April 25, 2024, 03:53:38 PM

Author Topic: AWOL Jack saves Dens Park career  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
AWOL Jack saves Dens Park career
« on: November 21, 2005, 10:18:30 AM »
BBC SPORT / DUNDEE

Awol Jack saves Dens Park career

Dundee goalkeeper Kelvin Jack will not be sacked after missing Saturday's league game after arriving home late from Trinidad & Tobago duty.
International team-mates arrived in time to turn out for Falkirk, Rangers and St Johnstone.

Dundee player-boss Alan Kernaghan told BBC Sport he has now accepted that the player had tried hard to arrive back in time for the match against Ross County.

But, while his apology was accepted, Jack is likely to be fined by the club.

Trinidad & Tobago won 1-0 in Bahrain last Wednesday to qualify for the World Cup finals in Germany.

Falkirk's Russell Latapy, Rangers' Marvin Andrews and St Johnstone's Jason Scotland all made it back to Scotland in time to play for their clubs on Saturday.

But Kernaghan had to throw 17-year-old Scott Murray into the Dundee side as they lost 3-0 to County.

Kernaghan had earlier said: "What I know is that his flight was delayed and he missed the connection to Inverness, but he should have been back earlier."

The manager, who had also suggested that Jack appeared not to care about the predicament he put his club in, called Jack to a meeting on Monday morning.

And Kernaghan now says that the matter has been dealt with internally under Dundee's disciplinary code.

He stressed that sacking the goalkeeper had not been an option given as Dundee have only Jack and youngster Murray available, with Derek Soutar currently injured.

Jack joined Dundee after a spell with Reading, having previously played with CL Financial, San Juan Jabloteh, Vibe CT 105, W Connection and Doc's Khelwalaas.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 10:21:35 AM by Jayerson »

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: AWOL Jack saves Dens Park career
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 10:20:19 AM »
Jack, you in control. Doh worry breds.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 10:20:55 AM »
WELL FINE HIM NAH ;D ;D ;D ;D

i know jack and he iz ah tru trini he aint go business bout ah little fine. on de phone de man say i iz ah world cup goalkeeper ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 10:22:45 AM »
That like yuh party in coconuts and get home drunk and miss yuh 8am class, only to find out yuh had an impromptu exam on that day.

Or u go amnesia fete and reach home 1am on Monday morning, but yuh miss work that day and yuh was so drunk, yuh could eneven rememebr that yuh boss see yuh in the fete the evening before...

In 4 weeks time, everything is everything!

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 10:24:58 AM »
It's not about a fine u know guys....it's the lack of professionalism shown. Especially since you know that they only have one other keeper who is a 17 year old.

Ok, granted you've made it to the WC, your club allowed the opportunity, at least respect your employer enough to get back on time for the game...Shaka, Dwight and Latas showed such professionalism this time aounrd.

The were forced for put the 17 year old in goal and had no one on the bench..... :-\
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 10:33:55 AM »
If the government really did summon our players to come back to Trinidad for a celebration, they should incur the cost of the fines our players recieve for missing games this weekend.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 10:35:02 AM »
I think players should be more responsible that what Kelvin Jack and a few others did. These are the people that employ you and pay your wages. More players should have taken Yorke and Latapy's lead and head back to help put your team. If you get permission from your manager fine but to leave your club team suffering like that is not professional at all. Australia celebrated also but their players were back in England and Italy to play for their clubs.

Remember if our players are not playing regulalry for their clubs, they will not be fit and in good form come June '06 and we will be the ones losing out. Kelvin Jack has the opportunity to play professional football at a decent level and get more experience. Lets face it, he has a lot to learn and has a long way to go before he can be considered a very good far less a world class goalkeeper.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 10:42:24 AM »
They've been advised not to follow Dwight and Latas's lead ;D ;D
Dey were told to do de opposite of wha dem 2 do  ;D ;D
Live large and prosper!

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 11:48:43 AM »
Jack should have been more professional about the situation especially when his back up is ah 17 yr old. When club managers don't like to release men for games we quick to complain (rightly so) but the players need to respect the clubs because at the end of the day they are paying the salaries.

I understand jack want to be part of the celebration, I would have done the same and pay de fine...but deep down we all know Jack was wrong.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 11:50:02 AM »
They've been advised not to follow Dwight and Latas's lead ;D ;D
Dey were told to do de opposite of wha dem 2 do  ;D ;D

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

my nominee for post of the month :chilling:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 12:55:20 PM »
PLayers name bouncing round in not being committed to they club. Jack name is not the first. Everybody know bout Yorke past discressions. Trinis lil to laid back. Jack not only representin himself he representin other men to play in the future. Suppose somebody come out and say Trinis not professional and that they should not be invested in. Thye will find ample proof to support that. Jack lucky he is the only keeper they have. I bet you they buy somebody next year. I woulda give him a bligh cause he is the best that could be done. Next season is axe.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Dundee Mad

• New Warrior
  • Dee4Life and Beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 01:02:08 PM »
He's back now , he's gonna pay his dues and hopefully learn his lesson and have a good season. That said, with the crap defence he has in front of him he'll at least get plenty practice for the World Cup.

Offline Dundee Mad

• New Warrior
  • Dee4Life and Beyond
    • View Profile
You Guys
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 01:05:54 PM »
Are not a bad bunch. Cheers for letting me say my piece about Kelvin and being able to debate the points without any abuse kicking in.

I'll pop in from time to time and let you know how our big goalie is getting on and keep an eye on your progress to Germany.

Does anyone know if those red Trini shirts come in a super fast bassa size?

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 01:10:05 PM »
I don't think that is fair to compare Jack to Yorke in the past, yih forget that them men used to go out of their way to lime and party and used beating Canada as a reason to miss they club commitments..

Also to use this as evidence of us being laid back is not fair either. I was one who couldn't believe that any of the non-locals weren't coming back. It seems that Luton gave Edwards permission, Sancho done in the dog house, who knows what Stern situation is. The rest went back.

Jack obviously thought that he could make the trip home, of course that is a stupid or even irresponsible thought but without other evidence of slackness you can't pass judgement on the man.

The TTFF have to take some blame because they will get the shaft when they want these players in the future. If you know that Jack and others need to get back to their clubs you have no right bringing them home. Also saying that we getting the clubs back for their reluctance to release players does not make sense because we benefit from our players being at these clubs.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: You Guys
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 01:22:19 PM »
Glad to see that you are learning to relax now, especially with Jack back at Dundee. Trinbago players are dedicated.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 01:26:35 PM »
Are not a bad bunch. Cheers for letting me say my piece about Kelvin and being able to debate the points without any abuse kicking in.

I'll pop in from time to time and let you know how our big goalie is getting on and keep an eye on your progress to Germany.

Does anyone know if those red Trini shirts come in a super fast bassa size?

Respeck Dundee.  As soon as we find out bout dem shirts, we will let u know.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 01:38:06 PM »
Dundee much love.  Again, my apologies for the harangue.

Offline DeeTillEhDie

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005, 04:03:13 PM »
If kelvin had gone that would be the last straw our managers made some rank decisions so far but to fire him would just be the worst one yet... glad kernaghan saw sence and let him stay... I dont agree that he HAD to be back by saturday cant he celebrate with his country??

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Leh we pay Kelvin Jack fine
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2005, 05:29:15 PM »
But, while his apology was accepted, Jack is likely to be fined by the club.
Share your thoughts ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005, 05:30:41 PM by Tallman »

1]; } ?>