April 26, 2024, 03:21:38 AM

Author Topic: best intercol team .........  (Read 35213 times)

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: best intercol team .........
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2006, 02:52:49 PM »
St. Augustine 1981. Win League and intercol that year. With Garth Pollonais scoring 20 goals that year. That was team.

Offline *~*steph*~*

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2006, 06:46:53 PM »
naps is ah bes team buh they take all dey players on transfer.....they take alot from inter!!only dinaka(10) i tink pass for dey...buh they team badd
NaPaRiMa FoR lYfE !!bUn DeM pReZ mEn

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2006, 08:34:00 PM »
St. Augustine 1981. Win League and intercol that year. With Garth Pollonais scoring 20 goals that year. That was team.

Eh, wey yuh know about Garth Pollonai, yuh read meh post under another thread nah. Just joking mey boi, but fuh real, nuff men forget about Garth. Unbelievable goal scoring ability.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2006, 09:19:37 PM »
De best intercol team in T&T history was Dom Basil Matthews St Benedicts under Brunner.

Warren Archibald
Steve David
Leo De Leon

was just some of de men on dah team.

Dem fellas was schoolboys and comprise more dan half of de senior mens National team.  T&T may never see the likes again...EVER.  I mehself never see dem when dey was in school....I was too young dem times but dem fellas turn out to be some a de best footballers T&T ever produce.

Others worth mentionin...

Sando Tech wit Spann and Peter Mitchell (yuh see Observer..ah gi yuh boy he props) and again later on wit Latas and Leonson

St Anthony's wit Kenwyne and dem

Malik wit Dwarika, Whitley, Lawrence and co

But nobody ever come close and more dan likely will never come close to dat Benedicts team.

Ah know it have plenty on dis forum mus be askin Warren who? etc  but allyuh need to know where yuh come from before yuh could know where yuh goin.  Is not now T&T playin football.

With all due respect palos ...the Brunner team might have stretched the age limit a bit ....All under 19 ??? I dont think so !

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2006, 09:47:31 PM »
De best intercol team in T&T history was Dom Basil Matthews St Benedicts under Brunner.

Warren Archibald
Steve David
Leo De Leon

was just some of de men on dah team.

Dem fellas was schoolboys and comprise more dan half of de senior mens National team.  T&T may never see the likes again...EVER.  I mehself never see dem when dey was in school....I was too young dem times but dem fellas turn out to be some a de best footballers T&T ever produce.

Others worth mentionin...

Sando Tech wit Spann and Peter Mitchell (yuh see Observer..ah gi yuh boy he props) and again later on wit Latas and Leonson

St Anthony's wit Kenwyne and dem

Malik wit Dwarika, Whitley, Lawrence and co

But nobody ever come close and more dan likely will never come close to dat Benedicts team.

Ah know it have plenty on dis forum mus be askin Warren who? etc  but allyuh need to know where yuh come from before yuh could know where yuh goin.  Is not now T&T playin football.

With all due respect palos ...the Brunner team might have stretched the age limit a bit ....All under 19 ??? I dont think so !

well palos I wasnt around them times but my neighbour who went Benedicts in those days told me about that side. I think he told me that Jan Steadman was on that side too.

Doh mind I'm a Saints man I have nuff love for benedicts as most of the south bredrens and my brother played there.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2006, 09:48:15 PM »
Allyuh men eh easy nuh. dem fatima man bashin' we QRC tradition because dey get lucky last year against mucorapo. Every generation will always have its debates against other generations, but the one thing that slippin' allyuh men wisdom is the fact that, every team will rule the roost at some point in history, for some period of time, no matter how big a period, or how small a period. PERIOD!! Tranquil was runnin' tings in de 70's until Clauzelle and Mucorapo came and had the Biggest impact on Inter-Col that I have ever experienced (and he only played TWO SEASONS for Compre!) but in my opinion, that was the BEST team that I ever saw play even though John-D break meh heart in de oval and beat dem in the North Zone final ( I wasn't goin QRC yet) I even give props to the Brian Netto days of Fatima that beat a real good Tranquil side on CIC grounds that boasted a great 'keeper in Richard Hood leading their defence. Then along came the "Green Machine" then San Juan and Arima then Sando Tech and El Dorado and each of these teams at one point or another was "the team to beat" but overall the football was GREAT!! I am not trying to bash these two teams, but fatima-mucorapo last year was a poorly played game in a practically empty stadium. that was a shame.
 Men talkin' about how back in de days, people was takin' "O" levels 12 times and ting......like men eh doin dat NOW! Isn't Kenwyne Jones from Tobago? How he end up playin' fuh St. Anthony's? :whistling: Dat school pullin' "Tigers" from all over de planet to play fuh dem (we might even see a Siberian Tiger run out in dey colours one day and all!!) and I eh sure they even goin' there for communion. Don't feel bad, "Tiger" fans, Downer used to do the same thing in the 80's at St. Augustine........among many other schools.

I have to say that us "older heads" don't necessarily offer our opinions on blind loyalty to our generation. We don't have to. I missed all of the football from the late 80's and beyond, but having played with Kona, Mousie, Grimes and a host of other men from THAT time I can honestly say that these were great players. But having "endured" the Fatima-Mucorapo North Zone final at the stadium...........well, I hope that game is not a barometer of the standard throughout the nation. If so, Inter-col in trouble!!

is unfair to imply that kenwyn did olevels 12 times...u sound relatively intelligent...so if u wud jus calculate his age..and d length of time he left school...

I could see how the structure of the sentence you emboldened may lead one the feel that I was implicating KJ for having taken "O" levels 12 times, padnah, but that is not what I was trying to do, so my apologies if that is what it projects.  I was really pointing out that St. Anthony's is the current day St. Augustine (of MY time) where players are just being brought in to the school for the sake of football.  I think that the true spirit of Inter-Col was intended to be for students who were actually matriculated into their respective schools and then played football represented their schools accordingly.  I think that the biggest difference between the Green Machine and St. Anthony's MIGHT be that these tigers just might actually attend classes, but it's no secret that they recruit and "import" players for the sole purpose of playing football for the school.........but more and more schools are becoming guilty of that nowadays.
     I might also add that the allegations of men repeating "O" levels numerous times for the sake of playing might be a bit skewed, since a man have until he isa 19 to play football for any school and, how many people have been in form 5 at age 15?  PLENTY!  that could possibly give a man 3-4 years of ellegibility, not so?

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2006, 06:55:05 AM »
Allyuh young boys ain't have a clue wha allyuh talking bout. Intercol since 1985 has been heading steadily downhill. Teams were older, bigger, better back in de day. When John D and Sando Tech get throw out and dey start clamping down on man repeating 3 and 4 times, de football change. Couple top players on a team doh make dat team great. Compre 77, 78; St. Augustine 81, Sando Tech 85, signall hill, el dorado 86 was de last set of powerhouse teams. College ball in de 90's on is like wha u-16 used to be like back in de day.

These kind ah responses does real get on mih nerves. How you expect us to "know what we talking bout" when you can't find any trace of all these mythical matches and players anywhere?

As far as i concerned the point of this thread was for everyone to make reference to their personal memories. Not all of we was born in the age of dinosaurs where unscrupulous principals used to let big hardback men sit O and A levels just for the sake of having a good football team.

Whats the point of it all if none of these powerhouse players (Latapy and then Dwight excepted) never make it on the international scene?

As such we will continue to talk about our pissing tail teams of the 90's even those that never win ah thing but just make up an integral part of our growing experience, and we don't really give a damn if the older heads continue to shake from side to side incredulously at our ignorance...

Mr. Midknight, thanks for this. From Standard 5 to my last year in Trinidad I was taking in Intercol matches, and my favourite teams are indeed those 'pissing tail teams of the 90s;' I remember being torn between supporting Pres (the school next door, and the one attended by my brother/father/cousins) and Naps (our 'brother' school, and the one attended by most of my liming partners), being equally awed by men like DeVo and McKnight and Sean "Super Indian" Siloch, laughing at Hoyte's antics on the field ("see Hoyte run / run Hoyte run"), crying my eyes out when Naps lost to Scarborough in 2000, running from various incidents of bottle pelting in Skinner Park...

If we don't have a clue what we talking about, it's because we have no frame of reference. We might not know our history, but it is not through a lack of trying. There is a general culture of short-termism in Trinidad, both the cause and consequence of a wider and appalling lack of historical awareness. This board is one of the few sources of footballing history; let us not alienate those of us who do want to know by making us feel that we 'shoulda know better' in the first place. Many of us are here to learn - but for that to work, those who know must be willing to teach.
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 13, 2006, 07:27:15 AM »

Eh, wey yuh know about Garth Pollonai, yuh read meh post under another thread nah. Just joking mey boi, but fuh real, nuff men forget about Garth. Unbelievable goal scoring ability.

shithound that use to play for upstars in the eddie hart league ;D

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 13, 2006, 11:59:25 AM »

a good team but they thief fatima Garth score a goal when he was offside by miles downer buy that trophy  :devil:

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 13, 2006, 12:53:09 PM »
Kenwyne Jones from Tobago? How he end up playin' fuh St. Anthony's?

Ever since Grosvenor walk in dey and bring in Carlos Edwards and a few others, from dat year forward is mostly imports dat was ruling de roost at St. Anthony's.

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2006, 01:52:35 PM »

Nah man Saga, ah know yuh probably joking, but Garth use tuh put dat ball in de net man, de boi was gifted at doing dat.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline deltatau14

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2006, 02:52:57 PM »

Sorry there my youth...QRC side in 68 went through the whole season unbeaten and had a record for least goals conceded or somethign so and the 91 side under Roderick Warner lose 2 games for the season...the first game of the year 4-3 up WestMoorings where St. Anthony's was our bogey side, and then the last game the Big 8 final against CIC(with gally coaching them) where they injure star striker Jeremy Shortt and beat us 2-1. That side was going to win everything that year but the intercol final get call off cause the next semi between arima and benedicts get call off because a war break out between them schools. That 91 side beat Dwarika Malick, Trotman's Arima, Kevin Jeffries Eldo (Stern was probably around in them days too and nobody knew him yet)...real good sides that year.

Sooo...QRC has seen many good teams through the years prior to those 2. Even the team the year before the 97 side, with Hector Sam, Vlady, white boy Martin was real good but is either Glasgow or Irasto Knights was the difference btwn them winnign the north zone and some theifing in Tobago allow Signal hill to beat them in the semis for both national titles

Ah see dat side play.
Ah remeber ah intercol game in de stadium ah tink it was against Malick.
Shortt run down de right side , cross de ball, Keno Maso blast onetime,
ball come off de crossbay guess who tuck it in ... Jeremy Shortt.
De man had rell rell pace.

Wasnt Kevin Leacock keepin for de side you talking about, cause if so thats one of de baddest keepers around that time, all de more reason for that squad to bear the title of bomb squad, travis mulraine was on that squad too

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2006, 06:53:37 PM »

Nah man Saga, ah know yuh probably joking, but Garth use tuh put dat ball in de net man, de boi was gifted at doing dat.

Alright ah give him that one,he really use to find the back ah the net..............

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2006, 09:35:39 AM »

Alright ah give him that one,he really use to find the back ah the net..............
I know about both him and Hyron Best(Jamaal Shabaaz) because I played on that team.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2006, 01:54:20 PM »
79-83 was an awesome period for St. Augustine football.

In addition to those mentioned was another fella by the name of Durity.

Ah believe he may have been offered a schol. but ddn't get it because he lacked the grades.

Strange nobody seems to mention him when talking about that era.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2006, 02:27:16 PM »

I know about both him and Hyron Best(Jamaal Shabaaz) because I played on that team.

Well if dat is true, yuh should be ah pretty good player, cuz dat team, even de bench was strong. Ah was wid Corneal (youth) coaching school fuh a lil bit, and a few ah dem gustine men was on de senior team. A cud be wrong, but ah think Garth use tuh be over dey 2.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2006, 03:06:37 PM »

Well if dat is true, yuh should be ah pretty good player, cuz dat team, even de bench was strong. Ah was wid Corneal (youth) coaching school fuh a lil bit, and a few ah dem gustine men was on de senior team. A cud be wrong, but ah think Garth use tuh be over dey 2.

SUPA u an ALCONS alum? So you could handle yuhself with 2 touch football then.
Garth coulda real shoot had a real quick release snapshot hard and low. nippy player not too much dancing but good control fake and hit.
I forget Dhanoolal he wasn't a bad player nice touches

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2006, 03:46:28 PM »

Garth coulda real shoot had a real quick release snapshot hard and low. nippy player not too much dancing but good control fake and hit.

Yes KING, dat is all de boss does want (2 touch), when yuh in he camp. Ah not in Garth class doh, but ah cud still hold it down. Yes, yes yes, and ah think he first name was Anthony (Dhanoolal), big player 2, from de machine. Like ah said before, there are few more names out dey, dat was big players at de machine. Remember dem days, Downer and de coach Kenny(ah think dat was de coach name), dey had ah system in place, wey only big ball players use tuh get repeat, so yuh know gustine always had top players in dem days. Ah have some desent knowledge about Gustine, cuz ah had some sessions with Alcons at de machine grounds and UWI, and nuff Gustine men use tuh be at ALCONS, yeah ah remember wey dey use tuh want yuh make about 50 laps around de Savannah, lawd ah thought ah would ah dead. Ah think we boi Stern John (ELDO), was ah ALCONS man 2.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2006, 03:50:59 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2006, 06:03:24 PM »

yeah no doubt 1 good thing about alcons was that 2 touch if yuh can't play that yuh dead in training
circle up and doh let it split
actually stern start off as a youth under eddie hart in upstarts
me ain't no big anton fan but i did like Marlon Charles he was a good coach coulda handle heself on the field too
good times

Yes KING, dat is all de boss does want (2 touch), when yuh in he camp. Ah not in Garth class doh, but ah cud still hold it down. Yes, yes yes, and ah think he first name was Anthony (Dhanoolal), big player 2, from de machine. Like ah said before, there are few more names out dey, dat was big players at de machine. Remember dem days, Downer and de coach Kenny(ah think dat was de coach name), dey had ah system in place, wey only big ball players use tuh get repeat, so yuh know gustine always had top players in dem days. Ah have some desent knowledge about Gustine, cuz ah had some sessions with Alcons at de machine grounds and UWI, and nuff Gustine men use tuh be at ALCONS, yeah ah remember wey dey use tuh want yuh make about 50 laps around de Savannah, lawd ah thought ah would ah dead. Ah think we boi Stern John (ELDO), was ah ALCONS man 2.

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2006, 09:17:17 AM »
Yeah, I was an Alcons man also. I think Alcons served it's purpose for all concerned if you know what I mean. You learned some good football and if you were observant who learned about smartmen too. I think  Durity's first name was Hyron. But I'm not sure.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2006, 10:51:51 AM »
when yuh say  smartmen yuh sure right.  had some good fellas Marlon Charles real good coach.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2006, 02:51:41 PM »
when yuh say  smartmen yuh sure right.  had some good fellas Marlon Charles real good coach.

Now I second that,he's meh good buddy we play some ball together,back in the early 80's....... 

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2006, 03:14:07 PM »

Now I second that,he's meh good buddy we play some ball together,back in the early 80's....... 

Quiet modest fella nice player 1st touch real good
Saga I always wondered what school Marlon went to Do u know?

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 15, 2006, 08:51:07 PM »

Quiet modest fella nice player 1st touch real good
Saga I always wondered what school Marlon went to Do u know?

I know he used to teach at eldo,but ah trying to remember what school he went to.......... 

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2006, 03:41:39 AM »
Yeah, I was an Alcons man also. I think Alcons served it's purpose for all concerned if you know what I mean. You learned some good football and if you were observant who learned about smartmen too. I think  Durity's first name was Hyron. But I'm not sure.

I thought it was Hyron too but I wasn't sure. Thanks.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2006, 06:46:38 AM »

I thought it was Hyron too but I wasn't sure. Thanks.

VB

There were two hyrons that played with alcons and gustine:durity & best........

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2010, 10:40:13 AM »
Ah bet allyuh didn't know Travis Sobers (QRC) and Marlon Asher who sing Ganja Farmer related. Marlon Asher real name is Marlon Sobers and he is Travis uncle. Travis mother (Ann Marie) is Marlon biggest sister.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2010, 04:45:47 PM »
League or knockout or both?

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2010, 09:16:06 PM »

What is greatest intercol jump up yuh ever experience?

John D vs Fatima score 3-3 '76

Rell pan on de streets after.
Belmont fifth demension
Even Starlift sen ah small side
1979...this is arguably one of the most memorable intercol games ever. John D losing 3-0 with less than 10 minutes left and the come back to tie 3-3. Fans stormed the field (CIC Ground) and mas start; the overtime could not be played so the game was rescheduled for the Oval. This was game 2 of the trilogy... JD won the first game 2-0 in the Oval, but Fatima protested that the ref played 45 minutes in the first half instead of 40 and JD scored somewhere  between the 40-45 min mark. Fatima won the third game 1-0 I believe.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2010, 05:47:56 AM »

What is greatest intercol jump up yuh ever experience?

John D vs Fatima score 3-3 '76

Rell pan on de streets after.
Belmont fifth demension
Even Starlift sen ah small side
1979...this is arguably one of the most memorable intercol games ever. John D losing 3-0 with less than 10 minutes left and the come back to tie 3-3. Fans stormed the field (CIC Ground) and mas start; the overtime could not be played so the game was rescheduled for the Oval. This was game 2 of the trilogy... JD won the first game 2-0 in the Oval, but Fatima protested that the ref played 45 minutes in the first half instead of 40 and JD scored somewhere  between the 40-45 min mark. Fatima won the third game 1-0 I believe.

Two boss team back in those days with Fatima having the likes of anton,garnet craig,graham rodriguez,ramdoo brothers,and I think ronald coo was that year also I could be wrong and John D with the cumberbatch brothers,my neighbor lester paris(excellent sprinter)  and I think meh boi Sugars was on that team.

That was football boi!!! 

1]; } ?>