April 27, 2024, 05:51:19 PM

Author Topic: Jason Roberts Congratulate's T&T and Dreams of Leading Grenada to WC  (Read 1468 times)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jason Roberts column 

By Jason Roberts
Wigan striker 

The first time I ever pulled on an international jersey for Grenada, when I was 19 years old, was the proudest moment of my career.

I come from a footballing family and it was amazing to make my debut alongside my uncle Otis Roberts, who basically taught me how to play the game.

I have to be honest, if I'd thought I had a chance of playing for England I would have had to take it

I can't remember how many caps or goals I have got exactly, it is something like 12 goals in 22 games.

My mother was born in French Guyana and my dad in Grenada and I've got loads of family back home there, I have always gone back a lot since I was a kid.

It was always a big deal when I was growing up, I was so proud of my heritage and to play international football was a huge deal.

At the time there was talk about me playing for the England Under-21s, but I just felt I might not get the chance at full level so I took the plunge with Grenada and I've never looked back.

I have to be honest - if I'd thought I had a good chance of playing for England I would have taken it up.

As a footballer, you want to play in the World Cup finals and with the best players and all the real greats have played at the very highest level.

But for me, playing for Grenada was more than just playing international football, it was a chance to put something back into the country.

Trinidad & Tobago make history 

There are a lot of good players in the Carribbean - Trinidad have shown that by qualifying for the World Cup, but we're not far off them and can compete with them on our day.

I would like to congratulate the Trinidadians on a magnificent achievement and I am delighted for my great mate Shaka Hislop, it is fantastic news.

As for Grenada, it is just about pushing ourselves to the next level, to get to a World Cup or a Gold Cup, so far it's just not happened for us.

It is my dream before I retire, maybe it is just pie in the sky I don't know, but it is my dream to take Grenada to the World Cup finals. I was as happy as anyone when Jamaica did it in 1998 because it allowed some of their players to come and play in England and I hope we can do that as I'd love to see some Grenadians in the Premiership.

There is a buzz around Wigan - we're not just playing the best teams, we're competing with them too

There's a good standard of football over there but the facilities aren't great and there isn't a professional league because it is such a small country.

They show the Premiership highlights and I started getting texts and calls from people back home congratulating me after Wigan's great start to the season.

I wouldn't say I'm the most famous Grenadian in the world, but we are getting plenty of exposure!

Football is right up there with cricket and basketball as the main sport in the Carribbean, just because it gets so much coverage wherever you are.

And I do get recognised all the time when I go over - but only because we are all family!

It isn't just in Grenada where the profile of Wigan Athletic has increased, it is happening right on our own doorstep too.

There has been so much publicity this season, almost blanket coverage and you get the showbiz that goes with it when you play the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal.

There is a buzz around the town because we are not only playing the best teams but competing too, and people here have been dreaming about it for years.

A lot of football fans in Wigan grew up supporting other clubs, we all know how it works.

It's great that they can now watch their home town team at the top level instead.

source:bbc

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Jason Roberts Congratulate's T&T and Dreams of Leading Grenada to WC
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 04:51:50 PM »
i like to see him play cause he could play but comparing grenada with trinidad i don't think so nah father yuh think we make to the world cup over night is years now we trying grenada have plenty to go still

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 05:00:10 PM »
he is a real good striker. tanx for d congrats.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 05:02:17 PM »
 Trinidad and Tobago is like Brazil when it comes to producing talent...but we are not like Brazil in terms of Developing that Talent...Grenada have plenty to do to get like us or surpass us....Talent will never stop coming T&T....I just hope Beenhakker could form a good structure so we produce Great national Teams...

I see this guy play for Wigan...he good but he is no DWIGHT YORKE
....Go T&T

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 05:03:02 PM »
he is a real good striker. tanx for d congrats.
YES HE IS  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 05:11:58 PM »
futol what was the vibes in england dem trinis in loindon talking about the game.keep us updated on all them so called player with trini back ground comming out of the woodwork

From the article

My mother was born in French Guyana and my dad in Grenada and I've got loads of family back home there, I have always gone back a lot since I was a kid.

It was always a big deal when I was growing up, I was so proud of my heritage and to play international football was a huge deal.

At the time there was talk about me playing for the England Under-21s, but I just felt I might not get the chance at full level so I took the plunge with Grenada and I've never looked back.

I have to be honest - if I'd thought I had a good chance of playing for England I would have taken it up.

As a footballer, you want to play in the World Cup finals and with the best players and all the real greats have played at the very highest level.

But for me, playing for Grenada was more than just playing international football, it was a chance to put something back into the country.

Only only if jlloyd,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but to bad for him
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 05:28:43 PM »
futol what was the vibes in england dem trinis in loindon talking about the game.keep us updated on all them so called player with trini back ground comming out of the woodwork

From the article

Only only if jlloyd,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, but to bad for him

Well Triniman, nothing come out yet :rotfl:(as for the game most of the trinis i spoke to were confident about the game, a few didnt bother follow TNT progress until the play-off, like i said on the site I ent trini(great gran was though) but still I follow the progress of the numba 1 WI side. but some of them bad oui. Check this now bad it was  only 5mins before kick off yesterday my MSN flash up and one my Trini frends goes because dey see GOOD LUCK TNT!!! In mih screen name dey say ''Ah didnt know TNT Reach this far! Why Didnt you tell me!'' i was like hold up u trini and I should tell u???)  :rotfl: but im doing some reasearch for 3/4 clubs next week getting people to ask a couple of things for me at clubs. I get a Tip off that Nathan Tyson for Notts Forest has Trini-Blood but I'll have to double check Tyson is a common Jamaican name here(UK) but it might be on his muddas side. But if i do find out anybody I dont really want post it on the site because anyone name who up now would be a waggonist and I would get cuss if i bring up dey name up :rotfl:

As for the Roberts the guy is good Im proud of him (one side of my fams is Grenadian) he sends home football kits, boots, balls, shinpads for the kids involved in footbal and he made a commitment when his profile was a potential star for england in the future so its not like it wanted international stardom. He wanted to raise the profile of Grenadian football. Which he has done. It might not mbe super high but he has done it. There people I know who didnt know where grenada was before he came on the scene.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 05:40:21 PM by Futbol »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 05:57:22 PM »
yuh great grandmother trini lol well boss i gusss your family living in england long time no fam back in trinidad aye.Yeah thet nathan  tyson is a good player but he aint better than what we have he add nothing really tell him keep away.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>