Is it Justification...or political expediency

Yes
19 (73.1%)
No
7 (26.9%)
Undecided
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Was a public holiday justified?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Sentinel

• Full Warrior
  • Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
    • View Profile
Was a public holiday justified?
« on: November 20, 2005, 11:19:00 AM »
As a follow-up on the Trinity Cross issue...do you think a public holiday was justified by qualifying for world cup 2006.

Levels of consideration.

(a)  Lets face it.  The government lived up to only promises (until after the Mexico game) failing to give meaningful support to the country's journey to WC 2006.

(2)  Is a public holiday really warranted...when even our national feltival (that includes, song, pan, art) is not a public holiday?  Why could Carnival not finally be declared a public holiday?  No one works anyway.

(3)  How many more public holidays can our country accommodate especially when unemployment is at an all time high....giving rise to social unrest (crime on the up...up....up)?

Remember it was hard-work, guidance, and discipline that finally made us overcome the hurdles we faced.

Think about it carefully...vote, then give reasons for or against.

Luv U T&T
« Last Edit: November 20, 2005, 04:19:31 PM by Tallman »

Offline Rotato Poti

• Hero Warrior
  • VIBES IT UP!!!
    • View Profile
    • ACB reloaded
Re: Food for Thought
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 11:21:22 AM »
Isn't productivity one of our watchwords?

Offline supaselectuh

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 11:23:06 AM »
even if it was declared a holiday ppl were not going to work.....

yuh know how many ppl reach home 5am, still in dem work clothes from wednesday....

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 12:33:50 PM »
I believe it was justified considering the reaction of the people and the level of euphoria that existed in the country. Also, I'm sure it's just a one-off situation. I don't believe that November 17th is going to be a recurring holiday.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Sentinel

• Full Warrior
  • Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 01:41:06 PM »
Eyeh Mose.....thanks for the clarification.  I wrote Food for Thought based on the assumption that the declared Public Holiday...was one of those penciled in that would re-occur every year.

Respect
Luv U T&T

Offline FATZ

• Hero Warrior
  • I SELL FOOTBALL JERSEYS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 01:41:40 PM »
That was one day in this year, in this life that won't be repeated, first times don't ever come back and the holiday had to be given to accommodate the joy of the people, allowing them time to fully bask in the moment. Carnival is something that happens every year and it's the same thing, i don't think carnival can compare to this especially if you're an avid or should i say religious football supporter. Think about this, some carnival costumes now cost 5k plus all the other expenses that a reveler may incur, that is money for Germany right there, i'd give up those 2 days for a month in Germany to see the world cup live any day.
WELCOME TO DINSLEY OUT IN THE STREETZ THEY CALL ME FATZ

Without Him, I am nothing but with Him I can do all things. Phil 4:13

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 04:56:13 PM »
That was one day in this year, in this life that won't be repeated, first times don't ever come back and the holiday had to be given to accommodate the joy of the people, allowing them time to fully bask in the moment. Carnival is something that happens every year and it's the same thing, i don't think carnival can compare to this especially if you're an avid or should i say religious football supporter. Think about this, some carnival costumes now cost 5k plus all the other expenses that a reveler may incur, that is money for Germany right there, i'd give up those 2 days for a month in Germany to see the world cup live any day.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN FATZ :beermug:

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Was a public holiday justified?
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 08:32:29 AM »
We all know trinis were not going to work regardless of public holiday or not.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 08:39:44 AM »
It was very much justified, this was a big achievment for the Country.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Holiday a third world decision
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 09:59:36 AM »
Letter to Trinidad Guardian

First world, 2020 Vision, what a laugh! It is extremely rash, emotional and totally irresponsible of the so-called “leader” of our country to declare a public holiday mere hours before the day, because we have won a football game.

Do you think Bush or Blair, who our PM would like to consider his equals, would declare a public holiday for their respective countries without even so much as a day’s notice, and for something as trivial as this? Of course, I mean “trivial” in the grand scheme of things.

Don’t get me wrong, I am as elated as anyone else about the outcome of our World Cup qualifying success, but a large percentage of the country already took half of Wednesday off to watch the game and spent the balance of the day celebrating.

Congrats to our Warriors! Excellent stuff! You have done us proud!

I suppose we expect, and hope, for something from nothing, if you know what I mean. I can only assume that our PM did not have anything of consequence to do on Thursday. I did, and that’s why I was at work, like a lot of other responsible people who plan out their work schedule, supposedly based on a “stable” working environment.

Congrats to you, Manning, for enforcing and strengthening our third world status. We go nowhere fast as a result of decisions such as this.

K Johnston
Port-of-Spain
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 10:02:14 AM »
who cares..is a holiday and thats it

truetrini

Re: Holiday a third world decision
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 10:08:39 AM »
Letter to Trinidad Guardian

First world, 2020 Vision, what a laugh! It is extremely rash, emotional and totally irresponsible of the so-called “leader” of our country to declare a public holiday mere hours before the day, because we have won a football game.

Do you think Bush or Blair, who our PM would like to consider his equals, would declare a public holiday for their respective countries without even so much as a day’s notice, and for something as trivial as this? Of course, I mean “trivial” in the grand scheme of things.

Don’t get me wrong, I am as elated as anyone else about the outcome of our World Cup qualifying success, but a large percentage of the country already took half of Wednesday off to watch the game and spent the balance of the day celebrating.

Congrats to our Warriors! Excellent stuff! You have done us proud!

I suppose we expect, and hope, for something from nothing, if you know what I mean. I can only assume that our PM did not have anything of consequence to do on Thursday. I did, and that’s why I was at work, like a lot of other responsible people who plan out their work schedule, supposedly based on a “stable” working environment.

Congrats to you, Manning, for enforcing and strengthening our third world status. We go nowhere fast as a result of decisions such as this.

K Johnston
Port-of-Spain

Fair enough Mr. K. Johnson, but you are not taking cultural differences into consideration.  I am happy to hear that you went to work because you are a responsible individual....does that mean that the tens of thousands of trinis who took to the streets in celebration and partied into the wee hours of the morning are not?

Furthermore, people in the USA often need to be restrained by riot police when "their" team wins the super bowl or world series.

In fact, New York city with a populationmuch larger than T&T's had several days where their beloved NY Yankees were celebrated and feted...ticker tape parades, parties, and No one worked those days, i know because I was right there partying!

So much for your First world theories I suppose.

yours truely,

truetrini who feted with de best ah dem Wednesday 16 and Thursdat 17th Novemeber 2005

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 10:12:45 AM »
I have no problem with the holiday but you have to give employers notice.

I used to work in different manufacturing oriented businesses and when you schedule production you have your raw materials coming in that are sometimes perishable. When your wage labourers hear that it is a holiday and don't show up it puts the employer in a bad position.

A better planned holiday would have been much better. Even if it was months down the line waiting a while would have diminished the achievement any.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 10:24:21 AM »
I have no problem with the holiday but you have to give employers notice.

I used to work in different manufacturing oriented businesses and when you schedule production you have your raw materials coming in that are sometimes perishable. When your wage labourers hear that it is a holiday and don't show up it puts the employer in a bad position.

A better planned holiday would have been much better. Even if it was months down the line waiting a while would have diminished the achievement any.

Point taken, but if you were in T&T the day of the victory you would have appreciated the Public Holiday.  Taxis were not running, the streets were full and parties, improptu ones, were popping up all over the place.  St. james outside of S and B's was impassable and the road was covered with broken bottles.

I understand the point, but breds..it was pressure.

1]; } ?>