April 27, 2024, 01:15:58 PM

Author Topic: 2023/24 TTPFL Thread  (Read 8905 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2023/24 TTPFL Thread
« on: October 22, 2023, 06:32:07 PM »
Defence Force remains hungry for success
T&T Guardian

Defence Force FC has earned a reputation as the dominant force in Trinidad and Tobago’s football since its formation in 1974. The Regiment/Coast Guard unit won seven straight league titles from 1974 to 1978, today, they have 23 championships to brag about. The Army/coastguard team has also captured league and FA Cup doubles in ‘74, ‘81, ‘85, ‘89 and ‘96.

After a lengthy absence from national football competition, the gold and blue-clad football legacy reminded T&T just who they are with another remarkable achievement; winning the inaugural T&T Premier League Football League and Cup double.

Guardian Media Sports senior Sports reporter/producer Jovan Ravello, who visited the team’s training session at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Training Ground on Wednesday morning, and spoke to captain Jamali Garcia, and former skipper Curtis Gonzales, together with midfielder Justin Sadoo and coach Lloyd Andrews about the success of the team so far for 2023.

Q: How does it feel to be the champions going into the new season of the TTPFLTier 1 League?

Jamali Garcia, Captain Defence Force FC: Well, it’s always good to be a champion going into any tournament, but we know it will be a difficult season because everybody always wants to be the champion. So we just have to prepare ourselves going into this tournament so that we can come back out as champions once again.

You’re one of the leaders of this team. How have you been able to keep your teammates focused throughout the season, and how do you keep them focused on the task at hand?

Curtis Gonzales, Midfielder: Well, last season my main focus was to keep the youngsters together and show them the right way. Make them have a perfect attitude, and go out and play good football.

Now you’re smiling, and I know the team had a great season in the Premier League. Can you describe it for me as a coach?

Lloyd Andrews: Well, it was nice to qualify for the Caribbean Club Championship. We had a long-term goal. We fell short but we expect to achieve it in the coming years.

Justin Sadoo: It wasn’t an easy road but we grind through most games as all teams do in a title-winning season. For me personally, it wasn’t the best of times, but we came out with a victory, and that’s the most important thing.

What were some of the challenges that you had to overcome as a team towards achieving your goal?

Sadoo: As you see in leagues on TV, the team that is second on the table most of the time like how we were, we always knew, the fight and the grit that was needed as it came down to the last game.

How does it feel to lead such a storied successful team?

Jamali: Well, it feels great because coming into the season, I wasn’t the skipper of the team. It was a great responsibility on my shoulders and I had to adjust to it and deal with the boys it was good because they accepted me as their captain. It was just for me to continue to lead them to glory because we all wanted the same goal.

What were some of the key moments for you in last season?

Sadoo: There were many against Police we came back to secure a draw in the 90th minute, like against La Horquetta Rangers we won 1-0, and most important was the last game against AC which we won 2-1.

What was the mood like before that final league game?

Gonzales: Well, during the training sessions leading up to the game, the most important game is always the next game. So we were just like boys, we need to come up with a victory. It was like, let’s just put in the work on the training park and leave the rest on the field, and everything was history after that.

Talk to me about that final night atmosphere.

Jamali: Well, I’m from Diego Martin, so it was good for me to be home playing in front of people that I grew up among, people who knew me coming up. So it was good for me to see that everybody came out to support us, and we were able to come out with the victory.

You had a chance to do the treble this season. How do you feel about your team’s performance?

Gonzales: Well, in the Caribbean tournament it had games where we played up and down, but as you can see, it was a very young team. It was a learning experience for the future, but when we get our title this year, and we go back to the Caribbean Cup, we’ll have a more experienced bunch of players, and I’m sure, we’ll reach further.

How do you feel about next year and potentially going there again?

Andrews: Well, this was the first time for me as a coach in the Caribbean Club Championship. We thought we had it, and we gave it away by not converting our chances, we are looking forward to putting these things together and being a championship team next season.

Sadoo: The team grew from the Caribbean club experience, and everybody was disappointed. So, I think that hurts everybody, I know. But I think we grew as a team.

Is there a particular plan for this next season or anything to improve on from last season?

Gonzales: We need to work on being more together as a team, getting closer as a unit, and most importantly getting another title.

What are your personal goals?

Garcia: My personal goal is to get back into the national team and become a mainstay on that team.

Sadoo: Last season, I had a few assists but not many goals. So, I think goals are what I want this season. I’ve improved, and that can add more to our team.

Andrews: I have two great assistant coaches, and a very, very excellent ancillary staff, the masseuses, the medics, etc. We all work together as a team.

Do you see anybody else taking you guys off your perch?

Andrews: Everyone is challenging the Defence Force, and everybody comes to play and win against us. So, we’re always on our A game.

He concluded: I want to thank the staff and the players for their commitment, and for everything they have done to bring the team to where it is. And hopefully, we can go further.

Thanks to my assistant coaches, Hutson “Barber” Charles, an outstanding former national midfielder, and Devin Elcock, the Chief of Defense Staff, the managers, Colonel Charles, and the entire management group that continues to be behind the team. I cannot forget the fans who come out to support us game after game.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2023/24 TTPFL Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 09:36:22 PM »
T&T Premier Football League returns Nov 24
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday)

The second season of the Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League (TTPFL) tier one will kick off on November 24, according to a release issued by the T&T Football Association (TTFA) on Monday.

The season will run from November 2023 to May 2024, with two transfer window periods. The first transfer window opened on Monday and will close on December 19. The TTPFL's second transfer window will span from February 1 to February 29, 2024.

After a three-year hiatus in local professional football mainly due to covid19, a revamped TTPFL tournament began with a bang on March 10, 2023, with a 12-team TTPFL tier one. A gripping league season saw Defence Force, AC Port of Spain and La Horquetta Rangers in a three-team battle for league supremacy in the 22-game campaign.

It was the Army/Coast Guard combination which came out victors on the final day of the season on June 24 as they beat AC POS by a 2-1 margin at the Arima Velodrome, to win the league title by a single point.

Defence Force weren't done there though, as they doubled up on their league title by getting a stunning 5-3 win over Terminix La Horquetta Rangers in the TTPFL Knockout Cup final on July 15 – with lanky forward Brent Sam registering a hat-trick.

Sam finished as the knockout competition's top scorer with a whopping nine goals. Nineteen-year-old Soca Warriors attacker Nathaniel "Natty" James finished as the league's top scorer with 15 goals as he helped Tiger Tanks Club Sando to a third-place finish in the league, after Rangers faded badly.

Sando contested the Concacaf Caribbean Club Shield tournament where they finished third. Both AC POS and Defence Force were placed in the same group of the Concacaf Caribbean Cup tournament. However, neither was able to advance past the group stage of the tournament.

Tobago's 1976 FC Phoenix were crowned champions of the inaugural TTPFL tier two, as they got an exciting 2-1 win in the playoff final over Petit Valley/Diego Martin United at the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet, Tobago on October 10. Phoenix went through the season with an impressive unbeaten record and also finished atop the table after ten league matches.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 10:59:03 AM »
Phoenix rise to TTPFL tier-one; W Connection on sabbatical
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

Tobago-based 1976 FC Phoenix have been accepted to play in the second season of the T&T Premier Football League (TTPFL) tier one, which kicks off on November 24.

Making way for the Tobago side is five-time Pro League winners W Connection, who have decided to take a one-year sabbatical.

FC Phoenix demonstrated their pedigree by beating Petit Valley/Diego Martin United to win the TTPFL tier two playoffs, in Tobago, two weeks ago. The Nigel De Souza-coached unit was welcomed to the top flight after meeting certain competitive and administrative criteria.

The TTPFL had previously said that there would be no promotion and demotion between the two TTPFL tiers after the first season, which ended in May with Defence Force being crowned champions.

W Connection owner Renee John-Williams confirmed her team's absence from the TTPFL on Friday. She said the team, which was in a rebuilding stage, post covid19, had set realistic objectives for the inaugural TTPFL season.

She said after reviewing the season, it was determined that there are areas of the club that need to be restructured, including administrative and financial.

She said W Connection, known for its success domestically and regionally, will work on rebuilding the youth arm of the club to ensure proper development.

"We want to continue to maintain the standard we're accustomed to," she said.

An e-mail from TTPFL organisers to tier-one clubs earlier this week said: “FC Phoenix submitted an application to join tier one earlier in October, after being crowned tier two champions, with supporting financial and sporting documentation.”

“After careful review by the TTPFL executive in planning for season two, FC Phoenix has been approved to participate in tier one which will allow for a Tobago-based team to compete at the top division in local football.”

It added that airfare costs will be covered by the league.

Coach De Souza was elated to once again have a Tobago team among the domestic top flight. The last Tobago team to compete in the local top flight was the now defunct Tobago United, over a decade ago.

FC Phoenix’s step up to tier one opens multiple windows of opportunity for the squad.

De Souza said, “It’s a fantastic opportunity for Tobago to have a team back there, it’s been years. It’s also a great chance for the players since the only way for them to get seen is to play at the highest level. We wanted to provide that opportunity and we’re happy the league saw it fit to give us that opportunity.”

He added that FC Phoenix ensured their financial books were in order, among other requirements, to help bolster their chances of possible promotion.

“I think what the league has done – this new iteration of it, I think the administration part of our club has to be as strong as our playing part. We have done a good job, our management team behind the scene has done well to get the club to at least where we can compete at that level, administratively.

“Playing-wise, we showed in this past season that we do have quality players in Tobago. Those two things combined gave us a good chance to fulfil all aspects socially and sportingly.”

Additionally, the tier one fixtures were also released this past week and FC Phoenix open their campaign with the toughest test, against Defence Force.

When asked about their first game, De Souza said this is what they signed up for.

“These players are very excited but they also know the reward for hard work is more hard work. This is going to be a lot more work to play at that level. The guys worked hard.

“For Defence Force, well, we have to play everybody so it doesn’t matter who we start and finish with. We prepare and will do our best. We’re excited but we also have to be cautious. We’re taking a step up in quality and we have to prepare as best as possible.” (with reporting by Stephon Nicholas)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2023, 12:44:30 PM »
Kevon "Showtime" Woodley and Eagles to take flight In TTPFL

Though they finished at the bottom of the inaugural Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League (TTPFL) season which ran from March - June 2023, Eagles FC (formerly known as Cunupia FC) are promising an attractive and entertaining brand of football for the upcoming season which starts on November 24.

Eagles managed just two wins from 22 matches as they brought up the rear of the 12-team table with just eight points. However, with a familiar face and name in Kevon "Showtime" Woodley returning to their ranks, coach Michael De Four expects his Eagles team to soar to new heights in the TTPFL's second season.

"We wanted to rebrand and change our name in keeping with our goals and aspirations going forward," De Four said during an interview with Newsday, likening the team's transformation to the process of metamorphosis. "Cunupia was a wonderful club. We came up from being a sweat side and a zonal side, then we basically ran through the Super League and ended up in the top tier."

Led by the influence of the heavy scoring Woodley, Eagles finished third in the 2018 Super League season and also lifted the Super League knockout competition in the same season after getting by QPCC in the final. They were then accepted into the Pro League for the 2019/20 season which was interrupted by covid19.

After a difficult first season in the TTPFL, the 37-year-old Woodley wants to inspire his team to a top-three finish as he targets the prospect of qualifying for Concacaf's club competitions. He says teams should be aware of the Eagles threat for the upcoming campaign.

"When (other teams) are coming to play us, let them come with their A-game," said the Tobago-born striker. "The system we are playing right now, I doubt they will be able to keep up with that system.

"We started to train before a lot of the teams so I believe we are about 85 per cent ready. About four Haitians came into (the team) so they have kinda changed the complexion of the team. The team is looking like a very lively team going forward. This team can do some damage going forward this season."

Woodley featured prominently for Eagles in the Ascension Invitational Tournament in 2022, but he played with a youthful Jabloteh team in the inaugural TTPFL season after joining them in the mid-season transfer window. Despite his late entry into the league, the former T&T beach soccer standout tallied ten goals in the TTPFL – a goal count which saw him ending tied for fourth on the scoring charts.

"Last season, I came in at the latter part of the season and scored (ten goals)," Woodley said. "This season I'm starting from on top so I think I'll be looking for at least 22 or 23 goals. If I get 25 goals it would be a plus, but I am looking for 23.

"Once I get a team who is working for me defensively I think we would reach far."

Woodley says age is just a number as he paid homage to the 36-year-old Lionel Messi who won his eight Ballon D'or award on Monday. The man who hails from Charlotteville in Tobago's countryside, says he has a lot to offer in what could be his last season in local football's top flight.

De Four said Woodley brings experience and a winning mentality to the Eagles set-up. By all accounts, the Eagles coach will also be expecting Woodley to bring a bag of goals as his team sets their targets for the new season.

"We have set a goals target in terms of the number of goals we would like to score for the season," De Four said. "We want to score more than 40 goals for the league season and we want to concede less than 15 goals. We have to set realistic goals.

"I think the season will be very revealing because we are going back to a brand of football which is entertaining. We hope to play attractive football that is easy on the eyes."

In February, Minister of Sport and Community Development Shamfa Cudjoe-Lewis and the T&T government committed a $TT 9 million-sum to the TTPFL over a three-year period, to go along with funding from the Fifa Forward Programme 3.0. De Four says he's longing for the day the TTPFL lands a big corporate sponsor to serve as a catalyst for the teams in the league to follow.

"I would like to see the TTPFL get about $10 million for the league to be called 'x, y, z league' and that will trickle down to the clubs who will get investors who will invest upwards of $200,000. I would think the league could take the first leap.

I would like to hear tomorrow the league has got sponsorship for a five-year deal. From the time that happens, the whole landscape changes because businesses would say if 'x, y, z' could invest, then I could invest as well."

De Four was tight-lipped on Eagles' own quest for additional sponsorship, saying: "No comment on that. It's a work in progress."

The Eagles coach said the process of sourcing sponsorship can be a complex one, as clubs aren't given sufficient time to put these things in place in the off-season.

"You need to get a longer notice so clubs can approach whatever companies. I am not saying you will get through, but you will have a better chance because companies can now put it in their budget for the upcoming year," De Four said.

"In a perfect world, you'll have more time. I don't want to compare the TTPFL to other leagues across the world based on what has been done. You would want leagues to let clubs know six months before the start date and even the fixtures. Prospective sponsors and partners and so on need official documentation to work with their accounting department, bankers and auditors in that process."

Heading into the second TTPFL season, De Four says the league is on an upward trajectory.

"The League is a work in progress. One of the main factors in the league has been funding. I think they are in the process of attempting to resolve it," De Four said.

"This is the second season and there has been progress because there is a lot more data collection up front. The league is collecting a lot of data and moving it around so people can now understand what is happening much more clearly financially and so on. I think it's a step forward."

On the field of play last season, the Eagles finished four points behind the 11th-placed Prisons FC team and a staggering 48 points behind eventual TTPFL champions Defence Force. Starting on November 24, Eagles will hope to take some forward steps of their own and take flight when they meet Police FC in their first game of the season.

"On field preparations are partly with the administration – T&T Football Association – and the clubs. The club is training and doing what they can, but the registration window has just opened. The registration process has begun and I'll say things are going smoothly until further notice. We will be ready God's spare life to start on November 24 and we hope everything else will be ready."

On Friday, the TTPFL will host an award ceremony for the inaugural season at the Hilton Trinidad and Conference Centre. This event will also serve as a soft launch for the upcoming season.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2023, 02:03:42 PM »
Wha wrong with the name Cunupia. I have no issues with Eagles. But why can we use some of our Indigenous name for our sports team. I can handle Cunupia Eagles. But just using Eagles is kind of lame.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 04:49:54 PM »
Director after club drops out Trinidad and Tobago Premier League: Jabloteh need a miracle

Four-time Pro League champions San Juan Jabloteh have pulled out of the second season of the Premier Football League (TTPFL) due to financial shortcomings and club director Phillip Fraser says only a miracle can see the club participating in the upcoming campaign which kicks off on November 24.

Jabloteh, fondly known as the “San Juan Kings,” have been a force to be reckoned with in local football since they were founded in 1974. Their last two league titles came in back-to-back seasons in 2007 and 2008. Jabloteh also had a presence on T&T’s senior team which went to the Fifa World Cup in Germany in 2006, with the trio of Cyd Gray, Aurtis Whitley and Anthony Wolfe making the Warriors’ final squad.

Ahead of the 2023/24 TTPFL season though, Fraser said it’s “painful” for the Jabloteh community to be missing out on T&T’s highest level of football competition. Jabloteh also skipped the Pro League’s 2012/13 season owing to similar financial concerns.

“Jabloteh will not be one of the teams playing in the upcoming TTPFL season unless some miracle happens by now or tomorrow,” Fraser told Newsday during an interview on Thursday.

“That’s to tell you how bad it is. Only miracles can happen to save Jabloteh right now if somebody in corporate T&T feels Jabloteh should be part of the (TTPFL) because 30 men are being deprived of an opportunity to show their talent.

“The motto of our club speaks to helping the youths and those in deprived neighbourhoods. But we have been left with no alternative. It is a really sad day for football in the community of San Juan/Santa Cruz and of course the East/West corridor because we represent a large cross section of people in the community.”

Phillip said the budget for the upcoming season was originally set at $1.3 million, with Jabloteh able to bring the figure down to an estimated $900,000 after reducing salaries of members of the technical staff including coach Marvin Gordon. Despite the best efforts of their main sponsor Langston Roach Industries, Jabloteh could not generate the necessary funds to sustain an entire season.

“With a budget, you’re supposed to show income too and we were only able to show a contribution because we have had consistent contributions from Langston Roach on a monthly basis. But it cannot sustain the needs of a full season with 30 players and a technical staff.

“You could reduce your budget maybe to $600,000. But at the end of the day, what quality of football will you get? You would have to pay most of your players $2,000 (a month) and less and that’s going below the basic minimum wage. If we went any further, it would have meant us spinning top in mud.”

Fraser said the monthly salary projection for the players for the upcoming season ranged from $3,000-$7,500. He thanked Langston Roach Industries and other sponsors for their support over the years and acknowledged the difficulties faced in the current economic climate.

“I am not ridiculing any sponsor. Times are hard but we need to move forward.”

Last season, a youthful Jabloteh team finished eighth on the 12-team table in the inaugural TTPFL campaign with 22 points from as many matches. TT youth internationals Dantaye Gilbert and Lindell Sween both showed promise for Jabloteh in midfield, with Dwight Jordan (six goals) and veteran striker Kevon Woodley (ten goals) leading the attack reasonably well.

Gilbert, a former standout with Presentation College (San Fernando) in the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) moved to Jong PSV in the Dutch second division in September. Woodley, 37, transferred to Eagles FC (formerly Cunupia FC) ahead of the upcoming TTPFL season.

Fraser said players are free to go to other clubs in the interim, but it’s a reality he is not too keen to face.

“I don’t even want to think about players transferring to other clubs because I wanted my team to take part in the TTPFL. I was hell-bent on us playing this season because Jabloteh was formed in 1974 with that mandate of uplifting the community. I wish my godfather would come from somewhere and assist this club right now.”

Fraser says Jabloteh’s youth programme will continue as normal as the club tries to stick to its original vision. Still, he wishes to see Jabloteh return to the highest heights at senior level.

“Even (TT men’s football coach) Angus Eve was one of our players. A lot of national footballers played with San Juan Jabloteh and now to hear that we are out of the TTPFL, it is most painful.”

Another local powerhouse club, W Connection, have decided to take a “sabbatical” for the 2023/24 TTPFL season as they work to restructure the administrative and financial aspects of the club.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2023, 01:13:52 PM »
Army determined to hold on to TTPFL crown.
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday).

Reigning Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League (TTPFL) champions Defence Force are looking ahead to the upcoming league season with optimism, and head coach Lloyd Andrews says the Army are intent on defending the league and knockout titles they won in the inaugural TTPFL campaign.

On November 3, Defence Force was rewarded for their outstanding display in the first TTPFL season, as they dominated the TTFPL award ceremony. Free-scoring central defender Justin "Shiggy" Garcia won the Player of the Season and Defender of the Season awards for a campaign that saw him combining steely defence at the back with a total of ten goals across league and knockout tournaments.

Lanky striker Brent Sam, who registered a hat-trick in Defence Force's knockout final win over Terminix La Horquetta Rangers in July won the Golden Boot in the competition. Army goalkeeper Christopher Biggette won the goalkeeper of the season award and Andrews was named manager of the season.

Biggette, Garcia and Army's electric winger Reon Moore have all been picked in coach Angus Eve's T&T squad for the first leg of their Concacaf Nations League A quarter-final vs the US on November 16.

Looking towards the TTPFL season which kicks off on November 24, Andrews is happy his players are getting the recognition they deserve.

"I want to congratulate the entire team, staff and players," Andrews told Newsday. "I got manager of the year award, but that was for the players and staff – not for me. Without them, I would have been nowhere. I have nothing but love for all who contributed. Those things are just blessings for us. It is something for the young players to look up to. Once you are committed to hard work, you can achieve."

Defence Force won the league title by a solitary point after getting a dramatic 2-1 over runners-up AC Port of Spain at the Arima Velodrome on June 24. Andrews anticipates another fight for the title in the upcoming season, but he says his troops will be ready for the war.

"If you are a champion team, you are expected to defend your championship. You have to play even harder (than the previous season).

"The new thing now is to go back through tapes and see how Defence Force played to see what strategy you can come up with to get three points when they come against us. It is expected teams will come out to play us much harder."

If he has things his own way, Andrews will love Army to wrap up their title defence before the nervy stages at the end of the season.

"It is difficult to predict whether or not there will be a close title race again this season. It is when the competition actually starts, by maybe the fifth round or so people will have an opportunity to kinda judge how (the title race is) going. I would not like it to go down to the wire."

Andrews' assistant, Hutson "Baba" Charles, a former Strike Squad player, coached Fatima College to their first league title in the Secondary Schools Football League's (SSFL) premier division era in the ongoing 2023 season. Andrews hopes Baba can bring the magic touch into the Army camp for the TTPFL season as well.

Following their double-haul in the TTPFL last season, Defence Force participated in the Concacaf Caribbean Cup alongside AC POS. However, neither team got past the group stage of the tournament.

Andrews says the journey to another Caribbean Cup tournament has already begun for his squad.

"The objective is to get back to the Concacaf Caribbean Cup. "(Preparations for the new season have been) going good. We have to do the best we can. We just came out of our Concacaf Caribbean Cup campaign so we had to try and try and bring down the players to a particular level in terms of intensity."

Former T&T under-20 midfielder Kaihim Thomas, who scored the title-clinching goal for Defence Force on the final day of the league season against AC POS, has resumed training after sustaining an injury in a vehicular accident.

Andrews did not give much hints on new recruits coming into the squad though.

"We have some youngsters coming into the team but it is about bringing them up to the standard we require at this time."

For the upcoming season, Andrews wants Defence Force to play enterprising, but rewarding football.

"We want to play exciting football. Even though we want to be exciting, we have to ensure the excitement does not take away from our quality."

From November 24, Andrews and his Defence Force team will look to defy all comers when they begin the defence of their TTPFL double crown.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2023, 06:53:34 PM »
We’ll be back: W Connection promise to return after taking season break
T&T Express

The last word from current W Connection CEO Renee John-Williams, is that the local professional club expects to return to action in the near future.

This after announcing that the Savonetta Boys will take a one-year sabbatical from the Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League (PFL).

“Our request for a sabbatical was something we discussed with the League, so it doesn’t affect our position,” John-Williams told the Trinidad Express.

”Phoenix (Tobago) has entered Tier One. Our absence has made space for them and when we do come back, it’s going to be there as a Tier One club, once we are properly licensed, which is the requirement for all teams. We will be back out.”

W Connection finished ninth in the truncated first season of the PFL in 2023. The 2023-2024 season is due to begin on November 25.

CEO John-Williams, is the daughter of former chairman David John-Williams, the former president of the Trinidad & Tobago Football Association (TTFA) and owner of the club, who passed away in 2022.

She assured that W Connection would return to top flight status.

“We made a decision over the last couple of months to take a sabbatical. To restructure things around the club from an administrative and financial standpoint, so that when we do come back out, we come back at the level and the standard that we are used to.”

In 2023, W Connection had their lowest-ever finish in the local professional league, ending ninth of 12 teams.

“We finished in ninth position and we took some time to review certain areas and this was the decision we felt would have been best for us this season.”

W Connection have been T&T’s most successful professional club, having won three Caribbean Club Championships and were four times runners-up.

The Savonetta Boys are five-time TT Pro League champions; won the FA Trophy four times; First Citizens Cup champions seven times and are three-time Digicel Charity Shield winners; three-time Toyota Classic winners; six-time Digicel Pro Bowl champions and winners of the Lucozade Sport Goal Shield on two occasions.

Connection also featured in a couple of CONCACAF Champions League classic matches against Mexican club Pumas, but never won the tournament.

The club had for many years drawn top quality players from overseas and T&T. Among their former players are Brazilians Jefferson Goulart and Ronaldo Viana; Jonathan “Fana” Frias from the Dominican Republic, Colombia goalie Alejandro Figueroa; while Earl Jean, Kurt Fredericks, Elijah Joseph and Titus Elva were among a host of top Caribbean footballers who played under Stuart Charles-Fevrier, the long-serving W Connection coach.

Connection also featured top local players such as Kenwyne Jones, who later moved to the English Premier League; Hughton Hector, Reynold Carrington, the deceased Shandon Winchester, brothers Alvin and Joevin Jones, Jomal Williams, Jerrel Brito, Andre Toussaint, Andrei Pacheco, Silvio Spann and goalkeepers Jean-Michael Williams and Marvin Phillip among them.

More recently, current national goalkeeper Denzil Smith and Nathaniel “Natty” James have also represented the club.

During the time away, John-Williams stated W Connection will focus on youth development.

“It is our intention to focus on rebuilding our youth arm from an academy perspective, from a youth team perspective,” she said. “Once there is a youth structure in the upcoming season, it is our intention to participate.”

Commenting on the financial challenges of running a professional club, John-Williams added: “Government subvention isn’t meant to cover anyone’s entire budget. I mean to run a professional team (is) quite exorbitant and the Government subvention is there to be a measure of support to teams.

“...We will always want more,” John-Williams admitted, but said further, “it’s (the subvention) there as a measure of support and the support that we received, it is appreciated.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2023, 01:49:25 PM »
League CEO Colin Wharfe excited as TTPFL kicks off

The second season of the Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League (TTPFL) kicks off in earnest at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo on Friday evening with an intriguing double-header, with the TTPFL also announcing a $ 250,000 prize for the championship team in tier one for the upcoming season.

In the season-opener from 6 pm, Police FC will play the rebranded Eagles FC team (formerly Cunupia FC). In the second game from 8 pm, last season's two TTPFL winners – Defence Force and 1976 FC Phoenix – will lock horns from 8 pm. In the inaugural TTPFL season which spanned from March to June 2023, coach Lloyd Andrews and his Defence Force team stamped their authority on the league as they won both the tier-one league title and the knockout competition. Phoenix won the TTPFL's tier two competition after an undefeated league campaign and also satisfied the financial and club licensing criteria to be accepted into tier one for the upcoming season. TTPFL tier one will have 11 teams this season, as longstanding clubs Jabloteh and W Connection have taken a "sabbatical" for this season due to financial and structural reasons.

On Wednesday, the TTPFL announced an increase in the prize money for both the tier one and tier two competitions. In addition to the $ 250,000 prize for the tier-one winners, the second-placed team will receive $160,000 and the third-placed team will get $90,000 – a total of $500,000 in prizes. Last season's tier one winners got a $ 125,000 prize, second-place got $75,000 and the third-placed team received $50,000. The overall prize money for tier two has grown exponentially from $75,000 to $300,000. The tier-two champions will receive $150,000, with the second and third-placed teams receiving $90,000 and $60,000 respectively.

TTPFL CEO Colin Wharfe told Newsday he is very expectant ahead of the league's second campaign, and he says it is encouraging to see clubs taking an initiative and sourcing sponsorship. He also said the league was able to cut back expenses.

"The biggest thing for us was a better understanding of our expenses. The big one would be the travel to and from Tobago. We had budgeted for more teams representing Tobago. That fell quite dramatically to two (teams) so there was the capacity there.

"The other thing was the number of teams who tried to get their own sponsorship. Let us call it indirect sponsorship because the numbers relative to what we were getting for the teams increased through their own initiatives which meant we could use the $3 million subvention from the (T&T government) and the $2.5 million from Fifa differently."

Army and Phoenix dominated the TTPFL awards on November 3. Army's free-scoring centre-back Justin "Shiggy" Garcia walked away with the Player of the Season and Defender of the Season awards after a stellar campaign which saw him breaking into the Soca Warriors team for their ongoing Concacaf Nations League A campaign. Andrews was named manager of the season for tier-one, with goalkeeper Christopher Biggette, who made his T&T international debut against Guatemala in October, won the goalkeeper of the season award. Phoenix forward Jem Gordon, a former T&T Pro League player with Central FC and W Connection, walked away with tier two's Golden Boot, Player of the Season and Best Forward awards. Phoenix coach Nigel De Souza was adjudged the best coach in the second division, with Phoenix's Duvaughn Daniel copping the best goalkeeper award for tier two.

"What we did last season was basically call around friends and well-wishers because we did not have a product to sell. Now that we have a product, we are going to be marketing it."

Wharfe said Fifa submitted a data-finding questionnaire to all teams, with the responses reflecting a need for improvement in marketing, regional strengthening and governance. He said mechanisms have been put in place to deal with match-fixing allegations which surfaced in September.

"We have now engaged an integrity officer. He will be working directly with his counterparts out of Fifa. We will do training with different elements of the clubs to ensure they are educated on these matters. The teams now have a proactive obligation to say something if they see something."

The TTPFL CEO is expecting a great season across both divisions.

"I am very expectant for the (new season) because you are hearing about a lot of big names who are coming back into the league. You are going to have fitter and competitive teams because the first season was about getting the guys razor-sharp again.

"A number of teams do not feel as though they have done themselves justice in the Caribbean club competitions, so they want to go back and prove themselves again. There is an aggressive pursuit of players and transfers. People are starting to take (the TTPFL) seriously."

As Andrews looks ahead to his team's first game of the season against Tobago's Phoenix outfit, he says Army will be doing all in their power to win the double again.

"(Army have) no secrets. All of our secrets are out in the open because we have won everything (last season). We have to ensure nobody infiltrates our domain," Andrews told TTPFL media this week. "Our domain has trophies so nobody should come there and remove them."

From 6 pm in Mucurapo, a new-look Police FC team will look to lay down the law against ace striker Kevon "Showtime" Woodley and the rebranded Eagles.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2023, 02:15:07 PM »
1976 Phoenix excited for TTPFL Tier 1: We won't be whipping boys!
David Scarlett (T&T Newsday)

THE second edition of the Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League (TTPFL) kicked off on Friday with a promise of more action, thrills and spills.

Last season, the league enticed excitement, anxiety and even heartbreak down to the final match of the campaign with Defence Force clinching the title over AC Port of Spain in a top-of-the-table clash.

This season, for the first time in the Premier League Tier 1, there will be a team from Tobago. Having won the Tier 2 division of the TTPFL, Tobago Phoenix will compete in the top flight and bring a new dimension to a league that previously consisted of only Trinidad teams.

They were outnumbered in the same way in the second division, but that did not hinder their success. Phoenix won the league’s regular season without loss – amassing 24 points from ten matches, winning seven and drawing three. They then won their playoff semifinal against Harlem Strikers on penalties before defeating Petit Valley/Diego Martin United 2-1 in the final.

Promotion and relegation were not a part of the league’s system last season. However, Phoenix, as Tier 2 winners, were granted a special exemption following the temporary withdrawal of W Connection from the competition.

They will be the first Tobago team to play in the nation’s top flight since the now defunct Tobago United did in the former T&T Pro League. Tobago United were perennial table proppers and failed to make an impact in the Pro League. They were known as the league’s “whipping boys”, with teams regularly running up double digits in goals against them.

However, Phoenix will be aiming to give a better account of Tobago and represent with pride.

Phoenix coach, Nigel De Souza, is adamant that his team are not in the league to make up numbers.

In an interview with Newsday, De Souza said, “We understand the task at hand and the difficulty that comes with making this step up. We are prepared tactically, physically and mentally to handle the rigours of Tier 1, and we are looking forward to the challenge.”

He then jokingly said that his team’s goal is to not be the “whipping boys” of the league, which is the bare minimum of their objectives for the season. He added, “We need to get in and play the first couple of games to feel the tempo and rhythm (of the league) and then, after three games, we can make adjustments if we need to.

“We want to finish as high as possible. I’ve been in football long enough to know that many things can happen. Our team is confident, but we will be taking things one step at a time, game by game.”

“It’s important to get that first win as early as possible. Once we get that winning taste, it will be key for us. We are not here to finish bottom of the league.”

Newsday also spoke with Phoenix’s general manager, Huey Cadette, and captain, Javon “Pokemon” Williams, and they shared the same sentiment as the head coach along with a desire to, one day, compete for a place in Concacaf (the Concacaf Caribbean Cup or Concacaf Caribbean Club Shield, which will lead to qualification for the Concacaf Champions Cup).

“I am elated and cautiously optimistic towards this big step,” Cadette said. “Our main objective is to give a good account of ourselves. We will try to aim for mid-table or above, that is a realistic objective for us in this first year.”

Williams, 23, has been on the Phoenix senior team since he was 16. He said, “Don’t count out Phoenix! We red and we ready!”

He continued, “The goal is to be in the top half of the table. The guys really want to achieve this and we have been working hard to do so.”

Phoenix has the one of the youngest squads in the Premier League, with an average of 24 years old. However, with seasoned players such as Michael Jem Gordon, they will have the required tools to accomplish their mission.

Gordon was Phoenix’s top scorer in Tier 2, netting eight goals in ten matches. The lethal striker may be key in the team’s Tier 1 campaign.

1976 Phoenix is expected to add a new dimension to the top flight. Phoenix were proudly supported by their fans and community in Tier 2, and even attracted greater crowds in Trinidad than most of the Trinidadian teams.

The club is loved and adored by the people of Canaan and wider Tobago, and the TTPFL is expected to enjoy that Tobago love.

Cadette said, “(Phoenix and its supporters) will bring our passion (to the league). Tobagonians are very passionate about sport and we always come out in large numbers, especially if we are at home, and that would translate on to the field and you will see it in our play.”

De Souza believes their inclusion is a plus. “You can’t have a Trinidad and Tobago Premier League without a Tobago team. Tobago brings a different kind of community and a different atmosphere to the football. The island of Tobago is excited and there is a buzz from the locals to see a Tobago team back (in the top flight) as a full Tobago squad.”

Phoenix have a baptism of fire in their debut on November 24 against the champions, Defence Force. The “Teteron Boys” are loaded with current and former national players who have a vast amount of experience.

De Souza said, “We expected to get Defence Force as our first game. But there is nothing better than playing a game like this. I’ve never coached a game where I thought that I couldn’t win. So we will be tactically smart and try to take our chances when we get them.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2023, 02:59:08 PM »
Eagles FC hold Police 1-1 in TTPFL opener
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

EAGLES FC came from behind to grab a 1-1 draw with Police FC in the opening match of the second season of the T&T Premier Football League at Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo on Friday.

After an opening ceremony, which included moko jumbies and a performance from pan side Phase II, the match kicked off.

Police FC, led by national players in brothers Joevin and Alvin Jones, started on the front foot with attacks against the Eagles.

It took 20 minutes for Eagles FC to get a sniff on goal. Rhondel Gibson's free kick was whipped into the area, but it was too close to Police goal-keeper Adrian Foncette.

Minutes later, Police FC's Jabari Mitchell found himself wide open six yards out but did not get the contact he would have liked and headed wide. To add to the atmosphere, the sound of a rhythm section was played on the speakers.

Around the 30-minute mark, following Foncette's poor clearance, Eagle's Kevon Woodley took a shot from 30 yards but did not find the target with the Police goal-keeper way out of his goal.

Police FC then struck the crossbar with a header following a corner from Joevin.

Mitchell then made amends for his earlier miss converting in the 40th minute.

Police started the second half with more possession and continued to look more menacing going forward.

Exilus Angelo showed energy for Eagles, but he was called offside multiple times.

The Jones brothers showed their chemistry linking up on the right side, but Alvin's low cross was not converted.

Eagles FC made Police FC pay for all their wasted chances as Woodley equalised in the 72nd minute. Angelo played a through ball to Woodley who dribbled around Foncette before putting the ball into the open net. A Police defender tried to clear off the line, but the linesman gave the goal.

The equaliser brought added tension to the match and tempers got heated as referee Nikolai Nyron had to separate the players. Alvin and Woodley were seen throwing words at each other.

Jordan Riley had a final chance to give Police the lead, but he made a mess of Joevin's cross with minutes left.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2023, 03:38:09 PM »
Garcias cut 1976 Phoenix's rise in Army's 5-0 TTPFL win

Reigning Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League (TTPFL) tier one champions Defence Force wasted little time in laying down their marker in the new campaign, as they spanked tier one newcomers 1976 FC Phoenix by a 5-0 margin at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo on Friday night.

Playing in the second game of a doubleheader on the opening night of the TTPFL's second season, coach Lloyd Andrews' team showed no mercy to last season's tier-two winners as they put on a militant display to get the first win of the season. The Army shared the love around, as five different goal scorers found the back of the net as last season's league and knockout cup winners cut Phoenix's flight. There was also a familiar surname on the scoresheet for Defence Force, as three of their five goals were scored by Garcias – none of whom are related.

The first goal came in only the sixth minute, as Nathaniel Garcia – the elder brother of Soca Warriors star forward Levi Garcia – beat Phoenix goalkeeper Duvaughn Daniel. The Phoenix shot-stopper was named the best goalkeeper of the inaugural tier two campaign as his team went unbeaten in league play last season. However, Daniel and his defence did not have an answer for Defence Force, who are intent on repeating their double-title feat from last season. Phoenix, who were accepted into tier one for the 2023/24 campaign after satisfying both financial and club licensing criteria, were given a rude awakening in their first game in TT's top flight.

Defence Force were direct in their play down the flanks, with the pair of Kathon St Hillaire and in-form Soca Warriors attacker Reon Moore threatening the Phoenix defence with their trickery and lightning speed. For all their pressure, Army's second goal came as a result of lackadaisical play at the back by the opposing team, although the finishing touch was still pleasing to the eye. Towering Defence Force striker Brent Sam was the man who got his team's second goal, as he rifled a right-footed shot past Daniel from just inside the box in first-half stoppage-time following a Phoenix giveaway.

Phoenix arguably had their best opening of the game with a pair of chances within seconds of each other just after the interval, but the defending champions swiftly put the game to bed with a goal at the other end. In the 52nd minute, the visiting Tobago team initiated a swift counter-attack, but Trevin Caesar's goal-bound effort was expertly charged down in the area by Justin Garcia – tier one's Defender of the Season and Player of the Season award-winner. At the end of the same play, Phoenix's Le Jandro Williams rippled goalkeeper Christopher Biggette's side-netting with a rasping right-footed blast.

In the 55th minute, Justin, fondly known as "Shiggy," made his presence felt in the opposing box as well as he rose above the defence to head home a right-side corner by Justin Sadoo to make it 3-0. Last season, Shiggy scored seven league goals – inclusive of penalties – to help Army to the tier one title.

In the 66th minute, Moore emerged as the new spot-kick taker for Defence Force, but his right-footed penalty was kept out by Daniel's trailing leg. Three minutes later, Daniel was picking the ball out of his net after another set piece, as Shiggy's fellow central defender, Jamali Garcia, headed in a corner by Nathaniel Garcia. Phoenix coach Nigel De Souza may have been sick at the sight of Army's cadre of Garcias at that point.

The defending champions were not done there though, as substitute Lashawn Roberts sent a lovely stooping header past Daniel in the 90th minute after receiving a delightful cross from Curtis Gonzales. Roberts, who hails from Tobago, will hold the bragging rights among his Phoenix peers after Army's convincing win.

On Sunday, three games will be contested in the TTPFL. In an Arima Velodrome double-header, Caledonia will face last season's tier one runner-up AC PoS from 4 pm, while Prisons FC will play Central FC from 6 pm. At the Mahaica Sporting Complex in Point Fortin, Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic will host Terminix La Horquetta Rangers from 6 pm.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2023, 08:22:29 AM »
Anyone have a listing of the rosters for the teams?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2023, 03:45:51 PM »
AC PoS shut out Morvant Caledonia FC 2-0
By Sherdon Pierre (T&T Newsday).

Athletic Club Port of Spain scored two second-half goals to record a 2-0 victory over Morvant Caledonia FC on Sunday in the opening round of matches in the Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League (TTPFL) tier one, at the Arima Velodrome.

AC PoS are hoping to go a step further in this year`s edition of the tournament after losing out to Defence Force on the final day last season. The “Town Boys” were made to work for their victory as Caledonia`s goalkeeper Aaron Enill was in scintillating form,especially in the first-half where he produced five crucial saves.

The former Defence Force custodian single-handily kept his team in the match by stopping several attempts from attackers John-Paul Rochford, Jameel Neptune and striker Kadeem Corbin. Enill ended the match with eight saves.

AC PoS piled on the attack in the second half, and it paid dividends in the 69th minute. Maurice Force broke the deadlock when he headed home from close range following a left-sided free kick by national midfielder Duane Muckette.

AC PoS ended any doubts when they doubled their lead in the 91st minute when Isaiah Leacock tapped in from point-blank range after a smart pass from Corbin on the left side who did exceptionally well to keep the ball in play before passing to Leacock.

Central FC and Prison Sports Club played in the second match of the double header at the Arima venue.

Also yesterday, Terminix La Horquetta Rangers faced Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic at the Mahaica Sporting Complex, Point Fortin.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2023, 03:46:46 PM »
Rangers turn to youth, look for 'balance' in TTPFL.

AFTER a fourth-placed finish in the inaugural TT Premier Football League (TTPFL) season, Terminix La Horquetta Rangers head coach Dave Quamina has promised to unleash a more youthful looking team in the league’s second season as his team tries to strike the right balance. The new TTPFL season kicked off on Friday night with a double-header at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo, with reigning tier one champions Defence Force emerging as the lone winners on the night after a resounding 5-0 victory over newcomers 1976 FC Phoenix.

Rangers’ TTFPL campaign kicked off with a matchup against Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic at the Mahaica Sporting Complex in Point Fortin yesterday.

Last season, with players such as Tyrone Charles, 34, Ataullah Guerra, 36, Daneil Cyrus, 32, Kadeem Corbin, 27, Real Gill, 20, and Kaihim Thomas, 20, at their disposal for most of the season, Rangers finished five points back of third-placed Tiger Tanks Club Sando and missed out on qualification for Concacaf Caribbean club football as a result.

Both Corbin and Gill transferred to Sando during the league campaign last season, with the former now at last season’s runner-up AC PoS. Thomas tasted TTPFL success as he made a timely transfer to Defence Force last season, and he was joined at the Army by former Rangers goalkeeper Jabari St Hillaire who was called up by Soca Warriors coach Angus Eve for the 2023/24 Concacaf Nations League A campaign.

Quamina said Rangers have lost good, young talent, but they have also taken measures to replace those players within the squad. Rangers have drafted in former Central FC striker Kesean St Rose, ex-Jabloteh defender Jelani Peters and former national under-17 winger Tyrese “Boy Boy” Bailey.

Last year’s Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) MVP Tarik Lee, who featured sparingly for Rangers last season, is still within the ranks, alongside the aforementioned veteran trio of Charles, Cyrus and Guerra, who have over 120 TT international appearances combined.

“I think all teams are going into the season with their (expectations) high. Football is played on the day. You cannot predict a season until it starts,” Quamina told Newsday in an interview done before the start of the season.

“Last season was competitive so we are going to try and see how close we could be to the top. We have a lot of young players this time around so we will be trying to do better than we did last season.”

Rangers arguably went into the inaugural TTPFL season as one of the favourites, particularly after a dominant showing in the 2022 Ascension Invitational tournament. They started the season brightly and looked to be contenders, but ran out of steam and faded badly. Club owner Richard Ferguson even publicly admonished his players following a 1-0 win against Jabloteh at their Phase 2 La Horquetta home ground in May.

When asked if Rangers felt any pressure going into the new season, Quamina said, “I think all the teams are under pressure. One of the teams you may have to watch this year is the Point Fortin (Civic) team. They have assembled a good squad. They have assembled a good bunch of players so that is a team you have to watch.

“You still have to watch the Defence Force and Police. It will be a competitive (season) this time around. It will not be a walkover. I do not think there are any so-called big teams.” He added, “Last season was not one of our better seasons pertaining to conceding goals. I think we were up there with the top teams in the goal scoring department but (defensively we were not at our best).

“We are trying to have a balanced seasoning pertaining to goal-scoring and defending. Football is played both ways so we are trying to work on that.”

Rangers’ Phase 2 La Horquetta home base has almost become the local benchmark for the right mix of football and entertainment, with hundreds of spectators flocking to the venue to enjoy the on-field football drama and the off-field performances and parties.

“We will try to please the fans by coming out and trying to perform and make the La Horquetta community proud from the first game to the last game. We will give our best. All the teams have an opportunity and a chance to play for something because teams (want Concacaf Caribbean Cup) glory.”

On Wednesday, the TTPFL announced an increase in the prize money for both the tier one and tier two competitions, with a total of $800,000 in prizes to be distributed across the two divisions. The championship-winning team in tier one will receive $250,000 – doubling the amount given to last season’s winners. Quamina anticipates a fight to the finish.

“I think about four or five teams have a very good chance of coming into the mix for the Concacaf club tournaments so we will see how it goes. All the teams have to work on the day. It will not be a walkover.”

TTPFL knockout finalists last season, it remains to be seen which version of the Rangers team will show up for this TTPFL campaign.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2023, 05:51:12 PM »
Prisons FC, Rangers grab wins to end TTPFL opening weekend

Prisons FC and Terminix La Horquetta Rangers wrapped up the first weekend of the 2023/24 Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League (TTPFL) season with contrasting victories over Central FC and Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic on Sunday.

In the second game of an Arima Velodrome double-header, Prisons, who finished 11th on the 12-team tier-one table last season, got an excellent start to the new campaign as they spanked Central by a 4-1 margin. Prisons' wide pair of Trevis Byron and Jeremiah Vidale troubled the Central rear guard all game with their direct running and trickery, with Vidale notching a neat double to put an exclamation mark on his team's performance.

Central did have their chances to grab the ascendancy in the contest before Vidale got on the scoresheet for Prisons, with former Soca Warriors flanker Nathan Lewis at the heart of their attack. Lewis, a recent transfer from Eastern Football Association (EFA) champions Maloney Eagles, was stopped at point-blank range by Prisons custodian Kelvin Henry in the 11th minute. Just six minutes later, Lewis sent in a dangerous cross from the left which was headed onto the bar by Joshua Alexander.

The match turned on its head for Central thereafter though, as they gave away a rash penalty and were down by a 3-0 margin at the half as Prisons rattled off three goals in the space of 22 minutes before the break.

In the 20th minute, Prisons' veteran full-back Kemuel Rivers fired a penalty way over goalkeeper Nicholson Gordon's bar after the Central custodian cleaned up an opposing player in the area on a counter-attack. Gordon and Central's luck did not last too long, as Vidale drilled a low right-footed shot into the far corner in the 24th minute after getting by defender Kirtson Baird with consummate ease on the right flank. Byron then stung the palms of Gordon with a meaty hit in the 33rd minute, before Renaldo Francois doubled Prisons' lead with a left-footed curler which seemed to bamboozle both Gordon and his unsuspecting defenders in the 42nd minute.

In first-half stoppage-time, Vidale showed his accuracy in front of goal once more as he drilled another low, right-footed effort past a hapless Gordon at the end of a rapid Prisons counter.

Central did muster a goal of their own in the 48th minute, as midfielder Elton John converted a penalty after Alexander was brought down in the area. Vidale was denied a hat-trick goal in the 50th minute after a fine save from Gordon. Meanwhile, just seconds later, Lewis was also thwarted by a fine save at the other end. Lewis, 33, was easily Central's best attacking player on the night. However, the fleet-footed flanker could not help his team cut into Prison's lead any further.

In the 85th minute, Prisons put the icing on a fine display as substitute Dwight Jordan, an off-season acquisition from Jabloteh, beat Gordon with a clinical close-range finish after receiving a reverse pass from the impressive Vidale.

At the Mahaica Sporting Complex in Point Fortin, the hosts Civic were undone by a Rangers team that came from a goal down to get a 2-1 win. Civic jumped out to an early lead as attacker Ezekiel Kesar scored after just two minutes. Rangers, losing knockout cup finalists last season, restored parity in the 23rd minute through a penalty from Tyrone Charles. The La Horquetta team grabbed all three points on the road in the latter stages, with striker Isaiah Lee scoring in the 83rd minute to sour the home team.

In an interview with Newsday before the start of the season, Rangers coach Dave Quamina said, "One of the teams you may have to watch is the Point Fortin (Civic) team. They have assembled a good bunch of players so that is a team you have to watch."

Based on Sunday's evidence, all eyes will be on Quamina's unpredictable Rangers outfit as well.

TTPFL action will resume on Friday with three matches being held. Reigning champions Defence Force head the standings after the first weekend of matches following their resounding 5-0 win against last season's tier two winners 1976 FC Phoenix.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2023, 03:49:05 PM »
AC PoS, Club Sando to battle in WoLF final.
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday).

Athletic Club (AC) Port of Spain advanced to the Women’s League Football (WoLF) final after they clawed their way back from a two-goal deficit to conquer Trincity Nationals 4-3 in semi-final two at the Diego Martin Sporting Complex on Sunday.

Two quick goals in the 29th and 31st minutes from Leeann Kirby gave Trincity Nationals an early cushion.

Seven minutes later, Naomi Guerra pulled one back for AC Port of Spain to make it 2-1.

Trincity were then reduced to ten players as referee Trenton Toney gave Shenelle Warrick her second yellow card in first-half stoppage time.

Undeterred, Trincity regained their two-goal advantage just before the break as Jonelle Warrick found the back of the net.

In the second period, AC Port of Spain reduced the deficit as Rea Belgrave slotted one home in the 50th minute. Tamara Johnson then levelled the score in the 72nd minute, setting up a dramatic finish.

AC Port of Spain made their numerical advantage count and scored the go-ahead goal courtesy Shakeema Forestine in the 77th.

Just after Forestine scored the winner, Trincity coach Joel Warrick, who was yellow-carded in the 46th, received his second yellow, and was given marching orders by Toney in the 78th minute.

In the other semi-final, Club Sando defeated Defence Force 2-1.

Goals by Alexcia Ali and Dennecia Prince put Club Sando in control. Aaliyah Prince trimmed the deficit late, but Club Sando held on for the win.

Losing semi-finalists Trincity and Defence Force play for third place.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 04:04:25 PM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2023, 03:13:21 PM »
Expert urges TTPFL clubs to build a brand.

Senior fellow at the Sir Arthur Lewis Institute of Social and Economic Studies (SALISES) Dr Roy McCree said local professional football teams need to rethink their management structure and marketing strategies.

He said this is essential to not only attract more spectators, but also grow their brand locally, and by extension, increase the extrinsic value of the league to regional and international audiences.

McCree was speaking at Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic Centre (PFCC) FC’s media day at Mahaica Oval, Point Fortin on November 21.

He reminded club members and players that sport is a billion-dollar industry. McCree believes if clubs modernise and focus on enhancing their public image, in communities and nationally, they will see an increase in spectators, sponsors and revenue.

“Is it time now for a fan club or a club of supporters that defines the professional setup elsewhere?” he asked. “Club supporters have a football function, a psychological and political function to support the team, and an economic function to buy club merchandise.

“Across the TTPFL, you look at the television, you look at the stands and you try to find the crowd and spectators, and that remains a problem.”

McCree drew reference to school and domestic club football from the 1960s to 1980s, when matches would generate thousands of spectators at venues like the Queen’s Park Oval in St Clair and Skinner Park in San Fernando.

He reflected on the 1963 Intercol final between QRC and St Mary’s, which McCree said attracted almost 30,000 spectators at the Oval. Another similar clash between St Benedict’s College and Fatima drew 20,000 to the south venue, in 1965.

“Something has happened in our football at all levels – school, club and national.

"The internet has its own advantages and disadvantages. There’s a problem of crowd support at all levels of our football. It is challenged that, at the club level, if it is you want a source of funding and particularly the issue of merchandising, you need a fan or support base.”

Merchandising, McCree said, is a major source of revenue for pro teams everywhere.

“It is my hope that in the not too distant future that we can see a shop selling merchandise for Point Fortin Civic Centre, so I can come and get a cup, teacup, glass, t-shirt, bags, necklaces and so on with ex- and current players’ names on it.

"For that is something that we should rethink our realm of possibility to do.”

McCree has a PhD in Sociology of Sport (Leicester University, UK), MSc in Sociology (UWI) and a bachelor's in French, Spanish and Sociology, also from UWI.

McCree also spoke on the challenges of club management. He said while one of the main issues remains player recruitment, player retention and player performance, the same can be said for management personnel.

“Historically, throughout the county, and even nationally, football has been managed by ex-players with a great commitment to the game. That has been a model that continues with PFCC.

“But in a professional setup, it’s a problem when you have ex-players who are 60, 70 and 80 being charged with the responsibility to manage a pro team and deal with the issues of marketing and sponsorship."

He cited four-time Pro league champions San Juan Jabloteh, who pulled out of the ongoing TT Premier Football League season, which kicked off last Friday, owing to financial shortcomings.

“We know what has happened with San Juan Jabloteh, established in 1973, and they have had to pull out of the pro league because of funding issues. But at the base of that are also management and marketing issues. Team management is the challenge we face going forward."

McCree credited Heritage Petroleum for taking on PFCC’s sponsorship role and urged the players to recognise the importance of the company’s input into the promising football careers.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2023, 12:52:39 AM »
Kadeem Corbin hat-trick gives AC PoS 4-1 win vs 1976 Phoenix.

Striker Kadeem Corbin netted a hat-trick and led Athletic Club (AC) Port of Spain to a convincing 4-1 victory over 1976 FC Phoenix when round two of the TT Premier Football League kicked off at Dwight Yorke Stadium in Tobago on Friday.

AC Port of Spain’s Sedate McLean also found the back of the net for last season’s runners-up while Mickaeel Jim Gordon scored Phoenix’s lone item.

Despite sealing three points, the "Town Boys" suffered a setback when player Jameel Neptune broke his leg during action in the sister-isle. He is certain to miss the coming fixtures as he recovers.

The win for AC Port of Spain, however, saw them remain perfect after two matches, having won their opening test 2-0 against Morvant Caledonia FC, one week ago.

For last season’s tier two winners, Phoenix, who were promoted to tier one for the second edition, this was their second loss on the trot, after losing out 5-0 to tier one winners Defence Force, in their opener on November 25.

Corbin’s hat-trick was the first of the season.

Terminix La Horquetta Rangers also remained perfect as they defeated Morvant Caledonia FC 2-0 at home, at Phase Two Grounds. Isaiah Lee opened the scoring for the hosts in the 19th minute and Tyone Charles added another, 11 minutes later.

Lee put them further ahead in the 34th while Caledonia’s Tevin Scott salvaged a consolation goal in the 67th.

In their opening match against Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic Centre last weekend, Rangers came from behind to win 2-1, courtesy a goal each from Lee and Charles.

Morvant Caledonia, however, remain winless after two matches.

Additionally, Tiger Tanks Club Sando got their new campaign off to a winning start as they defeated Central FC 1-0 at the La Horquetta venue on Friday.

Shervonhez Hamilton scored in the 31st minute and so it remained until the end. This was Club Sando’s first match of the season courtesy of a first-round bye.

Central FC, though, lost their second, after going down to Prisons FC in their season opener last weekend.

On Sunday, at the Ken Cooke Grounds in St James, the servicemen will battle it out as defending champions Defence Force Elite take on Police FC from 6pm.

Defence Force are confident following their five-goal win, and sit atop the table, while Police FC will be hoping for an improved showing after their opening round 1-1 tie with Eagles FC (formerly Cunupia FC).

The other contest kicks off at 4pm at Arima Velodrome between Prisons FC and Eagles FC.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2023, 03:43:34 PM »
Sam bags double, but Police hold Army in TTPFL..

DEFENDING TT Premier Football League (TTPFL) tier one champions Defence Force were held to an exciting 2-2 draw by Police FC in the "servicemen derby" at the Police Barracks, St James on Sunday evening.

Army looked to be in the ascendancy as they took a 2-1 lead just before halftime, thanks to a pair of headed goals by their giant striker Brent Sam. On both occasions, Sam rose above the Police defence to beat goalkeeper Adrian Foncette following lovely crosses by in-form Soca Warriors attacker Reon Moore.

The electric Moore, playing on the left flank, and his Soca Warriors teammate Alvin Jones, at right back, had an almighty battle, with neither player giving an inch in a physical joust. Jones, who was named to the Concacaf Nations League A Best XI for both the October and November Fifa windows, dealt with Moore's pace astutely in their one-on-one duels.

Moore was voted to the Nations League A Best XI in October, and showed his pedigree in the contest. The Defence Force attacker used the breathing space afforded by Jones to whip accurate crosses into the area, and Sam's goals in the 32nd and 43rd minutes pegged back the Police team which took a 17th-minute lead through Kwesi Allen.

Defence Force had the lion's share of the possession in the second half, but they could not drive home their advantage. Substitute Lashawn Roberts, who scored against Police last season, was slipped through on goal by Kaihim Thomas late in the contest, but Jones and the Police defence recovered brilliantly to close down the angle and deny the Tobago striker a shot at goal.

Police were determined to get a share of the spoils this time around, and defender Elijah Belgrave sent a close-range effort past Army goalkeeper Jabari St Hillaire in the 89th minute after Joevin Jones put in a teasing free kick from the left flank.

In the fourth minute of stoppage-time, St Hillaire, who was deputising for the injured Christopher Biggette, left the Army supporters with their hearts in their mouths when he nervously flapped at a long punt from the back. St Hillaire was just able to fend the ball away from Police substitute Christian Thomas as the derby ended with a share of the points.

Police have started the season with back-to-back draws following their 1-1 stalemate with Eagles FC (formerly Cunupia FC) in the first game of the 2023/24 TTPFL season.

At the Larry Gomes Stadium in Malabar, Prisons FC were able to get a second straight win as they defeated Eagles by a 2-1 margin. Striker Ricardo John bagged a double for Prisons, with Eagles forward Ricardo Williams grabbing a consolation goal for his team deep into stoppage-time.

After two match days, last season's runners-up AC Port of Spain are one of three teams leading the pack on six points. AC PoS head the 11-team table due to their +5 goal differential. Prisons (+4 goal difference) and Terminix La Horquetta Rangers (+3 goal difference) are in second and third spots respectively. Defence Force are in fourth spot with four points from two matches. Tiger Tanks Club Sando round off the top five after getting three points in their solitary match to date.

Both Defence Force and Prisons will put their early unbeaten records on the line when they meet at the Arima Velodrome on Friday.

TTFPL tier one standings:

Team*GP*W*D*L*GF*GA*GD*Pts
1.AC PoS*2*2*0*0*6*1*5*6
2.Prisons FC*2*2*0*0*6*2*4*6
3.La Horquetta Rangers*2*2*0*0*5*2*3*6
4.Defence Force FC*2*1*1*0*7*2*5*4
5.Club Sando*1*1*0*0*1*0*1*3
6.Police FC*2*0*2*0*3*3*0*2
7.Eagles FC*2*0*1*1*2*3*-1*1
8.Point Fortin Civic*1*0*0*1*1*2*-1*0
9.Caledonia*2*0*0*2*1*5*-4*0
10.Central FC*2*0*0*2*1*5*-4*0
11. 1976 FC Phoenix*2*0*0*2*1*9*-8*0

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2023, 01:37:53 PM »
Gill hits screamer as Club Sando, Eagles draw 1-1.

Tiger Tanks Club Sando and FC Eagles played to a 1-1 draw when match day three of the TT Premier Football League kicked off at Manny Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella on Friday.

Striker Real Gill scored a scorcher in the sixth minute to put Club Sando ahead, but Eagles’ veteran Kevon "Showtime" Woodley drew level in the 19th minute.

Gill’s stellar strike came after he picked up the ball on the half-line and charged goal-bound. He got past one Eagles player and then cut to the right past another, before rifling home a long-range effort with his right foot, beyond a flying Eagles custodian.

Woodley erased the deficit as both teams shared the spoils.

The result saw Club Sando join title holders Defence Force on four points in the standings, while Eagles got their second point after three matches played.

Up to press time on Friday, action continued with Defence Force up against an undefeated Prisons FC unit at the Arima Velodrome.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2023, 02:14:54 AM »
Defending TTPFL champs Army defeat Prisons 3-1.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

DEFENDING Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League champions Defence Force handed Prisons FC their first defeat of the season with a 3-1 victory when matchday three continued at Arima Velodrome on Friday night.

With the win, Defence Force moved to the top of the table with seven points.

Army opened the scoring early courtesy a 13th minute strike from Kathon St Hillaire, a lead they held until half-time.

Prisons levelled the match in the 63rd minute through Kemuel Rivers, but Defence Force responded quickly. Brent Sam, who was a prolific goalscorer last season, gave Defence Force the lead in the 74th minute before Kaihim Thomas rounded off the scoring two minutes into stoppage time.

Defence Force may not remain on top by the end of matchday three as there are still three more matches to be played. Heritage Petroleum Pt Fortin Civic and Central FC will meet at Mahaica Sporting Complex in Pt Fortin on Sunday, 6 pm.

A double-header will be played on Monday at the Police Barracks to close off matchday three. At 5 pm, Police will battle 1976 Phoenix and in a clash between two perfect teams AC Port of Spain will face Terminix La Horquetta Rangers at 7.10 pm.

The match between AC Port of Spain and Rangers is expected to be a close contest as both teams were in contention for the title most of last season.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2023, 12:11:25 PM »
There has to be at least one midfielder in the TTPFL right now who is good enough to replace Neveal Hackshaw in our national team?

I'm not talking about players like Poon Angeron who are already on the team, but other players who will be match ready and fitter than Hackshaw when the Canada game comes around. I know that not every player that looks good, or who you might like, is actually national team material, but there has to be at least ONE that Eve could draft in?

From the little I know playing Futsal is not going you to make you match ready for Canada.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2023, 02:50:20 PM »
Maybe Justin Sadoo

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2023, 03:46:38 PM »
Jaikaran hat-trick sets Strikers off to 8-0 win in Tier II.
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

A hat-trick from Moses Jaikaran and a brace from Kareem Baptiste Sunday, set the Harlem Strikers’ campaign off to a perfect start in Tier II of the T&T Premier Football League.

The Strikers made their struggling financial position public before the start of the competition last week but on the field, it was anything but a struggle.

Jaikaran led the way with three goals and Baptiste a double in a cruel demolition of Laventille United at the Frederick Settlement Recreation ground in Caroni, which marked a return to the ground labelled as unsuitable last season.

A large turnout, greeted the team after spending some two years away from the facility. Apart from Jaikaran and Baptiste, the Central lads got other items from Jaheim Ashby, Keithon Carter, and Jerron Francis in their winning effort.

Manager Gregory Mc Sween said the win showed that his team is up for “big things” this season, but they need some help in achieving it. Last season, the Strikers rebounded from a slow start to finish third in the Big Six Play-Offs, which followed a battle with Guaya United for the right to qualify for the six-team Play-Offs.

Their opening match of the season, against Tiger Tanks Club Sando at the El Dorado West Secondary School, was postponed due to a short turnout of officials. However, there was no stopping the victory for the Strikers following a commanding performance.

Mc Sween said his team will next face Bethel United in Tobago, and he wants to up the ante then.

“We are looking for better things in that game. In fact, we wanted a duplicate of that performance, but I think we can do even better. That victory is for the people of Frederick Settlement as well as the wider Central areas where our players have come from,” Mc Sween said.

He noted: “The problem now is that we really need a corporate citizen to come on board and help our cause. Our players are in need of boots, a stipend to travel to and from practice and games, water, and other refreshments for matches. We are trying our best right now but we need that added assistance to get us further.”

Meanwhile, in another match at O’Meara recreation ground in Arima, the home team, the University of T&T (UTT), went down to a heavy 6-1 loss to the Defence Force.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2023, 04:21:34 PM »
Muckette sends AC PoS to TTPFL top with late winner vs Rangers.

LAST season’s TT Premier Football League (TTPFL) runners-up AC PoS maintained their perfect record in the 2023/24 season, as they got a stoppage-time winner from playmaker Duane Muckette to defeat Terminix La Horquetta Rangers by a 2-1 margin at the St James Police Barracks on Monday night.

In an exciting clash in the second game of a doubleheader, AC PoS and Rangers looked to be heading to a share of the spoils with the scores locked at 1-1 in the dying stages of the game. However, Muckette, a regular starter, had the most telling touch in the game after being introduced off the bench just before the hour mark. In the third minute of second-half stoppage-time, Muckette received a precise pass from the left by fellow substitute Brandon Semper, before beating Rangers goalkeeper Jabari Brice with a low, right-footed drive from about 23 yards out.

The AC PoS bench emptied as players scampered onto the field to celebrate with Muckette. The players also went to the touchline to embrace AC PoS flanker Jameel Neptune, who suffered a broken leg in AC PoS’ 4-1 win against 1976 FC Phoenix on December 1.

The St James crowd got value for money as the two TTPFL powerhouses squared off. Although AC PoS dominated much of the first-half flow, Rangers took the lead in the 29th minute with a scrumptious right-footed volley from midfielder Daniel David.

AC PoS got their just reward in the first half, as Rangers defender Daneil Cyrus turned into his net in the 39th minute when he tried to cut out a left-side cross from opposing winger Sedale McLean.

The “Capital Boys” came out full of vigour in the second half, and they had a strong penalty appeal turned down by referee Kwinsi Williams in the 50th minute when Ross Russell Jr put in a meaty tackle on AC PoS forward Haile Beckles. Just seven minutes later, the Rangers' defence was put under pressure once again when Brice made a brilliant point-blank save to deny McLean at the back post.

The three points were there for the taking, and AC PoS showed their intent by bringing on the pair of Muckette and Kadeem Corbin in the 59th minute.

Rangers had chances of their own, as Tyrese Bailey flashed wide of the mark in the 74th minute, before attacker Isaiah Lee headed straight at goalkeeper Marvin Phillip just seconds later. With their momentum growing in the encounter, Rangers goal-scorer, David, was inches away from beating Phillip again when he banged a shot off the post from a tight angle in the 76th minute.

David’s near miss was Muckette and AC PoS’ gain as the Soca Warriors midfielder settled the game with his clinical injury-time hit.

AC PoS jumped to the top of the 11-team table with nine points from three matches, with defending champions Defence Force (seven points) in second. Prisons FC and Rangers (both six points) are in third and fourth spots respectively.

Police FC (five points) moved to fifth spot with their 2-0 win over the struggling Phoenix team in Monday’s first match.

Police played the majority of the match with ten men, as their goalkeeper and captain, Adrian Foncette, was shown a red card for handling outside the area in the fourth minute. Despite having a numerical disadvantage, Police looked comfortable against the Tobago club and were deserving of their victory.

Before Foncette’s dismissal, Police took the lead in the third minute when Willis Plaza converted from just inside the area after a turnover by Jariel Arthur. Police doubled their lead in the 36th minute, as Gabriel Nanton finished off a left-side move with aplomb after being picked out in the area by Joevin Jones.

The lawmen will go after their second win of the campaign when they meet Prisons in a servicemen's clash in St James on Sunday.

TTFPL tier one standings:

Team*GP*W*D*L*GF*GA*GD*Pts
1.AC PoS*3*3*0*0*8*2*6*9
2.Defence Force FC*3*2*1*0*10*3*7*7
3.Prisons FC*3*2*0*1*7*5*2*6
4.La Horquetta Rangers*3*2*0*1*6*4*2*6
5.Police FC*3*1*2*0*5*3*2*5
6.Club Sando*2*1*1*0*2*1*1*4
7.Point Fortin Civic*2*1*0*1*5*2*3*3
8.Eagles FC*3*0*2*1*3*4*-1*2
9.Caledonia*2*0*0*2*1*5*-4*0
10.Central FC*3*0*0*3*1*9*-8*0
11. 1976 FC Phoenix*3*0*0*3*1*11*-10*0

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2023, 10:12:51 PM »
1976 Phoenix take flight, whip La Horquetta Rangers 4-0

Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League (TTPFL) tier one newcomers 1976 FC Phoenix earned their first points in T&T’s top flight, on their fourth attempt, on Thursday night, as they got a huge 4-0 win over Terminix La Horquetta Rangers at the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet, Tobago.

Phoenix were the TTPFL tier two winners in the inaugural campaign after going unbeaten through the league and playoff competition which ended on October 10. But the Tobago outfit had a rough start to life in tier one as they lost their first three matches by a combined 11 goals to one.

Phoenix were beaten 5-0 on the opening night by defending champions Defence Force on November 24. They then lost 4-1 to AC PoS, before going down 2-0 on Monday to a Police FC team which played the majority of the 90 minutes down to ten men.

Phoenix coach Nigel De Souza said his team had been guilty of “playing names” on paper. In Bacolet on Thursday, Phoenix showed the TTPFL audience a glimpse of their quality as they played the visiting Rangers off the park.

“Yes, we can point to a lack of experience, but the personal responsibility from the players to give that extra effort was not there in the opening matches,” De Souza told Newsday.

“I thought we played the names a little bit against Police FC. We saw (current and former national players such as) Alvin Jones, Joevin Jones, Khaleem Hyland and Mekeil Williams. (Against Rangers), we forgot about the names. Everybody strapped up their boots and we played football.”

Phoenix opened the scoring from as early as the fifth minute through their ace attacker Mickaeel Jem Gordon. Goals from Adriel George, Trevonne James and a stoppage-time item from Jariel Arthur followed in the second half as Phoenix registered arguably one of the biggest upsets in the TTPFL competition to date.

George, the man-of-the-match, bossed proceedings in the midfield, with captain and central defender Javon Williams proving to be “a tower of strength” at the back for the hosts.

“Obviously, La Horquetta are one of the top teams in TT. We had to give (Rangers) their respect. But at the same time, you do not give people respect and not play your game. I was happy the guys responded and took personal responsibility for their performances and stepped out and gave the home fans something to cheer about.”

After Phoenix were accepted into tier one for the 2023/24 TTPFL season, De Souza told Newsday his team would not be the league’s whipping boys.

“We are still learning and adapting. Any minor mistake you make, top quality teams will punish you.

“Heading into our fourth game at professional level – I think sometimes people forget this, I think we limited the mistakes we would have made. We still made mistakes but we limited them. And then, we took our chances as well.”

Phoenix moved provisionally from the foot of the 11-team table up to eighth spot. De Souza said his team will take it a game at a time.

“We are the newly promoted team and we understand what that comes with. We understand we are climbing the ladder and nobody is going to give you respect. We have to go out there and play and earn the respect of the other teams.

“It is a very long season. About four or five guys have played at the professional level before. We will try to improve the players individually and collectively and let us see what the results say at the end of the day.”

Rangers, who finished fourth last season, are currently in fourth spot with six points after back-to-back losses.

Phoenix will aim to continue their upward trajectory when they face Prisons FC from 5 pm at the Arima Velodrome on Wednesday. Rangers will have the chance to reflect on their dip in form as they will be on a bye.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2023, 11:06:38 PM »
Gill lifts Club Sando over sloppy Army in TTPFL
By Stephon Nicholas (T&T Newsday)

NATIONAL midfielder Real Gill scored a double on Friday night to lead Tiger Tanks Club Sando to a 3-2 victory over Defence Force in the T&T Premier Football League, at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

The victory was Club Sando's second of the season and lifted them to third in the standings.

It was the first defeat of the season for Defence Force, the reigning champions, whose defending left a lot to be desired.

Gill opened the scoring in the 11th minute following a swift counter-attack up the middle after defender Jamal Jack dispossessed Brent Sam. Gill was fed through clean on goal and took his time to bury past Defence Force goalie Jabari St Hillaire.

Sam almost drew Army level in the 30th with a surging run down the left, but his ferocious left-footer was pushed on to the crossbar by the Club Sando custodian.

Five minutes later, midfielder Kevon Goddard restore parity with a purposeful run that caught Club Sando napping. A neat one-two with Sam on the edge of the box unlocked Club Sando's defence and Goddard tucked in the ball to the goalkeeper's right.

Despite end-to-end action, the match remained tied until the half.

However, just after the interval, Club Sando's Maurice Dick put his team ahead once more, aided by some sloppy defending by the Defence Force left-back Darnell Hospedales.

The latter lost possession of the ball cheaply and Shaquille Ferrier squared the ball to Dick who shaped to shoot on his left before cutting inside on his right and coolly placing the ball past the advancing St Hillaire.

For the second time in the match, Defence Force found the equaliser, in the 67th, this time via Justin Garcia who guided his header to the last post after a pinpoint cross from substitute Kaihim Thomas on the left.

Garcia thought he had his second a minute later, off a free-kick on the left by Justin Sadoo, but the referee spotted a nudge to the defender before he buried another header.

Three minutes later, it was déjà vu for Defence Force as Gill popped up to fire in the winner.

Jack beat Sam in a race for a loose ball in Club Sando territory and marauded forward before finding an unmarked Gill who raced through on goal and tucked the ball between the goalie's legs.

In the earlier match of the doubleheader, Eagles FC beat Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic 2-0 for their first win of the season. Frst-half items by Exilus Angelo and Kevon Woodley settled proceedings.

At La Horquetta Recreation Ground, Morvant Caledonia United's late flurry of goals earned them their maiden win with a 3-1 result over Central FC.

Ronnell Paul put Caledonia in front in the 51st, only for Nathan Lewis to level the contest in the 80th. Caledonia had no intentions of sharing the spoils, and goals from Isaiah Vallenilla (87th) Mahvy Rismay (stoppage time) ensured full points.

In another servicemen derby, Police FC and Prison FC meet on Sunday at 6pm at Police Barracks, St James.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2023, 02:28:50 PM »
Police FC raid Prisons 7-0 in TTPFL

Police FC recorded the biggest win of the 2023/24 T&T Premier Football League (TTPFL) season at the St James Police Barracks on Sunday night, as they hammered Prisons FC 7-0.

The victory lifted Police to second on the 11-team table with eight points.

Prisons started the season with back-to-back wins against Central FC and Eagles FC (formerly Cunupia FC), but they have hit a stumbling block with consecutive losses against their fellow servicemen – Defence Force and Police.

Prisons showed glimpses of their neat passing game in the early stages, and fashioned a chance in the eight minute through striker Ricardo John. However, once Police opened the scoring in the 16th minute via a right-footed volley from man-of-the-match Keron Cummings, the floodgates opened.

Cummings and fellow playmaker Joevin Jones were given freedom in midfield, and they made Prisons pay a heavy price. Barring a smart save from a swerving Alvin Jones free kick in the 14th minute, Prisons goalie Kelvin Henry had a rough outing as he conceded four goals in the first half before being substituted at halftime.

In the 24th minute, after Henry sloppily conceded a corner, Police went 2-0 up as Mekeil Williams sent a precise header to the far corner. With the Prisons players collectively dropping their shoulders, Police put the game to bed with a pair of goals within the space of 60 seconds.

In the 33rd minute, Joevin buried a left-footed shot from just outside the area, with striker Willis Plaza finishing off a sweeping Police raid down the left flank mere seconds later to make it 4-0 at the half.

Similar to the first half, Prisons showed flashes of their quality early in the second period as their lively winger Jeremiah Vidale banged a left-footed shot off the bar in the 53rd minute, after a nifty move in the area. That would be the closest Prisons came to a consolation goal, as Police oozed confidence in their possession game and showed no mercy for their counterparts.

The in-form Alvin made it 5-0 in the 73rd minute as he calmly converted a penalty after a handball in the area by Prisons defender Seon Thomas. Two minutes later, the evergreen Anthony Wolfe, 39, came off the Police bench to score his team's sixth goal as he beat substitute keeper Kahlil Oliver with a shot into the bottom corner.

The Police riot was fittingly rounded off by Cummings in the 82nd minute, as he headed in from close range following a short corner from Jabari Mitchell.

Through four matches, Police remain undefeated and are a solitary point behind table-toppers AC PoS (nine points). Defending champions Defence Force are third on seven points. Prisons (six points) have dropped to sixth spot.

On Wednesday, Police will visit fourth-placed Tiger Tanks Club Sando (seven points) at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella, with Prisons hosting 1976 FC Phoenix (three points) at the Arima Velodrome.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 02:32:42 PM by Tallman »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2024, 06:33:11 AM »
Army target early turnaround as TTPFL resumes

Defence Force coach Lloyd Andrews hopes his Army battalion can find last season’s title-winning form early as the 2023/2024 T&T Premier Football League (TTPFL) season resumes on Wednesday. He attributed Defence Force's up-and-down start to the season to their involvement in the 2023 Concacaf Caribbean Cup and their lengthy run in the TTPFL knockout tournament, which saw them defeating Terminix La Horquetta Rangers in an enthralling finale.

"We have won two games, we drew two games and we have lost one. But, the competition is still open," Andrews told Newsday. "Once we can pick up maximum points along the way. I think we will be good."

With last season's TTPFL MVP Justin "Shiggy" Garcia at the heart of the defence, the Army were resolute at the back and surgical in attack as they surged to TTPFL double crown. So far this season, Andrews said their defensive prowess has diminished.

"Our defensive organisation, for some reason or the other, was not what we had before – even though we did not change it. We have to pay some attention to that and we have to pay some attention to goal-scoring. We have to pay some attention to denying the opposition space and time between our defensive line."

Andrews said supreme fitness and mastering of the basics will be the key for TTPFL's title aspirants.

At the Hasely Crawford Stadium from 6 pm, the fourth-placed Defence Force (eight points) will meet the sixth-placed Caledonia (six points). The Army have already dropped seven points in the young season, after draws with Police FC and Point Fortin Civic, to go along with a defeat against a Real Gill-inspired Club Sando team on December 15 but Andrews wants the defending champions to start hitting their stride against Caledonia.

"We want to win this game against Caledonia at all costs. We want to kinda go up the standings. One of the things we must do is take our opportunities, and let the other team come from behind."

Last season’s TTPFL runner-up AC PoS will go after a fifth straight win on Wednesday when they tackle Eagles FC (formerly Cunupia FC) at the Arima Velodrome from 6 pm in the first game of a double-header.

AC PoS head the 11-team table with a perfect 12 points from four matches, and have already scored an impressive 16 goals – drubbing the cellar-placed Central FC by an 8-1 margin on December 20 to end 2023 in fine style.

AC PoS, who were narrowly pipped to the inaugural TTPFL title by Defence Force last season, will aim to continue their momentum against the eighth-placed Eagles.

In the second game of the Velodrome double-header from 8.10 pm, a rejuvenated Prisons FC (nine points) will tackle Tiger Tanks Club Sando (seven points) in an intriguing encounter. Prisons are third on the standings, with Sando closely on their heels in fifth spot.

At the Phase 2 La Horquetta recreation ground, the enterprising Rangers (six points) will look to address their indifferent start to the season when they entertain the struggling Central team from 6 pm.

Central have lost all five of their matches so far this season – conceding a whopping 20 goals in the process.

At the St James Police Barracks from 6 pm, the second-placed Police FC (11 points) will vie to keep their impressive unbeaten run intact when they host the ninth-placed Civic (four points).

Police have registered three wins and two draws in their five matches, and have looked a different team thus far this season, with players such as Keron Cummings, Alvin Jones, Joevin Jones and Willis Plaza all featuring prominently.

Civic will journey from the South and try to evade Police’s capture and end the lawmen’s run.

1]; } ?>