April 29, 2024, 03:33:22 AM

Author Topic: Right full back/wingback  (Read 781 times)

Offline ironman

• Full Warrior
  • dont joke with u life
    • View Profile
Right full back/wingback
« on: November 22, 2005, 07:22:22 AM »
Yesterday I posted that I think our best option at right back is Carlos Edwards,Once we get a midfielder that can tuck in to create the channel for him to overlap Spann,Birchall,Josh Johnson,the following is Souness on Wayne Bridge.
From teamtalk
Magpies keen to lure Bridge

Newcastle boss Graeme Souness has dropped a strong hint that he is ready to move for out-of-favour Chelsea left-back Wayne Bridge in January.

The Magpies manager attempted to recruit the England defender on a season-long loan deal in August but had his request rebuffed by Blues counterpart Jose Mourinho.

But having refused to abandon his interest in the 25-year-old, Souness is understood to have raised the subject again with Mourinho following Saturday's 3-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge.

The United boss confirmed his interest in the player in September, admitting: "I tried to get him in on loan, it's an area we felt we could strengthen but Chelsea said he wasn't available. He's a modern full-back. All the modern full-backs were once wingers. I had him as a young boy at Southampton and he was a winger."
Souness is also reportedly interested in Gareth Barry, but with Aston Villa in no mood to sell the versatile star, Souness believes he has more chance of luring Bridge away from south-west London.

Bridge has played just 60 minutes of first-team football this season after recovering from a serious ankle injury in the summer, having lost his place in the side to £8m summer recruit Asier Del Horno.

He has been warned by Sven-Goran Eriksson that he will need to be playing regular first-team football if he wants to cement his place in England's World Cup squad.

And with little chance of seeing regular action at Chelsea, Bridge may feel the time is right to seek pastures new - providing Souness can persuade Mourinho to sanction his departure.

Souness has already admitted that he is keen to strengthen in January, although having spent £50m this year, the size of his transfer kitty is uncertain.

Chelsea paid £7m for Bridge in the summer of 2003 and, although the transfer market has changed markedly since then, an initial loan deal could still be the best option for Souness.

tell them it was me

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Right full back/wingback
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 08:53:01 AM »
only one small problem,
Souness is a jack@$$
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Right full back/wingback
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 09:55:00 AM »
 I would like to see Edwards at wingback but then who will fill the wing position

1]; } ?>