April 30, 2024, 10:09:59 AM

Author Topic: Who pays coaches contracts after World Cup.  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Who pays coaches contracts after World Cup.
« on: April 05, 2005, 05:39:35 AM »
Who pays coaches contracts after World Cup.
By: Walter Alibey - T&T Newsday.

Football fans I'm sure are of the view that newly-appointed coach Dutchman Leo Beenhakker has been contracted for the long term. This of course is not to say that the Trinidad and Tobago national football team will not qualify for next years World Cup tournament in Germany, because their chance is as good as any this time around. But surely Governments intervention will be a key ingredient if they are to qualify for a World Cup finals. If not for next year, then in the future, and it calls for a significant amount of funding for the team. Trinidad and Tobago Football Federations (TTFF) special advisor Jack Austin Warner, has made it clear he will pay the salaries of the coaches which include assistants Russell Latapy an ex-national captain and midfielder, and compatriot David Nakhid, among many others.
The local football boss gave the assurance also that salaries for his football staff will be paid only until October 12, when it will be known whether the Trinidad and Tobago team qualify for the 2006 tournament. And Warner added that his selection of the coaches has been specifically for the World Cup campaign. This means that should Trinidad and Tobago fail to secure a place in the World Cup finals, someone else will have to take up the mantle of covering coaches salaries. Or the other option is for corporate Trinidad and Tobago to come on board. But even that call for assistance from the business sector has been to the TTFF a beaten phrase,  and as Warner said so many times before, only the few such as KFC, Blue Waters and TSTT, have pledged their support for the national footballers through sponsorship.
Only recently the football federation got a fairy godfather in Government who have pledged to pump approximately $18 million into footballs development. Minister Roger Boynes told Newsday that part of the sponsorship has been allocated for the payment of salaries for all coaches, including the internationals. Boynes gave the assurance that Government have been working assiduosly on a holistic approach to the development of the sport in the twin-island republic. He said he will meet with members of the football federation today to finalise the agreement between the two parties, before the actual distribution of monies. Governments funding also entwines with their desire to get going a proposed national sports policy which is aimed at enhancing the development of all sports.
However, Warner made it clear that monies to be distributed by Government has been for the purpose of youth development only. He said Government never discussed anything beyond their youth development programme for which the $18 million is intended. Football federation president Oliver Camps said further, Government had pledged to fund the youth development programme, which is expected to enhance the development of the sport from the youth level to senior national level, but added that the World Cup campaign is something separate and apart. Camps added also that he does not know if Government have since changed their decision to provide monies for youth development only. Today, he said, will clarify exactly what happens with the much needed funding.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Who pays coaches contracts after World Cup.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 05:52:25 AM »
The Same as in the Past- Back to square one- Waiting on Mr Warner.

Walter have you heard the saying"The more things change the more they remain the same."- That is TTFF motto. The same Khaki pants all over again.

We will wait for a Quick Fix in 2008, fire the first coach on April 1st, then the second one at the hex. Bring in a foreigner for the last hurdle.

On a positive note let us hope either Nakid or Latapy will stay for the long haul. I doubt it about Latapy as he has already promised Falf- that after the next three games he will make a decision.

I hope that I am wrong on this one- TTFF , please make me eat my words.

Offline KND

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 06:29:27 AM »
Youth development is the best place to put the money.
I am not sure exactly where they are putting the money it would be nice to see the budget. Hopefully they are doing something good with it.

As far as the National Senior team is concerned their main source of revenue should be game receipts, merchandising and TV and radio money

The problem of course is that for our teams this money is lacking as the stadiums are not full, nobody buying the merchandise and our own TV stations are not showing the game the CRUX of the matter is that the team has no Fan support which equals no Money Support. Corporate people will put their money where they see benefit. Hopefully we can get some points engage the public and more money would come in.

The senior team is very expensive to maintain, Plane tickets Hotel rooms, food, Players fees and coaches fees will eat up that 18 million in no time and in the end we may not be in the world cup and there will be no more money for Youth development.

As I said at least 75% of the TTFF budget should go to U20 teams and younger.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 07:10:01 AM »

18 million was for youth development from what I saw in the press before.

Boynes might now say it is for both youth development and WCQ which would be a real bad move and would be because people like the new coach.  Funny he looking to splice some of the money off to support the foreign coach and wouldn't do nuttin with BSC dey.
Leave ALL that money for youth development....doh go interefering with it.

This senior team thing as KND say will eat up money real fast and it is a short term thing.  Doh kill a youth program for no 6 month WCQ.
Get that money somewhere else.

1]; } ?>