April 27, 2024, 01:27:44 AM

Author Topic: Is Roberto Carlos really the best left back in Brazil?  (Read 4125 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Is Roberto Carlos really the best left back in Brazil?
« on: November 21, 2005, 05:45:08 PM »
I not asking this because of his poor performance against Barcelona. Personally I find the man is a boss. But this season, from what I have seen Brazil's 2 best left backs don't even get a call up to the national team.

To me, based on form, Sylvinho from Barcelona (even though he missed the Madrid game) and Serginho at Milan are having stellar seasons. Serginhois finally holding down the starting spot I always felt he deserved amd Sylvinhyo has always been fantastic since his days at Arsenal,a nd frankly I find him much better than Gio van Bronkhorst. Even if you disagree that they are better than R. Carlos..aren't they better than Gustavo Nery? Anyone agree?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 06:02:24 PM by Tallman »

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Is Roberto Carlos really the best.....
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 05:47:46 PM »
I haven't seen Silvinho play much, but I think Serginho could give the present Roberto Carlos a good run for his money. Brazil should give him the recall he deserves.  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 05:51:15 PM »
Is Roberto Carlos really the best.........left back in Brazil?

No.  But he will more than likely start in WC 2006
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 06:02:38 PM »
Silvinho had a great stint at Arsenal, until he departed when the passport fiasco broke out.  At one point, the then coach of Brazil stopped calling Roberto Carlos, instead prefering Silvinho.  I always though he was tight up there with Roberto Carlos.  One thing about Roberto Carlos though:  He runs for 90 mins, up and down that flank.  I like Silvinho, and I think his image took a slight fall after he left Arsenal, and people sort of forgot about him.  Now, he's coming back to public recognition, and I think he should  be considered for Germany.

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Is Roberto Carlos really the best left back in Brazil?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 06:05:10 PM »
Slyvinho is great,but d present man to replace Carlos is  Leo who plays with Benfica
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 06:08:13 PM »
Is Roberto Carlos really the best.........left back in Brazil?

No.  But he will more than likely start in WC 2006

who's better at lb
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 06:36:43 PM »
I've never liked Roberto Carlos. I always thought he was overrated. Not that the man is not extremely good but the kind of pips he used to get I always thought it was unwarranted.  He never impress as a defender. In attack he has probably been the Left full back of his time. Put Roberto Carlos on a team who's strength is not attack and he'll look ordinary. I prefer Sylvinho anyday over him

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 07:08:47 PM »
I like Roberto Carlos when he is attacking, but I prefer Sylvinho, especially fuh defending.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 07:44:41 PM »
Cicinho.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 07:51:20 PM »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 10:25:17 PM »
Cicinho.

Isn't he a right wing back?

Yeah Cicinho is the successor de great Cafu.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 10:34:22 PM »
Silvinho had a great stint at Arsenal, until he departed when the passport fiasco broke out.  At one point, the then coach of Brazil stopped calling Roberto Carlos, instead prefering Silvinho.  I always though he was tight up there with Roberto Carlos.  One thing about Roberto Carlos though:  He runs for 90 mins, up and down that flank.  I like Silvinho, and I think his image took a slight fall after he left Arsenal, and people sort of forgot about him.  Now, he's coming back to public recognition, and I think he should  be considered for Germany.

Was Sylvinho part of the passport scandal....I remember Edu definitely get catch. I always thought that Sylvinho lost his place because there was one too many non EU players at Arsenal and with Ashley Cole showing great promise they decided they would let go Sylvinho and fill the other non-EU spots in different positions where they were weaker.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 10:57:36 PM »
Though Roberto Carlos was made to look very ordinary on Sat yuh cyah deny the man talents.

He is one of the fittest men it have even at his age and when Real were firing on all cylinders 3 or 4 years ago the man added that extra dimension.

His mazing runs up the left and link up play with Zizou was great he use to play some nice one touch balls to Raul to.

But Real defense is shit and the team is not what it once was so he looking rather shitty as of late. The man had to come and cover them fellas who couldnt mark Ronaldinho and he and all get burn.

Més que un club.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 12:58:07 AM »
Cicinho.

Was Sylvinho part of the passport scandal....I remember Edu definitely get catch. I always thought that Sylvinho lost his place because there was one too many non EU players at Arsenal and with Ashley Cole showing great promise they decided they would let go Sylvinho and fill the other non-EU spots in different positions where they were weaker.

Filho, the rumor through the mill was that Arsenal let him go as soon as they smelt the rat. SHortly afterwards, SIlvinho was tied to that fiasco afterwards too.

And Cincinho is the heir apparent to Cafu.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 07:40:30 AM »
Cicinho.

Filho, the rumor through the mill was that Arsenal let him go as soon as they smelt the rat. SHortly afterwards, SIlvinho was tied to that fiasco afterwards too.

And Cincinho is the heir apparent to Cafu.

thnnx bredda. i always was perplexed why they let such a boss player (and fan favorite) ride so easy and hush hush

Offline Teflon Don

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 07:42:32 AM »
R CARLOS IS A BOSS but he cah defend for shit...despite that he is the best left back in brazil...but i sure carlos edwards could fix him  :rotfl:

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 07:52:54 AM »
Roberto is a work horse, had a bad game against Barca,  but the breakdown in that game was on the right side of the defence.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 08:51:18 AM »
Serginho playin real ball for years now, I think he could get a look if RCarlos is in poor form
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Redditch Valiant

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 09:11:01 AM »
Silvinho is a better full back, Roberto Carlos is better in midfield  ;D
Proud to be an honorary "Trinbagonian"
GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!! GO TnT!!!

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 09:17:36 AM »

i would definitely give it to carlos..

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 09:50:58 AM »
 Three quality players, one position...Slyvinho is a better defender but as an all-round player Carlos is better and more effective....

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 02:59:20 PM »
but why is Gustavo Nery getting a look before dese fellas?
I doh think Nery is anything special. Even Gilberto who played in the Confederation's Cup is in the frame...and he is not better than either Sylvinho or Serginho?
It hadda be an age thing. Or did these fellas fail when they got their chance...

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2005, 04:47:59 PM »
Doesn't Serginho play left midfield?  I haven't seen him play much and the few times I saw him he played in midfield.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2005, 04:50:19 PM »
nah serg does real control a left back
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2005, 05:37:16 PM »
sylvinho is very good
better than roberto in my opinion
offers alot both ways

1]; } ?>