April 26, 2024, 07:50:54 PM

Author Topic: Russell Latapy’s fantastic feelings.  (Read 8649 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Russell Latapy’s fantastic feelings.
« on: November 19, 2005, 05:37:48 PM »
No official complaints on late arriving players.
By: Shaun Fuentes.

There has been no letter of complaints sent to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation nor the management staff of the National team regarding the late arrivals of some of this country’s overseas footballers back to their respective clubs.
Reports in the UK have stated that the likes of Dundee FC and Luton Town FC  have all expressed dissatisfaction over the late return of Kelvin Jack and Carlos Edwards following after match celebrations here to mark T&T’s qualification for Germany.
Dundee’s Alan Kernaghan said he was not pleased that Jack did not arrive back in time for a 3-0 loss to Ross County on Saturday while Luton’s Paul Newell also kicked up a storm in the Press for Edwards’ late return.
Both men were reportedly earlier assured that they could return home with the rest of the team once they could get back to England in time for the weekend’s action. Jack however missed his connecting flight to Scotland on Saturday and has been reportedly fined by the club.
“We have not heard anything from the clubs and we only go with what the papers are saying,” team manager Bruce Aanensen told TTFF Media on Tuesday.
“Only Jason Scotland’s club and Ian Coxs’ Gillingham were the ones who definitely had a problem with the players coming home and as a result, they all returned out of Madrid. But now we’re hearing a different story from some of the clubs of the other players.”
Gillingham have also since given Cox and Brent Sancho difficult times since the win over Bahrain. Sancho was told that he had to miss the trip home but then found himself off the Gillingham squad on the weekend.
“These people didn’t even have the courtesy to acknowledge us but it’s not a problem because we know we are committed to both causes and our World Cup qualification achievement is second to none,” Sancho said. “They told me that I must return to the club and then said that I had to sit in the stands. That robbed me of a chance of experiencing the greatest reception for the team.”
Falkirk’s Russell Latapy, Dwight Yorke and Shaka Hislop didn’t take chances and returned to their clubs even though all of T&T felt they truly deserved the trip back home after helping T&T to such a remarkable achievement.
T&T Women prepare for CONCACAF leg W/Cup qualifiers.
[/size]

Trinidad & Tobago have been grouped with hosts Mexico and defending champions Canada and Panama in Group A for the CONCACAF leg FIFA Under 20 Women’s World Cup Qualifiers to be held in Mexico from 18-27 January 2006.
Group B consists of USA, Costa Rica, Jamaica and Suriname and the tournament will be played at the Real Murillo Vidal Stadium in Cordoba and Luis Pirata Fuentes Stadium in Vera Cruz, Mexico.
T&T National Women’s Coach Jamaal Shabazz has called up a squad of 27 locally based players to prepare for the final leg of the tournament. Earning recalls to the national team are goalkeeper Gail Ann Thomas who missed the last week’s CFU leg because of injury.
While good performances at school’s level have earned Providence’s Ashley Alonzo and Talisa Vire call up to the squad.
The T&T squad starts preparations this Friday with a weekend camp at a base in Central Trinidad. The squad includes prolific striker Tobagonian Kennya Cordner whose four goals earned her the Most Goals Award in the recently concluded CFU Quadrangular Tournament.

T&T Squad:[/b]

Goalkeepers:
Kimica Forbes (Stokely Vale), Tricia Lawrence (St. George’s College & Real Dimensions), Gail Ann Thomas (Real Dimensions) and Julie Ann McDougall (St. Clair Coaching School).

Defenders:
Ayana Russell, Kennya Charles (EL Dorado & Joe Public), Anastasia Prescott (Real Dimensions), Christine Rose (Real Dimensions), Simone Mason (Central United), Patrice Rose (Real Dimensions), Tamar Watson (Real Dimensions), Chazelle Dumas(St.Clair Coaching School).

Midfield:
Dernelle Mascall (Petrotrin), Aveann Douglas (Joe Public ), Karen Forbes (Stokely Vale), Joseann Boyce (Tobago Pheonix), Bianca Walker (St. Joseph Convent & Real Dimensions), Talisa Vire (Providence), Stephanie Barrow (Joe Public), Shanelle Warrick (Unattached), Jemilia Mathlin (Real Dimensions).

Strikers:
Kennya Cordner (St. Clair Coaching School), Candace Edwards (Stokely Vale), Janine Francois, Dinelle Douglas (Real Dimensions), Kermica Alexander (Memphis), Ashley Alonzo (Providence).
News from the 22nd of November 2005.
Stern and pros still basking in W/Cup glory.
[/size]

Some of Trinidad and Tobago’s overseas-based footballers have continued to revel in the success of qualifying for next year’s World Cup Finals and have fittingly been the toast among their fans back at their respective clubs over the past few days.
But there have been some concerns coming from some of the club bosses over the fitness and availability of a couple of the players like Kenwyne Jones and Kelvin Jack while striker Stern John has been left out of his team for the next two matches and has not been acknowledged by his club manager Phil Brown.
But for John, while he has come back down to earth since T&T’s qualification, nothing will have a negative effect on their feelings.
John, as he settled back in at his Birmingham home on the weekend, was able to carefully give his take on T&T’s World Cup booking.
“It’s definitely the most exciting time of our lives. It’s everyone’s dream to reach and play in a World Cup and for the fans too, it’s their biggest wish to see their players reach a   World Cup and I think we are experiencing all the love because of this,” John told TTFF Media.
“The fans are still congratulating us. Some are shocked that we made it and it’s not just about getting the rewards that comes with it, but just the fact that this is the biggest moment in my career and the other guys as well. All the persons who played a part in this has every reason to be on high clouds right now.”
He was not as cheerful sounding though when having to comment on the response coming from Brown.
“The manager didn’t have much to say but that’s okay. For someone who had been chasing me down since I was back in Trinidad for a qualifying game, I thought he would have been somewhat happy but that’s life I guess. Now it’s like they don’t care. They have not even included me in the squad for the next two games but there’s nothing that can take away from this experience. I’ve been dropped before and I bounce back. Nothing is going to break me now,” John stressed.
The former MLS topscorer said too, that while he appreciated all the love shown to the team upon qualification, he wanted to say a special thanks to those who were there from the early days.
“We need to say a special thanks to those who have been with us from the early part of the campaign, from the days when only 5,000 fans would come to the Stadium. The fans who just came on need to be aware of what it takes to be a true supporter and to everyone else who will like to be involved now in whatever area must understand that there are others who have been here before them and respect that at the same time. All in all though nothing could beat back the love we got when we arrived home especially from the kids,” John added. “The other people like players too – Arnold (Dwarika), Gary (Glasgow), Angus (Eve), Mickey (Trotman) and others who have been there from before and they must be mentioned too”
The T&T topscorer with 64 goals with 91 matches, had special regards for Jack Warner, Russell Latapy and Dwight Yorke.
“There’s so much that can be said about Jack Warner and the entire team is really grateful for what he has done for us. I don’t think he would maybe understand how we feel about his assistance but a large part of it is responsible for what we have achieved. People could say what they want about him but the main thing is that he has delivered for us,”
“Dwight and Russell deserve all the praises too and even though I was playing in the early matches when they were not here, I must say that I am really happy that they can end up in a World Cup now and they both deserve it. Even Michael Maurice deserves credit because he has been there since 1989,” said John.
Keeper Jack fined by Scottish club.
Julien Neaves (Express).
[/size]

Dundee manager Alan Kernaghan has threatened the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) with a complaint to FIFA and separate plane trips and fees for Kelvin Jack after the goalkeeper missed Saturday's game away to Ross County.
Kernaghan refused Jack time off from his domestic duties and ordered him to play for the Scottish First Division club on Saturday at Ross County although the international custodian would have flown 38 hours and played twice within a week.
A delayed BWIA flight to London on Friday evening meant that Jack missed his connection to Scotland on Saturday, though.
Kernaghan accepted his excuse although he still fined the player nearly $20,500.
He had stern words for the T&TFF.
"We'll be raising the matter with the Trinidad FA," Kernaghan told the Scottish Sun. "We have to get the information from them first then, we have to go through the SFA here I think first. That could then lead to a higher complaint with FIFA."
Kernaghan also suggested separate travel arrangements for Jack in the future.
"I think we'll have to go down the Rangers route and do it all ourselves and just send them the bill," he said. "I've seen it myself when I was with the Republic (of Ireland) and Manchester United used to send the private jet for (Roy) Keane and (Denis) Irwin... It'll make sure it won't happen again."
Kernaghan's stance was typical of the Scotland's approach to their Trinidad and Tobago employees. Falkirk's Russell Latapy, St Johnstone's Jason Scotland and Glasgow Rangers' Marvin Andrews all represented their Scottish clubs on Saturday, with Jack the only absentee.
In contrast, Gillingham defender Ian Cox was the only one from eight England-based Trinidad and Tobago players to be fielded on Saturday.
Kernaghan, who is in his first season as a manager, saw Dundee concede 12 goals in their last five matches without Jack, including Saturday's 3-0 loss at Ross County.
Dundee, who were relegated from the Scottish Premiership last season under Jim Duffy, now lie in sixth spot on the ten-team table. Jack joined Dundee after a spell with English club Reading, having previously played with T&T clubs San Juan Jabloteh, W Connection and Doc's Khelwalaas.
News from the 21st of November 2005.
Kenwyne Jones in Dreamland.
BBC Sports.
[/size]

Southampton striker Kenwyne Jones is still in dreamland after helping to take Trinidad & Tobago to their first World Cup finals.
And he is likely to stay there for the next seven months as he admitted to BBC Sport: "Qualification will give me smiles in my sleep."
Not that there was much time for sleep following the win in Bahrain which clinched a place in Germany.
Trinidad Prime Minister Patrick Manning led the celebrations by issuing a directive for all the squad to return to Port of Spain for an official party, which led to Jones being unavailable for Southampton's Championship game against Leeds.
The Soca Warriors are still pinching themselves at the thought of being at the world's biggest football party in Germany next summer, with Jones among them.
Leo Beenhakker has been great for Trinidad football, he's given us belief.
"It's amazing to think that we will be sharing the stage with the likes of Brazil, France, Germany, Argentina and England," Jones told BBC Sport.
"But we have proved our right to be there. We had a very long journey to the finals, of which the two legs against Bahrain in the play-off were the last, but probably the biggest step."
The appointment of Dutch coach Leo Beenhakker in April was a pivotal moment for Trinidad's qualification aims.
The wily former Real Madrid coach moulded the natural talent into a unit, as Jones admits.
"We've always had talent individual players but he came in and organised us into a team.
"He has an eye for detail and leaves nothing to chance. We didn't know much about Bahrain before, but when we came to play them we knew all we needed to know.
"We're much better organised in defence and when we take a lead we're much more confident of holding on to it, and I think Leo Beenhakker has been great for Trinidad football, he's given us belief as well as organisation."
Beenhakker does risk the wrath of some players as Trinidad scour the passport lists for players who could enhance their squad.
Aston Villa's Jlloyd Samuel and West Ham striker Bobby Zamora have already been sounded out and Jones says: "That's an issue for the coach to sort out.
"He has said that he wants to try and be fair to the players who have got us this far and I think he has to do that.
Brian Lara has been one of our biggest supporters, he was the first to send us greetings
"But at the same time, if there's a chance of bringing in a couple of players who are going to improve your team and could make a difference, it would be foolish not to take it."
Dwight Yorke is exactly the type of player who made a difference to Trinidad's qualification.
"It's great to have a player like Dwight in the team", says Jones. "He's won so much in the game and he's got a lot of experience at the top level.
"He had retired from international football but I think he realised what it means to everyone in Trinidad & Tobago to reach the World Cup finals and he's come out of retirement to get us there."
The biggest name in Trinidad sport has been firmly behind the Soca Warriors, even if his own team have been taking a battering in Australia.
"Brian Lara has been one of our biggest supporters and he was the first to send us good luck messages and greetings, so we've certainly got the whole island behind us."
W Connection capture Pro League crown.
By: Mark Pouchet (Express).

Vibe CT 105 W Connection lifted the T&T Pro League crown, even though they drew their Lucozade Big Six match with Defence Force 2-2, yesterday.
With second placed team CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh suffering a 3-0 defeat at the feet of National Quarries North East Stars, Connection have an insurmountable 13-point lead with only four more games remaining in the season.
At the Manny Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella yesterday, despite playing without their banned Brazilian-born leading goalscorers, Gefferson Goulart and Ronaldo Viana, W Connection managed a 2-2 draw.
Goulart was banned for two matches for his part in the Toyota Classic final fracas, while Viana and Travis Mulraine were suspended for six matches each, virtually ending their current season.
The Savonetta Boys got their goals from Randolph Jerome and veteran striker Earl Jean, while Anton Pierre and Bevon Lewis made certain Defence Force got a share of the points.
In the second game of a double-header at the Larry Gomes Stadium, in Malabar, San Juan Jabloteh, playing without their coach Terry Fenwick and players Ian Gray and Dexter Franklyn, suffered a heavy 3-0 defeat, Jerren Nixon, Gary Glasgow and Kern Navarro finding the net for Stars.
In the first game, Caledonia AIA Fire and United Petrotrin played to a 2-2 draw. Caledonia's items came from Nigel Pierre and Shawn Bishop, while Peter Prosper and Jerol Forbes scored for their opponents.

Results:

W Connection 2 (Randolph Jerome, Earl Jean) v Defence Force 2 (Anton Pierre, Bevon Lewis).

North East Stars 3 (Jerren Nixon, Gary Glasgow, Kern Navarro) v San Juan Jabloteh 0.

Caledonia AIA FIre 2 (Nigel Pierre, Shawn Bishop) v United Petrotrin 2 (Peter Prosper, Jerol Forbes).
News from the 20th of November 2005.
Russell Latapy’s fantastic feelings.

National midfielder Russell Latapy has made his feelings known about this country’s historic qualification for the 2006 World Cup Finals in Germany.
The team’s oldest player at 37 was the first player to break down in tears on the pitch seconds after the final whistle blew to signal T&T’s 1-0 win over Bahrain last Wednesday and almost immediately the likes of skipper Dwight Yorke, Marvin Andrews and others broke down. They all embraced each other, head coach Leo Beenhakker and goalscorer Dennis Lawrence too as the T&T faithful at the venue and the rest back home and in other parts of the globe was overcome by the joy of the triumph.
Emotions were higher than ever for Latapy and the “Soca Warriors”.
“Yes definitely it was. It’s a feeling that you cannot describe because this is what we have been dreaming of from the moment we realized what football was about,” Latapy told TTFF Media moments after the victory.
“It’s unbelievable because the older you get as I have, the more you understand things and at 37, having the opportunity to go to the World Cup is something that words cannot really describe.”
Latapy contributed significantly both on and off the field since his return to the team, scoring in the 3-2 win over Guatemala but didn’t see all the action in the playoff with Bahrain. But he commended Beenhakker’s decision to leave him out of the starting eleven last Wednesday.
“It was 90 minutes of do or die and the coach’s decision was fantastic. I’m doing a lot of coaching now and when I looked at things I probably would have made the same decision because we needed to play with two strikers because we had to score and we needed the young legs on the pitch and that decision worked wonders for us,” said Latapy who braved the temptations to return home for the victory parade last Thursday and opted to return to his Scottish home. He is however looking forward to joining T&T with the full team for further receptions.
He also spoke of his gratitude towards Jack Warner and the rest of the Federation, the Local Organising Committee and other people behind the scenes who contributed to making the dream a reality, not forgetting the T&T public at large.
“Without them this achievement would have been a harder one to see today. This is something that we must all feel great about.”
The ex-FC Porto man also remembered the experience of missing out on qualification 16 years ago yesterday (Saturday). Now with reality stepping back in and with the lifetime wait for qualification now over, Latapy is hoping that the second major part of his ambitions will be realized.
“It’s just fantastic for me. But I must say that one of the factors in me making my decision to come back and play with the national team after four years was probably the social state of Trinidad and Tobago with all the violence and killings. I was hoping that if I can come back and make a positive contribution and help up us to get to the World Cup then that would take the focus of a lot of the negative things. Now I have done the first bit which is helping the team to get to the World Cup and I’m hoping that my decision will help the country to realize that we can also accomplish the second feat which is being positive as a nation and I will be happy if that can happen,” he ended.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 03:18:13 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
Re: Russell Latapy’s fantastic feelings.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 06:20:09 PM »
DEEP !!
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2005, 06:52:24 PM »
Thus spoke one of T&T's greatest ever athletes. We salute you, Latas.  :salute:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2005, 08:32:35 PM »
well spoken :applause: NOW LEH WE BUSS ASS IN DE WORLD CUP!!!!!!! :bringiton:
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline lp

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2005, 08:46:01 PM »

THANK YOU LATAS

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 09:44:16 PM »
Latas I am glad to see the tears because I was apart of the disappointment  in 1983 when u were an under 16 and then in 85 when u were an under 19 and then in 1989 I know how long u have been trying and the dream is a reality.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 09:58:57 PM »
Latas, is ah true WARRIOR  :applause: :applause:

Offline Sentinel

• Full Warrior
  • Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 10:37:48 PM »

D Latas story...from Sentinel.

Ah see Latas get some sort of 1 year deal with TSTT.  Ah so glad for him.  I remember back in the mid 80's..Meh pardner Brown and mehself was managing the Textel football team with Kenwyn Cooper as coach.

Latas, Nigel Woodley, one ah de George brothers, Alexander (Speedy) Nigel Roach (aka shortman) were all part of the team.  Even Brian Lara used to take a lil touche ..(yeah he coulda play football too).  Meh pardner and meself tried really hard to get some sort of sponsorship for dem fellahs, eeven if it was travelling money.   

Now things come full circle and Textel merged with Telco to become TSTT.  He (Latas) no longer have to look for sponsorship....deh now looking for he...damn...such is the irony of life!

Luv U T&T

Offline FalkirkBairn

• New Warrior
  • A Trinidadian werewolf in Falkirk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 10:07:33 AM »
As a Falkirk fan I have had the privilege of watching Russell week in and week out for the last three seasons. Its great that we have been lucky to have a player of his class and its wonderful that he will have the chance to play for the country he loves on footballs biggest stage.

No one deserves it more.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 10:28:46 AM »

LATAPY

EE OOOH EAY...CHECK DE DANGER...OHHHH  ..................  INNA DE AREA  ( FILL IN DE BLANK)
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline ladywarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 10:33:48 AM »
 There is nothing sexier than a grown man crying tears of JOY! It means his passion runs sooo deep his heart overflows!

In case you needed a lady's perspective!
The only thing to fear is fear itself.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 04:07:26 PM »
Hail the midfield creator!

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 04:14:24 PM »
  THANK YOU FOR COMING BACK LATAS...YOU'RE A TRU,TRU TRINI!!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline poeticjuggler

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2005, 05:19:52 PM »
Let me first take this opportunity to congratulate TNT for qualifying for the world cup. I'm not a trini but I'm a caribbean national. Ah come from a small country. Anyone care to guess?

I sat glued to my TV for both of the Bahrain games. I'm a soccer player and so after watching the first game I was certain Trini could beat Bahrain. I was beaming with pride when the refree blue the final whistle in Bahrain.

The emotions latas displayed were rather genuine and tells how much this brother is passionate about this sport and what it can do for TNT and by extension, the wider Caribbean.

Some of my friends think I'm crazy because Ah tell them Trini not going to Germany to make numbers. I believe this team is going to represent TNT and the caribbean well.

Just to let the board family know: I place an order for my minature pan already. You know, one that can fit in my luggage. Germany all the way!! Ah know it's going to be an enjoyable stay. 

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2005, 05:21:22 PM »
my guess in tobago ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline poeticjuggler

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005, 05:37:54 PM »
Good try morvantman. Couldn't be because Ah play football against Trinidad and Tobago already. Lets see, little country with approx 150,000 people. Them love party too!

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 06:16:06 PM »
He earned a lot more respect after reading that article.

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005, 02:01:57 PM »
Congrats to the Soca Warriors again...Latapy in ah de area..I foresee him being the new TnT coach after the great don Leo retires in a couple years.

We in germany!!  ;D
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005, 03:15:28 PM »
Good try morvantman. Couldn't be because Ah play football against Trinidad and Tobago already. Lets see, little country with approx 150,000 people. Them love party too!

St. Kitts and Nevis??

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2005, 07:01:12 PM »
nice to see Maurice get some recognition.....another link form the 89 squad.

1]; } ?>