March 28, 2024, 10:23:51 AM

Author Topic: Remedial School  (Read 15419 times)

MickeyRat

Re: Remedial School
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2005, 01:53:06 PM »
i teach college level spanish, you should hear the questions the students ask: what language ya'll speak? is trinidad in africa? steupsssssssss

I remember congregating verbs in Secondary School and using the Vamos Amigos text.  Have you used this before?

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2005, 01:53:27 PM »
i teach college level spanish, you should hear the questions the students ask:   what language ya'll speak?    is trinidad in africa?      steupsssssssss

Doh worry Fari, come July, they will ALL KNOW where Trinidad and Tobago is !!!! FUEGO!!!  :flamethrower:
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2005, 01:59:46 PM »
i teach college level spanish, you should hear the questions the students ask:   what language ya'll speak?    is trinidad in africa?      steupsssssssss

Doh worry Fari, come July, they will ALL KNOW where Trinidad and Tobago is !!!! FUEGO!!!  :flamethrower:

Nah he teaching in de US... dey still eh go know
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2005, 01:59:58 PM »

well fari, your job is to educate them yuh cyar get vex wid dem. If yuh teaching here in the US den yuh should kno the type of educational backgrounds some of these kids coming from. When I was in college...many moons ago.. dey used to ask we if Trinidad have cars and if we live in trees or if we have houses. after de vexation subsided yuh realise nobody ever teach them bout places outside the US so dey doh kno much about other peoples especially ppl who look like dem.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2005, 02:09:42 PM »
dred-they still ask those those types of questions.  in undergrad ppl asked us those questions and we had to be polite and try and explain to them.  this country is so big ppl tend to be a bit provincial and not want to come out their comfort zone. ppl in one state dont know about the other state so how they will know about a dot in the ocean like TnT. but anyways, let me not stray from the topic.   

yes, i feel some of the footballers need some type of class to help them in deportment and public speaking.  they represent the country on the field and off so they always need to look, act and speak professionally

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2005, 02:55:04 PM »
ah hear all yuh, but this has nothing to do with football, it goes back to the educational system..if we teach..we learn..Football is life, but education makes life better.
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2005, 04:43:11 PM »
i teach college level spanish, you should hear the questions the students ask: what language ya'll speak? is trinidad in africa? steupsssssssss

I remember congregating verbs in Secondary School and using the Vamos Amigos text.  Have you used this before?

conjugate?
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2005, 04:45:18 PM »

conjugate?

Ah ent wha say nuttin, on this forum anything goes(ie my sentence)
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2005, 04:48:01 PM »

conjugate?

marocs,
yuh not easy..yuh know what de man mean.

Offline supaselectuh

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2005, 05:28:22 PM »
well shaka wasnt born here, and does talk more trini that dwight, but i think is from his howard experience and the constant liming with meh uncles

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2005, 11:44:41 PM »
So all you English teachers...

Our language, as colourful as it is with the way we WE speak, is substandard or unacceptable?

I refuse to believe that.  And no, it is not about the accent, that is not what I am referring to.  What I am saying is that as a people we have to be proud of how we speak.  Are Haitians appalled when their players speak creole as opposed to French?  And the example with Manning is not a good analogy.  These are two different professions.  I would not expect a national political leader to address the United Nations and speak Trinidadian dialect.  At the same time, however, I would not expect to see a national political leader to be running up Frederick street in a football pants and a vest with a pair of boots in his hand running to catch a taxi (as I would see with an athlete).  Meaning, two different professions, two different things.

So you are telling me that you would be ashamed if the following occurs in a Germany post game interview?

WC Reporter: So Mr. Whitley, what did you think about the T&T win tonight?

Aurtis Whitley: Well bossman, to tell yuh de truth, we had a real good game.  We start off real strong, just keep taking it to them, and get two nice goals.

WC Reporter: What can we expect from the next game versus world Champions Brazil on Saturday?

Aurtis Whitley: Well, we not afraid of nobody so we going and try to play we natural game.  Attack, attack, attack.  Confident and strong.  If we get a draw we happy.

Fellas, that is who we are.  All the English classes in the world cannot take that away.  And when we are in germany I want the fellas to be themselves, not who you or anyone else want them to be.  Short of profanity, express yourself Trini.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 11:47:34 PM by Jahyouth »

truetrini

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2005, 11:54:39 PM »

why yuh make dem poor verbs group up so?

wait nah yuh mean conjugating...ooops1

my bad I see is ah typo yuh make ent?

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2005, 11:59:17 PM »

So you are telling me that you would be ashamed if the following occurs in a Germany post game interview?

Aurtis Whitley: Well bossman, to tell yuh de truth, we had a real good game.  We start off real strong, just keep taking it to them, and get two nice goals.

WC Reporter: What can we expect from the next game versus world Champions Brazil on Saturday?

Aurtis Whitley: Well, we not afraid of nobody so we going and try to play we natural game.  Attack, attack, attack.  Confident and strong.  If we get a draw we happy.

horse
as bad as it may sound that would be a step up from how Theobald sound yesterday

Més que un club.

truetrini

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2005, 11:59:53 PM »

Our language, as colourful as it is with the way we WE speak, is substandard or unacceptable?

I refuse to believe that.  And no, it is not about the accent, that is not what I am referring to.  What I am saying is that as a people we have to be proud of how we speak.  Are Haitians appalled when their players speak creole as opposed to French?  And the example with Manning is not a good analogy.  These are two different professions.  I would not expect a national political leader to address the United Nations and speak Trinidadian dialect.  At the same time, however, I would not expect to see a national political leader to be running up Frederick street in a football pants and a vest with a pair of boots in his hand running to catch a taxi (as I would see with an athlete).  Meaning, two different professions, two different things.

Fellas, that is who we are.  All the English classes in the world cannot take that away.  And when we are in germany I want the fellas to be themselves, not who you or anyone else want them to be.  Short of profanity, express yourself Trini.

one quick question, why did you use such proprer english when making your point but used T&t vernacular when illusttrating a probable interview with Whitley?

But den again dat is who we is

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2005, 12:04:02 AM »

one quick question, why did you use such proprer english when making your point but used T&t vernacular when illusttrating a probable interview with Whitley?

But den again dat is who we is

I used Standard English to show yall that it eh no jackass talking and supporting the use of Trindadian dialect.  Is ah educated brother.

And Disgruntled, if that probable interview was alright to you although Whitley spoke in dialect, then the problem is not dialect, but Whitley.  See wha ah saying?

truetrini

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2005, 12:06:51 AM »
I still believe that we are taught in T&T to accept our vernacular but when communicationg with others or in a professional setting to use standard english.

i  do know however, that many non-trinis find it colorful and charming when we speak.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2005, 12:11:05 AM »
Dem boys make T&T proud playing football, they earning dey daily bread playing football, dey boning nuff woman because dey playing football so if dey cyar talk to a reporter to please allyuh .......... man allyuh eh easy.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2005, 12:16:36 AM »
I still believe that we are taught in T&T to accept our vernacular but when communicationg with others or in a professional setting to use standard english.

Actually no.  I think Trinidadian society has a long way to go before it truly "accepts" the use of our dialect.   It may very well be our British heritage.  For example, American presidents often speak "American" and not standard English in public and official settings and people are not appalled.  For example, George Bush's famous line: "We're gonna smoke 'em out!" when referring to the terrorists in the Middle East.  Let Manning go on TV and say: "We going an mash dem up" nah?  Hahahahahaha  people will have a field day ridiculing the man for not having spoken standard English.

So no, we do NOT truly accept the use of our dialect.  Not yet.  And until we stop thinking that it is inherently substandard to the so-called Queen's English, we will not get there either.

So allyuh cock up yuh foot, drink ah beer and relax nah.  Let them fellas express themself how they want.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 12:19:13 AM by Jahyouth »

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2005, 12:18:02 AM »
yeah Fishs (a word not in the Dictionary)

when we go they and we wash 2 or 3 side ass properly and they push the camera in ah man face and use the word onliest with ah couple million people watching I hope yuh could say well he does bone nuff gyal then

I hope yuh just as proud of Trinidad then as you are now.

Més que un club.

truetrini

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2005, 12:20:30 AM »
i disagree...our politicans use local talk all de time.   fatigue, old talk and de like is common place in T&T politics...have you ever attnded a political rally in T&T?

I understand your feelings regarding the way the players may speak, but saying dat is de way we does talk is not an excuse for lack of self improvement.

still, i will not be embarrassed if a player speaks with so-called green verbs etc.

because as you say, that is part of who we is.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2005, 12:21:26 AM »
yeah Fishs (a word not in the Dictionary)

when we go they and we wash 2 or 3 side ass properly and they push the camera in ah man face and use the word onliest with ah couple million people watching I hope yuh could say well he does bone nuff gyal then

I hope yuh just as proud of Trinidad then as you are now.

And why not?  Because they don't talk like Queen Elizabeth?  Steups...  you are a jackass if that make you less proud of your country.

truetrini

« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2005, 12:23:01 AM »
by the way, the way bush speaks is a source of fun and ridicule all the time in the usa..jes go tuh google and type Bushisms and get ah bellyful

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2005, 12:25:45 AM »
I understand your feelings regarding the way the players may speak, but saying dat is de way we does talk is not an excuse for lack of self improvement.

bossman, this is exactly what I am saying.  You see the word you just use: self improvement.  So talking like them makes you better as an individual?  I guess them French black players having the hair straight straight like Drogba is self improement too then cause they looking more like them?

Love yourself boss.  You well shakle.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2005, 12:28:05 AM »
This is my opinion:

The bottom line for me is, there are some people who just cannot speak proper english....some don't know how to pronounce words...some don't know how to carry on a proper conversation. Whether they are speaking to the President of a nation or their friends by the savannah, people should know the differences.

I would want to believe that we trinis have better common sense too know, when approached by a dignitary from another land or even our own not to speak him/her as if we around the savannah having a conversation after a game.  
e.g.

President: so Mr/Ms *** how was the game today ?
You: boy, dem f**kin ass and dem almost mash up dey f**king net with dat mudder c**t lash with de ball, ya aint' see it eh ?.

Do you honestly think the President will want to continue that conversation ?

Blame society, schooling or lack there of. Say to yourself 'oh the outside world love we accent and slang".  But the question is: Will you feel comfortable in the mist of dignitaries when asked a question in proper english ?

my 2 cents   :beermug:

as a newbie ah waiting to get meh arse chop down by de 4 kings in here.....i ain't calling name
but just remember, this red thing or rise in de morning.

cheers :beermug:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2005, 12:28:10 AM »
yeah I is ah jackarse for accepting the failures in we education system

yuh go know

when the "onliest" and "when we did went Bahrain" start to come in

nobody say we had to go and use words like henceforth and aforementioned but at the same time we could do a lil better that onliest
nothing eh wrong with out dialect and local colloquialisms here and there but we have to draw the line

Més que un club.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2005, 12:29:52 AM »
well look at that....i ain't get cuss yet.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2005, 12:32:41 AM »
This is my opinion:

The bottom line for me is, there are some people who just cannot speak proper english....some don't know how to pronounce words...some don't know how to carry on a proper conversation. Whether they are speaking to the President of a nation or their friends by the savannah, people should know the differences.

President: so Mr/Ms *** how was the game today ?
You: boy, dem f**kin ass and dem almost mash up dey f**king net with dat mudder c**t lash with de ball, ya aint' see it eh ?.

Do you honestly think the President will want to continue that conversation ?

yeah but yuh talking foolishness man.  Where all that cussing come from?  Didn't I say "short of profanity" dialect is fine in my opinion for the players to speak in an interview? 

Come with a stronger argument man.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2005, 12:37:47 AM »
Allyuh eh get mih point yet.
Fishs may not be a word, but who de f** k cares.
These men do not make their living by being interviewed and then having trini men who went to big school editing and criticising what they say.
So what if they can not speak how you want them to, who the f**k make you their speak angel?
These guys were not as prvileged as many of you who are criticising how they speak,
but instead of picking up guns and robbing they took their god given talent and not just make a living out of it but also had all of us jumping for joy.
So if you feel embarassed by how they speak, then you are prejudiced and should learn some lessons in humility.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2005, 12:38:25 AM »

bossman, this is exactly what I am saying.  You see the word you just use: self improvement.  So talking like them makes you better as an individual?  I guess them French black players having the hair straight straight like Drogba is self improement too then cause they looking more like them?

Love yourself boss.  You well shakle.

Some men takiing this totally out of context.  Drogba straightening his hair has nothing to do with being able to effectively communicate to others.   That might be a case of personal style or an inferiority complex (who knows?).  Fact is that our dialect is sort of like  a different language, and english is a common vehicle of expression that is used to communicate to the rest of the world, just like other people learn english if they speak another language.  Why? Because english is considered as the language that allows others of different nationalities, etc., to have a common means of expression.  

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2005, 12:41:02 AM »
Allyuh eh get mih point yet.
Fishs may not be a word, but who de f** k cares.
These men do not make their living by being interviewed and then having trini men who went to big school editing and criticising what they say.
So what if they can not speak how you want them to, who the f**k make you their speak angel?
These guys were not as prvileged as many of you who are criticising how they speak,
but instead of picking up guns and robbing they took their god given talent and not just make a living out of it but also had all of us jumping for joy.
So if you feel embarassed by how they speak, then you are prejudiced and should learn some lessons in humility.

:applause:  Well said.

1]; } ?>