March 28, 2024, 01:46:28 PM

Author Topic: Like the PFL eh making progress  (Read 1900 times)

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
Like the PFL eh making progress
« on: April 12, 2005, 07:19:55 AM »
Dey down to 7 teams now  :(
Live large and prosper!

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Like the PFL eh making progress
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 10:32:27 AM »
Dey had ah meeting in January tuh discuss a possible merger between de PFL and de NSL, but ah never hear de outcome. It seem as doh de biggest obstacle is corporate sponsorship. If de teams cyar guarantee dat dey  have de funds necessary tuh operate at dat level den dey wouldn't be accepted. Nobody from de NSL was promoted tuh de PFL because de two top finishers (Joe Public and L-Sporto Connection) declined to enter into de play-offs against de two bottom finishers (Southwest Drillers and Tobago United) of de PFL. Nixon was begging fuh sponsorship of North East Stars and is only after dey win de title last year dat dey end up getting sponsored by National Quarries. Maybe de PFL's plans/visions are not attractive or dey have not been communicated effectively tuh de private sector. Maybe dey lack clarity or is just growing pains.

When de MLS start in 1996 dey had 10 teams. Nine years later, dey only have 12 teams and is only dis year dat dey start a reserve league. Along de way, two teams (Tampa Bay Mutiny and Miami Fusion) ceased operations. Doh talk fuh de A-league. Yuh cyar begin tuh count de fluctuation in club membership. It seem as doh every year some team does pack up.

Anodda ting tuh remember is dat de current incarnation of de PFL is only 3 years old. Jack started it in 1999 but den he pack up in 2002.

Along wit de development of youth football, de PFL is critical tuh de future success of de national teams.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 11:13:41 AM »
I thought that Starworld left, and Petrotrin came in, but I just saw where Southwest Drillers are now under Petrotrin's "umbrella". Thanks man.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 11:32:30 AM by doc »
Live large and prosper!

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 11:30:48 AM »
I thought that Starworld left

Yes, Starworld Strikers left because according tuh de PFL:

"...due to the inability of the club to provide the league with the necessary financial guarantees that will ensure they will be able to fulfill its contractual obligations to its players."

Bi Water Stokely Vale applied tuh join de PFL dis year but dey couldn't come up wit de cash.

De PFL definitely lacks marketing. Dey website is inadequate, de games are not comprehensively covered in de newspapers, de games are not advertised well etc. For example, I tink yuh should be able tuh go into any sports store, grocery, pharmacy etc. and get a schedule. Dey should be handing out dem ting by de counter in Hi-Lo when yuh paying fuh yuh groceries. Everytime I go home, it does be ah drama tuh find out when and where dey have games. We go see if it change dis year.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2005, 11:39:31 AM »
Tallman, it is rumoured that the NSL is more watched and publicized than de PFL any confirmation on that?
I heard dat man more checkin for de NSL, more communal maybe but dat is wha I hear.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 12:12:24 PM »
Hey guys we have to sympatise with the state football has reached in the country,football is not making any money so how could it pay money,the people that used to support football can't afford to pay to go and see football any more,we talk about sponsership,how long could someone sponser a team,any one that puts out want to get back something sometime but there is nothing to get back,the NSL has a following because it's more community based and the games are free which is what Trini's like,but it does not do football in the country any good every thing in football today is money,to have or run a good league takes money.That's why when people supporting we pay Latapy what he is asking for and we don't even have a good league in the country where are we heading.

Offline ironman

• Full Warrior
  • dont joke with u life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005, 12:43:30 PM »
NSL is more of a community league,Tony Harford who runs the NSL is a very intelligent man,on Fridays they have a ting called Friday nite Lime where there is a boule header with drinks ,food ,music and football,woman like peas!
This is the kind of thing you need.More people watch the NSL though it is not well marketed also but it feels more fan friendly.I think that the PFL needs a huge sponsor soon to really have the funds to market and get the public involved in the game.Co-operate T&T is very unwilling to sponsor anything,which I think is signs of a deeper socio-economic problem,I know as a fact that most places just dont care!
The NSL needs attention as it could be seen not as a 2nd tier but as a kinda........hard to explain,I  am young  but heard OF POSFL,SFA,SFL ect which the older heads on the board could expand on and I researched and realised that at peaks of the national teams 66,73,88-89 we had all these leagues were pulling massive crowds and had good football, I remember Gally saying he played in more than one league for the season.Could this be something to look at today?
I work in Point Lisas and often think the present small industrial league which exsist could be developed to be vibrant and it will be a crowd puller, that is another 100 players exposed to a decent level of ball.Yarra-Norway,Proman-Germany,PCS-Canada,Mittal-India,Farmland-US,Phoenix Gas,Plipdico,Atlas,Titan,you telling me Camps cyah find a way to tap into all that millions?Get some of the talent that does waste away out of the SSFL working some hours and training some you must get some gems along the way.
tell them it was me

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005, 12:44:35 PM »
I am surprised that the PFL exists in its current form and is able to support fulltime professionals.

Whatever they are doing to keep the league alive they need to continue.

If they could keep the league alive it will only get better and more self-suficient but changes have to be made.

Advertsing is definitely an option but it is risky because that could bus yuh if it doesn't pull in people.

Comminuty based incentives definitely have to be found to get people involved.

WHat iron mention above for the NSL is the key they need to incorporate lime, women, music and grog to get people in to see the games.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2005, 12:46:13 PM by JDB »
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005, 02:38:49 PM »
Unless we don't get the crowds coming out to our games football is going to die a natural death,you could bring how much women,grog etc you want thay is not going to help,people not going to football because of the women that's just a small part of the show,what will bring crowds out is good football,when people go to see football today who they going to see,every team in the past had players you went to see play, since when we start haveing sponsership,the more sponsership we get the worst the game gets,what these players getting paid for,every player in T&T wants to be paid,you don't pay people for nothing.     

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 02:48:46 PM »
What you are trying to sell is the experience, the love for the football itself comes after.

I have taken plenty people who never went football to see T&T play and all they talk about is how much fun they had, not the game or football persay.

If you get people to come again and again and eventually it becaomes a ritual. They have to find some thing other than football to get people into the gates first because we know that football for the sake of football is not going to do it.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

1]; } ?>