April 27, 2024, 02:43:02 PM

Author Topic: Reggae vs Soca  (Read 7728 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Reggae vs Soca
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2005, 05:05:42 PM »

By RF own's admission JA's team is not "match ready", they just lost badly to Aus and we've been winning our last few game, why can we not win against JA regardless of venue?

I'm not saying that we can't beat them at both venues. I'm just one of the few Trinis who is still maintaining a humble (maybe overly harsh) outlook on where our team is in terms of quality and preparation. We still have a long way to go, and I think Jamaica at full strength is a good test to start with. We have come a long way in a short space of time, but in our home and away matches with Bahrain, I've seen nothing to suggest that we've become 5 goals better than Jamaica. None of our games in the Hex did we win by more than 2 goals (in fact we only won one by more than 1 goal).......and we beat Bahrain by one goal on aggregate......so in reality I doubt that we'd beat Jamaica by 5 clear goals.......Am I being unreasonable ?

Based on what I've seen, and not getting carried with the recent Euphoria, a win at home and a tie in Jamaica is a reasonable expectation from our boys.....and hence alot of improvement is still needed before we hit the World stage..........If we don't think that we need to improve, we won't improve, and if we don't improve we've wasted time and effort getting to this point.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2005, 05:08:40 PM »
JA & TNT are most likely to play around may in London

isn't there more Trinis living in NYC than in London, why would it be in London??
mmmm? wasnt TNT going to play JA in May at West Ham? Doesnt matter about numbers plus UK is more football orientated most Trinis here are going to be watching football unlike US.. plus the organisation of the Unity Cup. Nothing like that in US. Who paying Trinidad to go US? no-one
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 05:14:15 PM by Futbol »

Offline Ball Ho fuh life

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2005, 05:13:33 PM »
not fuh nutten an' ah have plenty Jamaican padna an' ting!  but, all de same "WE AFI BEAT DEM BLOOD CLOT!'

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2005, 06:27:54 PM »

By RF own's admission JA's team is not "match ready", they just lost badly to Aus and we've been winning our last few game, why can we not win against JA regardless of venue?

I'm not saying that we can't beat them at both venues. I'm just one of the few Trinis who is still maintaining a humble (maybe overly harsh) outlook on where our team is in terms of quality and preparation. We still have a long way to go, and I think Jamaica at full strength is a good test to start with. We have come a long way in a short space of time, but in our home and away matches with Bahrain, I've seen nothing to suggest that we've become 5 goals better than Jamaica. None of our games in the Hex did we win by more than 2 goals (in fact we only won one by more than 1 goal).......and we beat Bahrain by one goal on aggregate......so in reality I doubt that we'd beat Jamaica by 5 clear goals.......Am I being unreasonable ?

Based on what I've seen, and not getting carried with the recent Euphoria, a win at home and a tie in Jamaica is a reasonable expectation from our boys.....and hence alot of improvement is still needed before we hit the World stage..........If we don't think that we need to improve, we won't improve, and if we don't improve we've wasted time and effort getting to this point.

I'm certainly not saying that Trini is 5 goals better than JA. I don't think that we've ever beaten them by 5 goals or them us by 5, but given the recent history of both teams I don't think it's unreasonable or overly confident to say that we can beat them at any venue.

Also RF, using the Copa Caribe is a very poor measure to back up your arguments. Who even played in that tourny??
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2005, 08:28:15 AM »

I'm certainly not saying that Trini is 5 goals better than JA. I don't think that we've ever beaten them by 5 goals or them us by 5, but given the recent history of both teams I don't think it's unreasonable or overly confident to say that we can beat them at any venue.

Also RF, using the Copa Caribe is a very poor measure to back up your arguments. Who even played in that tourny??

Absolutely not using the Copa Caribe to prove my point, just brought it up simply because it was the last game played between both nations. Anyway, the bigger picture here is that Trinidad needs to play a number of games before Germany. I'd say at least 8 games vs top rated opponents, and about 6 of those games should be played away. How long has it been since Beenhakker took over the program? Simoes was with Jamaica for a full 3 years prior to our World Cup qualification, and he had 80% of the squad (the entire back-line and 3 out of the 5 midfield squad players) working with continuously during that time.  The difference here of course is that  a number of the T&T players are seasoned professionals (most of the Jamaica team was amateur when we qualified). The Journey has just begun, and while the fans and players will bask in the glory for some time yet, at some point, everyone will put heads down and focus on the job at hand. Looking at all the teams that have qualified so far, I hate to admit, but it seems on paper, Tinidad might in fact be looked at by many of the teams as one of the weaker teams (We already hearing teams like Uruguay strat picking on T&T). Keep in mind that Russell Latapy, a very KEY player in Trinidads push over the last few games, will not be able to go the full 90 minutes at this level when the world cup kicks off (intesnity is way higher than what youd get playing against Bahrain or Panama). I'm sure th coaching staff and the player himself is aware of this. So the key, is to start devising a plan, an dplaying the friendly games to fine tune th plan. Beenhakker is capable though.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 08:33:56 AM by Reggaefan »

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2005, 08:37:30 AM »
not fuh nutten an' ah have plenty Jamaican padna an' ting!  but, all de same "WE AFI BEAT DEM BLOOD CLOT!'

Well, there was that 6-1 result for Jamaica after world cup qulaification. But that was a "fete" match.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2005, 08:51:23 AM »

We on the same page Pointman............the 5 goals talk was in response to Bally's gun talk  ;D....A win at home and a draw away is just my conservative prediction at this point........
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2005, 09:02:53 AM »
Yeh like Futbol said Trinidad v Jamaica will most likely be at Loftus Road or upton park in london but i dont think leo will waste a fifa calendar date on jamaica we have nothing to gain. but if its a unity cup or somting in london then it will make sense because alot of the players are in the uk anyway plus it will sell out.

And yeh RF ya right, any team from the caribbean will always be seen as easy pickings, but i feel trinidad will be goin to the world cup more prepared than jamaica. trinidad have been waiting since 73 wen we were robbed. i think teams taking us for joke will play to our advantage.as long as we dont get into a groups with 1 of the big teams that arnt seeded theres a decent chance we can make it out of the group. we just have to play more intelligantly. we give the ball away in midfield far too much and against a big team u will get punished. but im som1 who has always believed in trinidad and i honestly feel we will suprise som people.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 10:19:29 AM by Tallman »

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2005, 10:52:55 AM »
Yeh like Futbol said Trinidad v Jamaica will most likely be at Loftus Road or upton park in london but i dont think leo will waste a fifa calendar date on jamaica we have nothing to gain. but if its a unity cup or somting in london then it will make sense because alot of the players are in the uk anyway plus it will sell out.

And yeh RF ya right, any team from the caribbean will always be seen as easy pickings, but i feel trinidad will be goin to the world cup more prepared than jamaica. trinidad have been waiting since 73 wen we were robbed. i think teams taking us for joke will play to our advantage.as long as we dont get into a groups with 1 of the big teams that arnt seeded theres a decent chance we can make it out of the group. we just have to play more intelligantly. we give the ball away in midfield far too much and against a big team u will get punished. but im som1 who has always believed in trinidad and i honestly feel we will suprise som people.

Well, at the moment, I wouldnt look to make it out of teh group as the main aim.I'd say, start out by aiming first to avoid conceding goals everytime youtake the field. second objective is to at least score one goal in every game, while still trying to avoid being scored on. If anything, the weakest asian team you could be grouped with is better than Bahrain, so T&T will need to improve from now until the finals. So you are saying that the T&T team right now is ready for the quarterfinal rounds of the world cup? I dont believe so! Alot of work still needs to be done! The fact that yo uhave been waiting since 1973 doesnt make you ready for teh tournament today. I think the younger players in teh squad, the Kenwyn Jones, Birchall, Whitley etc are the players who are going to do the brunt of teh work in the world cup. Defence is perhaps the most critical part that needs to be tightened up for next year. In tournament situations, defence is key. So men like Sancho, Dog, and Lawrence must be drilled effectively by then.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 11:01:47 AM by Reggaefan »

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2005, 11:13:56 AM »
Make no mistake about it, if we go into the WC playing that kinda defense we plaing over the years, we will concedede embarassingly.
We might be in line for a double digit rout.
I aint trying to shit up meh own team, but defense is our major weakness, always has been.
If Bahrain was a quality team, we woulda get purge real bad.
We have to stop the lapses in concentration in the back, where all of a sudden, u does see an attacker with nobody around him.
We have to stop the two men going for the same ball syndrome.
We have to stop letting the ball bounce in and around the area.
We have to stop the goalkeeping errors.
We have to stop the shaky passes in the back.
We have to stop the mistraps (rememebr Ince mistrap backpass vs Canada in 2000 and also Air Dog mistrap in the second pass of the game vs Bahrain in POS).
We have to stop the ball watching.
We have to stop the midfield getting caught napping and 2 or 3 on 2 situations in the back.

Unless we start doing them thing, we cannot even begin to think of winning a game in Germany.
We will be playing teams with the kinda quality we have barely played before (Mexico and the US to an extent, at full strength).

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2005, 11:32:39 AM »
The only reason for entering the WC is to win it, period. Having said that is T&T's likely to do so, NO. However to go into the tournment with the mind set of simply not concedeing goals is a recipe for failure. We absoutely have to sureup the defense and we absoutely have to stay focused for 90 mins, but we also have to attack and try to win games and get to the second round. Cornell Glen has to geh ah sweat!

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2005, 11:58:49 AM »
Would have been good to see how Jamaica matched up agaianst Bahrain. If anything,  a positive result would have sent a resounding message to FIFA that that half spot should go in full to CONCACAF rather than us sharing it with Asia. Then again, they did beat Panama 5-0.

RF, I am curious about this last comment you made. TnT did get a positive result from Bahrain, so by your logic, did we not send that same message you were referring to, to FIFA? Or are you implying that a positive result by Jamaica holds more water than a positive TnT result?
I am just trying to understand your message because sometimes your means are not clear in your posts.
No attack intended
well yes

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2005, 12:00:02 PM »
The only reason for entering the WC is to win it, period. Having said that is T&T's likely to do so, NO. However to go into the tournment with the mind set of simply not concedeing goals is a recipe for failure. We absoutely have to sureup the defense and we absoutely have to stay focused for 90 mins, but we also have to attack and try to win games and get to the second round. Cornell Glen has to geh ah sweat!

I think you didnt read the entire post. Any decent coach will tell you that your first aim in a tournament game is to avoid conceding. They will also tell you that your second aim should be to score at least once. Do that, and 3 points is yours. do it in all 3 games, thats 9 points in the bag.  Compare that with going into these games with an all out attack mindset. You may end up scoring twice every game, but you could also end up conceding 3 in each game as well, resulting in 0 points, and a negative goal difference. The Thiery Hery's and Franseco Tottis of this world loves to play against attack minded teams, believe me.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2005, 12:02:13 PM »
Would have been good to see how Jamaica matched up agaianst Bahrain. If anything,  a positive result would have sent a resounding message to FIFA that that half spot should go in full to CONCACAF rather than us sharing it with Asia. Then again, they did beat Panama 5-0.

RF, I am curious about this last comment you made. TnT did get a positive result from Bahrain, so by your logic, did we not send that same message you were referring to, to FIFA? Or are you implying that a positive result by Jamaica holds more water than a positive TnT result?
I am just trying to understand your message because sometimes your means are not clear in your posts.
No attack intended

Nope, I'm saying that a positive result by CONCACAF team that got knocked out of the Hex ages ago, against an Asian team still in th running for a world cup berth, would make CONCACAF look good (In addition to T&T knocking them off). Sorry if I confused you there

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2005, 12:56:29 PM »

I think you didnt read the entire post. Any decent coach will tell you that your first aim in a tournament game is to avoid conceding. They will also tell you that your second aim should be to score at least once. Do that, and 3 points is yours. do it in all 3 games, thats 9 points in the bag.  Compare that with going into these games with an all out attack mindset. You may end up scoring twice every game, but you could also end up conceding 3 in each game as well, resulting in 0 points, and a negative goal difference. The Thiery Hery's and Franseco Tottis of this world loves to play against attack minded teams, believe me.

fair enough

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2005, 03:44:39 PM »
You guys are funny.

TnT is to be congratulated on a wonderful achievement, but fans need to keep it real. TnT did not waltz into the WCup. Like Jam before them, they qualified by the thiest of margins.

It will be a baptism of fire in the WCup.

I recall the unreasonable expectations of Jakans in 1998, and Argentina and Croatia showed us what big time ball was about.

Thank God we were able to get that first WCup win against Japan. How amny years before S Korea got a win the the WCup????

If TnT comes out with a win, I will be very elated.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2005, 04:28:19 PM »

and it will be a reall good match between the two biggest football islands in the caribbean.

Sorry but the two biggest football islands in de Caribbean are Trinidad followed closely by Tobago.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2005, 04:34:15 PM »
You guys are funny.

TnT is to be congratulated on a wonderful achievement, but fans need to keep it real. TnT did not waltz into the WCup. Like Jam before them, they qualified by the thiest of margins.

I recall the unreasonable expectations of Jakans in 1998, and Argentina and Croatia showed us what big time ball was about.

Thank God we were able to get that first WCup win against Japan. How amny years before S Korea got a win the the WCup????

So Willi, Trini can't duplicate what Senegal did? Before WC 2002 started my Senegalese neighbors(some young ladies) were assuring me that Senegal would beat France and I just dismissed it as nationalistic pride, I mean how could a first time African nation dispatch with such a tremendous and accomplished France team. Well as they say, "the rest is history" .
I don't know who we will draw in our group but it's certainly not unrealistic to think that we can go to the second round with examples such as Senegal, Cameroun and Nigeria.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2005, 05:49:42 PM »
You guys are funny.

So Willi, Trini can't duplicate what Senegal did? Before WC 2002 started my Senegalese neighbors(some young ladies) were assuring me that Senegal would beat France and I just dismissed it as nationalistic pride, I mean how could a first time African nation dispatch with such a tremendous and accomplished France team. Well as they say, "the rest is history" .
I don't know who we will draw in our group but it's certainly not unrealistic to think that we can go to the second round with examples such as Senegal, Cameroun and Nigeria.

Not likely...the Senegalese starters were all top division players in France before WC2002. They did not come out of nowhere...they just weren't flashy/household names. Sorry, but we do not have a similar team to Senegal, Cameroun or Nigeria of the past. Not even close. I remain optimistic that we will improve and give a good account of ourselves, but to be honest, we have a long long way to go. Drawing 1-1 against an absolute shit team like Bahrain in TnT is the perfect reminder that we eh reach yet. And we cyah make no excuses..we still capable of those kinda performances (it was not that long ago). Making the 2nd round for TnT is not impossible...but we not at the same level as dem other 'cinderalla' teams. But let us be patient and see how the WC preparation goes.....our boys have defied all the odds so far, who knows

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2005, 06:21:29 PM »
You guys are funny.

Not likely...the Senegalese starters were all top division players in France before WC2002. They did not come out of nowhere...they just weren't flashy/household names. Sorry, but we do not have a similar team to Senegal, Cameroun or Nigeria of the past. Not even close. I remain optimistic that we will improve and give a good account of ourselves, but to be honest, we have a long long way to go. Drawing 1-1 against an absolute shit team like Bahrain in TnT is the perfect reminder that we eh reach yet. And we cyah make no excuses..we still capable of those kinda performances (it was not that long ago). Making the 2nd round for TnT is not impossible...but we not at the same level as dem other 'cinderalla' teams. But let us be patient and see how the WC preparation goes.....our boys have defied all the odds so far, who knows

well, let's see shall we.

Offline ladywarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2005, 06:27:48 PM »
 I think anywhere this game would be great.
 Play the game in NY ... Here's why... You could generate a lot of money from the islanders living abroad.  We don't get to see the teams nearly as much. I would pay a lot to see that game and maybe some of the money
 could be put back in the individual programs.

I was at the US game in Hartford Connecticut and the number of Trinis that came out made me very very proud and they were partying after even though we lost... throw the homesick foreigners a bone! and make some money too!  Advertise it well in advance and you can have bus trips from DC and Boston as well as the Southern States to fill the stadium. It's really cheap to fly to NY from Miami if you book in advance.
The only thing to fear is fear itself.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2005, 07:48:07 PM »
You guys are funny.

well, let's see shall we.

exactly

truetrini

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2005, 08:32:53 PM »
allyuh tizic

I eh want to play jamaica....I want to play anodder WC team.

and jes making de dance is great, not being embarrassed is ah bonus

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2007, 03:35:27 PM »
Sorry to bring this back but I have to I could see us selling out giant stadium with the right promotion we could sell it out radio advertising flyers and a couple off artist in New York grantee they make money     
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2007, 03:38:42 PM »
Sorry to bring this back but I have to I could see us selling out giant stadium with the right promotion we could sell it out radio advertising flyers and a couple off artist in New York grantee they make money     
that idea sounding good.  :beermug:
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline banton

• Hero Warrior
  • football in meh veins football in meh blood
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeWOxnWoXKI
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2007, 04:02:25 PM »
SOCA all the way  :wavetowel:
football in meh veins football in meh blood

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2007, 04:28:14 PM »

So what are you waiting for?

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2007, 04:31:09 PM »
for you :o :o :o
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2007, 06:37:27 PM »
for you :o :o :o

You gonna be waiting a real long time Bally  ;D

Bally 2120 still waiting for is Reggae V Soca Dream at the Giants stadium

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2007, 07:28:20 PM »
JA & TNT are most likely to play around may in London

isn't there more Trinis living in NYC than in London, why would it be in London??

cuz that's where most of the T&T and JA overseas players are. They would not have far to travel and that would suit their clubs and make such a game more of a possibility if it is played during the season Plus the number of Trinis and Jamaicans (and other caribbean folk) in the UK is more than enough to pull a large boisterous crowd.

1]; } ?>