April 20, 2024, 06:23:17 AM

Author Topic: Ricky Shakes is last gasp Bury hero  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ricky Shakes is last gasp Bury hero
« on: April 10, 2005, 07:19:00 AM »
By Y3K Shakers

Two Brian Barry-Murphy corners helped Bury put two goals past the struggling Harriers who were just moments away from picking up all three points. Bury had taken an early lead but substitute Ricky Shakes netted his first goal for the Shakers to earn a share of the spoils in injury time.

It was a case of last minute heartbreak for Kidderminster Harriers who were just moments away from a crucial three points that would boost their chances of football league survival.

The ending would have been as frustrating as the beginning for Harriers boss Stuart Watkiss who witnessed his side begin slowly and allow the Shakers a good amount of the ball without challenge, something that was missing as Bury took an early lead.

Thanks to Dave Flitcroft's run, Bury won a corner. Brian Barry-Murphy whipped in one of his left foot specialities which dropped straight onto the forehead of Chris Porter who headed the ball past goalkeeper John Danby's despairing dive.

Winning a corner, Brian Barry-Murphy whipped in one of his left foot specialities which dropped straight onto the forehead of Chris Porter who headed the ball past goalkeeper John Danby's despairing dive.

It was the fourth time in three games that Porter had found the net against the Harriers and he was close to getting on the end of a through ball soon after but a last ditch challenge stopped him firing in a second goal.

Bury's opener provoked the home side into coming out and attacking and Glyn Garner had to be at his best on a couple of occasions to stop difficult long range efforts but the Welshman was partly at fault for the eleventh minute equaliser.

Having been in the lead for just three minutes, Garners weak goal kick didn't make the halfway line and Dave Challinor was half asleep when the ball returned towards the penalty area for Blair Sturrock to nip in and drive the ball past the goalkeeper.

Colin Kazim-Richards, being booed for a couple of fair but heavy challenges on Danby had a great chance early in the second half but he blasted Barry-Murphy's knockdown high over the bar from eight yards out when it seemed much easier to score.

Danny Boshell had been brought on to add another body and a midfield boost for the Shakers but replacing Porter meant that Kazim-Richards was relying on Simon Whaley and Tom Kennedy on the flanks, who were both too busy with their midfield and defensive tussles.

Garner again had to be alert to stop some powerful efforts from outside the box as Bury relied on the counterattack. Sitting back caused themselves a number of problems as the Harriers, desperate for a goal with their nearest League Two rivals Rushden & Diamonds being beaten, pushed forward and kept Bury in their own half. Only the calm and collected Boshell made the most of the few balls he found at his feet and attempted to feed Kennedy and Whaley through on goal but good defending kept them out.

With nine minutes left, the majority of fans inside Aggborough were celebrating an important goal as Dean Keates slipped his marker to dive and connect with a header that crashed past Garner who had done his best to stop the original cross.

Bury began to profit as the Harriers began to defend their fragile lead and young midfielder Dave Buchanan came on to join fellow substitute Ricky Shakes to boost their attacking play. Buchanan impressed during his nine minutes on the field and his mazy run and cross ended up with Boshell and not the ball in the back of the net.

Graham Barrow's men weren't finished yet though and the good number of visiting supporters roared their side on as the referee announced four minutes of injury time would be played.

A Bury attack was cleared into midfield and Challinor and a Harriers forward accidentally collided with each other before referee Clive Oliver correctly waved play on. Bury had a goal unfairly disallowed last weekend for a similar incident but this time the attack resulted in a corner.

It was Barry-Murphy again who supplied the ball into the box for Dwayne Mattis and Shakes to bundle the ball into the net from close range.

It was the Bolton Wanderers loanee who celebrated and was credited with the last gasp equaliser that left the home support, players and management furious and upset with the outcome after Oliver ended the game shortly afterwards.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I would love to stay at Bury - Shaker Shakes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 09:24:57 AM »
Shakes: I would love to stay at Bury.[/color]

Ricky Shakes chats to Shakers World following his first ever league goal.

"It was definitely a tough game for us, Kidderminster were well up for it and we had to be spot on throughout the game."
"That was my first league goal, and I'm really pleased and excited about that.It was really our last chance of getting anything from the game and I just thought I'd stay in the box, normally I am on the edge, but I stayed there.I saw all the players go forward, I drifted back a little and saw the ball coming towards me."
"It cam straight at me and I got my head onto it and see where it goes, I have to admit though, I did close my eyes."
"It was a very physical game and Kidderminster were up for the scrap and it was tough for us.I came on for Colin and the gaffer had told me that I would be getting a game at some point."
"It was just a case of waiting for it to happen, I knew I was coming on, but I never expected to come on and score a goal."
"Bury supporters don't normally like Bolton players, but I may become a little exception to the rule, I'll even change my name for them if they want and add a letter R at the end."
"I'm out of contract at the end of the season.I don't know the situation with me at Bolton at the moment, I'm here at Bury until the end of the season and we will see what happens after that."
"Bolton will tell me what's going to happen at the end of the season, but we will wait and see what the gaffer says here at Bury, and if I got the opportunity I would love to stay at Bury, they are a good set of players and a good manager, I cant go wrong here."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 11:02:54 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ricky Shakes is last gasp Bury hero
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 09:58:18 AM »
shakes should go to a league one team why  drop so fardown . .bury at the bottom why not  a team that is going to be promoted to leage one.

shakes who is yuh agent bwoy
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 02:41:26 PM »
HE NOWHERE CLOSE TO BENHAKKER PLANS I SURE OF THAT NOW
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 08:24:06 PM »
well it depends on how effective he plays his position
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 12:43:35 PM »
What makes you think after coming on as a sub and scoring 1 goal, make you think he is ready for 1 div...?? Just a question... I have never seen him play and have only heard his name mentioned a few times... Have you ever seen him play??? IS he 1 div material or higher??? What are you basing your ideas on?? Because he have trini blood or because all trinis should be playing at the highest level....

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 01:26:25 PM »
I am basing my idea on how well he plays his position neva see him play but id he is effective and cn score well sure.remeber stern play in a higher division and aint so great these days

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 04:39:58 PM »
I heard he looked good for the under 20s when he was here. However nothing really spectacular ........j
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

jusme

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 11:11:13 AM »
well wasn't he at least part of a premiership squad for parts of this season.  When you consider his age, that would indicate to me that somebody who know football thinks he has ability.

1]; } ?>