April 28, 2024, 05:51:46 AM

Author Topic: Celebration in POS ah add some pictures...  (Read 8586 times)

Offline supaselectuh

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration in POS ah add some pictures...
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2005, 03:04:11 PM »

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2005, 03:14:43 PM »
Meh pores raise with all ah reading and seeing.
Bless up!!!

Everything cool.
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline supaselectuh

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2005, 03:15:58 PM »
96.7 now say that soca from now till Sunday......

Everyone celebrating

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2005, 04:24:53 PM »

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2005, 04:25:26 PM »
After a stirring display in the National Stadium, the Caribbean country's coach and former Manchester United forward departed in different directions but celebrated in unison.

"I'm so proud of the players and for the people of the whole country," said Beenhakker, the ex-Ajax Amsterdam, Feyenoord, Real Madrid and Netherlands coach who has transformed Trinidad from outsiders to World Cup qualifiers for the first time.

"We knew it would be a hard game and they worked so hard to achieve this success. I think we deserved to win. It was a hard game but we were on top in the first 30 minutes and though we then fell away a little, we still went on to do the job and win.

"When you've been in football like I have for 40 years, you have many highlights in your career, and this is definitely one of them."

Yorke, whose corner was headed in by Wrexham central defender Dennis Lawrence after 49 minutes to secure a 1-0 win on the night and a 2-1 aggregate victory in the Asia-CONCACAF playoff, beamed with pride afterwards.

"It is history, it is unbelievable," he said.

"We were very unlucky not to qualify in 1974, though I was only three-years-old then I've heard all about it, and again 16 years later we were unlucky in 1989 for the 1990 finals.

"Now another 16 years on and we have done it at last - the third time lucky," added Yorke.

"It's a real bit of history and it's a fantastic achievement for our small nation with such a small population. And it is great for me personally to have come back from retirement to play again and to be going to the World Cup now I am 34.

GOING CRAZY

"To be honest, I don't know how to describe my feelings and I don't know what to say. I must phone my mother first because she is back in Tobago and she will be going crazy about this. After that, I will have to enjoy a party."

Yorke was not sure if he would celebrate in the Caribbean with his family or fly back to his club Sydney FC in Australia.

He acknowledged there was the enticing prospect of a double reason to party in Australia since the country also qualified for the World Cup finals with a playoff triumph on Wednesday.

But while Trinidad's squad revelled in their achievement, Bahrain and disgruntled Croatian coach Luka Peruzovic bemoaned their bad fortune and the decisions of Colombian referee Oscar Julian Rujiz Acosta.

In particular, they were aggrieved at a goal disallowed in added time when Bahrain striker Hussain Ali Ahmed flicked the ball away from goalkeeper Kelvin Jack as he threw it up to kick clear.

The effort was disallowed, after Ahmed had stroked the ball into the net, for ungentlemanly conduct.

"I cannot remember ever seeing a goal like that being allowed in all my years in football," said the Trinidad keeper.

But Bahrain's coach added: "If he didn't touch the goalkeeper - and I need to check on this when I see it again on television - I think I will ask my federation to protest to FIFA".

Peruzovic also complained that the referee gave too many free kicks against his team during a rugged, tight and dramatic encounter.

"I am not a bad loser, but there were a lot of fouls against us ," said the pony-tailed coach.

However, he also paid tribute to Trinidad's collective team effort. "They were too strong for us and we just could not play against them tonight ," he said.

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2005, 04:33:59 PM »
yeah I feel good today

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2005, 04:36:14 PM »
MANAMA, Bahrain (AP) - Trinidad and Tobago qualified for the World Cup finals for the first time Wednesday, beating Bahrain 1-0 and advancing to the final tournament with a 2-1 aggregate win.
Dennis Lawrence scored the only goal in the 49th minute with a header off a cross from Dwight Yorke. The teams drew 1-1 Saturday in the first leg of the playoff series.

Bahrain finished the match with 10 men after Hussain Ali was sent off in injury time for kicking the ball away from Trinidad goalkeeper Kelvin Jack as he was trying to send it downfield. Ali then put the ball in the net, but it was disallowed as Jack was still in his area.

Ali had an earlier chance to score, but Martin Anderson headed the ball out of danger after Jack had misjudged it.

Trinidad will be the least populated country at next year's World Cup finals in Germany. The Caribbean country has a population of about 1.3 million.

Bahrain earlier beat Uzbekistan in an Asian playoff, while Trinidad finished fourth in the final CONCACAF qualifying group. It is the first time CONCACAF has four teams in the World Cup finals.

Previously, the closest Trinidad came to qualifying was for the 1990 tournament. Needing a draw at home in its final game, the Soca Warriors lost 1-0 to the United States, which then qualified for the event for the first time since 1950.

Trinidadians clad in their national colors - red, white and black - took to the streets of Port-of-Spain jumping and screaming, while others cried over their first entry to the World Cup finals.

"I am overwhelmed. This is history: Trinidad and Tobago, we going to Germany, Oh God!" said David Frederick, a 37-year-old construction worker.

Thousands of people left work after the victory and were celebrating on nearly every street corner in the capital, waving their country's flag. Motorists punctuated the carnival-like atmosphere by blowing their horns.

Nutor Blair, a 30-year-old Guyanese man celebrating the victory outside a pub and holding a Trinidad flag, said: "I am Guyanese, but a win for Trinidad is a win for the Caribbean."

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2005, 04:42:06 PM »
Trinidad And Tobago's 'Soca Warriors' Beat Bahrain 1-0 To Qualify For First Ever World Cup Finals
Submitted by Scott Harkness on Wed, 2005-11-16 18:05. World Cup News | ASIA | CONCACAF | Match Reviews | Match Reviews | World Cup Qualifiers
Trinidad and Tobago’s ‘Soca Warriors’ have beaten Bahrain 1-0 to qualify for their first ever World Cup Finals with a 2-1 aggregate win. Coach Leo Beenhakker’s T&T ‘Warriors’ knew that they had to score to have any chance of making it to the World Cup finals in Germany next Summer, and started off the game brightly, passing well and showing their attacking intent.

The home side had a reminder for the visitors in the 8th minute when Dundee United’s keeper Kelvin Jack had his hands stung from a speculative, but hugely powerful long-range shot, that was put out for a corner for Bahrain.

The scorer of the equaliser in the first-leg, Port Vale’s Chris Birchall, after having received an injury in the 12th minute after having been caught after taking a shot, was forced to retire in the 22nd minute, to be replaced by Silvio Spann.

Hussein Ali Baba, without doubt Bahrain’s most effective player, made a wonderful defensive lunge to block Southampton FC’s Kenwyn Jones’ goal bound strike, as the visitors continued their pressure on the Bahrain goal. Minutes later Stern John was denied by Bahrain’s keeper Hassan Ali, who came out quickly from his goal-line to bravely parry his shot away.

With veteran captain Dwight Yorke now 34 years old, he knew that this was his last opportunity to make it to the World Cup, and was eager to keep the pace of the game high, and maintain the dominance that T&T were enjoying. Unfortunately the final ball was often lacking, and the Bahrain keeper had a few easy plucks from the air to deny the visitors.

The home side though, looked like they hadn’t even turned up for the match, and one couldn’t help thinking that they felt secure in the knowledge that 0-0 was sufficient for them to qualify, and were happy with that, with every attempt from Bahrain being speculative, long-range efforts.

Nonetheless, even with the almost constant pressure from the visitors, the game went into half-time 0-0.

The second half saw the same dominance from the visitors, and Trinidad and Tobago finally broke the deadlock in the 48th minute, with the 6’6” Wrexham defender Dennis Lawrence finding space from a corner, and scoring with a superb downward header to put the Warriors ahead.

Bahrain’s best attempt of the game thus far was when Marvin Andrews left his leg out for a free-kick for the home side which was taken by Hussein Ali, and the resulting shot almost crept into the corner of the T&T net, although it seemed that Kelvin Jack had the post covered.

This led to a flurry of Bahrain free kicks, with the home side coming close, but Jack marshalling his goal well.

Bahrain were beginning to come into the game now, with some passing movement, but the final ball was lacking, and still the attacking initiative was with the Warriors, who were looking for a second goal to seal the game.

In the 76th minute the goal scorer Dennis Lawrence almost scored an own goal, which re-awakened the visitors into action, and coach Leo Beenhakker brought on Trinidad and Tobago veteran Russel Latapy, who almost had immediate effect, striking the crossbar with his first touch, and almost scorinmg from the follow up.

The visitors continued in the same vein, and the home side’s frustrations grew until in the final minutes of play, when tempers began to fray, and the Bahraini players began to lose the plot en-masse, even manhandling the referee after the home side felt they had a perfectly legal goal disallowed after the ball was ‘nicked’ from the goalkeeper as he was taking a kick.

This was not the end of it, in the final seconds of the game, T&T’s keeper Jack was the saviour, when he tipped over a last gasp shot from the home side, saving the Caribbean Islanders blushes for a fabulous win.

Russel Latapy, the “Mini Magician” as he is known to the supporters of his club team Falkirk, was in the squad along with Dwight Yorke back in 1989, when Trinidad and Tobago were denied a place in Italia 90, and only needed a draw to qualify, but were beaten by the USA 1-0. The beauty of these two players being on the pitch at full time was a special moment for the two veteran stalwarts, who will relish the prospect of starring in the World Cup Finals in Germany next June.

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2005, 04:46:06 PM »
after being there for the last game, ah could jes imagine de tempo all over the place. TC was a good friend.....truely missed by all.

Offline teddy bear

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2005, 04:50:16 PM »
But Bahrain's coach added: "If he didn't touch the goalkeeper - and I need to check on this when I see it again on television - I think I will ask my federation to protest to FIFA".

If the coach of this team don't know de rules, then they deserve to stay home. FIFA will laugh in their face if they try to protest.

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2005, 04:54:40 PM »
Bahrain 0 Trinidad &Tobago 1 (Agg: 1-2)
Trinidad & Tobago qualified for their first-ever appearance at the World Cup finals, defeating Bahrain 1-0 in Manama to complete a 2-1 aggregate victory over the Gulf side and book their place in Germany next year.

Wrexham defender Dennis Lawrence scored the only goal of the game four minutes after half-time with a free header from Dwight Yorke's corner to send the Caribbean nation into the finals and earn the CONCACAF region a fourth World Cup spot.

Lawrence's goal came in a frenetic closing 45 minutes after a scrappy opening in which the best chance fell to the visitors.

Having lost Port Vale midfielder Christopher Birchall to an ankle injury midway through the first half, Trinidad went close 13 minutes before the break, but Bahrain goalkeeper Ali Hassan was equal to the task.

Stern John did well to control Marvin Andrews' ball into the penalty area from deep on the right flank, but the Derby County striker's shot was diverted for a corner by the custodian, who was quickly off his line to avert the danger.

John's opportunity was one of few clear-cut chances in an untidy first half and was the only time the home defence came close to being breached during the opening spell.

The same could not be said of the Trinidad back line, which was often its own worst enemy.

Sayed Mohammed's speculative shot from just inside his own half eight minutes into the game was fumbled over the bye line by Trinidad keeper Kelvin Jack and from the resultant corner Ala'a Hubail's shot was blocked by the visiting defence.

Trinidad's suspect defence - primarily due to their inability to deal with high balls - was again highlighted as the clock ran down on the first half. An error by Andrews six minutes from the break gave Hussein Ali time and space to shoot from the edge of the area, but the Al Gharafah striker was woefully off target.

A minute later another ball pumped into the area from deep caused consternation in the Trinidad defence, this time goalkeeper Jack misreading the flight of the ball only for Andrews to bail him out by heading behind for a corner before the lurking Ali could capitalise.

The game opened up more in the second half, and, with four minutes gone, Trinidad claimed the goal they so desperately needed, Lawrence rising above the flatfooted home defence to head powerfully past Ali Hassan.

Two minutes later Trinidad would have made it 2-0 but for the heroics of Hassan, who parried John's shot to relative safety as the Derby man bore down on goal.

Lawrence's goal gave Trinidad a much needed confidence boost, allowing Leo Beenhakker's team to control proceedings.

The Bahrainis still threatened on the break, however, and the nation's star striker, Ala'a Hubail, should have equalised on the hour mark, but the Al Gharafah striker - who has only recently returned from a serious knee injury - was just too slow to react to Talal Yousef's headed flick across the face of goal.

Substitute Russell Lapaty should have wrapped the game up for Trinidad with 10 minutes to go, but the Falkirk striker hit the crossbar despite having the time and space to score.

Tempers flared as Trinidad ran down the clock and the Caribbean side held on to record a famous win as Hussein Ali was sent off following an altercation with the referee that involved the majority of his team-mates.

Teams

Bahrain Hussein Ali Hassan, Salman (Ayesh 80), Adnan, Ali Baba, Abdulkarim, Ala'a Hubail, Mohamed Hubail, Jalal, Juma, Yusuf, Ahmed Hassan.

Subs Not Used: Al Kawari, Alhujairi, Farhan, Jaffar, Meshkhas, Ahmed Taleb.

Sent Off: Ali Baba (90).

Booked: Mohamed Hubail, Ala'a Hubail.

Trinidad and Tobago Jack, Avery John, Andrews, Lawrence, Birchall (Spann 21), Whitley, Edwards (Cox 83), Stern John, Jones (Latapy 77), Yorke, Gray.

Subs Not Used: Glenn, Hislop, Scotland, Theobold.

Booked: Yorke, Gray, Latapy.

Goals: Lawrence 49. Agg (1-2)

Ref: Julian Oscar Ruiz Acosta (Colombia).

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2005, 04:56:15 PM »
T&T join Aussies in World Cup finals
Wed 16 Nov, 6:52 PM

Wrexham defender Dennis Lawrence headed the only goal of the second leg as Trinidad & Tobago beat Bahrain 2-1 on aggregate to secure their first appearance at the World Cup finals.

Lawrence scored four minutes after half-time with a free header from Dwight Yorke's corner in Manama to send the Caribbean nation into the finals and earn the Concacaf region a fourth World Cup place in Germany next summer.

Having lost Port Vale midfielder Christopher Birchall to an ankle injury midway through the first half, Trinidad still managed to conjure the best chance of a scrappy first half when Stern John did well to control Rangers defender Marvin Andrews' ball into the penalty area from deep on the right flank, but the Derby striker's effort was saved by Ali Hassan.

The game opened up more in the second half and, with four minutes gone, Trinidad claimed the goal they so desperately needed, Lawrence rising above the flat-footed home defence to head powerfully past the keeper.

Substitute Russell Lapaty should have wrapped the game up for Trinidad with 10 minutes to go, but the Falkirk striker hit the crossbar despite having the time and space to score.

Tempers flared as Trinidad ran down the clock and the Caribbean side held on to record a famous win as Hussein Ali was sent off following an altercation with the referee which involved the majority of his team-mates.

Earlier Australia secured their place after Middlesbrough goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer performed heroics in a penalty shoot-out against Uruguay in Sydney.

Trailing 1-0 from the first leg at the weekend in Montevideo, Australia levelled the tie on aggregate through Marco Bresciano's first-half strike in a fiery match dominated by the hosts at Telstra Stadium.

After a wait of 32 years since their only appearance at football's biggest tournament, Australia held on in front of 82,698 fans and took the game to penalties.

Schwarzer saved twice, from Fabian Estoyonoff and Dario Rodriguez, before John Aloisi tucked away Australia's fifth spot-kick to secure a famous win.

Socceroos coach Guus Hiddink, who is also in charge of Dutch side PSV Eindhoven, now has the opportunity to enhance his World Cup pedigree after taking joint hosts South Korea to the semi-finals in 2002.

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2005, 05:01:24 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago reached the World Cup finals for the first time in their history after beating Bahrain.
Bahrain had secured a 1-1 draw in the Caribbean on Saturday, but were outplayed in the play-off's second leg.

Wrexham's giant defender Dennis Lawrence scored the goal, outjumping the Bahrain defence to powerfully head in a Dwight Yorke corner on 49 minutes.

In the closing stages Russell Latapy rattled the bar for Trinidad, while Hussain Ali Baba was red-carded.

In a scrappy first-half Bahrain keeper Ali Hassan made a brave save, throwing himself at Stern John's feet, after the on-loan Derby striker broke clear.

Bahrain struggled throughout against a physically stronger Trinidad team, with the home side's best chance stemming from Kelvin Jack's misjudgment in coming for a high ball five minutes before the interval.

The Trinidad keeper was rescued by Rangers defender Marvin Andrews who cleared the danger.

The best team won

From B
Have your say on 606 

After Lawrence's goal Ahmed Hassan's low curling free-kick hit the side-netting, though Jack had the shot covered.

In chaotic scenes at the end Ali Baba was dismissed after referee Oscar Ruiz was man-handled.

The Bahrainis had been furious the referee disallowed an Ahmed Hassan goal when he kicked the ball out of Jack's hands.

Bahrain coach Luka Peruzovic did not rule out an appeal to Fifa appeal over the disallowed goal.

"I want to make myself 100 %t sure of what happened before advising the Bahrain Football Association," said Peruzovic.

"We will watch the action replay before taking any decision."

Moments after the sending off Jack made up for his earlier eccentric keeping when he spectacualrly tipped over the bar a Talal Yusuf shot.

With a population of just over one million Trinidad will be the least populated country taking part in the 2006 finals in Germany.

Trinidad are only the fourth Caribbean side to reach the finals following Cuba in 1938, Haiti in 1974 and Jamaica in 1998.

"It was a very tough match and it was difficult logistically to get the players ready for such an important match after all that travelling," said Trinidad coach Leo Beenhakker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bahrain: Hussein Ali Hassan, Salman (Ayesh 80), Adnan, Ali Baba, Abdulkarim, Ala'a Hubail, Mohamed Hubail, Jalal, Juma, Yusuf, Ahmed Hassan.
Subs Not Used: Al Kawari, Alhujairi, Farhan, Jaffar, Meshkhas, Ahmed Taleb.

Sent Off: Ali Baba (90).

Booked: Mohamed Hubail, Ala'a Hubail.

Trinidad and Tobago: Jack, Avery John, Andrews, Lawrence, Birchall (Spann 21), Whitley, Edwards (Cox 83), Stern John, Jones (Latapy 77), Yorke, Gray.
Subs Not Used: Glenn, Hislop, Scotland, Theobold.

Booked: Yorke, Gray, Latapy.

Goals: Lawrence 49.

Agg: (1-2).

Ref: Julian Oscar Ruiz Acosta (Colombia).

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
In the Cold when Party Going on Home!!!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2005, 05:41:25 PM »
Anybody else who away feeling a bit uneasy.....
we going to the world cup and yuh sit down in front of a computer in work or dorm room...
listenin to Hoppy and dem on 967fm or any other station and yuh thinking ???

WHY THE f**k i here right now!!!!!!!!!
And these blasted jackass people want to know why yuh so happy and why yuh was bawling out ....
and what is the WORLD CUP......

Now have to decide if i saving money to go home for carnival or germany for world cup.......that is a tufff decision..

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Re: In the Cold when Party Going on Home!!!!!!!
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2005, 05:44:45 PM »
Now have to decide if i saving money to go home for carnival or germany for world cup.......that is a tufff decision..

Yea boy.
I reallll want to go run tru the streets home I cud just imagine the energy!!!

Offline cm103

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2005, 05:55:43 PM »
Benchwarmer...as a fellow Fatima ole boy I go offer some advice here.

Carnival is every year and yuh know what home look like already. Germany is a once in a lifetime experience...unless yuh been there before.

I guess I just sour I not there now and haven't seen a Carnival since 99.

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2005, 05:58:23 PM »
i believe i could afford carnival.......
Germany is another story.......

if i miss the mas to go germany and it aint pull thru.............
i go hadda go by a profesor again to watch the match......
and he wife only askin a whole set of stupid questions........

Offline supaselectuh

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: In the Cold when Party Going on Home!!!!!!!
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2005, 06:18:40 PM »
Anybody else who away feeling a bit uneasy.....
we going to the world cup and yuh sit down in front of a computer in work or dorm room...
listenin to Hoppy and dem on 967fm or any other station and yuh thinking ???

WHY THE f**k i here right now!!!!!!!!!
And these blasted jackass people want to know why yuh so happy and why yuh was bawling out ....
and what is the WORLD CUP......

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYYY, I wondering the sammemee thing, I listening to red, and thinking why my father send me in Uncle Sam country, I was telling someone that I willing to give my left kidney and all to go home right now

Offline verycute1

• Hero Warrior
  • Me Smash.. You Die
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2005, 06:52:10 PM »
tv 6 showing the boy's homecoming tomorrow live at 11am for subscribers..... seriously considering signing up for a month so i could see it
One of these days I'm going to bust out the crystalline doomhammer and go positively orc on this town. Then they'll be sorry...

Read the lore, warlocks are mages that decided not to suck.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2005, 07:14:37 PM »
tv 6 showing the boy's homecoming tomorrow live at 11am for subscribers..... seriously considering signing up for a month so i could see it

I now subscribe dey.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Express Front Page
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2005, 10:47:49 PM »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
Re: Express Front Page
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2005, 10:54:01 PM »
 ;D :cheers:
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline canadiantrini

• togeter we aspire. together we achieve
  • Jr. Warrior
  • T+T=victory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2005, 10:57:18 PM »
der be a red sea in germany come june.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2005, 12:26:48 AM »
Guardian own

CELEBRATION TIME!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2005, 12:32:18 AM »
Mas in Germany?? Ah feel yuh looking at dat tun tun mampie thing in front with all she bobots outside. Palos yuh eh easy. Dat is why yuh is ah magnet fuh dem bingo bag panty thing.

Offline ladywarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2005, 12:41:04 AM »
 I love my people! All kinds, all colors ONE SPIRIT!!
I love it when we UNITE!! GO WARRIORS!
The only thing to fear is fear itself.

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2005, 02:36:43 AM »
Good morning I sleep like a baby last night except that it was cold those in Trini enjoy your day off

rasajoy

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2005, 03:17:26 AM »
Soca Warriors achieve dream

MANAMA, Nov 16 (Reuters) - Trinidad & Tobago qualified for the World Cup finals for the first time on Wednesday when they overcame a hostile home crowd and steamy hot conditions to beat Bahrain 1-0 on the night and 2-1 on aggregate.

The decisive goal in the Asian/CONCACAF playoff second leg came from central defender Dennis Lawrence early in the second half with a header from a corner by Dwight Yorke, who inspired his team with a selfless display of industry in midfield.

But the game ended in chaos and ill-feeling as fans threw seat covers towards the pitch after Bahrain, also seeking to reach the finals for the first time, had central defender Hussain Ali Hasan sent off in added time.

The Bahrainis were deeply disappointed that a late 'goal' was disallowed by Colombian referee Oscar Julian Ruiz Acosta for dangerous play and the evening ended in uproar with uniformed soldiers guarding the field as the players drifted off.

The home crowd had poured into the stadium hours before the game hoping to celebrate a victory after Bahrain had held Trinidad to a 1-1 draw last Saturday in Port of Spain but they ended the night booing and jeering the officials.

There were belated cheers, however, for the visitors who became only the fourth Caribbean side to reach the finals following Cuba in 1938, Haiti in 1974 and Jamaica in 1998.

Trinidad, with a population of only 1.1 million, will be the smallest nation taking part in the 2006 finals in Germany.

On a hot and humid evening, and on a difficult, hard and bumpy pitch, Bahrain played cautiously from the start, knowing a goalless draw would secure a place in the finals.

Amid drumbeats, loud wailing songs and much screaming, Bahrain were cheered for almost every touch while the Trinidad & Tobago players were booed. The visitors were first to settle, though, and created the best chances in a tight opening half.

The game began with Trinidad striker Stern John heading wide inside two minutes. It was a statement of intent but Bahrain showed they were content to rely on spoiling tactics and the fussiness of the Colombian referee to stop the visitors.

The action was scrappy and sporadic. Both teams had shots off target but one by Bahrain defender Sayed Adnan from more than 35 metres did cause Kelvin Jack to make a leaping save.

The Trinidadians suffered a blow after only 12 minutes when midfielder Chris Birchall of Port Vale, who scored their equaliser in Saturday's first leg, was injured by a challenge from Sayed Jalal. He limped off nine minutes later.

Trinidad, playing in a traditional and offensive 4-4-2 formation with Yorke lining up on the left of midfield, did most of the attacking in the first half as Bahrain, who started in a 3-5-2, fell back into a 4-5-1 formation to contain them.

However, the stop-start nature of the contest ended early in the second half when Trinidad took the lead.

The goal came after 49 minutes from a corner on the left by former Manchester United forward Yorke which the unmarked Lawrence, who plays for English Football League side Wrexham, met with a powerful header only six metres from goal.

Trinidad then began playing with greater confidence and verve, making the most of the extra space available, as the Bahrainis were forced to attack in search of an equaliser.

At times, Trinidad had to defend desperately, resulting in several fouls and a caution for Yorke and right back Cyd Gray.

But they hung on and almost snatched a second goal when, in a swift breakaway, substitute Silvio Spann was set free on the left but drove his shot against the bar 10 minutes from time. 

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2005, 04:36:37 AM »
Captain Yorke inspires Trinidad & Tobago to finals

Round-up by Marcus Christenson
Thursday November 17, 2005
The Guardian

Trinidad & Tobago qualified for the World Cup finals for the first time yesterday when they overcame a hostile home crowd and steamy, hot conditions to beat Bahrain 1-0 on the night and 2-1 on aggregate. The decisive goal in the Asian-Concacaf play-off second leg came from the Wrexham defender Dennis Lawrence early in the second half with a header from a corner by Dwight Yorke, who inspired his team with a selfless display of industry in midfield.
But the game ended in chaos and ill-feeling as fans threw seat covers towards the pitch after Bahrain, also seeking to reach the finals for the first time, had the central defender Hussain Ali Hasan sent off in added time. The Bahrainis were angry that a late effort was disallowed by the Colombian referee Oscar Julián Ruiz Acosta for dangerous play and the evening ended in uproar with soldiers guarding the field as the players drifted off.
There was controversy too as Turkey, who finished third in 2002, missed out on Germany despite winning 4-2 on the night against Switzerland, with Tuncay Sanli scoring a hat-trick. Kobi Kuhn's side's celebrations were confined to the dressing room as their players left the pitch under a hailstorm of objects thrown by disappointed home fans. A television station showed Swiss and Turkish players clashing in the tunnel after the game and security personnel had to hold them back. The Turkey coach Fatih Terim, meanwhile, criticised the officials. "I say well done to them [Switzerland] but I have never seen two such immoral referees," he said.

Tomas Rosicky scored the only goal of the game against Norway in Prague as the Czech Republic qualified for the World Cup for the first time with a 2-0 aggregate win. The midfielder drove in a low shot in the 35th minute after Milan Baros's effort just inside the penalty area had deflected off John Arne Riise.

Spain will also be travelling to Germany next summer after a comfortable 6-2 aggregate win over Slovakia. Luis Aragonés' side drew 1-1 in Bratislava last night and were never in trouble despite Filip Holosko giving the home side the lead in the 50th minute. The substitute David Villa equalised after 71 minutes.

Wales lost their friendly against Cyprus, Chrysis Michael scoring from the penalty spot after Danny Collins had tripped Konstantinos Makridis just before half-time.

Offline rasajoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2005, 05:06:40 AM »
Tiny Trinidad and Tobago bring Caribbean to World Cup finals
'I must phone my mum' says veteran Yorke after islands' historic victory
By Glenn Moore
Published: 17 November 2005

Dennis Lawrence, the 6ft 7in Wrexham defender, yesterday earned a place alongside Brian Lara and Hasely Crawford in the Trinidadian sporting pantheon when he scored the goal which put Trinidad and Tobago into the World Cup for the first time, one of seven newcomers at next year's finals.

Lawrence rose to head in Dwight Yorke's corner 49 minutes into the second leg of a play-off against Bahrain in Manama to secure a 2-1 aggregate victory for the Soca Warriors. The Caribbean nation will be the smallest competitior in Germany with a population of around 1.3 million.

Victory was especially sweet for Yorke and his fellow veteran, Russell Latapy, the 37-year-old Falkirk midfielder. Both had been on the losing side when Trinidad came within a match of reaching Italia '90 only to lose in Port of Spain to the United States. Both came out of retirement for the qualifying campaign.

"It is history, it is unbelievable," said Yorke. "We were very unlucky not to qualify in 1974 ­ though I was only three-years-old then I've heard all about it, and again 16 years later we were unlucky in 1989 for the 1990 finals. Now another 16 years on and we have done it at last ­ the third time lucky."

The 34-year-old former Manchester United striker, who now plays for Sydney in Australia, added: "I don't know how to describe my feelings and I don't know what to say. I must phone my mother first because she is back in Tobago and she will be going crazy about this. After that, I will have to enjoy a party."

Bahrain and their supporters lost their heads in the closing stages as Yorke, Latapy and Stern John took the ball into the corners to wind down the clock. To a backdrop of missile-throwing Hussain Ali Baba was dismissed for pushing referee Julian Oscar Ruiz Acosta. This followed the Colombian ruling out a 90th minute "equaliser" after Hussain Ali Ahmed flicked the ball away from goalkeeper Kelvin Jack as he threw it up to kick clear.

Bahrain's Croatian coach Luka Peruzovic said he would ask his federation to protest to Fifa. Though the world governing body's decision to replay the Asian play-off, after a refereeing error, aided the wealthy Gulf state's progress, a repeat is inconceivable.

Incredibly, the 10 men would still have forced extra time but for a stunning save by Jack deep into injury time. Latapy, who had put a great chance against the bar in the closing stages, was particularly relieved.

The Trinidad and Tobago team is an eclectic mix of imports and exports ,ranging from native Tobagan Yorke to Chris Birchall, the first white player to play for the islands for 60 years, who qualified as his mother was born in Port of Spain. The Port Vale midfielder scored Trinidad's first-leg goal with a superb volley but was injured early in yesterday's tie. Other UK-based players involved in the match included Rangers' Marvin Andrews, Gillingham's Ian Cox and Southampton's Kenwyne Jones.

The result completed an excellent day for Dutch coaches, the veteran Leo Beenhakker emulating Guus Hiddink's success with Australia.

Who's going to Germany

EUROPE

Croatia (19), Czech Republic (3), England (9=), France (5), Germany (15), Italy (12), Netherlands (2), Poland (23=), Portugal (9=), Serbia & Montenegro (42), Spain (8), Sweden (13), Switzerland (38), Ukraine (39).

ASIA

Iran (21), Japan (16), Saudi Arabia (31), South Korea (29).

AFRICA

Angola (60), Ghana (51), Ivory Coast (48), Togo (49=), Tunisia (27).

SOUTH AMERICA

Argentina (4), Brazil (1), Ecuador (36), Paraguay (33).

CENTRAL AMERICA

Costa Rica (20), Mexico (6), Trinidad & Tobago (53), USA (7).

OCEANIA

Australia (54).

Draw for finals: 9 December (Leipzig).

World Cup: 9 June to 9 July (Germany). Figures in parentheses denote world rankings

Dennis Lawrence, the 6ft 7in Wrexham defender, yesterday earned a place alongside Brian Lara and Hasely Crawford in the Trinidadian sporting pantheon when he scored the goal which put Trinidad and Tobago into the World Cup for the first time, one of seven newcomers at next year's finals.

Lawrence rose to head in Dwight Yorke's corner 49 minutes into the second leg of a play-off against Bahrain in Manama to secure a 2-1 aggregate victory for the Soca Warriors. The Caribbean nation will be the smallest competitior in Germany with a population of around 1.3 million.

Victory was especially sweet for Yorke and his fellow veteran, Russell Latapy, the 37-year-old Falkirk midfielder. Both had been on the losing side when Trinidad came within a match of reaching Italia '90 only to lose in Port of Spain to the United States. Both came out of retirement for the qualifying campaign.

"It is history, it is unbelievable," said Yorke. "We were very unlucky not to qualify in 1974 ­ though I was only three-years-old then I've heard all about it, and again 16 years later we were unlucky in 1989 for the 1990 finals. Now another 16 years on and we have done it at last ­ the third time lucky."

The 34-year-old former Manchester United striker, who now plays for Sydney in Australia, added: "I don't know how to describe my feelings and I don't know what to say. I must phone my mother first because she is back in Tobago and she will be going crazy about this. After that, I will have to enjoy a party."

Bahrain and their supporters lost their heads in the closing stages as Yorke, Latapy and Stern John took the ball into the corners to wind down the clock. To a backdrop of missile-throwing Hussain Ali Baba was dismissed for pushing referee Julian Oscar Ruiz Acosta. This followed the Colombian ruling out a 90th minute "equaliser" after Hussain Ali Ahmed flicked the ball away from goalkeeper Kelvin Jack as he threw it up to kick clear.

Bahrain's Croatian coach Luka Peruzovic said he would ask his federation to protest to Fifa. Though the world governing body's decision to replay the Asian play-off, after a refereeing error, aided the wealthy Gulf state's progress, a repeat is inconceivable.

1]; } ?>