April 16, 2024, 11:26:11 AM

Author Topic: Updates..  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Updates..
« on: November 17, 2005, 04:59:02 AM »
Public holiday today.
T&T Express Reports.
[/size]

It's official-today is a public holiday.
In a statement around 6.30 p.m. yesterday, Prime Minister Patrick Manning declared today a public holiday in celebration of the Soca Warriors' World Cup qualifying victory over Bahrain.
The message coming out of the Office of the Prime Minister at Whitehall read:
"Prime Minister Patrick Manning announced that the Government of Trinidad and Tobago has declared Thursday, 17th November, 2005, as a public holiday in celebration of Trinidad and Tobago's victory in the World Cup qualifying match against Bahrain (this afternoon).
"Information received from football officials in Bahrain indicates that the entire team, with the exception of Russell Latapy, is scheduled to arrive in Trinidad and Tobago at 12.05 p.m. tomorrow. The Government encourages citizens to use the holiday to participate fully in the welcome celebrations which will start at the Piarco International Airport and continue with a drive to Port of Spain," the release said.
Meanwhile, The T&T Pro League yesterday sent their congratulations to the 'Soca Warriors' on an historic victory over Bahrain in their second-leg World Cup qualifier yesterday.
In a media release yesterday, the Pro League said: "Words cannot express the joy and pride that we in the T&T Pro League feel on this historic occasion.
According to CEO of Dexter Skeene, "It is the dream of every footballer and 'footballing' nation to qualify for a World Cup. We have now realized our dream".
Skeene further stated, "It has been a long hard journey for Trinidad and Tobago. It was a fighting performance to defeat Bahrain away from home. It gives a clear expression of what we as a people are capable of with a united approach."
PM: Proper welcome awaits team.
By: Anna Ramdass (Express).
[/size]

Prime Minister Patrick Manning has said the Warriors have made history and at today's meeting at Whitehall, Cabinet Ministers will decide on the appropriate rewards for the players-including a public holiday.
A few minutes after the Warriors' historic victory, Manning at the Parliament sitting that "a proper welcome awaits them when they return to Trinidad and Tobago tomorrow".
"It has been yet another sterling performance...," Manning said in an interview with the media following the adjournment of Parliament, "we make history today for the first time, Trinidad and Tobago has qualified for the World Cup finals in Germany".
Manning said the team has done extremely well ,adding that the real greatness was the fact that the Warriors beat Bahrain on their own turf "in a very hostile environment".
"Any time you put a Trini's back against the wall that's what you normally get," said Manning.
He said the hostility from the Bahrain players would have been handled well in Trinidad, "it would have been an easy matter for the authorities in this country".
"I would like to congratulate them (Soca Warriors) very warmly and indicate to them that the Government is very pleased to be a part of this success."
Opposition Leader Basdeo Panday also expressed his excitement over the Warriors' victory. "I'm very pleased and I'm sure the entire nation is pleased and I congratulate the players and the team and we wish them success in Germany," he said.
When asked if he thought that a public holiday should be given to honour the Warriors , Panday responded, "I think whether we have public holiday or not, we have a public holiday."
Panday said while looking at the game he was supporting the wrong team as the Bahrain players wore red, "How them fellars can take our colours?" he asked jokingly.
Commenting on the hostility from the Bahrain players, Panday responded, "football is a physical game and one expects tempers to run high...especially when your football life depends upon it.
"Incidents like that will happen and one hopes that it will not happen as much and will not lead to serious consequences".
He said as the Warriors journey to Germany next year he is confident that they will continue on the road to success. "I think we'll do our best and I think we'll do well," he said.
Warriors an inspiration, says Boynes.
T&T Express Reports.
[/size]

"Aggressive and inspired" was how Sports Minister Roger Boynes yesterday described the victory of Trinidad and Tobago's Warriors over Bahrain in their last World Cup qualifier.
In a congratulatory statement following the National team's 1-0 victory in Bahrain, Boynes said: "Few had any doubt that following the 1-all draw at home on Monday that the team would travel to Bahrain with a singular mission-to emerge victorious and bring Trinidad and Tobago to our first ever appearance on football's grandest stage-the World Cup. Your aggressive and inspired performance against Bahrain underscored the understanding that as a team you were focused and quietly confident in each other on and off the field, especially when challenged to pull off a win away from home.
"All of Trinidad and Tobago watched in awe as you shook of the negative and delivered on the promise of glory for yourselves and the nation. The way you played the beautiful game is evidence of Trinidad and Tobago's place in world football. You deserve to be among the best of the world in Germany 2006." The Minister said that the team should serve as an inspiration to the citizens of this country.
"Every man, woman and child in Trinidad and Tobago should look to you for inspiration and be spurred on, through your determination, to excellence in all endeavours. May God bless each and every member of the team and technical staff and we eagerly await your return home," the statement ended.
Morris: Victory can unify us.
By: Kwame Laurence klaurence (Express).
[/size]

Corneal defends referee's decision.
This is the view of Clayton Morris, the man who led Trinidad and Tobago to within a point of the 1990 World Cup Finals in Italy.
Yesterday, T&T beat host team Bahrain one-nil to win their two-legged play-off 2-1 on aggregate and qualify for Germany 2006. Morris told the Express, yesterday, he was "very pleased".
"I look forward to seeing the newspapers. Instead of murder, the national team will be everywhere. Everything will be World Cup. I'm in traffic right now and water has overflowed the Caroni Bridge, but everybody is smiling. There is unity and camaraderie.
"This is an accomplishment," the Strike Squad skipper continued.
"It's very pleasing to see guys who were part of the 1990 campaign on this team-Dwight (Yorke), Russell (Latapy) and Michael Maurice, who is now part of the technical staff."
However, Morris explained that from a personal standpoint, nothing could ever make up for the 1-nil defeat at the hands of the United States, in T&T's final Concacaf World Cup qualifying fixture on the Road to Italy 1990.
"That pain and grief can never be eradicated. Every footballer's dream is to play in the World Cup. That was my dream.
"But I hope this achievement," he continued, "will result in respect for footballers. The Strike Squad players weren't given an invitation for the home game against Bahrain. I watched it from my bedroom. In 1989, we met the 1973 team on the field, and that was an honour for me to meet the likes of Warren Archibald. We have shown we can unite an entire nation. We should be respected."
Morris paid tribute to defender Dennis Lawrence, who headed home a Yorke corner for yesterday's only goal.
"Everybody would want to give Dennis a hug. I don't want to blow my own trumpet, but it was very pleasing to see him score, since I was instrumental in getting Dennis onto the national team. Also, Silvio Spann and Cyd Gray. And even Aurtis Whitley. When he was frustrated under Bertille St Clair, I picked up the phone and encouraged him. I told him this is bigger than the coach."
Alvin Corneal has described T&T's qualification for the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany as a"tremendous achievement".
"We've always been knocking on the door, but the planning this time was a bit better. We were more mature and able to approach qualification in a sensible manner."
Corneal, a former national cplayer and coach, was high in praise for current national senior team boss Leo Beenhakker.
"Credit to coach Beenhakker. He had tough decisions to make and he made them very well. For instance, not starting with (Russell) Latapy today. That was a courageous decision, but it was the right one. Latapy did not enjoy the home game, and Beenhakker realised that at 37, he can't cope with the speed of the Bahrain players. He used a younger, stronger player (Kenwyne Jones) to gain an advantage. And then, Beenhakker brought on Latapy for his experience, and he nearly scored. That was a master stroke. And the fans too did a tremendous amount."
Late in yesterday's game, T&T keeper Kelvin Jack attempted to kick the ball upfield, but was robbed by a Bahrain player, who slotted home. The goal, though, was disallowed. In an interview, after the match, Bahrain coach Luka Peruzovic expressed the view that the goal was legitimate. Corneal did not concur.
"I was very disappointed that an international coach would make such a comment. If the ball is in the keeper's hand, you cannot confront him. That's a rule. You cannot obstruct the keeper when he's getting rid of the ball, and Jack was obstructed."
Corneal, a T&T standout in his playing days, told the Express the country has a lot to gain from World Cup qualification.
"People will understand how effective sport is in society. This will help the economy and it will help young people see that dreams can be realised. "Coming close in 1973," Corneal continued," showed us the dream is possible. And the performances in '73 and '89 went a long way in gaining the respect of the world. But nothing comes before its time."
Yorke a happy man.
T&T Express Reports.
[/size]

John calls for Beenhakker's retention. 
"A journey and a half and I'm standing here talking and words cant explain how we feel as a team as a whole at this point in time. It is a fantastic feeling really."
Those were the words of a relieved Trinidad and Tobago captain Dwight Yorke following the "Warriors" 1-0 victory away to Bahrain which sealed an elusive World Cup spot for the national team yesterday.
Yorke, a member of the 1989 Strike Squad, spoke of his joy at fulfilling a 16-year dream.
"I have worked extremely hard in my football. I know what I wanted to achieve and it didn't come easy for me. Yes people might criticise my commitment to my country but I know far from it that I worked really hard as an individual and people are going to criticise me one way or the other but I'm proud to be where I come from, proud to be a Trinidad and Tobagonian and I'm proud to be here.
Yorke added: "My record speaks for itself, and if people are going still to criticise me they are entitled to their opinions..."
Stern John, T&T's main goalscorer in the campaign, added his bit, and urged the retention of coach Leo Beenhakker, whose contract ended yesterday, who he said was one of the main factors in T&T booking a World Cup berth.
"They should come up with the money to keep him. He told us that tonight his contract was finished, so hopefully the country could come up with the money to keep him..."
"...I think he really turned things around very well for us, and I think if it wasn't for him I think we wouldn't have qualified," John also remarked.
Warner: We'll make T&T proud in Germany.
By: Julien Neaves (Express).
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) has already begun its plans for World Cup 2006 in Germany and has acquired the assistance of football marketing professionals from Jamaica and the US, according to FIFA Vice President and T&TFF special adviser Jack Warner.
"We are far ahead in our planning than people would ever imagine," said Warner during a live interview with TV6 from Bahrain yesterday.
Warner said that the plans will be sanctioned by the TTFF but will be controlled by the Local Organising Committee (LOC) Germany 2006 Ltd. He said that a two storey office in Woodbrook has been secured for the Committee and Executive Director of the Caribbean Football Union Marketing Division, Horace Reid from Jamaica, has been hired to assist with planning and marketing.
The US Soccer Federation will also be assisting with the local marketing programme, he said.
Warner said that there will be three matches in the first three months of 2006 as part of the lead up to the World Cup. While not providing the details of these matches he said that the final match on March 26 will be "the biggest the country has ever seen".
He said that for 40 years he has "taken every abuse, every criticism, every vilification, every degradation" but has kept focused and wanted to thank all the people who kept the faith with him. He credited the qualification of the team to their syncretism and the commitment of the technical staff and expressed high hopes for the team's performance in Germany.
"We shall make FIFA proud, we shall make CONCACAF proud, but most importantly this nation," said Warner.
He predicted that the players and their supporters will "light up Germany like no other country ever has or ever will" by carrying its calypso, culture, flora, fauna, people and music to the European country.
Warner also commented on the violent behaviour by some of the Bahrain supporters who threw bottles and rocks at local supporters after the match. He described it as "most disgraceful" and expressed his belief that FIFA would address the situation "in due course".
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 05:07:53 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>