March 28, 2024, 02:06:44 PM

Author Topic: Remedial School  (Read 15422 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Remedial School
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2005, 04:44:53 PM »

wish someone could explain why fellas  doh understand that 'the more yuh learn is de more yuh realize is de less yuh know'.... this lil idea goes a long way to building humbleness...  then people could also grasp this concept.... education is relative because as well educated as some of us are in this forum we pale intellectually to others with whom we engage... so the idea of thinking that breddas should speak better to represent trinidad is moot because in someone's eyes somewhere we ourselves fall short... but i'll bet that idea seems really foreign.... better we say dem fellas should practice free kick an' corners ( related to football) rather than buck up on their shakespeare..... ah never know formal education stood by itself; de way i know it is yuh respect de knowledge any man bring to de table and yuh use dat knowledge to achieve a goal, an who could help good... who just stand at de side an' criticize... well, not so good...  :chilling:

blah blah blah blah...

let's stop putting people on pedistals undeservedly............We talkin' about our footballers' ability to communicate. All that cultural talk is just fluff that is straying from the point........

Bottom line is there's nothing wrong with trying to improve all aspects of oneself........communication skill is just one such aspect.........and it is no secret that many of our boys lack the exposure and training and hence have a lot of room for improvement in their communication skills.

That is what the thread is all about.....at least that is what I thought.

We need to stop hiding behind this ethno-centricity to find excuses..... and just admit to our weaknesses for a change. We don't live in a world by ourselves, and we don't rule the world either......We should be humble and strive to be the best at whatever we do......communication included.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 04:47:18 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline greenpea

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2005, 04:57:21 PM »
What people may/may not realize is that we all have our strengths and weaknesses... if those with superior english speaking ( very different from communication skills) skills can pontificate on  those with less skills then it must be fair that those with superior soccer skills should be afforded the same luxury. seems fair but a dotish solution... we should respect and embrace rather than ridicule and criticize.... ah know this is a hard concept to grasp but spending a lot of time getting a formal education, and speaking well does not make one a better person, nor does it guarantee a happy life. Therefore i submit that those who want de boys to speak better are indulging in an exercise of vanity (not to mention futility).... doh worry dey wouldn't shame yuh... yuh crisp...  :chilling:

Offline supaselectuh

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2005, 05:05:28 PM »

When a man is educated he will do his best to communicate to an international audience in a manner they can all understand.

Jahyouth read that line over!!!

yuh really think an internationl audience will understand what them fellas saying
yuh done know the closeminded already and feel we swinging from trees and we eh have no roads and thing
I think it will auger well if we can at least speak properly and communicate well with an international audience

That is soo true, and they focus so much on the accent, that they don't even understand when we do speak english, so you end up repeating yourself...... >:(
Like my mother says, there is a time and place for everything.....I love my dialect and use it when I home, but I know if I am giving a presentation, I cannot go up there and say
Aye meh boy, wahis the real scenes here, well today nah, ah going and present somtin to allyuh nah

Offline Ball Ho fuh life

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2005, 05:07:17 PM »
man, bottom line is even ole niggas in de NBA does take lil remedial lessons.  ah remember Iverson sayin' he takin' lil lessons so he eh go say ting like 'Yuh kn'a mean!'  like a man say 'how it go look?'  HOWEVER, NONE CAN BEAT BACK CLAUDE NOEL WHEN HE LOSE DE TITLE TUH DONNIE LALONDE.  "CLAUDE THIS IS YOUR FIRST DEFENSE AND YOU HAVE LOST YOUR TITLE.  WHAT HAPPENED OUT THERE?" Claude's response: "ALL I KNOW IS A GET CUFF REAL HARD!"  now dat is keepin' it real!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2005, 05:11:02 PM »
What people may/may not realize is that we all have our strengths and weaknesses... if those with superior english speaking ( very different from communication skills) skills can pontificate on  those with less skills then it must be fair that those with superior soccer skills should be afforded the same luxury. seems fair but a dotish solution... we should respect and embrace rather than ridicule and criticize.... ah know this is a hard concept to grasp but spending a lot of time getting a formal education, and speaking well does not make one a better person, nor does it guarantee a happy life. Therefore i submit that those who want de boys to speak better are indulging in an exercise of vanity (not to mention futility).... doh worry dey wouldn't shame yuh... yuh crisp...  :chilling:

one of our weaknesses is communication. forget vanity, forget formal education, forget ridicule..........based on interviews that I've heard, some of our boys lack communication skills........and there's nothing wrong with trying to improve that.........end of story.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 05:17:51 PM by kicker »

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2005, 05:17:50 PM »
men only bringing up this word culture

How d arse you want other people to accept and appreciate our culture if they doh understand wha the ass yuh saying

yuh must be able to say well the reason we do this is because of this and this is tradition and as been derived from this

all yuh only studying football which is the real reson we they but you going and meet people from all walks of life and if you want them to apreciate we culture and get a better understanding of Trinidad and not be seen as ah set ah people wearing loin clothes then we need to do a lil better than onliest

leh we be real we eh going and win no world cup so we need to maximize our oppoutunities in Germany
 football, cultural and otherwise so I think communcation with others and giving a proper representation of Trinidad is a must

Més que un club.

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2005, 05:21:59 PM »
I just want to say that i thoroughly enjoyed reading this entire post. Fellas in here know how to debate in a colourful trini style, issues and new ideas that most of us don't usually get to tank about amongst friends. Allyuh allowin men to "keep their roots" no matter wher they are in the world. Blessings breddas........
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline greenpea

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2005, 05:26:45 PM »

one of our weaknesses is communication. forget vanity, forget formal education, forget ridicule..........based on what I've heard, some of our boys lack communication skills........and there's nothing wrong with trying to improve that.........end of story.

if communication is a weakness then something really wrong because is african, italian, french, german and dialects galore we going to bounce up in germany.... japanese, arabic.... so somebody trying to say we'll embarrass ourselves in this ..... please, is party, football, beer an pan. people thinking real myopic (ah not callin names)...

if i'm a businessman ah need to make presentations, do the suits get de latest powerpoint addins/software. Ah doh need that to run ball for 90 min.... yea ah need to be able to answer questions but i think de boys capable. if people really want to know about TNT dey do a google search. (we ent backward)

Ethnicity/race: East Indian (a local term—primarily immigrants from northern India) 40.3%, black 39.5%, mixed 18.4%, white 0.6%, Chinese and other 1.2%

Religions: Roman Catholic 29.4%, Hindu 23.8%, Anglican 10.9%, Islam 5.8%, Presbyterian 3.4%, other 26.7%

Literacy rate: 99% (2003 est.)

we cyah use our values and paradigms an say them fellas should take remidial classes or they need to beef up on communication skills... they doing what they do best..... :chilling:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2005, 05:34:25 PM »
[quote author=greenpea link=topic=7897.msg66910#msg66910

if communication is a weakness then something really wrong because is african, italian, french, german and dialects galore we going to bounce up in germany.... japanese, arabic....

exactly
yuh now prove meh point
look how much people going and be there and we need to go and communicate with all of them
and how we going to do that if we cannot even speak our own language properly?

Més que un club.

Offline greenpea

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2005, 05:34:37 PM »
trinidad is my land , of which i am proud and glad,
tan, tan
an ah cyah understand, why some people does talk it bad
dar, dar, dar
some ah them jus running dey mouth,
doh know what dey talking bout,
boy de ting dey does say bout here,
is really too much for me to bear....   :chilling:

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2005, 05:39:32 PM »
tan, tan
dar, dar, dar
is really too much for me to bear....   :chilling:

you misunderstand everything I say yes

but I go join in with yuh

Our sugar and oil is very refined
you see firends this is ah real king Solomon mine

Més que un club.

Offline greenpea

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2005, 05:45:18 PM »
[quote author=greenpea link=topic=7897.msg66910#msg66910

if communication is a weakness then something really wrong because is african, italian, french, german and dialects galore we going to bounce up in germany.... japanese, arabic....

exactly
yuh now prove meh point
look how much people going and be there and we need to go and communicate with all of them
and how we going to do that if we cannot even speak our own language properly?

but sir.... OUR own language is an english dialect.... an anyting dem boy say i could understand... thank god dey break biche an skip de occasional english class to play some football...

when ah was youngh ah work in de oilfields... plenty expatriates running golf course an' making exclusive club. none ah we thought them ting was right... when the expat gone an' we take over what yuh think happen... we run ting de same way.... (for those who don't get it... people bad talk the dialect etc till we feel is a bad ting... now we doing de same ting... we downcrying our stuff ..... aye, love yuhself, understand what going on here.... doh matter who talk good or bad we have to be there for each other... all ah we is trini to de bone...) ....... :chilling:

Offline greenpea

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2005, 05:47:46 PM »
tan, tan
dar, dar, dar

you misunderstand everything I say yes

but I go join in with yuh

Our sugar and oil is very refined
you see firends this is ah real king Solomon mine

total respect...   :chilling:

Offline nobody_s angel

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2005, 06:16:07 PM »
Some people are missing the point here. Most of these almost all of these players passed through our secondary school system and the last time I checked they taught English. Not Trinidad dialect.

So the problem started from there. What they failed to learn is showing up now. Yes they are talented but as was rightfully stated they are ambassadors. So it is not as if they are choosing to use the green verbs and say words like ONLIEST it is just that they do not know better.

It is not a choice. Some people here could choose to speak well or choose not too. Some People have no choice that is all they know.

It is up to us to show the future Whitleys and Lawrences that you could be talented with a ball and talented with a book too.

Do not try to make this debate about the type of Language you speak, beit trini or the Queen's English, it is about the fact that they went through five years of Secondary school English and still using words - IN AN INTERVIEW -  LIKE ONLIEST

If it were acceptable why did Dwight Improve his English note I said improve his English and  not himself. If you believe that doing one is doing then next, well that is a different debate altogether. In the meantime I am all for the classes.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2005, 06:43:52 PM »
tan, tan
dar, dar, dar

Patriotism is great, but when it blinds you to demands of the global society that we live in.....you only end up hurting the same country that you love, by living in ignorance and retarding your own development.........eatin' shark and bake and wining down to the ground, and knowing how to cut a coconut doesn't not give you a competitive advantage outside of your own country.......because every country has a rich culture, history, traditions, a unique society, and unique practices.......

I'm not ashamed of the Trini dialect one bit...and I have no problem if our boys use Trini slangs and show some of the colour of our language to the world if they get interviewed...(yuh never know, some of the slangs might pick up worldwide).....but when yuh can't construct a proper sentence, and can't use the correct form of a verb, that's nothing to be proud of......That's not the characteristics of Trinidad that I would boast of.......Not knowing how to communicate effectively GLOBALLY is not what T&T stands for.....It's probably not a big deal in the whole scheme of things though so I won't get carried away....... It's one thing to pardon it, but don't act like it's an added value.....it's not.

The first step to improvement and development is recognizing areas that need development. If you listen to many of our athletes speak and determine that there is no need for any of them to improve their communication skills, then you're living in ignorance or just being hard headed for the sake of a good argument on the forum.......
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 06:57:17 PM by kicker »

Offline supaselectuh

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2005, 06:47:37 PM »
tan, tan
dar, dar, dar

Patriotism is great, but when it blinds you to demands of the global society that we live in.....you only end up hurting the same country that you love, by living in ignorance and retarding your own development.........eatin' shark and bake and wining down to the ground, and knowing how to cut a coconut doesn not give you a competitive advantage outside of your own country.......because every country has a rich culture, history, traditions, society, and unique practices.......

I'm not ashamed of the Trini dialect one bit...and I have no problem if our boys use Trini slangs and show some of the colour of our language to the world if they get interviewed...(yuh never know, some of the slangs might pick up worldwide).....but when yuh can't construct a proper sentence, and can't use the correct form of a verb, that's nothing to be proud of......That's not the characteristics of Trinidad that I would boast of.......Not knowing how to communicate effectively GLOBALLY is not what T&T stands for.....It's probably not a big deal in the whole scheme of things though. It's one thing to pardon it, but don't act like it's an added value.....it's not.

The first step to improvement and development is recognizing areas that need development. If you listen to many of our athletes speak and determine that there is no need for any of them to improve their communication skills, then you're living in ignorance or just being hard headed for the sake of a good argument on the forum.......

:applause:  :applause:  :applause:  :applause:

you ever hear darrel brown speak..... :-\

Offline greenpea

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2005, 07:08:50 PM »
now we talking....

1) five years in secondary school and now some remedial school may help???? let's say we schedule a couple courses in basic english between now and June '06... How do we quantify the improvement in say three identified breddas. Crash course in the english reader or de students companion... or say we just ban anybody from using onliest... I understand what dat mean... de man communicating... de problem may lie in de level of communication deemed acceptable by de communication police... which last time i checked could only use that education and communication crutch to make demselves seem important in their own eyes... i repeat if a man say onliest in french, german, japanese, arabic most of us would be quite indifferent .... he does not embarrass his country or demean its education system. Anyone who supports this is in fact simply trying to maintain a status quo... ie. this is the way it should be...

2) if anyone really listened to the dialects in England you would swear some of them were foreign languages.... how yuh think Jamaican, Bajan and Trini sound so different. This starting to sound like wind up toys ..... proper english = good communication.... small point people may overlook---- clearly proper english didn't get us to de world cup.... more like blood, sweat and tears...  :chilling:

Offline greenpea

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2005, 07:18:57 PM »
maybe ah should start ah new topic... diversity and inclusion training for TNT fans..... it seems we (sadly) need it more than our soccer players need remedial training....  :chilling:

Offline greenpea

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2005, 07:26:39 PM »
anybody think we should send them fellas on ah lil English Speaking course before the world cup

I listening to Theobald interview tonight and the man using words like "Onliest" amongst others
now how it go look them fellas reach Germany and ah man push ah camera infront he or some next warrior face and them kind ah words coming out

onliest though ? ........de accent is ours to be proud of.....the slang and colourful ways of expression- cool to a certain extent............but words like onliest.......... can't endorse that

Do not try to make this debate about the type of Language you speak, beit trini or the Queen's English, it is about the fact that they went through five years of Secondary school English and still using words - IN AN INTERVIEW -  LIKE ONLIEST

Bredda leh we clear this up......

From google search,

Main Entry:   Alone
Part of Speech:   adjective 1
Definition:   separate
Synonyms:   abandoned, apart, batching it, by itself, companionless, deserted, desolate, detached, forlorn, forsaken, friendless, hermit, in solitary, individual, isolated, lone, lonely, lonesome, onliest, only, shag, single, sole, solitary, solo, stag, traveling light, unaccompanied, unaided, unassisted, unattached, unattended, unescorted, unmarried, widowed
Antonyms:   accompanied, crowded, grouped, mobbed, together
Source:   Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
Copyright © 2005 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :chilling:
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 07:51:45 PM by greenpea »

Offline greenpea

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2005, 07:35:32 PM »
I honestly had no idea that onliest was a word but it just goes to show that there is a thin line between acceptable and unacceptable.... our role is to accept our players with their weaknesses in education and help them where possible..... buh that hold for every Trini everywhere .... root theme is respecting the knowledge that everyone has.... kinda like de fable with de lion and de mouse....  :chilling:

truetrini

« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2005, 08:02:19 PM »
I am not saying that the men are stupid!

I am saying thatregardless of who you are, what you do, you need to seek self improvement.

If that comes in the form of a beeter command of English, then go ahead.

If it comes in the form of motivation...go ahead.

My signature is:  Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.

So you cannot tell me about the joys and pains of learning.
If one of those boys were to break his knee tomorrow I hope he has enough money to earn a living similar to what he is currently earning.

Because I would not hire him to write a report for me.

That is the value of a formal education.

I can guarantee that greenpea will NEVER trade whatever formal education he has ..never!

Offline greenpea

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2005, 08:10:23 PM »
I am saying that regardless of who you are, what you do, you need to seek self improvement.

Have to agree wholeheartedly with this ... no ifs, buts/ ands ... :chilling:

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2005, 11:22:45 PM »
Ah back at this again.
Obviously there is a misunderstanding of the thread, and I apologise if I did.
If we are saying that the guys have to improve their communication skills as part of their growth, then I fully agree. However Dwigth, Stern, Latapy and Lara did not become as articulate or improve their speech overnight.
So we have to face the fact that the younger less exposed players in the team will speak how they know to.
There is not enough time from now to the end of Trinidad's involvement in the WC to fix this and to my mind it is secondary, between now and then football should be the only thing these guys need to improve.
So I reiterate, if yuh feel embarrassed by how dem boys speak, then turn off the volume !!!
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline greenpea

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2005, 08:47:39 AM »
tan, tan
dar, dar, dar

Patriotism is great, but when it blinds you to demands of the global society that we live in.....you only end up hurting the same country that you love, by living in ignorance and retarding your own development.........eatin' shark and bake and wining down to the ground, and knowing how to cut a coconut doesn't not give you a competitive advantage outside of your own country.......because every country has a rich culture, history, traditions, a unique society, and unique practices.......

My apoligies aforehand to slights unintended and unforeseen...  :chilling:

Aside: On the question of competitive advantages,

1. Some advantages are quicker to translate into jobs and cashflow. A good education is pretty obvious here but its not the only competitive advantage we take from living in TNT. Just being exposed to the diversity in our country is a HUGE COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE, intangibles like tolerance and tangibles like exposure to roti and shark & bake are advantages that we have ----- with a lil' entreupreneurial impetus we can engage in a multitude of pursuits. Understand that having a competitive advantage is not the same as being able to actually use it since that falls on the individual himself.

2. I'll fight to the end if someone tell me wining is not a competitive advantage.... yuh know how dey talk bout snake oil and ball bearing in yuh waist... dey have use fuh dat too.... on top ah dat trinis basically friendly .... ah jus' keeping it real...

3. As for de demands of a global society... consider a basic law in physics... for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction... (take mih word on it)... so for every wannabe executive (with blinders) who immerses himself into the rat race there's somebody with burnout who's trying to get out. what many percieve to be a 'demand' is usually a self sustained and insatiable desire to 'get ahead'.... funny though, cause  life is a zero sum game since we all come in with nothing and we all die with nothing.

4. This may or may not be relevant but consider Birchall.... prior to qualification it was implied that he used the phrase "me mum" a lot... i don't have a problem with that .... buh guess what, it seemed nobody else had a problem with that either... go figure....  :chilling:

1]; } ?>