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 04, 2023, 06:59:55 AM »
Eve defends 6-man change vs USA: Players need 'exposure'
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

SOCA Warriors head coach Angus Eve defended his decision to make six changes to TT’s starting line-up against USA in Sunday’s final Concacaf Gold Cup Group A match, which saw the Americans clobber the Caribbean team 6-0.

USA’s resounding victory launched them into the Gold Cup quarter-finals, while TT’s loss eliminated all hopes of advancing.

This time, Eve started skipper and striker Kevin Molino, goalkeeper Marvin Phillip, midfielder Joevin Jones and defenders Luke Singh, Triston Hodge and Leland Archer – a huge change from last Wednesday’s match against Jamaica, which they also lost 4-1.

Young forward Real Gill and defender Kadeem Corbin also got substituted on in the second half, but also did not feature at the Jamaica match.

Eve said he chose such a crucial time to integrate these players into the starting line-up, for exposure.

“We brought 23 players (here) who start for their clubs. This is a process we’re going through: a rebuilding stage. If we don’t play the players…long time ago, when I was playing, we had Caribbean Cups and stuff like that, where we could expose players in competitions at a good level, and then bring them into Concacaf.

“Every single time there’s a window (FIFA), there’s a competition, so there’s no real room for us to give the players exposure. So I felt the guys should play and everybody should have an opportunity to show themselves in a competition format going forward.”

Eve said he did not start the match with his particular style of play, and wanted to try a different approach against the in-form US team. Despite few glimmers of hope in front of the US goal, his tactics in each half proved futile.

“We put on the more ‘ball-handlers.’ I went against my philosophies in how I like to play a bit by allowing the more skillful and ball-handler players to play in the first half and try to control the game by possession and play on the counter – and a couple of times we got it,” he added.

Asked if there was any real solution to helping TT players get more exposure on bigger stages, he said domestic clubs have a part to play.

Eve also reiterated that TT does not have the privilege that other nations do to source and sign players with grandparental heritage to play. Legally, TT can only register foreign-based players with direct parental relations.

“We need to have our players exposed at the highest level and consistently playing football. A national team coach’s job can’t get the players fit when they come here. They have to come from by the clubs with that fitness, and you put them into a formation that you would get them to play. A lot of the times you would see we’re lacking fitness.

“You have to remember, our league wasn’t played for about three years. It’s the first time we’ve had a league in a while. So all of those things put together.”

Eve added that Jamaica has “bridged the gap” since they can “bring in a lot of players who have grandparents and parents playing in the English league,” which allows them to “cut short that part of development by bringing in these types of players which we don’t have the laws back in our country to do it.”

Although disappointed, Eve was undeterred.

“We are progressing, small baby steps.”

Additionally, Molino said the loss was “difficult,” but wants the group of players to stick together and keep moving forward.

“I hold my hand up high and I should give more. The most important thing is, we have another opportunity as a footballer to go again. It’s a work in progress and we need to keep going.

“This group has been together for a little while, and we just need to keep focused, look in the mirror, go back to the drawing board and look forward to whatever games are coming up. But when we go to our clubs, we have to put in the work that is necessary to compete at this level.”

Molino said the team’s exit was a hard one to take, but called on his teammates to continue fighting.

“We gave everything necessary to play this game on our behalf, but sometimes it’s concentration and a little more quality. I think lack of...playing together for a quite a long time – but we need to keep going and fighting to get back to where we were at Concacaf and in the Caribbean. We just need to keep going.

“We don’t need to be pointing fingers at anybody. We need to get up, pick up everybody and look forward to the games. This is a job we chose to have. People are going to criticise, but we need to keep firm and focus on the tasks at hand. This group needs to stay closer.”

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 04, 2023, 12:20:23 PM »
Not true Mr. Eve.  Jamaican citizenship by decent requires at least one parent to be a Jamaican citizen. 

Citizenship by Descent

Jamaican Citizenship by Descent refers to:

Anyone born outside of Jamaica to parents (mother or father or both) who are citizens of Jamaica at the time of birth

Proof of Citizenship:

Certificate of citizenship issued by the Passport, Immigration & Citizenship Agency of the Ministry of National Security in Jamaica.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 04, 2023, 01:46:15 PM »
Eve may have it wrong with the citizenship thing. Often when this topic comes up, most tend to group citizenship from the country, and FIFA guidelines to play for a country together.

Each country has their own process to get citizenship. This might be different than what FIFA allows. In this case, to play for a country, all the player needs is a grandparent, under FIFA guidelines.

To get the passport from the country, I believe a grandparent will qualify. BUT, I wouldn't be surprised that in Trinidad and Tobago, they may require the parent of the player to get their passport before the player gets theirs. I think this is what Eve might be talking about.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 04, 2023, 07:13:51 PM »
Eve may have it wrong with the citizenship thing. Often when this topic comes up, most tend to group citizenship from the country, and FIFA guidelines to play for a country together.

Each country has their own process to get citizenship. This might be different than what FIFA allows. In this case, to play for a country, all the player needs is a grandparent, under FIFA guidelines.

To get the passport from the country, I believe a grandparent will qualify. BUT, I wouldn't be surprised that in Trinidad and Tobago, they may require the parent of the player to get their passport before the player gets theirs. I think this is what Eve might be talking about.
Under TT law a grandparent could only file for a child under the age of 18 there is no way around it this was a problem back in the 90's till now there are players who played for Jamaica and Grenada with grandparents who was above 18 already people have to loby the government to get this rule change.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 04, 2023, 07:26:08 PM »
Got it. But would the work around be - the parent(s) getting their passport first, then the player. I heard something like this.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 05, 2023, 10:27:23 AM »
Brian Williams: Changing coach no solution to football problems
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

"Gone are the days when changing a coach is a solution to football issues."

Former national defender who was a standout with the now infamous 'Strike Squad' of 1989, Brian Williams, attempted to break down the issues that led to the failure of the Soca Warriors at the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Following a 3-0 victory over St Kitts and Nevis in Group A of the Gold Cup on June 25, T&T, coached by Angus Eve surrendered the other two matches against Jamaica 4-1 on the June 28, and then against the United States 6-0 on Sunday to send them packing out of the regional tournament.

The consequence of this has been calls for Eve to step down as coach, and bring in another coach. Former coach Stephen Hart, as it is being rumoured and suggested as Eve's replacement.

Williams, who like many, has spent his entire life in the sport, tried to explain the formula for success in sports and particularly football. He said it starts with having the right infrastructure and the right administration.

He said he wanted to stay away from the perceived "bacchanal" of giving such comments, but it would only continue a recurring situation that stagnates progress.

"I was totally moved with the selection of the team from the St Kitts and Nevis game, and then players' personal responsibility is what I looked at. I watched the whole drive by the players, the basic intelligence and basic understanding to do well and to play hard for the national team and I did not see that. I am not getting enough of that and that is an individual responsibility as a player," Williams explained.

In a most candid response, Williams added: "So the players we have presently, do we say that they are not good enough for international participation at this point in time? It could be so but I cannot really answer you to say get rid of Angus and bring in Stephen Hart, because that will be the consensus. 'Let us change the coach because he failed'. Did he fail? Really and truly? Okay, but statistics might show you otherwise.

"If the national team did not perform well, obviously it is the responsibility of the coach and that is what Angus has to deal with, and that is what we as spectators also have to look at because we are looking for results.

"If we get bad results then we get down to the nitty-gritty and find out what caused those bad results, what caused the players to perform so poorly, and then the coach will have to answer that with his staff because they are responsible for motivating the players."

The rasta-haired-style rugged former right-back, in his heydays, exhibited undying commitment that made him a preferred choice for coaches in the defence.

His playing days locally never hampered his passion to wear the red, white, and black for in T&T, but despite the successes of the Strike Squad in 1989, coming within a point of qualification to the 1990 World Cup in Italy, even then, there was not the administrative perfection to ensure the proper preparation of teams.

Williams said: "We might bring in Stephen Hart tomorrow and after two or three games, we might be saying it's better we kept Angus. It might be so because we don't have the divine rights to see these things, but certain infrastructure and sustainability, a properly run League, ensuring that the players are being compensated or paid a decent salary above the minimum wage, and a man could have a hope that he can really give his all to it because to play international football, it is a full-time job."

Williams has been paying close attention to the developments of regional teams that accounted for their success. As such, he concluded that maybe minus a couple of players, Eve did select the best pool of players to wear the red, white, and black.

"Putting things into perspective, all those challenges that Angus faced. Yes he will have to take responsibility for the team performances and so on, but if you look at the national team presently, I would say I think Angus has one of the best pool of players to represent the country. So from a positive standpoint, I don't think the selection of the team was bad because when you look at Jamaica, their League was functional and operating, but when the team was selected they did not have a player from the domestic league on the team."

He continued, "I listened also to Guadeloupe, where they say only one player who was playing locally was on the team, and it goes on and on with most of the teams. We look at the Jamaican Premier League and we say it is of a really good standard, so how come when it was time to play in the Nations League the coach didn't even select one player from there?"

Williams, who was solid defender pointed out, "And that was a big issue in Jamaica because they find that he should have at least selected one player who was playing locally."

Last evening, the T&T Football Association (TTFA) sent out a press statement advising that it has made no decision regarding the composition of the national senior men’s team’s technical staff.

It said: "Reports on the appointment of a new coach are purely speculative and without foundation.

"The TTFA is currently undertaking a comprehensive review of the team’s performance and its recent results. The head coach, Angus Eve, is an integral part of the discussions, as his feedback is a critical part of the process.

"Future plans will be determined following the review, and the TTFA will make an official statement at the appropriate time."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 05, 2023, 10:43:00 AM »
Ex-players: Soca Warriors 'strides behind Concacaf big guns'
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

FORMER Strike Squad captain Clayton Morris knew it would have been an uphill task for the Soca Warriors at the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup, but said the performances proved that we have a long way to go to compete against powerhouses in the region like Mexico and US.

T&T did not qualify for the quarter-finals of the tournament after finishing third in Group A. The Soca Warriors kicked off the Gold Cup with a 3-0 victory over St Kitts/Nevis giving some fans hope that T&T had a chance to qualify for the knock-out phase.

However against stronger opposition, T&T were brought back down to earth with a 4-1 defeat against Jamaica followed by a 6-0 loss to the US.

Morris said, “I was always reserved with my enthusiasm in seeing us progressing to the second round, (the) mere reason because of my experience both as a player and now a coach. Success is a process and you don’t expect things to change overnight.”

He said the T&T players lack speed.

“When Panama played Costa Rica and I also saw Guadeloupe against Canada and I saw the intensity those teams were playing at, it really had me concerned…if we could match that,” Morris said.

“I am not surprised what came out of this tournament because again what you put in is what will come out…it is clear we are strides behind. They could say what they want about we have players playing here and we have players playing there. Those players representing us I don’t think is the best we could put forward.”

Only six local-based players were on the 23-man Gold Cup T&T squad.

Morris said with so many foreign-based players the team will lack cohesion.

“Football is a team sport and you definitely have to have chemistry.”

The former Strike Squad captain is uncertain if the players understand the privilege to represent your country.

Reflecting on the Strike Squad period, Morris said, “You don’t want to blow your own trumpet, but you could have seen passion in the guys who represented T&T and that is 34 years ago. You are not getting that now, you are not seeing that with the players (and) even in the local leagues you are not getting that passion…we have to go back to the drawing board…I am saying it again, we are strides behind the Concacaf big guns, we are behind them. The coach’s goal was to get us back up there, but I don’t think we are close to that.”

T&T head coach Angus Eve has said repeatedly that he wants to see the national team show their class in the region again.

Morris, who said T&T’s starting formation at the Gold Cup at times was too negative playing with five defenders, said changing the coach will not fix the issues in local football as the players must look in the mirror and administrative issues have hampered progress.

The T&T Football Association is not fully functional as local football is being run by the FIFA-appointed normalisation committee.

“We are still under a normalisation committee that means we are not settled as a football association yet,” former Strike Squad defender Brian Williams said.

Apart from the TTFA, during the covid19 pandemic local footballers only got limited playing time. The TT Premier Football League kicked off in March allowing players to play regularly.

The former defender, who was hurt by the Gold Cup performance, said the local league must be more competitive and players from around the region should be brought in to lift the standard. “What took place there have to be very embarrassing because those types of performances and those goals that were conceded looked very amateurish and not to the level that we expect.”

Williams also questioned if the players understand what it means to play for T&T.

“We don’t seem to have that drive and that national pride in representing T&T in a meaningful way…before you could talk about national pride there needs to be self pride. If I am playing a football game I want to perform well.”

Williams suggested having workshops to let players know what it means to wear the national colours.

Rumours have been circulating that former T&T coach Stephen Hart may be appointed again to lead the Soca Warriors. Williams did not point fingers at Eve for the team’s performance.

“Even if you bring Stephen Hart and get rid of Eve…and we don’t have the players in a better frame of mind and get our players to compete internationally Stephen Hart will suffer the same problem.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 05, 2023, 11:17:52 AM »
Bigger issues: Coach Eve not the major problem
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

Trinidad and Tobago’s senior men’s footballers’ poor performance at the 2023 CONCACAF Gold Cup is more a symptom of the overall decline of football in T&T and less about national coach Angus Eve.

This is the view of both Brent Sancho and Clayton Morris, two former players who have represented Trinidad and Tobago successfully and at the highest level.

“The formulation of a technical committee should be the first port of call,” stated Sancho, the former UK-based footballer, ex-sport minister and 2006 FIFA World Cup defender.

“The problem is bigger than who coaches the country. It’s a decay,” Sancho emphasised. “I also think we are dealing with a pool of players that have exhausted their lifespan.”

Morris captained the T&T Strike Squad which missed out on a 1990 FIFA World Cup spot by a point, when losing its final match 1-0 to the United States. Under his captaincy, T&T matched the best teams in the confederation, drawing matches against the USA and Costa Rica, as well as beating El Salvador and Guatemala in the 1989 CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers.

“The problem is not the coach. You can bring Jesus Christ to coach the team and there will not be change,” sarcastically stated Morris, who felt the greatest changes must come in the area of administration.

“How long has the Normalisation Committee (NC) been in place and all the sub-committees, like a technical committee, are inactive,” lamented Morris.

“I can’t see the Normalisation Committee taking the responsibility to deal with the technical aspect of our football,” he said, adding: “I think that is what we need to put in place.”

T&T had an opening 3-0 win over Gold Cup debutants St Kitts-Nevis, prior to suffering humiliating defeats to Jamaica (4-1) and the USA (6-0).

“Anybody within the twin-island republic who was expecting different results was naïve,” Sancho declared. ”The decay of Trinidad and Tobago football has been evident for many, many years.

“Obviously the results were unsatisfactory, but I think the horse bolted the stable long time ago,” continued Sancho. “The issue is not so much who is the coach, because we have been through three coaches over the last couple of years, and the performances have been the same.”

And Morris never believed T&T would emerge from Group A, given that he did not think the national team had either the quality or preparation time.

“I was always reserved about us going in there and matching those teams,” he said. “The one team I was sure we would beat is SKN, and they were the whipping boys of the group.”

Morris confessed to seeing only highlights of the first two matches, prior to the Soca Warriors’ heavy defeat to the USA. However, he always felt it unlikely that the Soca Warriors could have matched either Jamaica or the Americans, given what he felt was inadequate preparation.

“I had the opportunity Tuesday night to watch four of the teams in the other group,” he noted, adding: ”When I saw the intensity of the games involving those four teams, I thought that if we are not playing at that level of intensity, I can’t see us going past our group.”

And Sancho was also of the view that the Soca Warriors’ level of play and on-the-field commitment was inferior to the top teams.

“We are just not at a level of a USA or a Jamaica; The problem is that we don’t have players at that level,” Sancho contends. “Jamaica’s front three play in the (English) Premiership and our front three are no where close to that level. Even our defenders are not at that level.”

Morris is also not pleased with the level of commitment of some of the players who now represent T&T.

“I don’t think we have that patriotism with these guys...that they don’t know what it is to represent T&T. I think that is lacking.”

Morris felt youth development was key to instilling in national footballers the total passion and patriotism typical of the Reggae Boyz.

“We can’t wait till they reach big man and when they are representing us,” argued Morris. “They don’t really understand what it is to represent Trinidad and Tobago...and that is clear.”

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 05, 2023, 09:43:55 PM »
Guadeloupe and Martinique lookin better than us. Yuh feel we could draw with Canada or put 4 past Costa Rica? We getting left behind.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 06, 2023, 11:02:26 AM »
Guadeloupe, Martinique, Curaçao benefits from FIFA laws that allow them to use former French and Dutch internationals that have not played for France/Netherlands in the past 5 years. They also can draw from players anywhere in the French / Dutch leagues with ties to the islands.  From that perspective, these French/Dutch Caribbean teams have the potential to field teams that can conceivably win the Gold Cup.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 11:05:01 AM by reggae-fan »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 06, 2023, 12:24:51 PM »
reggae-fan has a point.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: July 06, 2023, 12:40:55 PM »
Regardless, it still equates or translates to "getting left behind".

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 06, 2023, 02:40:43 PM »
Regardless, it still equates or translates to "getting left behind".

Regardless, the answer is still developing homegrown talent. We don't have the "luxury" of having high caliber overseas born players to chose from. They are far and few in between. If there  are( Zamora, Sancho) to name two that come to mind, they will hedge their bet with England first. I don't know if the parents in the TT community in England encourage their children to aspire to be footballers or(cricketers, rugby players).  If so, they are very few or none. That is why we have to develop homegrown talent,  or try and ship out the talented few that are homegrown, quickly out of TT.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 06, 2023, 04:33:03 PM »
We need to play youth internationals. Rio Cardines with Palace and Tino Quamina with Arsenal already agreed to represent us at youth level. Encourage these youths to play for us. Make them feel involved. Kieran Ngwenya from Aberdeen, a left back is eligible as well, just 20 years old. Rory McKenzie, not a youth but eligible as well he can get a shot. We loading up with USL players so have they looked at Michael de Shields? Surely they have seen him by watching all our USL players

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 06, 2023, 05:01:18 PM »
Ok, cool, chelseaforlife

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 07, 2023, 03:08:18 AM »
Coaching is the answer. Nations that focus on "elite" training go nowhere, whilst countries that have a wide and deep base of good quality coaches at all levels do well. Iceland is the stereotypical example here, but it's what has been true in Spain for years.

Trinidad has benefitted from the competitiveness of the SSFL in this regards, as it has improved the quality of coaching in schools, which targets a wide base. It still results in "elite" mentality though, and it's hard to see where the TTFA would get money to fund a wider coaching badge push.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 07, 2023, 03:36:05 AM »
chelsealife you forgot Lakyle Samuel  :devil: :devil:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 07, 2023, 06:00:25 AM »
Don't remember Lakyle Samuel

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 07, 2023, 03:01:16 PM »
J Lloyd Samuel's son

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 07, 2023, 09:27:36 PM »
J Lloyd Samuel's son

That would fitting if he was to commit to the RWB

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: July 07, 2023, 09:41:03 PM »
Trini_2026

I actually did. But being a starter at youth level for England I doubt he'll commit to us. Unless its to honor the memory of his father

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 09, 2023, 03:04:27 PM »
Bigger issues: Coach Eve not the major problem
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

Trinidad and Tobago’s senior men’s footballers’ poor performance at the 2023 CONCACAF Gold Cup is more a symptom of the overall decline of football in T&T and less about national coach Angus Eve.

This is the view of both Brent Sancho and Clayton Morris, two former players who have represented Trinidad and Tobago successfully and at the highest level.

“The formulation of a technical committee should be the first port of call,” stated Sancho, the former UK-based footballer, ex-sport minister and 2006 FIFA World Cup defender.

“The problem is bigger than who coaches the country. It’s a decay,” Sancho emphasised. “I also think we are dealing with a pool of players that have exhausted their lifespan.”

Morris captained the T&T Strike Squad which missed out on a 1990 FIFA World Cup spot by a point, when losing its final match 1-0 to the United States. Under his captaincy, T&T matched the best teams in the confederation, drawing matches against the USA and Costa Rica, as well as beating El Salvador and Guatemala in the 1989 CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers.

“The problem is not the coach. You can bring Jesus Christ to coach the team and there will not be change,” sarcastically stated Morris, who felt the greatest changes must come in the area of administration.

“How long has the Normalisation Committee (NC) been in place and all the sub-committees, like a technical committee, are inactive,” lamented Morris.

“I can’t see the Normalisation Committee taking the responsibility to deal with the technical aspect of our football,” he said, adding: “I think that is what we need to put in place.”

T&T had an opening 3-0 win over Gold Cup debutants St Kitts-Nevis, prior to suffering humiliating defeats to Jamaica (4-1) and the USA (6-0).

“Anybody within the twin-island republic who was expecting different results was naïve,” Sancho declared. ”The decay of Trinidad and Tobago football has been evident for many, many years.

“Obviously the results were unsatisfactory, but I think the horse bolted the stable long time ago,” continued Sancho. “The issue is not so much who is the coach, because we have been through three coaches over the last couple of years, and the performances have been the same.”

And Morris never believed T&T would emerge from Group A, given that he did not think the national team had either the quality or preparation time.

“I was always reserved about us going in there and matching those teams,” he said. “The one team I was sure we would beat is SKN, and they were the whipping boys of the group.”

Morris confessed to seeing only highlights of the first two matches, prior to the Soca Warriors’ heavy defeat to the USA. However, he always felt it unlikely that the Soca Warriors could have matched either Jamaica or the Americans, given what he felt was inadequate preparation.

“I had the opportunity Tuesday night to watch four of the teams in the other group,” he noted, adding: ”When I saw the intensity of the games involving those four teams, I thought that if we are not playing at that level of intensity, I can’t see us going past our group.”

And Sancho was also of the view that the Soca Warriors’ level of play and on-the-field commitment was inferior to the top teams.
   And what de  firetruck you did when you were sports minister when you ran club when you seeking administration post to run football to change the condition of for]=tbalkl inTnT ?[/size]

“We are just not at a level of a USA or a Jamaica; The problem is that we don’t have players at that level,” Sancho contends. “Jamaica’s front three play in the (English) Premiership and our front three are no where close to that level. Even our defenders are not at that level.”

Morris is also not pleased with the level of commitment of some of the players who now represent T&T.

“I don’t think we have that patriotism with these guys...that they don’t know what it is to represent T&T. I think that is lacking.”

Morris felt youth development was key to instilling in national footballers the total passion and patriotism typical of the Reggae Boyz.

“We can’t wait till they reach big man and when they are representing us,” argued Morris. “They don’t really understand what it is to represent Trinidad and Tobago...and that is clear.”

Administration doh  go on the filed and play ball- MORRIS what have you done to change the state of football?

All man looking fuh food and  players like getting hung up like sacrificial lambs

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 09, 2023, 03:48:03 PM »
Guatemala vs jamaica end to end action. ..  this Guatemalan team is well organized
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 09, 2023, 04:29:45 PM »
Guatemala vs jamaica end to end action. ..  this Guatemalan team is well organized

WHO CARES?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 09, 2023, 04:31:20 PM »
i do we have to face them in a few months

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: July 09, 2023, 05:10:19 PM »
We can't go into them games without proper organization in the back. I watch Guatemala fight Jamaica to the end. I really believe that it is the inexperience of Eve that has our defense looking like paper tigers.

Hart will be back. The TTFA is working out the stuff to bring him back. Don't be surprised if is both Hart and Latapy working together.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 05:43:46 PM by gawd on pitch »

1]; } ?>