March 28, 2024, 09:17:05 AM

Author Topic: "They were too strong for us and we just could not play against them tonight."  (Read 1920 times)

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
De fella ( Bahrain's coach) finally admit that we are the better team.  Before, he had to show solidarity, but now he finally saying it.  Warriors were a juggernaut!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Eh send the link where you get that quote from nah. Thanks  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
Beenhakker, Yorke hail T&T progression

MANAMA, Nov 16 (Reuters) - Dutchman Leo Beenhakker and his Trinidad & Tobago captain Dwight Yorke said their victory over Bahrain on Wednesday and qualification for the 2006 World Cup finals was among the highlights of their careers.

After a stirring display in the National Stadium, the Caribbean country's coach and former Manchester United forward departed in different directions but celebrated in unison.

'I'm so proud of the players and for the people of the whole country,' said Beenhakker, the ex-Ajax Amsterdam, Feyenoord, Real Madrid and Netherlands coach who has transformed Trinidad from outsiders to World Cup qualifiers for the first time.

'We knew it would be a hard game and they worked so hard to achieve this success. I think we deserved to win. It was a hard game but we were on top in the first 30 minutes and though we then fell away a little, we still went on to do the job and win.

'When you've been in football like I have for 40 years, you have many highlights in your career, and this is definitely one of them.'

Yorke, whose corner was headed in by Wrexham central defender Dennis Lawrence after 49 minutes to secure a 1-0 win on the night and a 2-1 aggregate victory in the Asia-CONCACAF playoff, beamed with pride afterwards.

'It is history, it is unbelievable,' he said.

'We were very unlucky not to qualify in 1974, though I was only three-years-old then I've heard all about it, and again 16 years later we were unlucky in 1989 for the 1990 finals.

'Now another 16 years on and we have done it at last -- the third time lucky,' added Yorke.

'It's a real bit of history and it's a fantastic achievement for our small nation with such a small population. And it is great for me personally to have come back from retirement to play again and to be going to the World Cup now I am 34.

'To be honest, I don't know how to describe my feelings and I don't know what to say. I must phone my mother first because she is back in Tobago and she will be going crazy about this. After that, I will have to enjoy a party.'

Yorke was not sure if he would celebrate in the Caribbean with his family or fly back to his club Sydney FC in Australia.

He acknowledged there was the enticing prospect of a double reason to party in Australia since the country also qualified for the World Cup finals with a playoff triumph on Wednesday.

But while Trinidad's squad revelled in their achievement, Bahrain and disgruntled Croatian coach Luka Peruzovic bemoaned their bad fortune and the decisions of Colombian referee Oscar Julian Rujiz Acosta.

In particular, they were aggrieved at a goal disallowed in added time when Bahrain striker Hussain Ali Ahmed flicked the ball away from goalkeeper Kelvin Jack as he threw it up to kick clear.

The effort was disallowed, after Ahmed had stroked the ball into the net, for ungentlemanly conduct.

'I cannot remember ever seeing a goal like that being allowed in all my years in football,' said the Trinidad keeper.

But Bahrain's coach added: 'If he didn't touch the goalkeeper -- and I need to check on this when I see it again on television -- I think I will ask my federation to protest to FIFA'.

Peruzovic also complained that the referee gave too many free kicks against his team during a rugged, tight and dramatic encounter.

'I am not a bad loser, but there were a lot of fouls against us,' said the pony-tailed coach.

However, he also paid tribute to Trinidad's collective team effort. 'They were too strong for us and we just could not play against them tonight,' he said.

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This man going to FIFA again???? They probably fed up of he now

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
 He is a macomere man ;D....Go T&T

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
i doubt FIFA go do a replay again with a shitty team like Bahrain

GO Tnt GO

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
FIFA would have to be mad anyway to have a replay... well the coach still taking it better than i would have expected but his team is a group of serious sore losers

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
D man trying to hold he job...cyah really blame him, ah mean, what he go do now?

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
From what i know ... the entire action of kicking out the ball is seen as one motion. It comes like the keeper is holding the ball still. The Bahrain player could only legally touch after it touches the ground.

Technically that was an illegal move.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

1]; } ?>