April 19, 2024, 03:11:16 PM

Author Topic: Trini in Fiddy Movie  (Read 2808 times)

Offline Warrior Prince

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Trini in Fiddy Movie
« on: November 19, 2005, 12:25:18 AM »
&T's Walker shares limelight with 'Fiddy'

Trini actor in 'Get Rich' movie

Sateesh Maharaj

Thursday, November 17th 2005

Curtis '50 Cent' Jackson (left) and Sullivan Walker at the Grauman's Chinese Theatre, Los Angeles.

Thug. Gangsta'. Rapper. Call music superstar Curtis '50 Cent' Jackson what you may but Trinidad born actor Sullivan Walker knows him on more familiar terms... 'grandson.'

Walker stars in the controversial film Get Rich or Die Tryin' which recently opened in cinemas across the United States. In the film, he plays Cent's grandfather who, along with his grandmother, fought to guide and keep him on the path of righteousness.

"I would have loved him," admits Walker when asked how he would have felt if he really was Cent's father and knew of his past. "I would have done whatever I could to get him on the right path. I might have had to use tough love-which I did as a grandparent in the film-but my love would not have stopped. You don't stop loving someone because you don't approve of what they are doing. You might be heartbroken, but you don't stop loving them."

Walker said that filming the movie was a great experience and revealed that he learnt much from director Jim Sheridan. The son of Laventille said that critics of the film's violent content have been missing the underlying message of the movie-one which should become the motto of youth today.

"There is violence in the movie, but there is a lot of emphasis on family and the closeness he had with his grandfather and his grandmother. People talk about the violence in this film but you have to walk in this man's shoes to understand what his world was like."

He added: "One has to understand at that time in America, crack and drugs was really sweeping the poor communities. He got caught up in that. To me what is redeeming about the film is the fact that he was able to transcend all of that and become one of the biggest recording artists in the world. This is important for young people to understand. It does not matter where you come from. With what you are given at birth you can rise above your condition. For young people this is a film that will show them that they can be anything they want to be.This is what people have to look at."

"I think it's kind of hypocritical to talk about the violence," he continued. "There are kids who grew up in that. People have to understand what it's like to be poor and black in America with no hope. He went beyond his limitations. I think one of the reasons why he was successful is that he has Caribbean roots. He has that drive for success that we as island people have."

Walker reiterated that people needed to go see this film and not let "the negative press that is coming out of America" prevent them from going to see it.

The actor said that Cent was nothing like the violent imagery which saturate his hits.

"When you meet the man you really appreciate his humility. One would have expected because he is such a big star that he'd throw temper tantrums but there was none of that. I'm proud of the film and working with him. I find him to be shy, introverted, very much willing to know and understand what he doesn't know in terms of film making. He is a determined young man. People need not be caught up in his public image. Sometimes that image is just there to help sell records and stuff like that. You can't judge somebody just by their public image, especially in entertainment. He's really soft spoken and respectful of his grand parents. He's just singing about what he lived."

Walker, who will next be featured in the stage revival of Barefoot in the Park, says he wants to gain enough visibility so that he can show the world what this country has to offer.

He hopes that his career will serve as an inspiration to youngsters who feel that their circumstances dictate who they are.

"I want the young people to know that I am in their corner. I was born in Success Village, Laventille. I want people to look at my career and let them understand that there is hope. If you develop skill, keep looking forward, hold on to your culture and believe in who you are it will pay off."

T-&-T!  #1 one Team in The WORLDDDDDDD

1]; } ?>