March 28, 2024, 02:38:18 PM

Author Topic: Remedial School  (Read 15423 times)

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Remedial School
« on: November 20, 2005, 10:12:40 PM »
anybody think we should send them fellas on ah lil English Speaking course before the world cup

I listening to Theobald interview tonight and the man using words like "Onliest" amongst others

now how it go look them fellas reach Germany and ah man push ah camera infront he or some next warrior face and them kind ah words coming out

Scott Sealy could speak though

Més que un club.

truetrini

Re: Remedial School
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 10:15:24 PM »
hahahahaha we go be de onliest team dat does talk so

TrinInfinite

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 10:17:14 PM »
last time i remember ronaldo and dem speakin, dey wasnt a scholar in no way shape or form, im not sayin we have 2 b like dem, but we not dat bad, theobald need tuh keep it simple  ;D

Offline supaselectuh

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 10:18:16 PM »
not only the football team need speaking lessons....the track team need too

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 10:20:13 PM »
maybe ah go have to hold ah litlle class fuh dem boys dem..ah did ah good job with bahsimplybetter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 10:22:20 PM »
last time i remember ronaldo and dem speakin, dey wasnt a scholar in no way shape or form, im not sayin we have 2 b like dem, but we not dat bad, theobald need tuh keep it simple  ;D

yeah but them fellas first language is Portugese and some broken English so yuh cannot blame them if yuh hearing ah lil green verbs in between

our first language is english and then Ole Niggabonics
but them fellas speaking Ole Niggabonics better than English

Més que un club.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 10:23:15 PM »
Nutten wrong with man talking how dey does normally talk.
Dis is ah opportunity to expose de world to true trini culture, de way we does talk an all.
Allyuh ever here scotsmen talk? Or Geordies?

Let de men an dem shout it out.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline supaselectuh

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 10:29:06 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: @ niggabonics

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 10:48:36 PM »
Dis is ah opportunity to expose de world to true trini culture, de way we does talk an all.

onliest though ? ........de accent is ours to be proud of.....the slang and colourful ways of expression- cool to a certain extent............but words like onliest..........can't endorse that
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Girl Warrior

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 09:48:04 AM »

Speaking with the Trini accent is perfectly acceptable. We all should be proud of our accent, however bad english is a no no. Every language has its own colloquial words and phrases and it fine to use them with your countrymen, but to the rest of the world it would be confusing. Please don't condone our boys spitting green verbs and such in public
The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall... Che Guevara

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 09:54:13 AM »
they go sound like Chanderpaul in the Pespi commercial..

" The mange and dem call mih Tiger,l mih nah kno y?"
Everytime West Indies play a match... the hardest part to watch is when they interviewing the captains......
yuh jus prayin he don't talk for to long......

MickeyRat

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 09:55:58 AM »
Green Verbs..............using "big words" out on context.

Really and truly, them fellas go need some serious PR skills before they head to Germany.

Ah almost dead when I heard Dennis' interview ("I does that").  and fellas, doh get tie-up eh.  Dwight eh backawrd.  De English/Tobago accent does make him sound like ah Vincy.

Baal--Ball
Laads--Lads
Uman--Woman

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 09:59:43 AM »
Green Verbs..............using "big words" out on context.

Really and truly, them fellas go need some serious PR skills before they head to Germany.

Ah almost dead when I heard Dennis' interview ("I does that").  and fellas, doh get tie-up eh.  Dwight eh backawrd.  De English/Tobago accent does make him sound like ah Vincy.

Baal--Ball
Laads--Lads
Uman--Woman

Nah Nah Nah Dennis wasnt bad... I listen to de speech on i95.5 and he wasnt bad at all on Sky Sports de other night either....

..... but meh boy Whitley... oh Lordy.... Andre Baptiste had him on de phone.... an I swear Whitley say that Beenhakker training is de reason why he "just keep getting much more plenty bettah!"
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 10:02:01 AM »
For something as big as the WC I dont think it would hurt to bring in someone to give them a few lesson on conducting interviews.

MickeyRat

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 10:05:28 AM »
they go sound like Chanderpaul in the Pespi commercial..

" The mange and dem call mih Tiger,l mih nah kno y?"
Everytime West Indies play a match... the hardest part to watch is when they interviewing the captains......
yuh jus prayin he don't talk for to long......

Eh boy, that is good talk, Chanderpaul is de worst.  

Who hear de interview with Latas brother on 91.9?  De boy sound like them Slaves from de 1800's

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 10:07:03 AM »

Who hear de interview with Latas brother on 91.9?  De boy sound like them Slaves from de 1800's

lol :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 10:12:55 AM »
I didnt hear Whitley talk but we must admit that the skipper himself has come a long way from saying things like "World claths" and "Nathurally good".  If Dwight could improve himself, then I see no reason why some of the players cant do the same.

From the various interviews I have seen (not many) Shaka is very impressive, Tallest is not too bad, Stern could pass.

MickeyRat

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005, 10:14:28 AM »
I didnt hear Whitley talk but we must admit that the skipper himself has come a long way from saying things like "World claths" and "Nathurally good". If Dwight could improve himself, then I see no reason why some of the players cant do the same.

From the various interviews I have seen (not many) Shaka is very impressive, Tallest is not too bad, Stern could pass.

Shaka is a given, he fada was a Magistrate, so he had NO choice but not to embarrass he family.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005, 10:18:10 AM »
Men laughing, but this is serious thing.  Ah remember when Chanders gave that interview (it was against South Aftica in '98, right?).  Nothing is wrong with an accent, but when you are talking to the world and you're trying to communicate in standard english, you need to come good.  It's OK when you are among your own, but it really depends on the context that you're in.  Even our ministers and PM use the dialect for special effects, but they know when they need to be prim, and they definitely know how to turn it on.  Dem fellas need a crash course in media relations and public speaking.  They are representing the entire country and the Caribbean as an extension.  We don't want to be labelled as islanders speaking "cool pidgin english".

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2005, 10:21:01 AM »

Who hear de interview with Latas brother on 91.9?  De boy sound like them Slaves from de 1800's

u'll don't remember when chanders came with lara for the parade celebration after the 375 and the crowd ask him to speak, and was shouting 'speak, speak', d man come up and say 'tank u'...daz it, little did we know we he didn't want to reveal how bad he speaks. Imagine this is the captain of the W.I. eh...hmmm
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2005, 10:53:56 AM »
yeah dialect is one thing
and I doh thnk we sould lose that cause that is who defines us as a people
I doh really rate Yorke with that English accent cause Shaka they just as long and he eh lose his
that aside

Bad English is just something that cannot go on on the world stage
when them fellas open they mouth I does cringe at what might come out

I remember some months ago I see Junir Gong on 106 and park and I tell meh self boy, yuh know how them Jamaican does talk like they never went to school
and to my surprise the man is very well spoken
eloquent and answer everything to the point in he Jamaican accent

so if he could do it who is we

Més que un club.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 11:04:39 AM »

I doh really rate Yorke with that English accent cause Shaka they just as long and he eh lose his

Man Shaka bilingual.... yuh never hear de man on Sky Sports... is "guv'nor" "the gaffer" and "gor blimey" all kinda ting....

Then when he home is full trini accent.... plus he went Howard so he may be fluent in yankee too
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 11:09:06 AM »

Bad English is just something that cannot go on on the world stage
when them fellas open they mouth I does cringe at what might come out

I remember some months ago I see Junir Gong on 106 and park and I tell meh self boy, yuh know how them Jamaican does talk like they never went to school
and to my surprise the man is very well spoken
eloquent and answer everything to the point in he Jamaican accent

so if he could do it who is we

Allyuh men getting tie up like market crab oui.  

First things first, yuh hear who yuh say there?  Junior Gong.  Not Jah Cure or Sizzla, but Jr. Gong.  The man's father just happens to be a multi-millionaire whose estate even years after his death still makes millions in royalties and other payments on an anual basis.

You think Jr. Gong went any and every normal school?  Steups.  Is pure Private school them went.  All ah dem Marley kids.  My cousin from Ja. actually went to one of the most exclusive prive schools in Jamaica and was in class with one of the daughters of the one and only Mutabaruka.  Imagine that.  It eh have no more Earthsman than Muta, and his youths and them went big, exclusive private school.  So the way they speak obviously shows their upbringing.

Secondly I have absolutely NO problem with our dialect.  NONE WHATSOEVER.

These are the very arguments that there were in Jamaica when Louise Bennett started her stories and poetry in Jamaican patois.  Fight down in the earlies until they learn to love and respect their own way of talking/expressing themselves.

By the way, who really speaks the Queen's English?  Not the English.  Not the vast majority of them anyway.  I can assure you of that.  Neither do the Scottish, or worse yet, the Irish.  Do the Americans?  Nope.  What about the Austrailians?  Not them either.  So why the need for our players to speak standard English on camera?  Are you ashamed of how we speak?

The basic idea of speech is comunication.  To ensure that person A and person B can each understand the message that is being shared.  To the extent that this happens, regardless of "green verbs" or what have you, you have successful communication.

So if is so we is talk, let them fellas talk just so when they getting interview.  It eh have no shame in that atall.  

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2005, 12:58:41 PM »
If you want good english in a true trini accent, shaka will have to answer all the questions.
Ato was good when he was ready, but sometimes he used to buss a lil yankee for dem.
Lara and his robotic voice and improper English is painful to listen to.

Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2005, 01:01:00 PM »
..... but meh boy Whitley... oh Lordy.... Andre Baptiste had him on de phone.... an I swear Whitley say that Beenhakker training is de reason why he "just keep getting much more plenty bettah!"
  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2005, 01:01:42 PM »
Gotta disagree with you Jah Youth.  There are different varieties to the english language, but please note that when they speak well, regardless of the type of english they speak, they use proper verbs and adjectives.  Lets not get confused with the accent.  It's not about the accent, it's about the grammatical accuracy.  Patrick Manning and Panday speak with a noteable Trini accent, but they speak good english.  Imagine yuh Prime Minister addressing the UN and he say things such as "We does".  That ain't go work, and he might find it hard to command the respect of his counterparts.  It's politics, but sometimes you have to play the game. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 01:20:50 PM by Tenorsaw »

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2005, 01:13:43 PM »
valid point saw, ask anyone who makes a living by speaking.  i am a teacher here in the US and i communicate all my points very clearly to my students in a strong Trini accent.  i have no need to put on a freshwater accent because i speak clearly and correctly.

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2005, 01:22:36 PM »
valid point saw, ask anyone who makes a living by speaking.  i am a teacher here in the US and i communicate all my points very clearly to my students in a strong Trini accent.  i have no need to put on a freshwater accent because i speak clearly and correctly.

Fari, I agree......

We not debating the Accent, but rather the spoken English and using words that are NOT found in any dictionary. As a next amn say Manning and Panday have a Trini accent , however the know how to speak English.

I know Football is all about Talent, but when u talented microphones usually get thrust in your face and it would be good to sound semi-educated and not use "ONLIEST". Trust if you carry ypurself well, numerous doors will be opened.

I hope some of them get some English skills under they belt and keep the accent unlike Yorkie in the MALTA CARIB commercial. Two weeks on Trial and they go all be like Yorkie.........MALTA CARIB , naturally goood!!!

truetrini

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2005, 01:32:43 PM »

yeah what grade..I was a teacher too.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2005, 01:47:51 PM »
i teach college level spanish, you should hear the questions the students ask:   what language ya'll speak?    is trinidad in africa?      steupsssssssss

1]; } ?>