April 24, 2024, 04:44:37 AM

Author Topic: Kidnapping in T&T Thread  (Read 39863 times)

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Kidnapping in T&T Thread
« on: April 07, 2005, 07:07:44 PM »
So I was just trying to get peoples attention with the topic but do you know that there r people that go around either finding, buying, or stealing cell phones only to return the phones to the owners for a price.

I recently lost my phone. After calling it many times so that a good samaritan would return my phone I came to the realization that it was in fact stolen. A week after I received a ransom call: " I have your phone but I paid $200.00 from some one for it. I want to return it but only if u give me back the $ 200.00."

WTF >:(  The phone was disconnected 2 days after the theft and this fool went and pay $200.00 for a phone with contact numbers and other info on it. First of all I do not think he bought the phone in the first place he could have been the one who stole it. Fortunately for me the battery was giving trouble and it is not even a recent model so who is the fool. I will b keeping my $200.00 and he could keep the old disconnected phone.   :D

I am not the first person that this has happened to a friend was told after she got on to someone who picked up her lost phone that if she wanted it back she neede to meet him at _______ and walk with money. Now tell me doesn't that sound like a ransom demand.

truetrini

· High-profile kidnapping provokes public reaction
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 09:46:22 PM »
· High-profile kidnapping provokes public reaction
· Foreign Office warning ahead of cricket world cup

Simon Rogers in Port of Spain
Saturday January 27, 2007
The Guardian

Businesses and schools across Trinidad were shut down yesterday in a protest against soaring crime rates and a spate of high-profile kidnappings that have propelled the twin-island republic up the international league table of crime hotspots.

The Foreign Office has issued a warning to tourists travelling to the island as it gears up for carnival - the biggest in the Caribbean - and the cricket world cup beginning in March.

In central and south Trinidad people stayed away from work, in some areas affecting 95% of the country's booming economy, according to local reports. While the capital, Port of Spain, was relatively unaffected, the shutdown's organiser, businessman Inshan Ishmael, was detained by police and held under anti-terror legislation before being released.

The shutdown was sparked by the kidnapping of Trinidad and Tobago's most high-profile businesswoman a month ago. Vindra Naipaul-Coolman, the multi-millionaire 51-year-old chief executive of supermarket chain Xtra Foods, was snatched from her driveway at her home in a middle-class suburb by two men on the evening of December 19.

The kidnap stunned the island and brought an unprecedented response. Supermarket workers marched, pleading for her release. Her family has paid TT$1,350,000 (£108,000), half the ransom demanded, and hired a Venezuelan psychic to find her. The police hunt, involving 300 officers, is the most extensive - and expensive - the force has ever operated.

Trinidad is a country with sudden wealth from record oil prices that fuel the island's growing GDP. It also saw around 245 kidnappings last year, an increase of more than 100% over five years. While the vast majority are "quickie kidnappings" where the victim is taken to a cashpoint, around 22 were followed by ransom demands.

At about 30 killings per 100,000 islanders the murder rate is 19 times that in England and Wales. But the chances of being caught are so low that the death penalty does not serve as a deterrent.

Lange Park, where Mrs Naipaul-Coolman lives, has seen seven kidnappings and five attempted kidnappings. An Indo-Trinidadian area, locals distrust the predominantly Afro-Trinidadian police force and hire their own security. Kamal Singh's wife was kidnapped last year . She was tied up and dumped, alive but shaken. "These people create fear in our hearts, they bully us," he said.

Politics have become more ethnically divided between the evenly split residents of African and Indian descent.

"People perceive the Indian population to be more wealthy. Most importantly, they are seen to be weak and soft targets who will not fight back," says Kumar Mahabir, an anthropologist at the University of Trinidad and Tobago who has analysed the kidnappings. He points out that 75% of those kidnapped are of Indian origin.

The republic was practically crime-free in the 1970s, however the trade in cocaine has led to it being used in the supply of drugs to the US. The security services have spent millions of dollars on hi-tech law enforcement - such as a giant, much-derided, surveillance airship - and have set up an anti-kidnapping squad bringing in overseas police officers, including some from Scotland Yard and the US.

Suruj Rambachan - the mayor of Chaguanas - is aware of the consequences for his area and Trinidad if Mrs Naipaul-Coolman is found dead. "Other CEOs are all under threat. If this can happen to a woman like Vindra, then it can happen to anyone."

TrinInfinite

Re: · High-profile kidnapping provokes public reaction
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 09:41:28 AM »
People perceive the Indian population to be more wealthy. Most importantly, they are seen to be weak and soft targets who will not fight back," says Kumar Mahabir, an anthropologist at the University of Trinidad and Tobago who has analysed the kidnappings. He points out that 75% of those kidnapped are of Indian origin.

this is the perception, no bad indian getting kidnapped, he should have gone into a more in dept study of what religion the indians were who were being kidnapped? Many hindus now in tt are living away from the rest of society and are extremely ethnocentric, so much so it turns to racism, same with afrocentricism, we need tuh break these chains which are inhibiting our society..

Offline Dr. Rat

• Licks Pass!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: · High-profile kidnapping provokes public reaction
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 09:57:24 AM »
I’m very surprised these fools eh start to kidnapping family members of local celebrities and sporting icons.
PNM in yuh mudda-in-law

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
US man declared dead arrested in kidnapping case
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 08:02:02 PM »
A US man who was declared legally dead 16 years ago, has been arrested in Mississippi for the kidnapping of a girl whose body was found in Louisiana.

An FBI spokeswoman said Thomas Steven Sanders had been held on Sunday at a truck stop in the Mississippi town of Gulfport, following a massive manhunt.

He’s suspected of involvement in the abduction of 12-year-old Lexis Roberts, who was found dead earlier this year.

Police are pressing him for information on the girl's missing mother.

According to court documents, Sanders abandoned his family in 1987 and was declared dead by a Mississippi court in 1994.

At the time he was declared dead, investigators say Sanders had worked as a labourer, a welder and a scrap metal collector and lived in the states of Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee, Georgia and Nevada.

Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Kidnapping in T&T Thread
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 05:11:49 AM »
Kidnappings high
By ANDRE BAGOO Wednesday, January 19 2011

WHILE figures for serious crimes have declined, reported kidnappings have remained high, according to figures disclosed by a concerned Minister of National Security John Sandy yesterday.

In answer to a question filed in the Senate by PNM Senator Fitzgerald Hinds, Sandy said reported kidnappings from June to December 8, 2010 numbered 50. A breakdown of this figure, presented in Parliament yesterday, noted that there were 11 reported kidnappings in June; eight in July; six in August; eight in September; eight in October and nine in November. There were no reported kidnappings up to December 8. The minister did not provide figures for prior to June.

“The statistical data reveals that with the exception of June 2010, there was an overall pattern of decrease in the number of serious crimes reported during the period June to November, 2010, when compared with the corresponding period in 2009,” Sandy said. “In total, there was a fourteen percent decrease in reported serious crimes during the 2010 period under review.”

However, Sandy said he remains dissatisfied with the current levels of crime. He noted that serious crimes for the period totalled 9,757. “Notwithstanding the encouraging movement, the Police and the People’s Partnership Government continue to view the existing level of crime as unacceptable,” Sandy said. The Minister of National Security said between June 2010 and December 8, 2010, there were 232 reported murders; 294 “woundings and shootings”; 396 sexual offences; 2,440 burglaries and break-ins; 2,569 robberies; 96 fraud offences; 2,032 “general” larcenies; 656 car thefts; and 251 narcotic offences, among others.

Asked in a supplemental question by Hinds if he was shocked by the crime statistics, Sandy said, “I am as shocked as you are and I remain as shocked as I was over the past five years.” Sandy said the police will introduce increased cordon and search operations in “crime-prone” areas; usher in increased working hours “for stipulated periods” and forge “new partnerships” with private security companies.

In relation to the Special Anti-Crime Unit of Trinidad and Tobago (SAUTT), which was the subject of another question by Hinds, Sandy said a Cabinet review of a report on the future of SAUTT was still ongoing. Of the “airship” or “blimp”, Sandy said, “while the airship has been grounded for repairs, SAUTT’s other aerial assets have been utilised in providing aerial and logistical support to the National Security Council and operational support to the Police Service.”
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
Chinese Mafia in T & T (Slain China Palace owner 'behind kidnapping)
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 04:29:06 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Slain_China_Palace_owner__behind_kidnapping_-120753744.html

Slain China Palace owner 'behind kidnapping'
Cops: Ransom for new restaurant

By Akile Simon

MURDERED businessman Anthony Chen was identified by police as the mastermind behind the kidnapping of Chinese businesswoman Xue Hua Shan.

Up to late yesterday, there was no word on the whereabouts of the kidnapped woman.

Investigators probing Shan's abduction intended to arrest Chen and question him in connection with the incident after they received vital information linking Chen as the person behind the kidnapping.

Police had arrested four Chinese women in connection with Shan's abduction.

Up to late yesterday, the suspects remained in police custody at the Belmont Police Station.

Officers said since the women were detained, Chen visited them every day and supplied them with food and clothing.

Police sources said the women passed on information to them which linked Chen to Shan's abduction.

Chen reportedly arranged for Shan' kidnapping to raise money to assist him in opening a restaurant at One Woodbrook Place, Woodbrook.

Chen, 61, of Hillsborough, Maraval, was gunned down by two men in front his China Palace, Ellerslie Plaza, Maraval, restaurant on Sunday morning.

Police sources said the hitmen were reportedly paid $50,000 to do the job.

Two men driving a Nissan Almera car, which was captured by surveillance cameras fleeing the scene of the shooting, were held in St James with the vehicle on Monday night, The men were questioned by police and released pending further investigations.

Chen's relatives yesterday declined to speak with the media while leaving the Forensic Sciences Centre, St James, after an autopsy was performed on his body.

Shan, 31, was kidnapped a few metres from her Seventh Street, Barataria, home.

She owns and operates the Happy Garden Restaurant in St Helena.

Chen, police said, was fingered as the mastermind in Shan's abduction.

Officers of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit are continuing investigations.
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

truetrini

Re: Chinese Mafia in T & T (Slain China Palace owner 'behind kidnapping)
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 10:01:53 AM »
So Sandy police allowed the men in the
Two men driving a Nissan Almera car, which was captured by surveillance cameras fleeing the scene of the shooting, were held in St James with the vehicle on Monday night, The men were questioned by police and released pending further investigations.
go???

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 11:35:58 AM »
Jeez, the maloney gangsters was bad enuff, now id chinee gyangsterism T&T have to deal wit?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 11:45:49 AM »
Jeez, the maloney gangsters was bad enuff, now id chinee gyangsterism T&T have to deal wit?

d tong might be in tong :-\ ??? :'(
I pity the fool....

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 03:02:09 PM »
Was just a matter of time to be honest. Many of those chinese resturants in my view are very likely candidates for money laundering and all the activities that go with it. They popping up everywhere...some even opposite or 1 building down from another.

The one closest to me just do a set of renovations in quick time....Plus he buy the lot behind him and build some apartments.

Wonder if is a coincidence that he have a sign up "Closed for 2 days." today....

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 09:01:47 PM »
go???

Dias what I'm saying....they let them go??? Dem fellas go flee de scene if it was dem in trute, REDjet to Guyana.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 10:04:36 PM »
go???

Dias what I'm saying....they let them go??? Dem fellas go flee de scene if it was dem in trute, REDjet to Guyana.

Ah feel they setting up ah scene  :-\
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 03:13:05 AM »
Cops step up search for abducted woman
By Akile Simon

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=53544.0;num_replies=6

A high-profile meeting was called yesterday at the Old Police Headquarters, Port of Spain, to discuss the way forward in solving the murder of restaurant owner Anthony Chen and the kidnapping of another restaurateur, Xue Hua Shan.

The meeting was called by ACP Harold Phillip, who is in charge of anti-crime operations.

Phillip, sources said, instructed officers to work together and share information since they all have the common goal of locating Shan and solving Chen's killing.

Snr Supts John Martinez, head of the Criminal Intelligence Unit (CIU); Wayne Boyd, head of the Anti-Kidnapping Unit (AKU); and Wayne Dick, head of the Homicide Bureau of Investigations, were also at the meeting, which included detectives from the three units who have been directly involved in both cases.

Yesterday, AKU officers and officers from the Central Division and the Special Anti-Crime Unit of Trinidad and Tobago (SAUTT) conducted several searches at abandoned canefields in Caroni and several areas in St Helena, looking for the kidnapped woman.

Chen, 61, of Hillsborough, Maraval, who has been linked by police to Shan's abduction, was gunned down by two men in front his China Palace, Ellerslie Plaza, Maraval, restaurant on Sunday.

Chen was not relieved of his licensed pistol, police said.

Police sources said they received information that the hitmen who were hired were reportedly paid $50,000 to do the job.

Two men driving a Nissan Almera car, which was captured by surveillance cameras fleeing the scene of the shooting, were held in St James with the vehicle on Monday night.

The men were questioned by police and released, pending further investigations.

Investigators probing Shan's abduction were building a case against Chen when he was gunned down.

Officers said they intended to arrest Chen and question him in connection with the abduction after they received vital information linking him as the mastermind behind the kidnapping.

Police said members of the Chinese community, who they believe have information on both incidents, have refused to cooperate.

Last Friday, AKU officers arrested four women in connection with Shan's abduction. The women, who were interviewed by police and passed on vital information which linked Chen to the crime, remained in custody at the Belmont Police Station, in the care of Immigration officials.

Chen paid regular visits to the women, supplying them with food and clothing, police said.

Chen reportedly arranged for Shan's kidnapping to raise money to assist him in opening a large restaurant at One Woodbrook Place, Woodbrook, investigators said.

Shan, 31, was kidnapped a few metres from her Seventh Street, Barataria, home after heaving the Happy Garden Restaurant in St Helena, which she owns and operate.

Days later, relatives received a text message from her cellphone, demanding a ransom of $4 million. The location the message was sent from was later identified by police as the Queen's Park Savannah in Port of Spain. That was the last time the woman's abductors have contacted her relatives.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 06:22:40 AM »
OK....ah not wise in the ways of criminals but something confusing me here. If ah follow de story....

Shan get kidnapped,

Chen is mastermind behind kidnapping,

Police building a case against Chen,

Chen is gunned down,

Chen would have benefited from Shan's abduction,

But who benefiting from gunning down Chen??

That eh bringing back Shan, so who wanted Chen dead??........ :thinking: ??? :-\
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 06:51:03 AM »
OK....ah not wise in the ways of criminals but something confusing me here. If ah follow de story....

Shan get kidnapped,

Chen is gunned down,

That eh bringing back Shan, so who wanted Chen dead??........ :thinking: ??? :-\

Maybe the hit on Chen was ordered by Shan's family as retaliation for the kidnapping.  Perhaps they (Shan's family)  got information that Shan is no longer alive and decided to deal with Mr. Chen on their own.
That's my take on it, but maybe I watch too much tv  ;)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 08:11:20 AM »

Shan get kidnapped,

Chen is gunned down,

Maybe the hit on Chen was ordered by Shan's family as retaliation for the kidnapping.  Perhaps they (Shan's family)  got information that Shan is no longer alive and decided to deal with Mr. Chen on their own.
That's my take on it, but maybe I watch too much tv  ;)

Maybe somebody who is involved in the kidnapping got wind of the investigation and didn't want Mr. Chen selling them out so they off him first.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 09:57:19 AM »

Shan get kidnapped,

Chen is gunned down,

daiz how de pink panther does break down he case.lol.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 07:47:39 AM »
Cops link Chinese to organised crime
http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/05/16/cops-link-chinese-organised-crime

Police say the murder of Maraval businessman Anthony Chen and the kidnapping of restaurant owner Xue Hua Shan, who is still missing, are linked, but the cases may never be solved. Suspects were extensively questioned and released, but investigators have been unable to make any breakthroughs leading to arrests. Shan, 31, was kidnapped a month ago, a few metres from her home at Seventh Street, Barataria. She is the owner of Happy Garden Restaurant located on Main Road, St Helena.

A worker at Japs Fried Chicken, which is located next to the restaurant, said almost immediately after Shan was abducted, her business place was closed. The worker said all the Chinese workers at the restaurant had not been seen since. Investigators said they believed the woman was dead and the prospects of finding her body were slim. But Chen’s murder and Shan’s kidnapping paint a broader and disturbing picture of organised crime orchestrated by what may appear to be the rapidly increasing and far-reaching tentacles of Asian criminal gangs in T&T, police sources said.

Front for racketeering

According to local law enforcement officials, many businesses, mainly restaurants and private members clubs, are fronts for “crime dens.” They say some restaurants which appear to be ordinary food establishments may be involved in other activities, hidden behind their kitchens and rows of dining tables. Several members’ clubs, according to officers from a Port-of-Spain based intelligence unit, are fronts for a host of illegal activities, including high-end prostitution, gambling and even motor car larceny. Officers referred to an eating establishment in Port-of-Spain where the owner was fingered as the head of a car stealing ring in west Trinidad.

Police said young local men are being hired to steal the cars and vehicles parked in front of or close to certain business places are monitored as potential targets. They said it was very unlikely that a Chinese person would be a suspect in criminal activities, especially car theft, since they did not fall into the police’s normal criminal profiling. “It is highly unlikely that police would suspect a Chinese man would be driving around with a stolen car, but that is the information coming to us,” police said. “Everybody believes the Chinese have money and are doing their things legitimately, but that is not always the case,” an officer said. He said some three weeks ago, a Chinese national, owner of a restaurant in St James, was detained for possession of a stolen laptop computer. The device was taken out of the trunk of a stolen car. Because the suspect “knew people,” he was released just as charges were about to be laid.

Language barrier problem

One of the reasons why there are few arrests of Chinese nationals suspected to be involved in crime is the language barrier. Officers from the Criminal Investigations Unit (CIU) say often when a Chinese national is detained, it is difficult to gather information. An officer said a request first had to be made to the Chinese Embassy for an interpreter, which could result in a 24-hour delay.

In addition, he said, the very culture of the Chinese is to “keep things to themselves.” Officers believe that is why Chen’s murder and Shan’s kidnapping may never be solved. “The Chinese community knows without a doubt what triggered these two crimes but no one is talking, not even the businessman’s family,” the police officer said. “They are not assisting us so how can we help them? They are keeping everything close to their chest. We, as law enforcement officers, could only do so much.” According to reports, Chen was a “heavy gambler” and who owed his associates large debts. He frequented a gambling den located a stone’s throw away from Wrightson Road in Port-of-Spain.

The Victorian-style house is outfitted with three electronic iron gates. Inside, one of the bedrooms has been converted to a gambling room with tables for poker and rummy. The room is equipped with a buzzer and has an exit leading to a kitchen at the back. The owner of the property collects a “tax” off winning bets to keep the establishment running. “The tax is also used for providing drinks and refreshment for guests who come to gamble,” a police source said. “Chen used to frequent the house and would place huge sums on bets, from $10,000 and up…That’s the kind of money these fellas have.” Police said they had information that a high-ranking official of the Immigration Department frequented the house.

Subhas: I’ve heard about Chinese mafia

Minister in the Ministry of National Security Subhas Panday said he had been “hearing about” a Chinese mafia operating in T&T. “Yes, I have heard about the Chinese mafia and the issue is of concern,” he said. “But to say there is tangible evidence—that’s where the problem lies but we will not sit idly by and allow any sort of criminal activities to run the country. “We will do everything in our power to stamp it out.”

High-level information can’t be revealed—Ewatski

Asked whether there a Chinese mafia operating in T&T, Deputy Police Commissioner in charge of Operations Jack Ewatski said he would not make any “broad statements” about criminal activities. He said it is also imperative that the Police Service not reveal “high-level information” to the general public. “We are out there doing the best that we can,” Ewatski said, adding that any type of crime would generated concern.

He assured that his officers were doing all in their power to solve Chen’s murder and Shan’s kidnapping. “We are concerned about any type of crime that is committed by anybody and we will deal with it at all levels,” he said. “Our intelligence officers are working very hard and we are looking at all angles and motives for Chen’s murder and to solve this as quickly as possible.” He said he would not comment on speculation regarding who and why some one wanted the businessman murdered but appealed to people who could assist the police with information to come forward. Crime stoppers has offered a reward of $100,000 for information leading to Shan’s safe release.

Data on Chinese nationals charged between 2010 and 2011

Crime    People charged

Malicious damage    1

Attempted murder    1

Kidnapping    1

Robbery    1

Narcotic Possession    1

Receiving stolen goods    1

Larceny dwelling house    1

Narcotic offence    1

Apparatus possession    1

Source: Crime and Problem Analysis Branch of the T&T Police Service

Ambassador responds

Chinese Ambassador to T&T Yang Youming, responding to questions from the T&T Guardian about the reports, said the Embassy had no knowledge that nationals of his country were involved in criminal activity in this country. The ambassador made it clear that his response to the reports was that of the embassy and not his. “The embassy has no knowledge of anything you mentioned…This is a matter for the police and immigration,” he said.  “We have not had any reports on the issue from the police or the Ministry of National Security through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as this is the standard practice. “The Embassy wishes to reiterate that the Chinese government is against illegal immigration, and is working together with other countries in the international co-operation of dealing with the issue.”

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 08:05:13 AM »
Trini Triads

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2011, 08:37:56 AM »
ah sniffin ah rush hour 4,inside de trini triad.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2011, 03:14:53 AM »
Chinese Triad expands in T&T

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/05/17/chinese-triad-expands-tt

For the past decade, intelligence units have been gathering information on the expansion of the Chinese Triad, a highly organised criminal unit which has spread its tentacles throughout the Caribbean.Sources say the Caribbean’s Implementation Agency for Crime and Security (IMPACS) has been working with local security intelligence agencies, tracking the activities of Chinese criminal cartels in the region since 2006. In T&T, previous Governments were cautioned about a possible upsurge in criminal activity driven by Asian gangs which have been infiltrating the region.

However, no connection was made between that development and the recent huge influx of Chinese labourers into the country to work on large scale construction projects, including construction of the Prime Minister’s official residence and the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA).  Under the current administration, ties with the Chinese Government are still strong. China continues to invest millions of dollars in aid and soft loans to T&T and other Caribbean Governments (see side bar).

Chinese Ambassador to T&T Yang Youming has distanced himself from reports of Asian criminal gangs operating in this country, saying he had no knowledge of those developments. He expressed concern that such reports were hurting the image of the Chinese in T&T. However, a senior intelligence source said moves by a previous Government to encourage Chinese immigration facilitated further expansion of the Chinese Triad, which disguises its illicit activities under a cover of global commercialism.

While the Triad grows, hundreds of Chinese restaurants, supermarkets, hotels, casinoes and private members clubs have sprung up throughout the country. Last month, Independent Senator Rolph Balgobin, in his contribution to debate on the Financial Intelligence (Amendment) Bill 2011, called for a police probe of several questionable new businesses in T&T. Balgobin said terrorist and criminal networks were “living high”, while genuine businesses are facing strangulation because of the global economic crisis. “Clearly many of these (new) businesses have no clear source of funding and even more importantly, they do not have a sustainable business model,” Balgobin said.

He said many of the businessmen “can’t speak the language, they haven’t even mastered the basics of the societies that they are operating in and you have a million-dollar business.” The Triad is governed by a strict code of ethics which ensures that most of their activities remain secret.  Members are part of a hierarchy and stringent discipline is enforced by the leaders. Coming out of the Triad is an entity known as the Snakehead Gang which is made up of the younger generation of Triad members, and who reportedly handle human trafficking. It is not known if there are Snakehead Gangs in T&T.

Composition of the Chinese Triad

Based on information from the United States County Sheriff’s Department in Los Angeles, there are four major Chinese Triads operating in the western hemisphere. These are Sung Lian, Tian Dao Man, Four Seas and the United Bamboo, which have proliferated throughout the western world into a highly organised global network. Sung Lian has several hundred members, mostly second-and third-generation mainland immigrants who are involved in a range of activities, including debt collection, brothels and small businesses. The Tian Dao Man has several hundred members who are mostly native Taiwanese. They are involved in debt collection, massage parlours, brothels, small businesses.  Intelligence sources say that the Tian Dao Man had a presence in Grenada. However, speculation is rife that the United Bamboo cartel as well as the Four Seas gang have set up operations in this country.

The Four Seas gang has more than 2,000 members in the United States alone. Most of them are second-and third-generation immigrants who are primarily involved in construction, security services, debt collection, massage parlours, brothels and small businesses.

The United Bamboo cartel is by far the largest with more than 10,000 members in the US. Its base comprises of second-and third-generation immigrants who like the Four Seas are involved in construction, security services, debt collection, loan sharking, gambling dens, private members’ clubs, restaurants and small businesses. It is believed that most of the Chinese underworld are linked to the United Bamboo and are guided by a specific code of ethics which maintains their quiet expansion and organisational success.

According to the code translated from a document titled “Portrait of a Triad”, members must maintain harmony with locals as their first priority. The clause indicates that all members must “establish good social and personal connections so as not to create enemies.”  The leaders also seek special favours and help from uncommitted gang members by emphasising relationships with outside people. Gambling is the cartel’s main financial source but members are mandated to be careful about how gambling affairs are handled. The code also states: “Do not take it upon yourself to start things and make decisions you are not authorised to make. You are to discuss and plan all matters with the group and the elder brother first.” All members are given assigned responsibility and they are urged not to create confusion.

Another clause of the code reads: “We must not divulge our plans and affairs to outsiders, for example to our wives, girlfriends, etc. “This is for our own safety. We have to be united with all our brothers and obey our elder brother’s orders. All money earned outside the group must be turned over to the group. You must not keep any of it for yourself. Let the elder brother decide.” When targeting wealthy prospects, members of the Triad are mandated that they must not act hastily.

“Furthermore, do not harass or threaten them. Act to prevent suspicion and fear upon their part. If anything unexpected happens, do not abandon your brothers. If arrested, shoulder all responsibility and blame. Do not involve your brothers,” the code states. This code of ethics has ensured that all matters related to the Chinese community are kept secret. Police said although there have been incidents of assault and theft, these are almost never reported to local authorities.

‘We are not all bad’

Meanwhile, members of the local Chinese community said the expansion of the Triad has caused discrimination against Chinese immigrants, many of whom are making a positive contribution to the development of T&T. A Chinese restaurateur of San Fernando, who has lived in Trinidad for the past eight years, said the kidnapping and possible death of 31-year-old Xue Hua Shan, as well as the murder of businessman Andrew Chin, has shaken up the community. Shan was abducted just before 11 pm on April 13, from her Seventh Street, Barataria, home. Chin, 61, of Hillsborough, Maraval, was murdered on April 17, just outside his restaurant in Ellerslie Plaza, Maraval. Information circulating within the Chinese community suggest that a Hong Kong businessman, who came to investigate Shan’s disappearance, may have been linked to her alleged killing.

“We hearing Shan was girlfriend to this Hong Kong businessman and his family find out and they kill she,” the restaurateur said with a thick accent. She explained that Chin was not “clean” and had been involved in money laundering. Another San Fernando business owner, who came to  Trinidad during the 1970s, said the proliferation of the Chinese Triad was hurting the reputation of the Chinese. “If this no stop, Chinee no live Trinidad,” she said wiggling her finger. She said with recent media reports, immigration officers and police have been keeping a closer eye on Chinese businesspeople, a move which she strongly recommended. “It have good Chinee and bad Chinee. They have to send back bad Chinee,” she said.

Investments by China in the Caribbean

But despite the proliferation of the Chinese Triad in the region, the Chinese Government as well as Chinese corporations have been contributing positively to the development of Caribbean islands. At a time when many Caribbean Governments are struggling with the economic downturn, Chinese corporations have been creating new markets for their products, spending billions in major tourism projects, financing roads, ports and creating amalgamations with companies. The following is a list of major projects funded by the Chinese Government in the Caribbean.

Chinese Government makes a commitment in 2011 to build a $600 million deep sea harbour, highway and port in Suriname to improve linkages with Brazil.

China invests $462 million in a stalled beach front resort Punta Perla on Dominican Republic’s east Coast.

Hong Kong based conglomerate, Hutchison Whampoa Limited, commits to $1 billion container port in Bahamas.

Chinese Government spends $17 million on cricket stadium and $122 million in economic assistance to Dominica.

Chinese mining company Bosai Minerals Group gains majority stake from Guyanese Government, after making a $100 million purchase in Omai Bauxite Mining.

China’s Shanghai Construction builds official Prime Minister’s residence and National Academy of Performing Arts in Trinidad.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2011, 06:43:22 AM »
Chinese Triad expands in T&T

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/05/17/chinese-triad-expands-tt

For the past decade, intelligence units have been gathering information on the expansion of the Chinese Triad, a highly organised criminal unit which has spread its tentacles throughout the Caribbean.Sources say the Caribbean’s Implementation Agency for Crime and Security (IMPACS) has been working with local security intelligence agencies, tracking the activities of Chinese criminal cartels in the region since 2006. In T&T, previous Governments were cautioned about a possible upsurge in criminal activity driven by Asian gangs which have been infiltrating the region.

However, no connection was made between that development and the recent huge influx of Chinese labourers into the country to work on large scale construction projects, including construction of the Prime Minister’s official residence and the National Academy for the Performing Arts (NAPA).  Under the current administration, ties with the Chinese Government are still strong. China continues to invest millions of dollars in aid and soft loans to T&T and other Caribbean Governments (see side bar).

Chinese Ambassador to T&T Yang Youming has distanced himself from reports of Asian criminal gangs operating in this country, saying he had no knowledge of those developments. He expressed concern that such reports were hurting the image of the Chinese in T&T. However, a senior intelligence source said moves by a previous Government to encourage Chinese immigration facilitated further expansion of the Chinese Triad, which disguises its illicit activities under a cover of global commercialism.

While the Triad grows, hundreds of Chinese restaurants, supermarkets, hotels, casinoes and private members clubs have sprung up throughout the country. Last month, Independent Senator Rolph Balgobin, in his contribution to debate on the Financial Intelligence (Amendment) Bill 2011, called for a police probe of several questionable new businesses in T&T. Balgobin said terrorist and criminal networks were “living high”, while genuine businesses are facing strangulation because of the global economic crisis. “Clearly many of these (new) businesses have no clear source of funding and even more importantly, they do not have a sustainable business model,” Balgobin said.

He said many of the businessmen “can’t speak the language, they haven’t even mastered the basics of the societies that they are operating in and you have a million-dollar business.” The Triad is governed by a strict code of ethics which ensures that most of their activities remain secret.  Members are part of a hierarchy and stringent discipline is enforced by the leaders. Coming out of the Triad is an entity known as the Snakehead Gang which is made up of the younger generation of Triad members, and who reportedly handle human trafficking. It is not known if there are Snakehead Gangs in T&T.

Composition of the Chinese Triad

Based on information from the United States County Sheriff’s Department in Los Angeles, there are four major Chinese Triads operating in the western hemisphere. These are Sung Lian, Tian Dao Man, Four Seas and the United Bamboo, which have proliferated throughout the western world into a highly organised global network. Sung Lian has several hundred members, mostly second-and third-generation mainland immigrants who are involved in a range of activities, including debt collection, brothels and small businesses. The Tian Dao Man has several hundred members who are mostly native Taiwanese. They are involved in debt collection, massage parlours, brothels, small businesses.  Intelligence sources say that the Tian Dao Man had a presence in Grenada. However, speculation is rife that the United Bamboo cartel as well as the Four Seas gang have set up operations in this country.

The Four Seas gang has more than 2,000 members in the United States alone. Most of them are second-and third-generation immigrants who are primarily involved in construction, security services, debt collection, massage parlours, brothels and small businesses.

The United Bamboo cartel is by far the largest with more than 10,000 members in the US. Its base comprises of second-and third-generation immigrants who like the Four Seas are involved in construction, security services, debt collection, loan sharking, gambling dens, private members’ clubs, restaurants and small businesses. It is believed that most of the Chinese underworld are linked to the United Bamboo and are guided by a specific code of ethics which maintains their quiet expansion and organisational success.

According to the code translated from a document titled “Portrait of a Triad”, members must maintain harmony with locals as their first priority. The clause indicates that all members must “establish good social and personal connections so as not to create enemies.”  The leaders also seek special favours and help from uncommitted gang members by emphasising relationships with outside people. Gambling is the cartel’s main financial source but members are mandated to be careful about how gambling affairs are handled. The code also states: “Do not take it upon yourself to start things and make decisions you are not authorised to make. You are to discuss and plan all matters with the group and the elder brother first.” All members are given assigned responsibility and they are urged not to create confusion.

Another clause of the code reads: “We must not divulge our plans and affairs to outsiders, for example to our wives, girlfriends, etc. “This is for our own safety. We have to be united with all our brothers and obey our elder brother’s orders. All money earned outside the group must be turned over to the group. You must not keep any of it for yourself. Let the elder brother decide.” When targeting wealthy prospects, members of the Triad are mandated that they must not act hastily.

“Furthermore, do not harass or threaten them. Act to prevent suspicion and fear upon their part. If anything unexpected happens, do not abandon your brothers. If arrested, shoulder all responsibility and blame. Do not involve your brothers,” the code states. This code of ethics has ensured that all matters related to the Chinese community are kept secret. Police said although there have been incidents of assault and theft, these are almost never reported to local authorities.

‘We are not all bad’

Meanwhile, members of the local Chinese community said the expansion of the Triad has caused discrimination against Chinese immigrants, many of whom are making a positive contribution to the development of T&T. A Chinese restaurateur of San Fernando, who has lived in Trinidad for the past eight years, said the kidnapping and possible death of 31-year-old Xue Hua Shan, as well as the murder of businessman Andrew Chin, has shaken up the community. Shan was abducted just before 11 pm on April 13, from her Seventh Street, Barataria, home. Chin, 61, of Hillsborough, Maraval, was murdered on April 17, just outside his restaurant in Ellerslie Plaza, Maraval. Information circulating within the Chinese community suggest that a Hong Kong businessman, who came to investigate Shan’s disappearance, may have been linked to her alleged killing.

“We hearing Shan was girlfriend to this Hong Kong businessman and his family find out and they kill she,” the restaurateur said with a thick accent. She explained that Chin was not “clean” and had been involved in money laundering. Another San Fernando business owner, who came to  Trinidad during the 1970s, said the proliferation of the Chinese Triad was hurting the reputation of the Chinese. “If this no stop, Chinee no live Trinidad,” she said wiggling her finger. She said with recent media reports, immigration officers and police have been keeping a closer eye on Chinese businesspeople, a move which she strongly recommended. “It have good Chinee and bad Chinee. They have to send back bad Chinee,” she said.

Investments by China in the Caribbean

But despite the proliferation of the Chinese Triad in the region, the Chinese Government as well as Chinese corporations have been contributing positively to the development of Caribbean islands. At a time when many Caribbean Governments are struggling with the economic downturn, Chinese corporations have been creating new markets for their products, spending billions in major tourism projects, financing roads, ports and creating amalgamations with companies. The following is a list of major projects funded by the Chinese Government in the Caribbean.

Chinese Government makes a commitment in 2011 to build a $600 million deep sea harbour, highway and port in Suriname to improve linkages with Brazil.

China invests $462 million in a stalled beach front resort Punta Perla on Dominican Republic’s east Coast.

Hong Kong based conglomerate, Hutchison Whampoa Limited, commits to $1 billion container port in Bahamas.

Chinese Government spends $17 million on cricket stadium and $122 million in economic assistance to Dominica.

Chinese mining company Bosai Minerals Group gains majority stake from Guyanese Government, after making a $100 million purchase in Omai Bauxite Mining.

China’s Shanghai Construction builds official Prime Minister’s residence and National Academy of Performing Arts in Trinidad.

Under all the talk....that code of ethics part of a serious business model though :thinking:
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2011, 10:51:36 AM »
Trini too damn lazy. Dais why business owner hiring foreigner.

I eh go lie if I say a good day on de work is one where i eh do nothing but watch football online and lime on socawarriors.net.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2011, 06:44:13 PM »
Ok ,interesting fight fire with fire if our youth feel they bad .Bring in a real mafia to show them what bad really is .easy enough to find them after.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
..Escaping captors after 10 years, Amanda Berry ‘real hero’ in kidnapping case, police say
..By Jeff Stacklin | The Lookout –

Three women missing for about a decade are free today, and police are crediting the bravery of one of them—Amanda Berry, now 27—for escaping the captors and seeking help.

“The real hero here is Amanda,” assistant Cleveland police chief Ed Tomba told reporters at a news conference Wednesday morning. “She got this rolling.”

Shortly before 6 p.m. ET Monday, Berry was able to break out of the home in Cleveland's west side neighborhood where she apparently had been held for the past 10 years. She was reported missing on April 21, 2003, Tomba said.

After she called 911, police responded to the home at 5:52 p.m. Two other women, Gina DeJesus, who had been missing since 2004, when she was 14, and Michelle Knight, who had been missing since 2002 when she was 20, were found inside.

When Berry escaped the house, she brought with her a 6-year-old daughter. Police would not say who the father of the child was, but confirmed that the girl is Berry’s daughter.

Police have arrested three brothers in connection to the case: Ariel Castro, 52, the owner of the home, and brothers Pedro, 54, and Onil, 50. They have not been charged. Tomba said the men were taken into custody about 6:30 p.m. and will be charged within 36 hours.

The stories of Berry and DeJesus have captivated the city of Cleveland for a decade. They have been the subject of numerous vigils and city searches. Police have followed leads over the years, including digging up two backyards seeking their remains. On Monday, crowds gathered in the neighborhood where they were found and at the hospital where they were taken later.

“Our prayers have finally been answered—this nightmare is over,” said Stephen Anthony, special agent in charge of the Cleveland office of the FBI.

While much has been written about Berry and DeJesus, and the efforts to find them, not much has been written about Michelle Knight. "She has been the focus of very few tips," Tomba said. Knight was last seen on Aug. 22, 2002. She was 20 years old at the time, and went missing from the same neighborhood as Berry and DeJesus.

Police said all three women appeared healthy, other than needing a good meal. They were taken to a Cleveland hospital, where they were reunited with their families.

Police said that officers were called to the home of the alleged captor, Ariel Castro, twice, but nothing came of the calls.

In March 2000, Castro reported a fight in the street, and in January 2004, officials from Children and Family Services went to the home to investigate an incident related to his employment as a bus driver. Castro, then a bus driver for the Cleveland schools, had gone to lunch after running his route, despite having one more child still on the bus.

Police say they investigated that incident, but felt there was no criminal wrong-doing and the matter was dropped.

“He was interviewed extensively due to that investigation,”Tomba said.

Mayor Frank Jackson said housing and building records also have been reviewed and no reports of violations were found.

Police declined to provide specific details about the home where the women were kept or its condition upon their arrival on Monday. They said the home is an active crime scene and detectives were processing it through the night.

Asked if they believe the kidnappings were part of a larger operation, police officials said they were looking into every possible angle. It appears that Berry, DeJesus and Knight were the only victims. Officials declined to say if they were sexually abused.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/escaped-cleveland-woman-amanda-berry-real-hero-kidnapping-141444873.html

http://news.yahoo.com/frantic-911-call-leads-3-missing-women-ohio-084650558.html

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:05:14 AM by Sando »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The real hero is Charles Ramsey.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wow the media done start to ex out the black man who went to her aid from the narrative. I hope is not because he was somewhat disheveled with unkempt hair. In the live press conference the chief of police did not mention him at all. Hopefully this brother's act of human decency will not go unrewarded.

The fella is real kicks though  ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gcLSI3oyqhs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gcLSI3oyqhs</a>
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The real hero is Charles Ramsey.

But here they have a brave white girl hero just like Jessica Lynch... the media love that sh!t
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

1]; } ?>