April 15, 2024, 11:37:27 PM

Author Topic: SOCA Dilemma  (Read 1453 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
SOCA Dilemma
« on: November 22, 2005, 11:44:01 PM »
 Last night I sat down in the bar with about six other expats from England,Italy and Scotland, talking about the WC and other stuff.
We eventually got around to the pet names of the teams like: England the three lions, Italy the Azurri etc.
Now one of the guys is from Southampton and a big fan of Kenwynne Jones and he said " Trinidad and Tobago the soccerwarriors".
At first I did not catch on to what he said but as the conversation went on it became apparent that he felt Soca was trini for soccer.
So I tried to explain that similar to reggae, soca is our music that evolved from calypso and soul, but unfortunately he did not really understand and said it would have been easier if we called ourselves the "calypso warriors". The Italians and the Scots were completely lost and eventually I gave up.
How do we change this perception before the world cup, is it necessary that we do ?
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Rotato Poti

• Hero Warrior
  • VIBES IT UP!!!
    • View Profile
    • ACB reloaded
Re: SOCA Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 11:58:55 PM »
yes ... I does still be correcting man who does be butchering Tobago and calling it "Toh Bag go"

After July .. everything will be "fete" and everybody will want to "lime"
watch ting!!

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 01:02:26 AM »
Just tell them Soca is another name for Calypso and Soca Warriors is catchier than Calypso Warriors. Easy like squeezy.

No, it's not necessary to change the name...

I am a Soca Warrior[/color]...Win or Lose I am a fighter[/size][/font]

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 07:57:53 AM »
It is a problem, but of our making. Thefact is most people don't know anything about Soca and moreso the association between our Warriors and Soca (our culture).
To correct the problerm would involve (proper) marketing before the WC; ad campaigns etc. This should be run by people like TIDCO, but I am not holding my breath. Since I have been here, I have never seen any promotions for T&T in the media or otherwise... I guess we feel that people should just magically know about us (like knowing how to pronounce Tobago, and where it is).
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 08:00:45 AM »
Thing is I eh really care if dey eh know now...dey will know soon enough...all 40 billion ah dem who go be watching we!

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 08:01:23 AM »
man never hear about the 'fusion' of eclectic music? soul and calypso. Talk done. If man too ignorant tuh understand, let dem do reserach and develop asense of awareness of who we are , our culture and our music. They sure will come to know about our football!!!!!

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 08:06:59 AM »
and I am sure that you are doing your part in Alberta to promote the culture!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 08:08:41 AM »
they will catch on soon enough....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>