April 28, 2024, 11:57:23 AM

Author Topic: Yorke: Time to stand up and be counted.  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Yorke: Time to stand up and be counted.
« on: November 15, 2005, 04:04:28 AM »
Yorke: Time to stand up and be counted.
By: Nigel Simon (Guardian/TSTT).
[/size]

T&T football team captain, Dwight Yorke, said he is ready to play his brains out against Bahrain in the “must win” second-leg World Cup play-off at the National Stadium, in Riffa here tomorrow. The match kicks off at 7pm Bahrain time, which is 12 noon TT time.
The Sydney FC striker was speaking to a group of about 10 journalist who made the trip from T&T with the Warriors to this Middle East country following an intense practice session at the Bahrain Football Association headquarters training fields, which are less than five minutes walk to tomorrow’s match venue.
T&T, held to a 1-1 draw at home on Saturday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, must win ,or at least earn a high-scoring draw to book a place in next year’s World Cup finals in Germany, a first for the nation.
Dripping with sweat after he and his team-mates were drilled for almost two hours in cool weather, Yorke, reflecting on the first-leg match said:
“We all are fighting to get the Warriors to the World Cup, but at the end of the match we felt that we could have done much better on the night, we did not play well.
“We have now got ourselves into a tough situation, where we must score first and hope not to concede a goal.
The T&T captain was of the view that his team must stay focused on the task they face tomorrow to get the job done.
“As a team, we have to keep our focus and be sharp, we must play to our maximum because that’s something we did not do on Saturday.
“They (Bahrain) came to play and made life difficult for us on that night, however, we know we can turn things around.
“There is no need for us as a team or a country to panic, we still have 90 minutes of football left to play.”
Asked if he was satisfied with his own performance against the Bahrainis, the former Aston Villa and Manchester United striker replied:
“I know I’m the biggest critic of myself and every time I go out there I always try to give my best and if that means an improvement on the match from before, yes.
“The guys know that there is no secret about the situation and we are prepared to sweat blood to get the result we require.”
The 34-year-old Yorke, once the top scorer in the European Champions League competition, said that he had no butterflies going into the match, but felt it would be a significant one in his career.
“This match is of great significance to me especially at this stage of my career, I’m in my twilight years in the game and the impact this match will have not only on me, but our entire country, is just huge.”
Referring to his days with the Strike Squad (1989) when he and current team-mate Russell Latapy, undoubtedly the two most recognised T&T footballers worldwide in terms of success, and popularity, were faced the same crucial moment, Yorke said:
“It took us 16 years as a nation to get back to as close as where the Strike Squad was and we have to be ready for this match.
“Some of the guys know they did not have the best of matches as they had against Guatemala, Panama and Mexico, but tomorrow we all have to stand up and be counted as individuals and as a team,” he said.

Beenhakker: We have to play our brains out.

“We had two good sessions today (yesterday) and while the morning session was difficult for everyone, as they had to overcome the jet lag from the long flight, it was good.
While the 63-year-old T&T coach again voiced his disappointment with his team’s performance in the first-leg 1-1 draw, he stressed on the importance of Wednesday’s encounter.
“We are working on improving our game for the match, because we all know as a team we did not do a good job in the first match.
“In this key match, a much bigger effort is needed from everyone than before.”
Question as to what effects he thinks Bahrain’s loss of two players through suspension will have on his match, the former Holland and Saudi Arabia coach was quick to note that it was not important for T&T.
“The important thing is for us to play a much improved game, we have to play a good game, just like we did against Panama and Mexico, added Beenhakker.
He also pointed out that playing away in these kind of matches should have no effect on his players.
“The only difference is that your are playing away from your home crowd, they will have the supporters behind them.
“In a way, the crowds can be important, but as I said before, all that matters is how you play on Wednesday.
“At the international level, it does not matter where you play, you just have to get the job done.
“It’s something that players have to deal with at that level, if you cannot cope with it, well then you are not prepared for international football as a player.”
Stressing on what it means for a player to reach the World Cup, the Beenhakker, who has taken his team from the bottom of the Concacaf Group with one point after three matches to within 90 minutes of a World Cup spot said: “
I have been to the World Cup twice and no disrespect to your local league, but if the guys are happy to play in front of crowds between 25 and 100 people then so be it.
“Every young footballer dreams of appearing in a World Cup.”
Acknowledging the support of the T&T fans who came along on the Charter Flight the coach added:
“The support is a boost to the team, of course. It was the same last Saturday.
“Everyone is interested in the team and its very important for the players to know that.
“There are two sporting events in the world that most athletes want to be a part of, that’s the Olympic Games and the World Cup, so normally all coaches and players have to show that they are ambitious.
“We have to go out there and play our brains out on Wednesday and while some of the guys are not yet ready for these big occasions, they will have to learn the job on the field.”

Whitley only injury concern.

He may be the only player carrying a slight knock, but after yesterday’s two practice sessions, midfielder Aurtis Whitley, who was singled out by coach Leo Beenhakker as having his A-game on against Bahrain in the first-leg 1-1 draw, is the only injury concern of the management.
Beenhakker separated his squad into two teams and was very imaginative during the two-hour session on a well grassed training field.
Watched by their travelling band of supporters, led by President George Maxwell Richards and FIFA vice-president and T&T Football Federation advisor, Austin Jack Warner, the Warriors seemed at home. The T&T team will have one more training session today, which coach Beenhakker said will be a light work, before tomorrow’s match.
Warriors made to feel at home.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago skipper Dwight Yorke and teammates were feeling at home from afar as they settled in at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Bahrain treated to meals, home cooked-style, compliment of local chef Cecil Wint.
Wint, along with assistant Jeannette Douglas were hired by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation to travel to Bahrain to prepare the meals for the team which was experiencing it’s first stay ever in the Asian country.
Since arriving here on Sunday night, the team has had little to worry about off the pitch and coach Leo Beenhakker has been fortunate to have all conditions in order for preparations ahead of Wednesday’s do or die 2006 World Cup qualification playoff with Bahrain from 12 midday T&T time.
The TTFF also ensured that payments following Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Bahrain were handed out to the players on time following the match and other incentives are also in place once a win comes through on Wednesday.
The team had a one hour recovery session at the Bahrain FA’s training pitch, a stone’s throw away from the Bahrain National Stadium on Monday morning from 9:30am on Monday.
Under warm conditions, nothing different from what the “Warriors” are accustomed to back home, trainer Zeph Nicholas led the work out while Leo Beenhakker also directed a short sprint session with Dwight Yorke and company before a ball possession exercise which was aimed at getting the players to work the ball around for longer periods.
“Keep the ball like you’ve never done it before,” Yorke yelled several times during the workout. “Just one final push guys, one final push is what we have got to do.”
“I think the mood has been getting better and obviously we know what’s at stake on Wednesday and the guys have accepted that they were disappointing in the last game. This is our chance to make it better and by doing so, claiming our place in the World Cup next year,” Yorke told TTFF Media.
The mood was a vibrant one but one could sense that the intensity of the match on Saturday and then the long flight had taken some toll on the players but it all appeared to be normal again as the session approached closing time.  Dennis Lawrence trained separately with Nicholas due to muscle tightness. Midfielder Aurtis Whitley had to spend the time recovering from an ankle blow but has been passed fit to resume training from Tuesday with the rest of the 21-man squad minus Anthony Wolfe who was left out of the traveling party.
Beenhakker then took over the warm down period by repeating the short stop sprints.
Following lunch, Beenhakker led a meeting with the players and words were passionately exchanged. Beenhakker did most of the talking, letting his players know that destiny was at their feet on Wednesday.
“This is what you dream of as a kid. And everything you have achieved or not achieved for the years gone comes down to this. And what you can achieve now makes up for what you have not achieved in the past,” Beenhakker said.
A second session, this time open to the media and witnessed by an enthusiastic bunch of traveling T&T supporters took place from 6pm and the pace increased as Beenhakker put his players into a game situation workout. The turn out by the fans, roughly over 100 hundred of them was the largest ever to witness the team train either home or away for the entire campaign so far.

Photos from Warriors training on Monday morning, Courtesy Shaun Fuentes.

Stern John on way to the bus.

Clayton Ince.

Dwight Yorke.

Brent Sancho, Kelvin Jack and Shaka Hislop.

Leo Beenhakker & Dennis Lawrence

Leo Beenhakker & Dwight Yorke

Stern John & Dwight Yorke

Ian Cox & Kenwyne Jones

Jason Scotland & Christopher Birchall

Stern John & Kenwyne Jones

Chris Birchall, Kelvin Jack & Dwight Yorke

Carlos Edwards, Avery John & Shaka Hislop

Cyd Gray

Kenwyne Jones, Cornell Glen, Aurtis Whitley & Cyd Gray

Brent Sancho & Ian Cox

A smile from Dwight as the session ends.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 05:14:23 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline abojassim

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke: Time to stand up and be counted.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 04:17:54 AM »
you can't stand up trindad

bahrain will winner and go to Geramny ,,,

try to go in 2010 in south Africa ;)

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 04:35:10 AM »

remember those comments

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 05:12:30 AM »

No way no how Bahrain can Beat us on Wednesday...

GO WARRIORS!!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline jaden

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 06:55:21 AM »

the warriors will make you eat those words come wednesday. go warriors......warrior, warrior, warrior

GO WARRIORS!!

« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 06:59:58 AM by jaden »
mistakes are stepping stones to success

Offline TriniItalian

• Sr. Warrior
  • Never Wait to Procrastinate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 07:11:27 AM »

Man after serious soul searching and reflection how could you honestly believe those words? allyuh team is shit that 1st leg was like bout 6 yrs ago when a french side Nantes at the bottom of th league beat S.S.Lazio when men like Mendieta Simone Nesta Crespo etc was on that side WE WARRIORS WILL PREVAIL
A.W.A.T.T. INFORMANT

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 09:43:40 AM »
I find the white kit looking better than the red

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 09:58:40 AM »
BIG UP TO D WHITE KIT BIG UP TO  WARRIORSSSSSSSS
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 10:04:54 AM »
my prediction.YORKE SCORING TOMORROW.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 10:07:29 AM »
BIG UP TO D WHITE KIT BIG UP TO WARRIORSSSSSSSS

Yea the white kit BAD BAD.. but to me it missing a SMIGIN of red.. but that could just be their new training KIT... ? Probably
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 10:13:52 AM »
Looks like Whitley is fit.

Fantastic.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 10:14:21 AM »
BIG UP TO D WHITE KIT BIG UP TO WARRIORSSSSSSSS

Yea the white kit BAD BAD.. but to me it missing a SMIGIN of red.. but that could just be their new training KIT... ? Probably

yeah that iz ah training kit. them men have a million uniforms now
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

MickeyRat

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 10:17:02 AM »
Hear na, da training kit lookin sweet!!!!!!!!

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 10:24:31 AM »
Hear na, da training kit lookin sweet!!!!!!!!

And that is just a generic adidas training kit, when world cup come round and we have d badge and d sponosor logo on it too. I feel i buying dat one too yes!!!
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 10:28:52 AM »
    I am still so blasted upset about them damn uniforms the friggin one on Saturday was purely RED and the little white, not even black shorts or socks self, how shitty!! Maybe the nos. on their pants was in black but that is shit still. Now I see like T&T's away kit is PURELY black and white with no RED. What an injustice from Adidas, our home kit has no Black and our away has no Red. Absolutely DOTISH!! Finta we still love you.

J.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 10:34:47 AM »

how it go look yuh reach the sea and cyah bathe??
Yuh go eat them words

THE TIME IS NOW WARRIORS

Ms que un club.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 10:42:02 AM »
   The time is now Warriors!!!

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 10:48:03 AM »

what makes you think you will qualify for Germany let alone 2010?

MickeyRat

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 10:50:32 AM »
I am still so blasted upset about them damn uniforms the friggin one on Saturday was purely RED and the little white, not even black shorts or socks self, how shitty!! Maybe the nos. on their pants was in black but that is shit still. Now I see like T&T's away kit is PURELY black and white with no RED. What an injustice from Adidas, our home kit has no Black and our away has no Red. Absolutely DOTISH!! Finta we still love you.

J.

Na man, de thing look good.  If they buss out in Black shorts tomorrow..........................................Trouble in de place.....

Offline Clarke

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 11:02:57 AM »

boss man are u an idiot or a plain jacka@# boi trinidad will stand up on top of Bahrain and walk all over them. Dread i have better first touch control than them Bahrainis. Dey cud go Germany and watch from the stands yes. But not as a qualifier cuz dat is trinidad spot.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2005, 11:51:53 AM »
 them bahrain supporters just trying to get ppl vex...since they come on this site is only foolishness...Anyhow I believe in my team and i know they will do their best for the victory....I supporting 150%...GO T&T

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2005, 12:14:49 PM »
I want a T&T training jersey.

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2005, 12:24:07 PM »

ah find allyuh fools makin plenty noise as of recently on the site...

EMPTY VESSELS MAKE PLENTY NOISE......

allyuh bamsee palpitating since saturday... allyuh sounding scared.........    :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

1]; } ?>