April 25, 2024, 03:09:36 AM

Author Topic: Bahrain already playing in the World Cup  (Read 5155 times)

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Bahrain already playing in the World Cup
« on: November 14, 2005, 08:17:31 AM »
Soccer squad make Bahrain proud... 
By Vijay Mruthyunjaya

With Bahrain just 90 minutes away from realising a long-cherished dream of playing in the World Cup, I'm already overwhelmed by the infinite possibilities awaiting the national team in Germany next year.

The end of one dream may well begin another, and mine started at 3.30am yesterday as I gave the finishing touches to the four-page GDN World Cup playoff special which carried the story of Bahrain's 1-1 draw against Trinidad and Tobago.

It was a delightful experience: realising the enormity of the achievement, and dreaming of the future possibilities.

Bahrain, for instance, being grouped with either England or France; Germany or Argentina is another exciting prospect while a match against Brazil can be a dream come true: Aal'a Hubail versus Ronaldo or Mohammed Salmeen vs David Beckham.

My favourite, however, will be to see Bahrain's wonderfully gifted goalkeeper Ali Hassan at one end and, perhaps, England's Paul Robinson or Dida of Brazil at the other at an exotic venue like Gelsenkirchen or Kaiserslautern.

At the other end, a clash between Bahrain and Saudi Arabia or South Korea, or even against Japan or Iran in a World Cup can be a fascinating duel among equals.

Or how about a clash of World Cup newcomers: Bahrain versus any of the five debutants - Ukraine, Ivory Coast, Togo, Angola or Ghana.

Even a simple draw or a narrow victory in any of the above showdowns can be as good as winning the World Cup, at least for the time being.

A lot of people have asked me for the secret behind Bahrain's unprecedented success and everytime I have said the same thing - a clear lack of fear and a strong will to overachieve.

These two factors were brilliantly on show against Trinidad, who were overwhelming favourites to win on home soil with a bunch of soccer stars.

But Bahrain played with traditional flair and fluency, and seemed well aware of the fact that they had everything to gain and very little to lose.

Their performance was not flawless, particularly after scoring in the 72nd minute, and they even let their guard down which allowed Trinidad to equalise five minutes later, but, overall, it was persevering and heartwarming.

It's now time to hail our soccer heroes, celebrate the occasion, and cherish the moment!

Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bahrain already playing in the World Cup
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 08:24:06 AM »
you lknow they have to do that

rasajoy :angel:

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 08:30:57 AM »
 :rotfl:  Ent real men here were talkin just like this a few days ago? 

Oh yeh, we scored because they let their guard down.........

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 08:34:39 AM »
truly partizan writing, wouldn't expect much difference
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Rotato Poti

• Hero Warrior
  • VIBES IT UP!!!
    • View Profile
    • ACB reloaded
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 08:41:36 AM »
By Vijay Mruthyunjaya
.... My favourite, however, will be to see Bahrain's wonderfully gifted goalkeeper Ali Hassan ....

Their performance was not flawless, particularly after scoring in the 72nd minute, and they even let their guard down which allowed Trinidad to equalise five minutes later, but, overall, it was persevering and heartwarming ...

Haha ... wonderfully gifted .... he can't do his own goal kicks, he cannot HOLD ... and he get string up like a bobolee. REAL talent there sah!

Let their guard down? ... dem men was soaking up pressha WHOLE game.
Flawless, persevering and heartwarming ... how about rolling around on the ground, time wasting, injury faking, throwing the ball away, kicking the ball away, breakfoot tackles.

PROPOGANDA I tell you!!! ... Them Middle Easterners win in that department for sure!!

I wonder if AlJazeera covering this .... it must have been beaten out for top spot in the headline news by that deadly Iraqi duo .... husband and wife confession.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 08:47:33 AM »
Dey in fantasy land.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 09:42:44 AM »
 Let's just get on with it....Go T&T

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 09:44:16 AM »
I personally hope that their players all read and believe that they are already there. Sounds like a 1989 in the making...at least I hope it is. But on a serious note, these guys think they have us beaten. The more I reflect on the situation, the more comforted I feel. Look at it this way, if we won 1 - 0, Bahrain would come all guns blazing, instead, as it is, we will play our natural ttacking football while they will defend and counter attack as they normally do already with the mindset that they are a superior team and in the WC '06. It is not as bad as a lot of people want to make it out to be.

May the force be with the Warriors.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 09:44:33 AM »
They moving like us in 1989...I hope the Bahrain players moving the same way.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 09:58:50 AM »
dream..dream.. dream...................................dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam.....dream.. dream..dream..............................dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Alsalman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 11:06:08 AM »
that guy wants a Bahraini passport  :rotfl:

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2005, 11:13:31 AM »
A lot of people have asked me for the secret behind Bahrain's unprecedented success

It is unprecedented that a team so shitty could reach this far without winning games.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2005, 12:02:09 PM »
They played with flair? He prob only catch d highlights

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2005, 12:12:01 PM »
look at trouble bahrain just take with jinx. ah hope we learn though when u look too far ahead in front u could bounce u big toe( '89 and '05  1st leg) focus on d task at hand( or foot ;D)
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2005, 12:19:58 PM »
I will give Bahrain credit where credit is due, they played well discilpined football and were well organised at the back and in midfield. They came to get a draw and if possible an away goal, they achieved both. However to say they played with flair is WAAAAY over the top. To make it sound like they controlled the game and their only lapse resulted in a goal when in fact they scored against the run of play is extremely misleading.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2005, 12:28:24 PM »
I will give Bahrain credit where credit is due, they played well discilpined football and were well organised at the back and in midfield. They came to get a draw and if possible an away goal, they achieved both. However to say they played with flair is WAAAAY over the top. To make it sound like they controlled the game and their only lapse resulted in a goal when in fact they scored against the run of play is extremely misleading.

I agree... plus no one controlled that game..not even the ref who was sucking rather than blowing.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2005, 12:43:45 PM »
A lot of people have asked me for the secret behind Bahrain's unprecedented success

It is unprecedented that a team so shitty could reach this far without winning games.

Are you saying Bahrain didnt win a game in the pre-playoffs? How good is this team really?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2005, 12:49:41 PM »

Are you saying Bahrain didnt win a game in the pre-playoffs? How good is this team really?

nah Bahrain is yet to win a game in their qualifying campaign.......I would like to say that they are no good, but they know how to dig out mediocre conservative results.......
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 12:56:05 PM »
bahrain = 1 win in 6 or 7 games.

If a team can DRAW its way to the World Cup, this will be a shame and scandal.

T&T need to put these men out of their misery.

If we cant beat them, or even manage a goal scoring draw, we want licks!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2005, 12:59:45 PM »
bahrain = 1 win in 6 or 7 games.

oops my bad, didn't realize that they won a game..........still shameful that they could get through without winning...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2005, 01:07:34 PM »
And don't forget that the team they beat was away to N. Korea, and N. Korea then went to Manama and won 3-2. 

N. Korea is ranked 86th. 

Ah tellin yuh, we goin to score some goals in Bahrain.

Offline Alsalman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2005, 01:13:17 PM »
And don't forget that the team they beat was away to N. Korea, and N. Korea then went to Manama and won 3-2. 

N. Korea is ranked 86th. 

Ah tellin yuh, we goin to score some goals in Bahrain.

but we did not play any of our main players that game because we were already guaranteed third spot  ;)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2005, 02:38:34 PM »
If yuh count three against Uzbekistan and the one against us it is 1 in 10.

How the ass these men does be talking about unprecented success is beyond me.

They keep talking about their asian cup performance, they come fourth and I sure that if they win two games they win plenty.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2005, 02:41:46 PM »
If yuh count three against Uzbekistan and the one against us it is 1 in 10.

How the ass these men does be talking about unprecented success is beyond me.

They keep talking about their asian cup performance, they come fourth and I sure that if they win two games they win plenty.

They win one game in regulation time against Indonesia I believe it was....
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline TnTVillan

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2005, 03:03:56 PM »
By Vijay Mruthyunjaya

With Bahrain just 90 minutes away from realising a long-cherished dream of playing in the World Cup, I'm already overwhelmed by the infinite possibilities awaiting the national team in Germany next year.

The end of one dream may well begin another, and mine started at 3.30am yesterday as I gave the finishing touches to the four-page GDN World Cup playoff special which carried the story of Bahrain's 1-1 draw against Trinidad and Tobago.

It was a delightful experience: realising the enormity of the achievement, and dreaming of the future possibilities.

Bahrain, for instance, being grouped with either England or France; Germany or Argentina is another exciting prospect while a match against Brazil can be a dream come true: Aal'a Hubail versus Ronaldo or Mohammed Salmeen vs David Beckham.

My favourite, however, will be to see Bahrain's wonderfully gifted goalkeeper Ali Hassan at one end and, perhaps, England's Paul Robinson or Dida of Brazil at the other at an exotic venue like Gelsenkirchen or Kaiserslautern.

At the other end, a clash between Bahrain and Saudi Arabia or South Korea, or even against Japan or Iran in a World Cup can be a fascinating duel among equals.

Or how about a clash of World Cup newcomers: Bahrain versus any of the five debutants - Ukraine, Ivory Coast, Togo, Angola or Ghana.

Even a simple draw or a narrow victory in any of the above showdowns can be as good as winning the World Cup, at least for the time being.

A lot of people have asked me for the secret behind Bahrain's unprecedented success and everytime I have said the same thing - a clear lack of fear and a strong will to overachieve.

These two factors were brilliantly on show against Trinidad, who were overwhelming favourites to win on home soil with a bunch of soccer stars.

But Bahrain played with traditional flair and fluency, and seemed well aware of the fact that they had everything to gain and very little to lose.

Their performance was not flawless, particularly after scoring in the 72nd minute, and they even let their guard down which allowed Trinidad to equalise five minutes later, but, overall, it was persevering and heartwarming.

It's now time to hail our soccer heroes, celebrate the occasion, and cherish the moment!

They gonna collapse the way we did in 1989. Dwight has said repeatedly they were in the world cup before they qualified. Same thing bahrain doing now feeling like they in the world cup.

GO SOCA WARRIORS

Offline Teflon Don

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2005, 03:09:06 PM »
yea bahrain allyuh run allyuh mouth man all i have to say is 1989 lolololol

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2005, 05:52:40 PM »
alya talkin bout wc already
dont get ahead of yourself

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2005, 07:12:14 PM »
By Vijay Mruthyunjaya

dis man go feeeeeeel reeeeeeeeeeel chupid when bahrain geh humbled at home about 2-0 ... he aint talkin bahrain's football style is best described as "Bread and butter"
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2005, 07:15:02 PM »
AND WHAT FLAIR AND FLUENCY DEY PLAYED WIT!?
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2005, 07:18:32 PM »
That column was totally ridiculous. They talk about being in the World Cup already and bearly even mentioned Trinidad and Tobago.Really poor journalism there. It completely lacks objectivity. It sounds more like one of those letters to the editor.They act as if they played better than us or something. We had 2 clear cut chances that we missed. Those chances will be well compensated for on Wednesday.

1]; } ?>